Jyp's Wonder Girls (원더걸스) Official Thread 2

Guest `starry.night

Guest hrmmmhum

To qoxie, wonderr23, wonderstruck, jcsmark, and EVERYONE who provides news, pictures, videos, and subs of the Wonder Girls, thank you so much!!! Wonderfuls like myself appreciate it very much!

I've read the title of this thread on Soompi before but I only started following and commenting (though not that often) since December. I'm glad I did because without this, I wouldn't have known all the little details the korean infotainment (<--using the way qoxie phrased it there) sites don't post! It's sad to see that many people complain about WG not being in the scene or not being successful when they don't know any of what's posted here! All they do is follow allkpop -_- I actually read a few of coolsmurf's old articles today; it's a pity he doesn't blog as often anymore, which I think is why we had a lack of WG articles on allkpop this past year.

Also, qoxie, this is late because I haven't had time to visit and comment, but I read your response about WG being #1 for 53 weeks on kkbox. Thank you for checking and clarifying that! Now I can include that in my list of WG's accomplishments x]

And in that article where allkpop took qoxie's translation, they said something about WG making that list even with lack of promotion in Asia. LACK OF PROMOTION? That's why I'm making a list of promotions, appearances, performances, concerts, and events WG had throughout 2010.

qoxie, do you mind if I use your timeline of WG's 2010 activities to respond to hateful comments? And if I use it to make separate lists (such as if the comment specifies U.S. or Asian activities)? Of course I'd credit you, but if you prefer not to have that, I'd respect your wishes =]

@wonderr23 I KNOW! Wonder Bang<3 hehe. And when they sing, the "Toni-i-ight" in the chorus (I think it was 1:14 in the video), did you see Sohee's signature move in Nobody?! :D I'm so happy! hahaha I was thinking about it and I think Big Bang is trying to reach out to an international audience, since they have the Las Vegas signs in their Tonight stage for the Big Bang show and the MV was filmed in Las Vegas for "expansive West" feel. So I thought maybe they're trying to follow

Wonder Girls into the U.S. with the Nobody-style mics and the retro (it's kind of 60s-ish, actually) Las Vegas neon signs. But maybe I'm just getting ahead of myself x) xP

Although I don't have any video-editing programs (I have Linux and the video-editing programs I've tried to find don't have the full tasks need to edit the video [like adding subtitles; it's lame] and the local libraries don't have these programs, either]), I'm going to work on learning Korean this summer if I have more time and hopefully, I'll be able to read enough at some point to translate articles! Or write translations for videos...

For now, I'll try to upload tweets but others are usually ahead of me.

But here's a tweet Mimi posted earlier! (Actually March 2nd, but no one has posted it)

mimimimi0502 Mimi

I have a headache.. seriously

• Replies 39.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest hrmmmhum

Also, I'm not sure if you guys already knew this, but @followWG just tweeted

Wonder Girls Fashion Week news is on NY Mag, Papermag, Freshness mag, Zimbio, and Luxist! Fiind them at our website www.wondergirlsworld.com

The "NY Mag" made me curious, because it's a pretty renowned magazine, right? So I went to wondergirlsworld.com but all I found about that was

Backstage at Vivienne Tam from NY Mag

as the title for the link to this:

http://www.wondergirlsworld.com/notice/841

That photo is them at Vivienne Tam's show and they have another link of the same photo where it has, "The Wonder Girls attend the Vivienne Tam Fall 2011 fashion show during Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week at The Theatre at Lincoln Center on February 12, 2011 in New York City. (February 11, 2011 – Photo by Stephen Lovekin/Getty Images North America)" as the caption.

So then I checked nymag.com to see if WG was in it and the are :D I'm not sure if that's anything news-worthy, but they're alongside other international stars:

Vivienne Tam's show

http://nymag.com/fashion/fashionshows/2011/fall/main/newyork/backstage/viviennetam/

They're also mentioned in an article about Irina Lazareanu at Anna Sui's show

She [Peaches Geldof, who is also mentioned] watched as a Korean girl group named The Wonder Girls made a minor paparazzi stir and rested her head tiredly on Eamon's shoulder, sitting upright only when...

http://nymag.com/daily/fashion/2010/02/fug_girls_irina_lazareanu_show.html

And by the way, wondergirlsworld.com also reported about WG being #1 on Hong Kong's kkbox for 52 (although it also went to 53) weeks! So WG knows, too ^^

No. 1 song on Hong Kong KKBOX Chart for 52 weeks! The Wonder Girls' Nobody

http://www.wondergirlsworld.com/notice/861

Guest jcsmark

Thank you qoxie and wonderr23 for Yenny’s diary translation. I was hoping she would leak some info about their album to tease us :P

Looks like many users here are on allkpop as well (judging by usernames and previous posts). When Wonder Girls’ comeback date approaches I’m sure there will be more articles of them. Even the owner of allkpop himself tweeted to Jane a few days ago, most likely to have the latest updates about the girls album lol. In fact, he probably already knows quite a bit about what’s going on. Way back in October, (before Rainstone revealed a few album details in January and even before JYP gave his speech at Pivot conference), he posted on 6theory forums that the Wonder Girls had a good lineup of producers working with them on the album. (If I remember correctly he was replying to a hater and said not to underestimate the Wonder Girls new album).

Wow, Wonder Girls are featured in so many magazines! Does anyone know if their appearance in Teen Vogue has been out yet?

Guest jcsmark

hi there, i was just wondering if anyone could give me the original picture of this sohee image.

69onyp.jpg

much appreciated, thankssssss.

I found this bigger picture on Daum, I'm not sure if it's the original though

sohee020.jpg

Has this been shared? It's the first time I've seen this photo of Sohee :)

sohee045.jpg

Guest *bluebutterfly*

This an old fan account but I'd thought I'd share. Let's keep this thread going strong. ^^

And I thought it was quite funny haha.

A fan speaks out about her weird experience with So Hee of the Wonder Girls during an autograph signing:

소희: 안녕하세요~^^So Hee: Hello~^^

나: 네 언니 너무이쁘세여ㅠㅠ아Fan: Unnie, you’re so pretty T_T

소희: 아 감사합니다^^ 이름이요!So Hee: Ah, thank you^^ Your name?

나: 언경이요!Fan: Un Kyung Ee!

소희: 네?So Hee: What?

나: 언경이요!!~~Fan: Un Kyung Ee!!~~

소희: 아…………진짜 이름이세요?So Hee: Uh……….. Is that really your name?

나: 네!..(????무슨 문제있나?????????)Fan: Yes!…(????What’s the problem?????????)

*after signing*

소희: 여기요!^^~Sohee: Here you are!^^~

^ To. 엉덩이^ To. Ung Dung Ee (which literally means “richard simmons” / “butt” in Korean)

credit: allkpop + cuteguirl wordpress

Also there's been an article on the average faces of kpop idol girl groups recently. I posted the picture in the previous page I think. I read comments over @Omonatheydidn't and they think Wonder Girls' average face is the prettiest. ^^

Guest qoxie

Hmmm, so many points to respond to.

Coolsmurf quit his blog to join akp, where I think he's still contributing.

He & the likes of cutegiurl were the earlier-generation 'international' WF updaters.

Incidentally, they had their own duels with Korean copyright holders over YT reloads -- & lost. (Those who want WGSpec to be more liberal: take note.)

(In fact, while researching this thread for WG's 2010 itinerary, I estimate 80 percent of the Soompi fanlinks to YT reloads of Korean TV shows in the past year have become dead links.

Yup, the clampdown was that hard. A shoutout to Pikeyenny for being most valiant, despite enduring constant deletions.)

Gave up on akp long ago, after a short initial trial. To each his/her own (& thanks for sharing their reports).

They had permanently alienated many WFs in the old days, so I tend to associate those who still go there as subsequent WF converts &/or sufferers who lacked alternative (English) Kpop sources.

I myself am fortunate in being able to get my Kpop news fix via various Chinese sources, plus English sites like dkpopnews & kpoplive.

hrmmmhum -- Sure, you can circulate my stuff but IMO it's flogging a dead horse.

The majority of international Kpop fans remain very Hanminguk-centric by habit, despite a flagging domestic scene & (as their industry is fearing) the passing of the idol craze. (Case in point: IU's breakout this year.)

Meanwhile, those who make it overseas are celebrated, but more by their respective fandoms.

But at least their US & Japan expansions (successful or not) received grudging respect by Kpop fans. China is a different story.

Maybe if it is due to political rivalries or English sites lacking translators. (Most Korean infotainment sites definitely face a language barrier, outside of Joongang Daily & TV Daily/Korea Star Daily who have their own Chinese portals.)

But, let's admit it, the idols' achievements in the Mainland -- as well as in Thailand (another thriving market), for that matter -- don't really register with Kpop fans (outside of the fandoms).

Overlooked, ignored, under-reported, whatever. The fandoms usually try to make up the shortfall in the comments section or updating at their own message boards.

Still, the results have been like preaching to the converted.

IMO The English translators' unfamilarity with the Chinese scene is a huge problem at the Kpop sites, cuz their readers lose out in the end.

With WG for example, I wince at every mention of 'Hunan Satellite TV' (it's literally correct, but the Asian press media here leave out 'Satellite' for the China TV stations) or, say, akp ignorantly questioning WG's win at the HK-held Yahoo Buzz Awards last year.

Guest qoxie

"SoHee Supermaket" 昭希超市 LOL

The written reference is similar to Soheechul 昭希澈 (combining characters from Sohee's 昭熙 & Heechul's 希澈 names).

The shop is in Zhenghou (Henan Province) in China, according to the weibo sender's profile.

Wow, the couple is preparing for their long-term future together :P

f8jF2.jpg

cr; as tagged

Guest wonderr23

^

Soheechul ftw!

-------------

Sunye went to a church called Gyeongseog earlier today. She sang a praise song which uhmm i'm not familiar with.lol Her voice is so sweet.

06-03-11 Wondergirls Sunye at Gyeongseog Church pt1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_uH1TiUGpA

06-03-11 Wondergirls Sunye at Gyeongseog Church pt2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVBbRUIZu0w

credit: lsajhj9332@naver

Yesterday I tried lying down my opinion about the issues of International wonderfuls but ended deleting all text. I'll try again now :)

It's not casual that this introspection is happening while we're waiting for the next big thing from the Wonder Girls. There's not many news & events, so it's a good idea to try to improve as fans.

We know well the weak points yet it's hard to come out with solutions -- some obstacles are though to overcome.

For example, it's clear that there are huge barriers between the Chinese, Korean & English speaking wonderfuls. My two cents are on that this is the most important issue. My take on that is that the culprit is more media companies than us fans.

As qoxie noticed, there's a problem with press & media not broadcasting information across borders, and this is reflected by the respective k-pop enthusiasts that are limited to follow events highlighted by their media -- tipically limited by geography.

When it comes down to Wonderfuls, there's a genuine effort to communicate across borders but I regret that it is not been as succesfull as it could be.

Last year when Sunmi choose to return the her studies a great improvement came when K-Wonderfuls & the US based Wonderfuls forged the Fan Union to help in that bad moment. Sadly this movement was not able to create a bond with the Chinese fanbase which kept their stance on the events.

I don't want to recall these events per-se, but as an example to show how, because of information barriers, the totality of Wonderfuls is not able to get to know well and support the Wonder Girls as good as they could. This has effect on all fans, regardless of their nationality, so it is affecting us too.

My point is that news are the main factor, or better, lack of easily accessible agency news. Fans are left searching and translating information on key news -- we should be searching behind the scenes, particulars, our own fixations instead.

Imagining a way to make things better, I believe that both main actors, that is the professional media and fans should contribute. Not easy at all, because media has its own goals and requirements (hard money must be spent for a reason), and we fans have not a magic wand to become multi-lingual and aware of cultural differences.

A small step that I believe English speaking fans could try - is pushing Allkpop to take the role of primary reliable source for all things Kpop and Wonder Girls in the western part of the world. I think about this because we know that they have persons aware of the situation and it is clear that the English speaking world is lacking an authoritative kpop news coverage. Allkpop is the closest thing to a kpop related news agency, but IMHO it is still contempt with mixing chitty chat, unverified internet material and some really good contents. They produce good coverage when something is happening on American soil, but slide back to casual mode too often. It's not always like that, for example some good articles came out on WG's 4th anniversary, but that's still my personal impression about them.

Well, supposing that my impression is correct, things are not the same as pre-2009, when Kpop was still an underground movement in the U.S. It's not good for Allkpop to continue basing their venture on too much grassroots news. If the Wonder Girls and other Hallyu artists will hit the U.S. Markets and at the moment there are no top-notch information sites about Kpop in the U.S., it will be the mainstream entertainment media to take over that role (or maybe Mnet US?)

---

hrmmmhum thanks for including me in your congratulatory list, despite these days I am not contributing as much as I would like to the thread. I think in the last few weeks I have been more of a lurker than an active member.

I hope this is not a repost... WonderGirlsFr has tweeted this Friday about this unseen footage taken in Cannes during MIPCOM.

Tendance TV: Mipcom red carpet at the Martinez with Wonder Girls

Credit: WonderGirlsFr@twitter

Translation from French:

Mipcom's red carpet at [Hotel] Martinez with TV stars and the Wonder Girls coming from Korea. With Jon Hamm and Elisabeth Moss of "Mad Men", Andrew Lincoln, Sarah Wayneet, Robert Kirkman of "The Walking Dead", Luke Perry of "Goodnight for Justice", Emily Rose, Lucas Bryant and Eric Balfour of "Haven", Valerie Bertinelli, Jane Leeves and Wendy Malick ("Hot in Cleveland"), the exclusive Wonder Girls show.

Tendance TV is probably a local press agency video site. They have many Cannes - Nice - Montecarlo event videos, and they've also put up an English language web site with the same content (www.tendancetv.us).

Despite not being one of the big guns of French TV, I liked many things about this video.

Of 23 minutes, 13 are dedicated to our girls, including a part where the interviewer is in desperate search of Wonder Girls fans. Bad luck, as the event was closed to the public.

Then there's the music score: since the beginning it is nonstop Irony - Nobody - Tell Me! This is truly Wonder effect!! :lol:

The footage covers the Wonder Girls show at night, but I remember that audio was awful then, so it's not including the live audio, just the final cheers at the end.

I guess this is another case for the French leading Europe as Wonder Girls supporters. For such a brief event, it's been covered by many agencies.

@qoxie - SOHEECHUL . . . That's so cute !!!

@wonderr23  - Thank you so much for uploading Sunye singing at church... She looks so pretty in these videos, and of course her voice is beautiful and angelic (as always) =) I'm so happy to hear Sunye's voice *o* It's easier to wait for their comeback if we can hear them and see them like this =)

@wonderstruck - Thanks for the news =) But I have a question... Are you french ?! Because you translated the french part... Actually I'm french that's why I want to know =D

Guest qoxie

Jane Kim tweeted to say she's back in NYC.

Source (in Hangul): http://twitter.com/J...413812442533888

She also said she mistook someone else's bag for Sunye's in baggage claim.

Hmm, so she has WG's luggage. Is WG with her?

Source (in Hangul): http://twitter.com/J...420537891557376

She also mentioned she was worried her huge load of CDs would attract the tax people & airport security, then updated to say the latter did spot them.

Thanks to a3256856 @ Baidu for the Chinese translations.

- - - - - - -

Fanpics of Sunye at church:

PZfMD.jpg

WtTvi.jpg

VPUQP.jpg

e4L8w.jpg

Source: http://blog.naver.com/lsajhj9332

@wonderstruck - Thanks for the news =) But I have a question... Are you french ?! Because you translated the french part... Actually I'm french that's why I want to know =D

I'm from Italy (Milan). I know a bit about France -- I've visited Paris, the Riviera and Provence. My knowledge of French is scholastic. It's a pity I could not excercise it -- currently I understand spoken and written French, but can't really write in it.

Well, if the girls return to Cannes I know the route and my French is enough to ask directions :sweatingbullets:

---

^

Huge load of CD's? They could the new single.

But there have been no news about shooting the MV and JYP was supposed to be meeting Claude Kelly... how I wish I knew more.

Guest valentino_rossi46

^

Huge load of CD's? They could the new single.

But there have been no news about shooting the MV and JYP was supposed to be meeting Claude Kelly... how I wish I knew more.

Of course it's not the new single, cuz if she bring huge load of new singles then distribute in US is broken the law :Ư

It could be the DVDs, movie, drama, albums etc, she brought a lot so she and the girls, other staffs can enjoy when they're free in US :P

Guest itsWonderTime

"SoHee Supermaket" 昭希超市 LOL

The written reference is similar to Soheechul 昭希澈 (combining characters from Sohee's 昭熙 & Heechul's 希澈 names).

The shop is in Zhenghou (Henan Province) in China, according to the weibo sender's profile.

Wow, the couple is preparing for their long-term future together :P

*quoted image*

cr; as tagged

aww  lol thats so cute, i love this couple

i think the main reason why this couple is so cute is because heechul displays his affection for her while sohee doesnt show any at all lol!

or maybe shes hiding it? lol

i remember seeing on akp that heechul had his wallpaper with sohee on it, i thought that was the cutest thing ever!

Guest hrmmmhum

Of course it's not the new single, cuz if she bring huge load of new singles then distribute in US is broken the law :Ư

It could be the DVDs, movie, drama, albums etc, she brought a lot so she and the girls, other staffs can enjoy when they're free in US :P

Actually, I think it could be a sample of a song or a couple of songs. Didn't Jordin Sparks tweet about "You're Out" being her favorite WG song not too long ago and we thought she could have received a sample of the recorded English version? It could be something like that.

Guest wonderr23

Hyerim is still in Korea attending school!

WG_Lim Hye Rim Woo

Im at school~~

5 hours ago

shared?

Wonder Girls’ “Taiwan Special Edition”, No. 1 Album & Digital Single on music.qq.com!

FYI, music.qq.com is the biggest music website in China.

http://music.qq.com/

2010_QQ_MUSIC_2.jpg

March 05, 2011

credit: wondergirlsworld.com

-----------------

BTW Big Bang entered the Top 10 Billboard Heatseekers at number 7 and Number 2 at Billboard World Charts! Wow!! Amazing achievement considering they didn't have any sort of tour or promotions!! I think JYP should do something about this before the "others" infiltrates the scene.lol esp 2NE1! I've been carefully analyzing their contents and must say...there is an 80% possibility rate of them succeeding in the US soil. They splurge on productions and of course the quality of their music is just very "unique". But whatever...i still give WG a 100!rofl. I still believe that WG are the next big thing! Global stars to be exact. Not because i'm their fan..because i know they can deliver something universal out there.

Guest qoxie

Kpop "Idol Map" (self-explanatory): http://idolmap.com/

Looks like the site was created recently (mid-Feb), so I don't think this was the reference source for those media articles at the start of the year.

The map charts look different in design too.

In any case, there are also separate boyband/girlband rankings, foreign-activity scores & overall scoreboards, plus message boards for the idol groups.

Look for 원더걸스 to see where WG is located.

Archived