[Drama 2009] Queen Seon Deok 선덕여왕

Guest White Star

Guest khiza

I completely agree with everything. Its too early to say that QS is in decline, just because you don't like lee yo won playing the character. I think she's good she proved it when i watched SBDH. If you don't like her acting why do you still watch it?then rant on it in this thread don't you think its a little too childish on your part. If you want to say that she's bad then rant on your blog or something. i don't want to say anything before but this is just too much.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest lynn_9344

honestly, I don't know lee yo won acting merits that well...why is there criticism already about her in terms of acting?...did she fail in some of her past projects?...may i ask which one that she lack focus in?

this is the first time i see her ever...she's doing fine to me

Prejudice.I believe she is now criticized not bec of her acting in this drama but bec of previous drama series Bad Love. I don't think she failed though it's just that it was a really bad script. I like her in Surgeon Bong Dal hee and Fashion 70's. Anyway, let's just enjoy watching Queen Seon Deok as I am :)

By the way, is there ep 11 preview?

Guest MisterBarca

If you don't like her acting why do you still watch it?then rant on it in this thread don't you think its a little too childish on your part. If you want to say that she's bad then rant on your blog or something. i don't want to say anything before but this is just too much.

I watch the drama because I like everything else about it except Lee Yo-won. Nothing human is flawless and having only 1 conspicuously bad part is not bad.

As for not airing my criticisms, is there a rule that says one has to say only good things about every drama/movie discussed on this site? If so, then show me.

Guest MisterBarca

Actually, "feed on that" was meant to be in the context of trying to satiate what apparently seems to be REALLY lacking in this drama, says you.

And please don't give me that kindergarten argument bs. I don't appreciate you insulting my choice of words--I never did that to you. If you claim to be better than the "ignorant mob" then act like it and have some class. As for me, I don't have any so I guess the words that I use aren't up there with your middle-aged banter...apparently you're an old guy who has nothing better to do than come to this thread and complain about how this drama is in decline and how it's going to sink....blah blah blah. It's getting really annoying---if you don't like, DON'T WATCH. It's that simple. You can state your opinions about how the acting isn't up to par for you, which a lot of others have also done, that's fine. Otherwise don't come in here and ruin it for the people who DO like it and ARE rooting for the drama to succeed.

1. I think it was reasonable to interpret "feed on that" phrase as an insult in the context. If not, then my apologies. But you must understand that exchanges on this forum does often get childish and people start hurling insults with little or even no provocation.

2. How am I lacking in "class"? Have I ever cussed out people? Have I used vulgar language to attack people?

I am low class simply because I am worried that a potentially great drama is being undermined by one bad performance? I know it's only Internet, but you should still be more careful with the words you choose.

3. I am in my mid-30s; I guess that's "middle aged," eh? But then, I suppose to someone in their teens anything over 25 is ancient.

4. You and others keep accusing me of bashing this drama, and how I ought to stop watching the drama if I don't like it. But as I've emphasized in the post before this, I've only criticized Lee Yo-won's acting; I've praise just about everything else about this drama to the proverbial heavens! In fact, if you did a simple post count, you would recognize that I've written vastly more posts praising this drama than criticizing it.

Nor is it true that I want this drama to fail. Anything but, as there is no more passionate sa-geuk fanatic on this board than me perhaps except "Anarchist."

5. Finally, you and some other posters feel that you own this forum and that you can dictate what is permitted to be written and what is not. But this is a public forum, where people with divergent ideas come to exchange their views.

Nor is my opinion a decidedly minority one, as at least two frequent and prominent posters (in fact, two of the moderators) agree with me on Lee's acting flaws. So don't act like you are the voice of the people of sorts here either.

Guest prabhat240

EP 11 AND 12 WRITTEN PREVIEW

Kim Yushin rides out alone to bring the order to retreat to Kim Seohyeon, and verifies whether Deokman is alive or dead.

Finding Deokman alive among the dead Paekche soldiers, Kim Yushin hoists Deokman on his back.

But in Seorabeol, Mishil's attempts, citing paper (military) strategy to leave Kim Seohyeon and Kim Yushin, surrounded by the Paekche army, to their demise is checked vigorously by (Princess) Cheonmyeong...

AND

Seokpum attempts to execute Deokman for not following military order of Alchan.

To this Kim Yushin proposes that (his hwarang unit) Yong Hwa Hyang Do will stand vanguard to create an opening for the retreat.

Seokpum and Alchan run off to the (safety of) rear of the retreating (Shilla) army, while Kim Yushin and Yong Hwa Hyang Do face the Paekche army and survive.

(King) Jinpyeong and (Princess) Cheonmyeong bestow acceptance as hwarang of Seorabeol to Kim Yushin, which is regarded with jealousy by the other 10 hawrangs...

Guest haerin_phan

I can't find any reason why people keep criticizing Lee Yo Won in QSD. I actually think she looks pretty and strong enough for this role. Deok Man should be someone not so girly , with strong will and always stay optimistic rite? That's how LYW comes out in QSD also,then why do people oppose her so much?

I just love this drama more and more along the way. And I really really hope for Yushin and Deok Man to fall in love, coz I like both of them a lot....

Those who is ok with LYW, plz wish for them to end up together !!! Can't wait for the next eps T_T

Guest haerin_phan

Totally agree with Daemang :) . The roles were decided,cannot change already.Main character is the soul of any drama --> For those who don't like her acting, you can't probably bare with the drama either, rite?

So, stop watching the whole series,try to find something else more suitable for your taste. Would you be happy watching while feeling uncomfortable about the so-called "acting flaws"(_said you_) ?

btw, thank prabhat240 for your preview, I'm counting down to Mon and Tue again :(

Guest dramaok

thx! and welcome to soompi.

--

ok regarding lee yowon. i don't think anyone hates her or anything. just some ppl love her, some ppl don't really care either way, and some ppl are kinda let down by her. the thing is she's got the title role which means she needs to be captivating from the getgo.. which she hasn't really done for some ppl, but she obviously is great to some other ppl too.. i am a little puzzled myself why she got the title role. she is kinda cute and like 'B' list actress so to get the title role is weird. but she's much better than seong yuri so i try not to complain too much either. but i hope she gets into her role more and more and prove me and every critic wrong. one thing though.. the PD and writer must have 100% faith in her to cast her as title role so let's wait and see.

--

20090624120505430g61220.jpg

이승효 [Lee seunghyo]

he plays 'arlcheon' and getting a lotta buzz.. he kinda looks like ji hyeonwoo doesn't he? :w00t:

--

1044249720503ba0082fdbc.jpg

lil bojong. 곽정욱 [Kwak jeongwook]

he's actually a 1990'er. so not so minor. hee. but not so hot looking w/out his hwarang garb. :ph34r:

Prejudice.I believe she is now criticized not bec of her acting in this drama but bec of previous drama series Bad Love. I don't think she failed though it's just that it was a really bad script. I like her in Surgeon Bong Dal hee and Fashion 70's. Anyway, let's just enjoy watching Queen Seon Deok as I am :)

By the way, is there ep 11 preview?

I totally agree with you....

Guest ruishi

i had onced expressed that if LYW's acting hasn't improved, QSD just might be doomed.

now, after seeing her 1st 2 episodes, i must say her acting's quite alright so far.

i'm one of those who aren't ecstatic she's the title holder, though she was able to pick up NJH's interpretation of

deokman & their acting is quite in-tuned with each other, i still can't say that LYW is alright to be QSD.

in terms of physical appearance, she's way too skinny. after all the hwarang trainings she's supposed to have done,

she should have muscles (even just a bit, just to make it a bit realistic).

in terms of acting, i hope she continuous to do ok as deokman/seondeok (i don't want to keep my hopes up,

i'm not expecting a great performance, just ok will do).

.....However, the one that I find "fault" with is Uhm Tae Woong. He looks as though he is in a daze, or bored/tired.....

as for UTW, i'm not impressed (yet?) as well. his performance is quite bland so far. but then, i think most actors

are like that in the beginning of a drama, until the time they get used to or get the feel of their characters.

.....why do i get the feeling that yu shin knows deokman is a girl?.....

it seems to me that he looks at him/her longingly. then when he left for battle, he had to

look back at him/her. unless he's gay (lol), he wouldn't do that right?!

Guest lynn_9344

I can't find any reason why people keep criticizing Lee Yo Won in QSD. I actually think she looks pretty and strong enough for this role. Deok Man should be someone not so girly , with strong will and always stay optimistic rite? That's how LYW comes out in QSD also,then why do people oppose her so much?

I just love this drama more and more along the way. And I really really hope for Yushin and Deok Man to fall in love, coz I like both of them a lot....

Those who is ok with LYW, plz wish for them to end up together !!! Can't wait for the next eps T_T

Amen to that:) . I can hardly wait for the future episodes.

Guest hjkomo

http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/6801/20...05430g61220.jpg

이승효 [Lee seunghyo]

he plays 'arlcheon' and getting a lotta buzz.. he kinda looks like ji hyeonwoo doesn't he? :w00t:

ehh...a little in that pic, but not so much as a cross-dressing thief in Strongest Chil Woo. ;)

http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/8263/10...3ba0082fdbc.jpg

lil bojong. 곽정욱 [Kwak jeongwook]

he's actually a 1990'er. so not so minor. hee. but not so hot looking w/out his hwarang garb. :ph34r:

barely legal...lucky for you :lol:

okay, I'll try to catch up soon.

Guest smarties24

Actually, her battle scenes prove my point more than yours. She was both lacking in soldierly resolve/toughness and charisma befitting a leader of men (her effort to take over the command toward the end was so strained that it was borderline comedy). In fact, the guy who played 알천 was far more convincing as a leader and made Lee look like a delinquent cub scout.

One only hopes. And such transformations are possible. I can think of Seo Ji-hye's dramatic growth in "Sin Don" as an example, as well as Sin Se-gyung's maturation even within this drama. But Lee is no neophyte in the acting business. In fact, this is her second sa-geuk. So chances are that she won't improve, and the drama will sink, UNLESS the focus is deflected more to Mi-Sil and Cheon-Myung.

This is Lee yo won's first time playing this kind of role so you can't compare her acting in QSD to her first sa-geuk where she played a completely different character. Also, even if she doesn't seem as tough as the other guys, this is fine because she is meant to be mentally stronger. I think she is doing great and I am enjoying the show just as much since she appeared.

Thanks for the preview prabhat240! Much appreciated :)

Exactly!

Be realistic, this is Deok Man's first time in battle field. I wonder if people expect LYW to act like the greatest commander in history. Beside, the plot says she is having the first glimpse of a real battle as a Hwarang, and how she will overcome the fear and demonstrate the eager to survive and come out as a stronger Hwarang (according to Cheon Myung's conversation with Kim in ep9). Don't forget DK's real motive is to look for his dad, not to kill or be killed in a battlefield. As far as I can see, LYW did an adequate (but not outstanding) job on the transition from Nam Ji Hyun in ep8/9. Among the grownup of the main characters. LYW is actually the better one at the moment. Park Ye Jin is like having a anxiety attack, completely lost the determination and confidence of youjng Cheon Myung in ep7/8. After viewing ep9 again with sub, I can understand the reason behind it but still not a good way to portray Princess Cheon Myung who is "currently" regarded as the greatest opponent by Mi Shil. PYJ doesn't has a lot of scenes in ep9/10, so she has lots of chances to get back on track. Uhm Tae Woong didn't look good as Kim Yoo Shin at first too, but again after watching ep9 with sub, I see what the writer trying to show and I now think he is doing an okay but not outstanding job like LYW. Both LYW and KYS are doing better in ep10, ep10 is so straight forward that you don't need sub to understand. PYJ only has a few minutes in ep10, so not much comment can be made.

I can't wait for ep11.

This is Lee yo won's first time playing this kind of role so you can't compare her acting in QSD to her first sa-geuk where she played a completely different character. Also, even if she doesn't seem as tough as the other guys, this is fine because she is meant to be mentally stronger. I think she is doing great and I am enjoying the show just as much since she appeared.

Thanks for the preview prabhat240! Much appreciated :)

Guest nysophia_x_ii

i really think people need to ease up on lee yeowon...it's just a bit harsh that people are criticizing her from the get-go...she's just started acting into her character, and i don't think even the scriptwriter has it written in stone exactly how she wants QSD's character to be. as the story progresses, lee yeowon will get better, i think. you can't compare her to GHJ, whose already an acting legend in korea...

i personally think that she's doing alright for now. i'm sure that she will get more and more into character. have faith in the actors if you want to keep watching this drama guys.

Guest reddynamitez

i jsut finished watching ep. 10.

i thought the war scene were really good.

I hated the HwaRangs before for bullying YuShin's group, but they def changed my mind.

They were really brave and really knows what they were doing. It was cool to see them in action. I can see why they don't like YuShin's group.

I was completely disappointed with YuShin's group, even though it was their first time. especially the guy that peed in his own pants.

Hopefully they'll learn from this and get stronger and earn the respect from the other HwaRangs later...

Guest lostcauz

lol, at their patheticness, im sticking with this drama to see them progress into a force to be reckon with, as for the acting its to early to say anything

Guest MisterBarca

i jsut finished watching ep. 10.

i thought the war scene were really good.

I hated the HwaRangs before for bullying YuShin's group, but they def changed my mind.

They were really brave and really knows what they were doing. It was cool to see them in action. I can see why they don't like YuShin's group.

I was completely disappointed with YuShin's group, even though it was their first time. especially the guy that peed in his own pants.

Hopefully they'll learn from this and get stronger and earn the respect from the other HwaRangs later...

The guy who jumped up after seeing the snake should've definitely been executed. War is no play.

Archived