Director Kim Jee Woon 김지운 Kim Ji Woon

rubie

January 28, 2013
'Stoker' hot, 'Last Stand' not so much
By Lee Kyung-min, Park Eun-jee Korea JoongAng Daily
‘Now that their movies are made through Hollywood studios, the Korean directors are going to reach a wider Western audience.’
28220102.jpgRight; “The Last Stand”, the first English-language film by Kim Ji-woon received mixed reactions while Park Chan-wook’s “Stoker” (left) garnered a series of positive reviews after its premiere at this year’s Sundance International Film Festival last week. Provided by 20th Century Fox Korea, CJ E&M
LOS ANGELES and PARK CITY, Utah - The champagne in Seoul was on ice as directors Park Chan-wook and Kim Ji-woon made their Hollywood debuts and the domestic film industry looks to expand the market reach and influence of Korean movies in 2013.
Park’s “Stoker” has been a critical success, but the bubbly isn’t flowing yet. Kim’s “The Last Stand” has received a lukewarm reception, despite featuring Arnold Schwarzenegger in a starring role. 
Still, the very fact that Korean directors are working in the film capital of the world is a big plus. 
“So far, the two directors’ reputations have been largely limited to those in the film industry or a specific group of moviegoers,” says Lee Nam, an assistant professor of film studies at Chapman University in Orange County, California. “Now that their movies are made through Hollywood studios, the Korean directors are going to reach a wider Western audience.”
While Park and Kim are at the forefront of Korean cinema, their work stands in stark contrast in terms of genre and tone. 
Fox Searchlight, a subsidiary of 20th Century Fox, is in charge of producing and distributing Park’s psychological thriller “Stoker” in the United States, while Kim’s action flick “The Last Stand” is produced by Di Bonaventura Pictures and distributed by Lionsgate.
“The Last Stand” has been deemed fun and popcorn-friendly, whereas “Stoker” is widely characterized as an art-house film with a style only Park could pull off.
Park’s English-language feature debut captivated media and critical attention after its screening at the 2013 Sundance International Film Festival that ended last Friday.
Starring Nicole Kidman, Mia Wasikowska and Matthew Goode, “Stoker” delves into the enigmatic relationships among a teenage girl and her mother, and an uncle who moved into their house. 
“Stoker” scores an average rating of 8.7 out of 10 from eight critics on the Rotten Tomatoes Web site and 95 percent of the site’s users say they would like to watch the mystery film.
Park and the three leading cast members were surrounded by a throng of reporters and fans after the screening. A similar scene occurred at a Korean Film Council event. 
A series of positive reviews followed. Variety’s Guy Lodge praised “Stoker” as “a splendidly demented gumbo of Hitchcock thriller, American Gothic fairy tale and a contemporary kink all Park’s own.” 
The Hollywood Reporter said the film is “one of the most artful chillers in ages.”
However, even the first leading role in nearly a decade for Schwarzenegger, the former California governor, has not been enough to generate much excitement about “The Last Stand.” 
It has a 60 percent rating on Rotten Tomatoes based on 115 reviews, with a consensus that “there’s nothing particularly distinguished about it.”
“Not the most iconic choice for Schwarzenegger to announce that he’s back, but not one that’s completely prefab, either,” said Tom Russo of the Boston Globe.
Others were more critical. “Kim keeps things moving briskly and the members of the strong supporting cast don’t seem to mind that they’re playing flimsy types,” said Christy Lemire of the Associated Press. “Everyone’s just here for a mindless good time.” 
The Hollywood Reporter’s Todd McCarthy said the film “lacks any kind of real distinction.”
The Lionsgate movie earned just $7.2 million over the three-day holiday weekend and ranked 10th on the day of its release, according to Box Office Mojo.
Observers say “The Last Stand” has been overshadowed by Andres Muschietti’s “Mama” and Kathryn Bigelow’s “Zero Dark Thirty.”
Kim’s film is scheduled for release in Korea on Feb. 21. “Stoker” will be released Feb. 28 in Korea and March 1 in the United States. 

• Replies 702
  • Created
  • Last Reply

February 1, 2013
'Governator' is back but who cares?
By Kim Tong-hyung The Korea Times
Having emerged as the darling of film critics, Korea’s leading film talents are now out to prove they can impress both with art house fare and in the mass market. A bumpy start suggests that the challenge could prove to be more difficult than thought.
02-02-14-01(0).jpg
Leading off in 2013 was Kim Jee-woon, a maestro of violence who has a cult following among Asian film fans, who made his American debut with “The Last Stand.” The modern-day western that borrowed heavily from classics like “High Noon” and “Rio Bravo” was keenly anticipated as it featured 65-year-old Arnold Schwarzenegger in his first starring role since 2003.
Too bad U.S. moviegoers aren’t exactly tripping over themselves to witness the return of the “Governator.” While it would be too harsh to label “The Last Stand” as a downright box-office disaster, Kim was probably expecting a performance better than what could generously be described as mediocre.
Since opening on Jan. 18, “The Last Stand” had just a hair above $11 million in revenue through Jan. 29, an alarmingly slow pace for its studio Lionsgate when industry sources believe the cost of the film may have tipped over $45 million.
Debuting in 10th in the U.S. box office rankings after its first week of release, the movie has been sinking. This means that Kim will once again be counting on his faithful Asian fans to help him reach the break-even point when the film will be released in Korean theaters on Feb. 21.
American critics seem to tolerate the movie but not admire it.
Richard Roeper of the Chicago Sun Times was among the more positive reviewers, saying that Kim delivers a “half-dozen quality kills that will leave audiences squirming and then laughing at the sheer audacity of it all.” That could easily qualify as a description of Kim’s biggest hits like “The Good, the Bad, the Weird” or “I Saw the Devil.”
On the other hand, Wesley Morris, from sports and pop culture site Grantland, described “The Last Stand” as “just another lousy action movie” and then delivered this dagger: “Kim operates in the same family as both John Woo and Quentin Tarantino, but he lacks Woo’s soulfulness and Tarantino’s ingenuity.”
Kim will not be the last Korean director that attempts to earn Hollywood’s respect. Park Chan-wook, he of “Old Boy” fame, was well received by the audience at the recent Sundance Film Festival with his new thriller, “Stoker,” which will be opening in U.S. theaters later this month. Bong Joon-ho, director of “Memories of Murder” and “The Host,” is awaiting the release of his sci-fi movie “Snowpiercer.”

February 8, 2013
GBW Actors Cheering Dir. KJW's 'Last Stand' in Korea
Source: Nate
1360311377899.jpgIt's reported that the 3 actors in Dir. Kim Jee Woon's Kimchi Western "The Good, The Bad, The Weird" -- Song Kang Ho, Lee Byung Hun and Jung Woo Sung had sent their cheering video messages to Dir. KJW in anticipation of his debut Hollywood feature being released in Korea in February.
Hope we'll get to see the related clip sometime later. ^^

February 12, 2013
GBW Actors Reunite for Video-Message to Dir. Kim Jee Woon
Source: Nate
766512_0-550724_49601.jpg

Sendspace
February 12, 2013
Arnold Schwarzenegger to Visit Korea
His First Visit to Korea as Actor
by Lee Eun-sum KOBIZ
Action hero Arnold Schwarzenegger has decided to visit Korea for the release of The Last Stand, director Kim Jee-woon's Hollywood debut. Schwarzenegger's visit to Korea this time is the second since his first as governor of California in 2010. So this will be his first visit as an actor. Schwarzenegger will fly into Korea on February 19th and spend two days in the country to promote his latest film such as participating in a press conference.
“Kim is a really talented director,” Schwarzenegger said about the director. “The first Kim film which I saw was The Good, the Bad and the Weird. I was very impressed by the scale and action in the film. In particular, Kim is excellent at dealing with good and evil, a universal theme.” It was known that the veteran action star really wanted to visit Korea, director Kim's country, so the press junket in Korea was decided upon. 
The Last Stand will premiere February 21st in Korea.

February 13, 2013
Director Kim Ji-Woon, “Hollywood is not that good for a director”  Source: Innolife Korea
1360743943123.jpg
Kim Ji-Woon explained about a movie making system of Hollywood, which is different from that of Korea.
Director Kim Ji-Woon attended the press conference of movie ‘Last Stand’ held at Seoul Wangshipri CGV on February 13 and explained the difference of the studio between Korea and Hollywood, starting from the role of director and assistant director. He said, “In Hollywood, there are situations that director may not be able to take a scene even if he must. Even assistant director is not on director’s side.
In Korea, assistant is like a family, caring and thinking over a problem with director as if it’s he’s movie as well. Also, in Korea, if director thinks serious, everyone’s serious. But in Hollywood, it’s just work. That’s just director’s work so I just do my job and that’s all.” Director Kim entered Hollywood with ‘Last Stand’ and he said frankly, “I don’t think Hollywood is a good place for a director because of relationship with assistant directors and cultural, emotional differences.”
201302131655220510_1.jpg

February 14, 2013
Korean director frustrated with Hollywood system
‘The Last Stand’ director Kim Jee-woon says Hollywood may not be the place for Korean filmmakers
By Claire Lee The Korea Herald

It seems that his first foray into Hollywood wasn’t so easy for famed director Kim Jee-woon.
“Hollywood may not be so great for (Korean) filmmakers,” said the director, after the press premiere of his Hollywood debut “The Last Stand” in Seoul on Wednesday.
Kim, best known for his 2003 horror “A Tale of Two Sisters” and 2010 thriller “I Saw the Devil,” is back with a $30-million English-language film featuring Arnold Schwarzenegger in the lead. 
20130214001078_0.jpg
Director Kim Jee-woon speaks during a press conference promoting his Hollywood debut “The Last Stand” in Seoul, Wednesday. (&Credit)
Directing the action flick in the U.S. was “lonely” and “extremely challenging,” mostly because he had a hard time getting used to the Hollywood system of filmmaking, he said. 
Unlike the Korean film industry, where directors make most of the decisions for their films, working in Hollywood required Kim to persuade everyone at the shoot, including the producer and the actors, whenever he wanted to make changes to the initial plans that were finalized during the pre-production phase.
“I tend to get a lot of good ideas while shooting the scenes on the set,” Kim said. “But it was very difficult to apply any of these ideas to the movie, or try something new spontaneously, because you are required to get the crew’s approval if you want to make changes to the already finalized shooting schedule. 
“Every single detail is pre-arranged. Even when you feel like you are really going to get the scene you want after one or two more tries, you’d have to stop when your given time is over,” he continued. “Everyone just stops immediately when it’s lunch time.” 
Working with his assistant directors was also a whole new experience in Hollywood. 
“In Korea, their job is to understand the director’s vision for the movie and do everything it takes to make it a reality,” he said. “In Hollywood, their job is to manage the shooting schedule and logistics of the production, and make sure everything gets done on time.”
The upcoming movie is about an American sheriff (played by Schwarzenegger) working in a small, sleepy border town who chases a notorious kingpin who escaped from an FBI prisoner convoy. Schwarzenegger, who turns 66 in July, is playing his first leading film role in nearly a decade. 
“Schwarzenegger is an icon,” Kim said. “He is the American action hero. But I wanted the sheriff to be an old, father-like figure who has returned to his small hometown, after many years of working hard, appreciating a peaceful, slower life. I wanted to create a realistic portrait of an aging man who fights his last battle, instead of a perfect hero. This movie was possible because Schwarzenegger was happy with this idea during the first meeting we had, at his glamorous house.”
A CJ Entertainment release, “The Last Stand” opens in local theaters on Feb. 21. 

February 15, 2013
Lee Byung Hun and Shin Min A Support Director Kim Jee Woon in VIP Premiere of “The Last Stand”
By Korea Star Daily | KpopFighting.com 
A special VIP Premiere took place two days ago in the evening at 8pm at the CGV Theatre in Seoul for director Kim Jee Woon’s Hollywood blockbuster film “The Last Stand”. Local Korean artists, including the likes of Lee Byung Hun, Shin Min A, Gu Hye Sun were present at the event to support director Kim in this important moment.
“The Last Stand” will come into theatres in Korea on the 21st February. Starring the Governor of California and film legend Arnold Schwarzenegger, it is the collaboration action packed, fighting film between the American Hollywood and the Korean film industry. It also marks the first time Arnold Schwarzenegger has starred in a lead role since the last Terminator movie. The film follows the story of a small town sheriff (played by Arnold Schwarzenegger) who, with the help of his inexperienced helpers, must stop a dangerous local drug lord from escaping to Mexico across the border.
Published on 14 Feb 2013 by smaintfans3

February 17, 2013
Director Kim Ji Woon Says He Would Like to Work with Lee Byung Hun Again
CJ E&M enewsWorld An So Hyoun . Translation Credit: Erika Kim   
Kim Ji Woon can′t seem to get enough of Lee Byung Hun, as he sent another love call to the actor.
The director recently talked at the press preview and roundtable for his film The Last Stand held on February 13.

201004211257201001_1.jpg
Nate

There, he was asked which Korean actor he would like to work with in Hollywood.
He answered, "If they were good at English, then [i would take] Song Kang Ho and Kim Yun Suk. Ha Jung Woo can speak some English, and I would also like to work with Ryu Seung bum, who seems to have improved on his English through The Berlin File."
He then said about Lee Byung Hun, "Lee Byung Hun is a Korean star that′s found his place in Hollywood even without me. I heard that his acting was so great on the set of G.I. Joe 2 that staff gathered round to watch him whenever it was his turn."
Kim Ji Woon previously worked with Lee Byung Hun through his films A Bittersweet Life, The Good, The Bad, The Weird and I Saw the Devil, and the two are known to share close ties.
"I believe it would be fantastic to work in America with those actors I′ve worked with before in Korea. I would want nothing more," he added.
The Last Stand is about the battle between a drug dealer speeding toward the Mexican border in a super car and the sheriff of a small village on the border. It stars Arnold Schwarzenegger and Forest Whitaker, and premieres on February 21.
Photo credit: Hea Jung Min

February 21, 2013
Arnie Pays Homage to Kim Ji-woon's Unique Directorial Style
The ChosunIlbo l  Nate
78f108c69139dc2c1c1fe2bafeb956e6.jpg

Hollywood is always looking for talented directors like Kim Ji-woon who have a new style and vision, Arnold Schwarzenegger said at a press conference held at a hotel in Yeouido, Seoul on Wednesday. Schwarzenegger stars in Kim's Hollywood debut "The Last Stand," which gets its theatrical release here on Thursday. 
The actor said he was impressed by Kim's outstanding directing and the visual effects when he watched his previous movie, "The Good, the Bad and the Weird," and wanted to work with him. 
Kim said he had grown up watching the former bodybuilder's action flicks and that it was a dream come true to have him on the cast. "I dreamed of becoming a director while watching Arnold play heroic roles in movies like 'Conan the Barbarian,' 'The Terminator,' and 'True Lies,' and I realized my dream of getting to finally make a movie with him," he said. 
Schwarzenegger arrived at Incheon International Airport on Tuesday afternoon and headed directly to the set of a new short film Kim is working on in Hwaseong, Gyeonggi Province -- hinting at their close relationship. 
The former governor of California, who has only appeared in cameo roles in action movies in the last decade, still draws on his huge physical strength in the film. The plot revolves around a border town sheriff who must stop a drug cartel leader from fleeing the country in a supercar that can outpace a helicopter.

February 20, 2013
Arnold Schwarzenegger “Korea, unique and wonderful country”  Innolife Korea
5101_1.jpg

On 20th Schwarzenegge attended the press conference of the film ‘Last Stand’ held in Seoul Yeuido Conrad Hotel, said “Korea itself is a very unique and wonderful country” and “It has very active and cool movie industry”
He expressed wonder, saying “I visited a director Kim Ji-Woon’s short film shooting set yesterday, and it was great like 3 cameras moving” and “It is technically advanced and director think forward how they can give audience enjoyment” Schwarzenegge arrived Korea on 19th, and visited film site of ‘Hide & Seek’ in Hwaseoung, Gyeonggido.
In succession encouraged to Korea’s directors and actors who tries to enter Hollywood, saying “The most important thing is clear vision and aiming.” And “There is no one who success from the beginning. You need to risk failure. If you stand again stepping failures, you will success some days” He added, “First you should try to success in Korea, and keep dreaming to enter bigger stage like Hollywood.”

February 21, 2013
Arnold Schwarzenegger is ... you knowKim Jee-woon picks the Governator’s brain in ‘Last Stand’
By Park Eun-jee Korea JoongAng Daily

21201556.jpg
Arnold Schwarzenegger, making his first visit to Korea as an actor, said filmmaker Kim Jee-woon’s directing style reminded him of a psychologist. [NEWSIS]
Arnold Schwarzenegger said he’d be back. Ten years after his last starring role, the former governor of California is fulfilling the iconic statement with “The Last Stand”, an action thriller directed by Korean Kim Jee-woon, who is making his Hollywood debut. The action hero touched down in the director’s homeland on Wednesday to promote the film. He discussed his return to the acting career he put on hold to assume the governorship of California, his relationship with Kim and how his experience as governor affected his performance on the film, which opened yesterday nationwide.
Q. How do you feel about coming back to Korea?
A. It’s wonderful to be here. Whenever I came here, I said, ‘I’ll be back.’ And I keep the promise now. I came here as a bodybuilder and later as governor of California. Now, it’s wonderful to be back again as an actor, especially an actor that was directed by extraordinary South Korean director Kim Jee-woon.
What made you choose “The Last Stand” as your comeback movie?
21201616.jpg
“The Last Stand” is Kim Jee-woon’s first English film and Schwarzenegger’s first after a 10-year hiatus from being a leading man. Provided by 20th Century Fox
You always, as an actor, try to choose a project that could be popular not only in America but all over the world and a story that could be understood by everybody. So, I think that “The Last Stand” has that. It has a great story of a man who was once an action hero then has gotten lost along the way, but has come back. The idea of a vulnerable character was very appealing to me. But what really made me decide to do the movie is the fact that Kim Jee-woon directed the film. I admired his movies a lot, especially the last movie, “The Good, The Bad, The Weird.” It was full of extraordinary directing and great visuals. We met at my house several times to talk about the character and what the story would be like. I came to have extraordinary respect for his work and vision. More importantly, we had mutual respect. 
Age is mentioned in the movie. Did you feel any physical challenges while shooting the film? If not, how do you constantly stay in shape?
I work out every day. I work out on cardiovascular training and weight training. Working out is a part of life.
Many other Korean actors and directors are making their Hollywood debut. How do you feel about the trend?
Millions and millions of people from around the world want to go to Hollywood to become a movie star, director or financier. But there are few of them who are lucky enough to make it. Director Kim Jee-woon was one of them and I was very fortunate to make it there. But there are millions of others who couldn’t. The only thing I recommend is you have to have a very clear vision. And you have to be willing to fail over and over until you make it. 
Hollywood always looks for new talents, new visions and new styles of directing. And I think Kim Jee-woon is definitely one of them who has been discovered.
What was it like working with a director who was outside of the Hollywood system? Were there any challenges working with a non-English speaking moviemaker?
I love the style of the director. He will do the master shot when everyone has done things, then he is moving closer. After that, he will move closer into a main actor and then move even closer into the main actor’s face with the camera. And then, he starts directing and saying things like, “I need more sadness in your eyes.” He is moving closer and closer to get into your brain. He is almost like a psychologist to pull out such emotions.
When it comes to communicating, I had no problem whatsoever. We had a terrific translator. But more importantly, most of the time, I didn’t need any translation because Kim has a very passionate way of explaining things, actually acting out the scene. Many times, he tried to get himself into trouble when he tried to do the stunt for you. 
How did your experience as a governor affect your acting?
The governor’s office is the greatest class room that you can find because it’s educational time. So, the experience might contribute to making you a better performer. But, in the end, it is always a director who is responsible for that.

February 22, 2013
Shin Min Ah and Kang Dong Won Star in Short Film “Hide and Seek”
Source: KDramaStars
Actors Shin Min Ah and Kang Dong Won will pair up to act in a new short film
The short film that is directed by Hollywood director Kim Ji Woon, is an action thrilled about a man named X (Kang Dong Won) who carries a mysterious object, and people will hunt him for that. Shin Min Ah will play X's girfriend named Mi Ah.
Rookie actress Esom is also cast and will play the role of Fingers, the woman who is charge of X's safety.
This short film is created to promote "ScreenX," a new theater created by CGV, that developed a new technology consisting of screens on the sides, as well as the center of the theater. The actors started shooting on February 4th and the shooting will take about a month to finish.The 10-minute film will not released commercially.
Kang Dong Won will also appear in the movie “Band of Thieves” starring himself and Ha Jung Woo. The drama is set on the 19th century and is about a band of thieves who rob wealthy, corrupt officials and help the poor.

February 20, 2013
Arnold Schwarzenegger returns as old sheriff in 'Last Stand'
By Kim Eun-jung YonhapNews
SEOUL, Feb. 20 (Yonhap) - After completing two terms as California's governor, Arnold Schwarzenegger has stepped back into the limelight with his comeback movie "The Last Stand" as a grumpy small town sheriff who chases a fugitive drug baron.
   Nearly a decade after being absent from the silver screen in a prominent role, the worldwide action film icon said he chose the action drama directed by South Korean filmmaker Kim Jee-woon, his first Hollywood movie, because of its universal appeal.
   "I tried to choose a project that could be popular not only in America but also all over the world. This is a kind of universal story," Schwarzenegger said at a press conference in Seoul, which was held to promote the movie set to hit local theaters on Thursday. "It's wonderful to be back again as an actor."
The US$45-million-budget picture, which was released worldwide last month, was acclaimed by critics but has not been commercially successful in the U.S. box office. But the old sheriff comeback story in which Schwarzenegger plays the leading role Ray Owens, a former Los Angeles police officer who was demoted to the sheriff position after a drug bust goes wrong, has received a friendly reception from the entertainment media in South Korea.
   Schwarzenegger as a washed-up sheriff appears more fragile and vulnerable in the movie filled with tumbling action and crazy car scenes, and even makes fun of his old age. When one guy asks, "How are you?" after seeing the sheriff taking a jarring tumble, Owens replies, "Old."
   However, the 65-year-old says he doesn't feel old at all.
   "I work out every day. Working out is part of my life. I don't even have to think about it," Schwarzenegger, a towering figure in a crisp gray suit, said. "Because I'm in shape and work out every day, I don't feel that."
   Schwarzenegger said he came to know about the cult favorite director through his 2008 Western-style movie "The Good, the Bad, the Weird," and had exchanged thoughts and character ideas for the new movie months before they started shooting.
   He said Kim is a "hands-on director" who works day and night, and knows how to communicate with actors to bring out the best in them.
   "He comes closer and closer. When you think this is the last shot, the camera moves even closer, right into your eye. And he says, 'I need a little bit of sadness in your eyes. Don't fake. Think in the moment,'" Schwarzenegger said, describing Kim as some sort of psychiatrist. "I've never performed like this before."
   Schwarzenegger, who last year released a tell-all book about his political career, said his public office job gave him a depth of experience in life and helped his performance in the new film.
   "The governor's office is the greatest classroom because it was educational," he said. "All contributed to become a better performer."
   Schwarzenegger, a living embodiment of the American dream, recommended Hollywood aspirants to persevere until they achieve their ultimate goals.
   "The only thing I recommend is the vision," Schwarzenegger said. "You have to be relentless. You have to be willing to fail over and over until you make it."
   He said South Korea is a dynamic country with talented directors who experiment with advanced film technology and fresh ideas, saying he hopes to shoot another movie in the nation if there's a chance.
   "I'm a big fan of South Korea and I want to do anything I can do," he said. "South Korea is potentially a major player in the world stage, economically, and every other way."
   Schwarzenegger said he has repeated the famous line "I'll be back" whenever he visited the nation as a body builder, a governor and a book author in the past, and kept his promise.
   When asked to repeat it, a playful Schwarzenegger did so with his thumbs up, saying, "You guys are easily pleased."

February 21, 2013
Yonhap Feature 
Korean directors go global with latest films
By Jason Bechervaise Contributing writer YonhapNews
SEOUL, Feb. 21 (Yonhap) -- For Bong Joon-ho, a critically acclaimed South Korean film director who has built a reputation overseas, a global project would seem like the next logical step. Though his next piece will screen internationally this summer, that wasn't originally the goal.
   What would become "Snowpiercer" began back in 2005 when Bong read the French comic "Le Transperceneige," a chronicle of the world's last remaining inhabitants after a man-made ice age forces them to traverse the globe on a train.
   "I was so fascinated by the graphic novel, and I wanted to make a very exciting train and sci-fi movie. The story focused on the human condition and social system on the train. That made me crazy, that's why I made this movie," he said in a recent interview.
   "When the ice age comes, it doesn't just come to Korea, it's a worldwide occurrence, so I thought having all the passengers be Korean wouldn't make sense," he said. "Therefore, I tried to get an international cast. As a result, it became an international film, but that's not how I intended it to be."
AEN20130219002700315_01_i.jpg
Director Bong Joon-ho. His film "Snowpiercer" will debut internationally in the summer. (Courtesy of Jason Bechervaise)
AEN20130219002700315_02_i.jpg
Poster of Bong Joon-ho's new film "Snowpiercer" (Courtesy of CJ E&M Pictures)
Though not necessarily intentional, as Korean films become an increasingly prevalent feature at renowned film festivals across the globe, many of the country's top directors like Bong are moving on beyond their comfortable home borders.
   Kim Jee-woon, who also says his dream "wasn't going to Hollywood," made his Hollywood debut last month with the U.S. release of action-packed "The Last Stand" starring Arnold Schwarzenegger. Park Chan-wook's "Stoker" will be screened in the U.S. and U.K. on March 1.
   Bong cultivated an international audience through his films such as "Memories of Murder" (2003) and "The Host" (2006). "This time the scale is a lot bigger, and it will get a wide release in the U.S, so the character of the movie is slightly different, but I try to keep my own movie style. I think that's the most important thing," he said.
   Maintaining one's style would have been one of a number of challenges for these directors as they made their leap to the global stage.
   For Kim, who established a strong reputation in Korea and overseas for tackling a number of different genres -- from the horror "A Tale of Two Sisters" (2003) to the western "The Good, The Bad, The Weird" (2008) -- his concern was things getting lost in the translation.
   "Making movies is always something I have done, so it didn't feel like anything special, but it made me think hard how Asians, Americans and Europeans would understand the humor," he said. "So in the early stages, after shooting a scene, as a test, I would show it to the whole team, and the reaction wasn't too bad. This boosted my confidence."
   Invariably there are differences when working in Hollywood.
   "In Korea, when it comes to working on a movie, a director is like a king. But in Hollywood, the producer and the studio all have an equal say, so when the director has an idea, the director has to persuade the producer and studio to make them agree," Kim said.
   Bong's "Snowpiercer" isn't a Hollywood production, having been funded by a Korean studio. But 90 percent of the crew were either English or American, and everything proceeded according to the American way, union regulations among them. "At first it was quite difficult to get used to, but we got used to it," said Bong.
   Administrative things aside, these directors are all too aware of the risks involved in these global projects. Having cast Schwarzenegger, Kim admits to the pressure of high expectations by the audience and the need to make something new, and while it's ultimately up to the audience to decide, he feels as a team, they were able to handle these demands.
AEN20130219002700315_03_i.jpg
South Korean director Kim Jee-woon holds a press conference in Los Angeles on Jan. 14, 2013 ahead of the U.S. release of his Hollywood movie "The Last Stand." (Yonhap file photo)

"If they (Korean directors) can expand their scope and have their talent seen by a wider audience, it would be a good thing," he said. "But I think Korean directors should take it slow and look into the details carefully before they go to Hollywood."
   Bong agrees. "Just being obsessed with going into Hollywood could destroy a career, so I think directors have to be careful."
   The global outreach of Korean directors initially may be individual projects, but in the end, it could raise the profile of Korea's cinema industry as a whole, as illustrated by Guillermo Del Toro and Ang Lee, according to Bong.
   After his movie "Hellboy" became a hit, Del Toro made a Spanish language film, "Pan's Labyrinth." Although the film is in Spanish, because it was made by Del Toro, people were interested in it, Bong said. "Ang Lee, too. Because he succeeded in Hollywood, whenever he makes a Chinese language film like 'Lust Caution,' he can reach a global audience, because it was made by Ang Lee.
   "Myself and Park Chan-wook for example, we can potentially deliver the same role -- working on an English language movie, then coming back to Korea and making Korean films. If (the movie) is good, people may like watching Korean films, too, so the profile of Korean films could be raised," he said.
AEN20130219002700315_04_i.jpg
Director Park Chan-wook ® with the cast of his movie "Stoker" -- (from L) Mia Wasikowska, Nicole Kidman and Matthew Goode -- at the Sundance Film Festival on Jan. 20, 2013.. (Provided by 20th Century Fox Korea)
And it's not just the directors who can benefit from the exposure, but the crew as well.
   "This time when I went to Hollywood, I didn't go by myself," Kim said. "I went with the camera director, music director and editing director. Looking at the results produced by them, Hollywood will see the high quality of Korean films and the crews are as good as any Hollywood crews," he said.
   Already, there are signs. "With Park Chan-wook's 'Stoker,' for example, the film was well shot, so Hollywood has expressed an interest in cinematographer Chung Chung-hoon," said Bong. "As a result, this also raises the profile of Korean crews as well."
   jase@koreanfilm.org.ukTwitter: @koreanjase

February 22, 2013
Arnold Schwarzenegger Has a Press Conference
Visits Kim Jee-woon’s Shoot for New Film as Token of Friendship by Lee Eun-sun KOBIZ
oDYQuolOPNLTSJoxJfCs.jpgArnold SCHWARZENEGGER, starring in KIM Jee-woon’s Hollywood debut The Last Stand, visited Korea and attended the press conference on February 20th. At the conference for his first film after 10 years awayas Governor of California, he said, “I’ll be back! I’m very happy to come back to Korea with a film directed by the great Korean director KIM Jee-woon.” To a question asking why he decided to work with a Korea director, he answered, “I was looking for a director with new talent, style and vision and KIM was such a person.” He then added, “I’m really happy to come back here and I feel grateful to KIM. I hope he will remember that he has a friend to go through challenges and ordeals along with in the future. I’ll be back!” KIM answered him by saying, “I could safely finish making my first film in Hollywood by virtue of Arnold’s constant support.” The day before the press conference, he dropped by Hwaseong, Gyeonggi province, where KIM is currently shooting the short film Hide & Seek without advance notice. SCHWARZENNEGER created news earlier when he sent 100 meal boxes for the staff. The Last Stand was released in Korea on February 21st. 

Archived