First Time For M.a.c.

LoVeCartier

Hi all,

I'm planning to go to M.A.C. to buy makeups (eye liner Fluidline, eye shadows, concealers, Studio Fix Powder Plus foundation, etc.) and brushes for the very first time. I can't wait to invest on them because heard of so many good ratings about them.

Before I go buy them, I wanna ask you ladies. If I purchase around $350-400 of goods. Do I get any freebies? Because I don't wanna get cheated on. When I bought Clinique, Dior, Estee Lauder, Lancome in Macy's I got freebies, so I wonder if that applies to M.A.C., too. Should I go to Macy's or Bloomingdale's for M.A.C. because I wanna go to the one that has good service.

By the way, I'm going to the one in Manhattan, New York.

Thanks for y'all help, can't wait to hear y'all back.

::Edit::

Thank you all so much for the fast reply! =) can't thank you enough about the foundation sample, cuz I always have a hard time choosing the right tone. Since many said their foundation is not good. What goes well with M.A.C. concealer? if I don't use their foundation. I don't like to put on face makeup except concealer because I want to conceal acnes when I go out. I'm not sure if I need foundation to cover the concealer because everytime I apply concealer, I can see it so I thought you need foundation to cover concealer. dont wanna walk around with a patch of concealer on da face, lol that will be silly

Guest centric

I'm not sure about freebies but before you spend over half a thousand dollars on just one specific brand of makeup, you should ask them for samples first (especially foundations and such). Be very well researched about your skin! Or you might break out in a bad rash. Look up ingredient's lists and make sure you aren't allergic to anything.

Guest lolimois

i acutually heard MAC foundations weren't that great, just that their eyeliners and eyeshadows are really great. I would get some samples like the person above me said :)

Guest YeonCouture

mm, well it all depends on where you live.

people might be rude

people might not

just don't but the foundations, they're.... horrible.

before buying them you should get to try them on first, like have a makeover done then let the makeup stay on you for like a whole day to see if you react to it, especially when it comes to foundations..some of MAC's foundations tend to be thick which can clog pores..they're kind of thick coz they provide you with heavy coverage (like mac studio fix)..so there, but if you plan on buying like their brushes or eyeshadows, that would be okay even if you won't test them..oh and the eyeliners, try them first coz you might have sensitive eyes and who knows right?

definitely ask for samples if you plan on buying their foundation, i've heard of soo many negative reviews on their foundation.

maybe it'll be different for you, but it's not worth it to risk $30 on foundatoin that's going to make you break out.

Guest xCookies

Just have to say, your signature is breaking the rules of soompi.

Signatures:

- Maximum of 4 lines of text.

- Maximum of 2 banners/images that can be on the same line as long as they fit the size requirements

(you cannot substitute an image for a line, vice versa)

Back to the topic, like other just sample some of the make up first to see if you have any reaction.

I'm not sure about the freebies, but I guess you could ask. ^^. Also for skin tone, ask one of the assistant,

they should help tell you what skin tone you are, and MAC have their own system for skin tone and such...

Guest alicimoo

Macy's don't carry MAC. It's best you to go the MAC store itself, they have more varieties.

Macy's carry MAC.

I know 2 Macy's in Boston that carry MAC.

-------------

I don't know about the service in Bloomingdale's, but the people in the MAC at my Macy's are really helpful and nice.

Personally I think MAC foundations are overrated. I used to use Studiofix but then moved on to mineral makeup which is less cakey and natural for skin. MAC makes nice quality brushes (I've had my eye liner brush for over 4 years and the bristles are still firm and intact) so that's a good investment.

Guest sushiwhore

Macy's don't carry MAC. It's best you to go the MAC store itself, they have more varieties.

macys does they just dont carry alot of selection they dont sell the long line of pigments etc

SA's vary from store to store, but MAC has a fantastic return policy (NOT Back2MAC)... so pick whichever is closer for you. Nordstrom carries MAC too, y'know.

The thing was, before MAC was bought up by Estee Lauder, it used to be a "professionals only" line and only licensed cosmetologists and makeup artists (etc) would be able to purchase their products. They were known for having high-grade pigmentation and coloration in ALL their products, but were primarily used for the "industry" or for photoshoots and cameras. Hence the heavy coverage and high pigmentation of MAC products (so they would show up on the actors/models). It wasn't originally really meant for everyday use. Of course, then Estee Lauder bought the line and mainstreamed everything and now *everyone* owns MAC products.

So I buy things that have colors (pigments, eyeshadows, lipsticks, etc), but for foundation and concealer and stuff that I really lay on my skin... I go with mineral makeup. Brushes though... are excellent. ^.^

brushes and colours are excellent. I like their eyeliners (powerpoints) too. I have all 4 of MAC heatherette liners. but it's expensive. and very pigmented, so don't go for them if you do not like/do not know how to apply pigmented liners.

but if you are not into colours, just invest those everyday use colours with MAC like neutral brown, highlight colour. the rest, you can purchase mineral colours since it is cheaper. I do not purchase blushers from them too, though their colours are good. I get them from everydayminerals since they are pigmented as well.

I like none of their powders except MAC lightful. superb finely milled powder which is amazing when I apply with 182. but I am not sure if this is available in your country, cuz it's an Asian exclusive. Used to be only exclusive in japan, but I think now it's available in selected asian countries.

The powder is not listed on the website. only some of their skincare series. their skincare is only s0-s0 though. I have the lightful ultra moisture cream.

Guest dewdrop

I guess depends on the location then. The three Macys near where I live don't carry any MAC product.

yeah, MAC brushes are the best, number 1. :D

Guest muffingrl

Im pretty sure Bloomingdales would provide better services than Macy's, since it is a more high-end department store. Bloomingdales also has a more complete collection of the MAC products than Macy's does. And plus, if youre paying $300-$400 for makeup, I doubt anyone would be rude to you. I suggest you consult a MAC makeup artist to do a makeover and recommend products that match and compliment your skin tone. If you've never tried MAC makeup before, you should lean more towards the eye products, because thats more universal and everyone knows MAC eyeshadow is high quality. Good luck!

I'm not sure about freebies but before you spend over half a thousand dollars on just one specific brand of makeup, you should ask them for samples first (especially foundations and such). Be very well researched about your skin! Or you might break out in a bad rash. Look up ingredient's lists and make sure you aren't allergic to anything.

thanks for the tip about the samples...dont wanna mess up the face =)

Archived