Jung Ji Hoon * 정지훈 * 鄭智薰 * (aka Rain/Bi / 비 / ピ) I [Upcoming Drama 2024] Red Swan

Nancyzak

He's smiling but deep down inside him he's tearing apart.... Just like how we feel... I'm trying hard not to be sad but after watching all the footage, reading all the articles, seeing the pictures, you can't stop your tears from rolling down.... I never thought I will feel like this over a celebrity... But Rain is not just a celebrity, he's a living legend.... The King of Asian Pop Music.... A multitalented person that brought so much honor and glory to his country.... He should've been exempted from the military service because of all the things he has done but because he's not an Olympic athlete who won a medal he can't be exempted..... Oh well, enough of my venting out and ranting.... I might say words that might be offensive ....

Hi kswoppa, ye, he was smiling but we could see the sadness in his eyes................ About what you said for the exemption of Olympic athlete, Olympic medalists and gold medalists from the Asian Games have been exempted from the national service before however, the revised rule was reversed in 2007 due to negative public sentiment. :sweatingbullets:<_<

Hi willenette, this is day 2 and the real time without Rain, am I right? coz yesterday he was still with us through so many news of his farewell. Like all fans, I am counting the days. :D Until now, I am still emotionally drained but so happy that his enlistment had been in broadcast all over the world. :D

Actress Go So Young sends a supportive message to Rain

2011-10-12

*quoted image*

Rain got a warm send-off from the 1,200 fans who gathered outside of his military base to say goodbye, but before he arrived, he took part in a farewell party, where actress Go So Young wished her junior the best.

tvN ‘E news‘ showed live footage of Rain enlisting in the army, as well as clips from Rain’s last concert, ‘Last of the Best‘. During the concert’s afterparty, Go So Young expressed her support for Rain by saying, “I knew Rain before his debut. He is one of my favorite artists and it’s sad to see him go“.

Go So Young was asked, “Are you going to go visit him?”, to which she responded, “Would he want me to? I think he has a lot more friends who are younger and prettier.”

The actress bid Rain adieu with, “I hope that you will work hard during your given years in the army and I hope to see you again soon after two years. Fighting!”

Source & Photo: Naver//allkpop

Hi anjjo, I feel the same thing as you do, dear.............up to now..............maybe time could help me get used to it. So sad to see him go. Well......thanks for sharing this article about KSY......... Awwww... that's so sweet of her. She's the wife of JDG............I didn't know that she's also close to RAIN. Just realized now that so many stars/his colleague love RAIN.................Love the support everyone is giving Rain. I'm sure he wants KSY & all of his friends to visit him." I think he has a lot more friends who are younger and prettier.” - Gosh, she looks way too pretty for her age although she already has a child. :)

Guest FamousGirl2012_2013

I am going to miss Rain so much and I am going to miss not seeing Rain make a new song or be in a new concert or be in a new TV show or Movie.

I hope Rain does he military service and comes back safe and I hope and pray he don't get hurt in the military.

Two years in the military is a long time to not see Rain's face I hope it goes by fast so he can come back home.

I am going to miss Rain so much and I am going to miss not seeing Rain make a new song or be in a new concert or be in a new TV show or Movie.

I hope Rain does he military service and comes back safe and I hope and pray he don't get hurt in the military.

Two years in the military is a long time to not see Rain's face I hope it goes by fast so he can come back home.

Hi FamousGirl, welcome to RAIN's thread! We all miss him so much! About making a new song , there's still a plan to release an album or single while he's currently serving. We'll wait & see for this soon............... He has an upcoming movie, which will be released on January next year, please support him by watching the film. :)

Rain enlists in Korean military

By JONATHAN M. HICAP

October 11, 2011, 2:02pm

Rain_enlistment.jpg

MANILA, Philippines – And he’s off to the military.

Asian pop star Rain enlisted in the Korean military Tuesday, leaving thousands of fans in despair and temporarily abandoning his showbiz career for his mandatory service.

The 29-year-old popular singer, whose real name is Jung Ji Hoon, reported this afternoon to the Uijeongbu 306 Reserve Troop Station in Geonggi Province in South Korea for his enlistment.

Rain will receive his basic military training at the camp after which he will be in active duty.

Rain met fans and the media briefly before entering the camp. He saluted and bowed and thanked the fans for coming.

About 1,000 fans from Japan, Korea, Hong Kong and China are at the site to bid Rain goodbye. Fans arrived at Uijeongbu early morning Tuesday armed with banners and streamers proclaiming their support and love for their idol, adding that they will be waiting for his comeback.

Last Sunday, Rain held his free concert dubbed as “Last for the Best” for fans in Samseong in Gangnam, Seoul. Thousands trooped to the concert to see Rain perform for the last time.

On his Twitter, Rain announced that the concert would be aired on Mnet TV station after his enlistment.

Rain also visited his mother’s grave on Monday to pay his respect.

In the last 10 years, Rain has become one of the most successful Korean artists.

Early this year, Rain won the 2011 TIME 100 Poll readers’ choice as the No. 1 most influential person in the world, edging out the likes of Beyonce (No. 6), US President Barack Obama (No. 46), and Lady Gaga (No. 12).

Rain also became successful in acting on TV and films. He starred in the Hollywood films “Speed Racer” and “Ninja Assassin.”

Credit : Manila Bulletin

http://mb.com.ph/articles/337369/rain-enlists-korean-military

[Oct-12-2011] Rain enlists in the military with tears in his eyes, being seen off by more than 1,000 fans.

41023374.2.jpg

Singer and actor Rain (his real name, 'Jung Ji Hoon') enlisted in the military as an active-duty soldier on the 11th.

Rain was called into the draft 306 in Kyungkido region's Euijungbu city, being seen off by more than 1,000 fans both at home and abroad at 1:30pm on the day.

Rain shall serve in the military as an active-duty soldier for 21 months after receiving the training of new recruits at a separately specified boot camp for 5 weeks after taking advanced courses in basic military education at the draft 306 for 3 days.

Just before being called into the drafts, Rain saluted after saying farewell to his fans waiting for him at a vacant lot, "I apologize for any inconvenience this (obtrusive) farewell may cause you. I'll be back after working hard."

When they chanted his name, he made a bow with some tears in his eyes as if he was overcome with emotion, "Thank you for coming today..I'll do my best to serve in the military well." Then some of his fans were moved to tears by seeing his tears.

Rain was accompanied by his close acquaintances such as his protege "MBLAQ," popular group's member "Baekga", actor "Jung Seok Won" and more to the front of the drafts.

"Baekga" known to be like a brother to Rain ordinarily was sobbing loudly on the spot, which attracted the attention.

The venue was crowded with a massive number of his overseas fans who came from China, Taiwan, Japan, Hong Kong, and many other places as far apart as Peru, including Korean fans, having shown up carrying signs and placards since early in the morning.

Also, the day he was called into the drafts, more than 200 reporters swarmed the front of the drafts, locally and abroad.

When the venue was getting crowded as the time had come for him to be called into the drafts, police got to the scene, installed the police line, and tried to maintain order, as well as troops from the drafts.

The scene where he was being called into the drafts was transmitted live by satellite all over the country via cable channel tvN.

Two days just before entering the army, Rain spent busy days, filming CFs, attending the Pusan International Film Festival to promote movie "Flight : Close to the Sun" starring him, and giving his last performance on the Youngdong Grand Boulevard as part of the Gangnam Hanryu Festival where there were around 20,000 people on the 9th.

Credit to http://news.nate.com/view/20111012n03012

English translation by rain bird.

*** Aish……….there were more fans than 500 who were there……….. :rolleyes:

[TD Photo] Rain joins the army in tears

1318307195_214820.jpg

Singer Rain (Jeong Ji-hoon) joined the army on the 11th.

Rain joined the army through the 306 training base on the 11th afternoon. He will be active on duty after 5 weeks of basic military training there.

About 500 fans from all over the world gathered on site to watch him leave. tvN also reported the scene live.

Meanwhile, Rain participated in the 'Kang Nam Hallyu Festival" on the 9th and completed his last performance before military service.

Source : news.nate.com/view/20... ( Korean )

Translation : Hancinema

October 12, 2011

Saluting fans, Rain enlists

11202130.jpg

Fans of Rain gather in front of the Uijeongbu 306 Reserve Battalion in Gyeonggi, where the star will start his military service. By Yang Gwang-sam

Korean superstar Rain (whose real name is Jung Ji-hoon) entered the military yesterday afternoon to start his mandatory two-year service.

Around 1,000 people, including fans, friends and the press, gathered in front of the Uijeongbu 306 Reserve Battalion in Gyeonggi, where the star will start his service.

12085526.jpg

Upon arriving at the site at around 11 a.m., the Hallyu (Korean Wave) star said to his fans, “Thank you for giving me so much love over the last 10 years.”

Looking a bit teary-eyed, he gave a firm salute to his fans before entering the training camp.

Rain will serve as an active-duty soldier in the Uijeongbu battalion and will undergo basic training there for five weeks. After the training period, the star will be informed of where he will be stationed for the duration of his service.

Rain is recognized as one of the most globally influential celebrities to come out of Korea. In 2006, Time magazine featured him as one of the “100 most influential people who shape our world” in an article on its Web site.

The 29-year-old made his debut in 2002 with the album “Bad Guy” and has since released seven albums and 19 singles. His musical career took off with the overwhelming success of the song “Ways to Avoid the Sun,” the title track from his second album.

After finding success as a singer, Rain then went on to pursue acting. After a few small parts, he starred in the popular TV drama “Sang Doo! Let’s Go to School!” in 2003, for which he received critical acclaim and achieved commercial success. In the same year, he won the KBS best new actor award for his role in the series.

He would later go on to star in other TV dramas including “Full House” in 2004, starring opposite actress Song Hye-gyo, as well as “A Love to Kill” in 2005. It was “Full House” that boosted Rain’s popularity in other Asian countries, including in the Philippines, Malaysia, Indonesia and Vietnam, making him a household name in this part of the world.

Ever the ambitious superstar, Rain also went on to star in films, the first of which was director Park Chan-wook’s “I’m a Cyborg, But That’s OK” in 2006 opposite actress Im Su-jeong.

He then ventured in to the U.S. market, with roles in the Hollywood films “Speed Racer” and “Ninja Assassin.”

On Sunday, the singer wrapped up his last cross-country tour before starting his military service at the Gymnastics Stadium in Olympic Park, eastern Seoul. The two-day concert attracted more than 20,000 fans.

By Cho Jae-eun [jainnie@joongang.co.kr]

Top K-pop star Rain joins Army

EUIJEONGBU, South Korea, Oct. 11 (Yonhap) -- South Korean pop singer and actor Rain entered a boot camp on Tuesday amid a barrage of camera flashes from journalists to begin his mandatory military service.

Rain, 29, whose real name is Jung Ji-hoon, is one of the most popular male celebrities in Korea and is widely known across Asia.

AEN20111011007700315_01_i.jpg

"Thank you for coming. ... I'll see you later," he said smiling brightly and bowing politely to about 1,000 journalists and his fans gathering in front of the main gate of the boot camp in Euijeongbu, 23 kilometers north of Seoul, to see him.

Some of the fans, including hundreds from Japan, Taiwan and China and other Asian nations, burst into tears when the singer walked into the camp after bidding farewell.

The singer is scheduled to go through about eight weeks of basic training at the boot camp and finish his remaining period of his 22-month-long military service in another place.

AEN20111011007700315_02_i.jpg

Credit : Yonhap News

RAIN's enlistment is telecast Live on TV

rain_military_buzzcut2.jpg

Fighting back tears, Rain salutes to his fans before disappearing to camp

Korean world star Rain (29) salutes his adoring fans and looked as if he was fighting back tears in his final good-bye to fans. Over 1,200 fans turned up at the training camp at Gyeongido to bid their final good-bye before Rain enlists for the compulsory 2 year national service.

Besides Hyun Bin, Rain is the only celebrity thus far to have his enlistment telecast LIVE on television! It’s such a monumental event that Korean channels like tvN and Mnet sent their crew.

Rain says – “I’ll do my best to come back in one piece.”

The star who waited until the very last minute to enlist i.e. at the very ripe old age of 29 (every male South Korean has to serve before they turn 30), performed to his fans to the very last minute. He even performed with his military buzzcut on 9th October at the Kangnam Hallyu Festival.

rain_military_buzzcut1.jpg

Bye bye Bi, see you soon!

Lastly, check out the video here…

My link

via AllKpop / k-popped

Rain's Final Words Before Entering the Military

by: dramafreak_ on Oct 11, 2011

4b978c37b62670c1316cc931a69f123a_large.jpg

Today, October 11, Rain has officially entered the military.

d875b7b3bed62efcba5d7da8fa1dc20c_large.jpg

At 1:10 PM, just before entering the base, Rain quickly greeted his loyal friends and fans for the very last time. He said, “Thank you for your support, I will go and come back safely.”

He was accompanied by his dancers and friends like, the MBLAQ members, actor Jung Suk Won and Koyote’s Bbaek Ga. His loyal friends were there cheering for him, right beside the stage, shouting his name.

7230acb8b3680799bcf687f5bc157d81_large.jpg

The actor Jung Suk Won has recently worked together with Rain for his new movie “Bisang” and was present at this event for showing his support to his colleague and friend.

The MBLAQ members as well as the dancers got emotional as soon as Rain got into the car and drove to the base.

However, Koyote’s Bbaek Ga could not hold down his tears anymore and cried when his close friend left for the base, making Rain even more emotional. Even after Rain left, Bbaek Ga stayed alone for a while, trying to get himself together.

Rain will get his basic training for the coming eight weeks before officially starting his active military duty.

See the video below for his last words before entering the base station.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGpcDA5n5lg&feature=player_embedded

credit:dramafreak_@scoop

Teardrops Fall as Rain Enlists in Army

2011101200578_0.jpg

After giving teary-eyed fans a rousing send off on Sunday with a free street concert in Gangnam, a newly-cropped Rain enlisted in the Army on Tuesday afternoon for 21 months of compulsory military service.

The "Ninja Assassin" star and Korean Wave singing sensation reported to the 306th Army draft camp in Uijeongbu, Gyeonggi Province. He is going to take up active duty after a five-week boot camp.

The former back-up dancer who rose to international fame held a press conference at a nearby vacant lot and bade farewell to fans before he disappeared into the Army camp.

The ever-humble star said, "I'm sorry for making a fuss about my enlistment." He thanked fans for supporting him for the best part of a decade and looked emotional as he headed off for a life of drills, discipline and Army fatigues.

He was seen off by friends and acquaintances including K-pop boy band MBLAQ, which he helped create and manage.

About 1,000 fans from home and abroad, including those from the U.S., Japan, China, Taiwan and Hong Kong, gathered to see him carrying placards wishing him the best.

On Sunday night, Rain gave a free concert on Yeongdong Boulevard in Samseong-dong as part of the Gangnam Fashion Festival.

He debuted as a solo artist in 2002 and has since expanded his scope of activities to include TV dramas and films. In 2006, Time magazine named him on its list of the top 100 people who were transforming the world with their talent or power.

"Thanks to his angelic face, killer bod and Justin Timber-like dance moves, Rain … has ridden the crest of hallyu," wrote Time reporter Bryan Walsh.

Rain acted in the Hollywood movie "Speed Racer" in 2008 and starred in the action film "Ninja Assassin" one year later.

2011101200578_1.jpg

2011101200578_2.jpg

2011101200578_3.jpg

2011101200578_4.jpg

2011101200578_5.jpg

2011101200578_6.jpg

2011101200578_8.jpg

2011101200578_9.jpg

englishnews@chosun.com / Oct. 12, 2011 09:17 KST

Rain off to military

111011_p03_rain.jpg

By Yun Suh-young

Korean pop star and actor Rain joined the military Tuesday amid farewells from his devoted fans.

“Thank you for coming. I’m sorry to make such a fuss while leaving. I’ll be back from my duties soon,” said Rain, Tuesday, to fans who came to see him enter a military base in Uijeongbu, Gyeonggi Province.

Rain, 29, whose real name is Jung Ji-hoon, smiled throughout the farewell event thanking his fans for the love they have given him over the past 10 years.

More than 1,000 people crowded near the base to see Rain on his last day as a civilian, waiting for two and a half hours for him to appear.

Holding placards saying, “I will wait for you, Rain,” fans waited in front of the base from 10:30 a.m.

The meeting between Rain and his fans, however, only lasted five minutes.

The star’s popularity was far reaching.

A few hundred fans were from Asia — Japan, Hong Kong, and Taiwan — and about 150 foreign and domestic journalists were also present at the scene, proving the star’s international popularity.

The foreign fans who came all the way to Korea to see the pop star burst into tears as the meeting ended quickly.

Rain will serve in the military for the next 22 months.

ysy@koreatimes.co.kr

* Superstar Rain Joins Army

* [2011-10-12]

Singer Rain (real name Jeong Ji Hoon, 29) greeted his fans in front of the 306 Reserve Forces in Uijeongbu on October 11 right before he entered the training camp. He will undergo basic military training for five weeks and then he will serve as a soldier. Around 1,000 fans cried in farewell to Rain, and many news reporters from home and abroad competed to cover the story. Rain said before he entered the camp to fulfill his military obligation, “I am sorry to cause this fuss around here. I will do my best in the army. Good bye.”

7940_3167_l.jpg

▲ Rain entered the army

Rain appeared in the parking lot across the 306 Reserve Forces at around 1:10 pm in a khaki jacket and jeans. His face under a beanie was smiling all the time. He left his car and moved to the place where he was supposed to have a fan meeting. After he took off his beanie, he politely greeted his fans and news reporters and said, “I will do my best in the army.” He saluted to his fans and continued, “Thank you for your love shown to me for the past ten years.” He said goodbye to his fans. His fans had been waiting for him for more than two and half hours, but their meeting with Rain took only five minutes. Rain went back to his car and entered the training camp.

7940_3168_l.jpg

Around 1,000 fans and news reporters gathered to see Rain. When he exited his car, all of his fans yelled out and pressed the shutter of their cameras, and around 150 news reporters competed to cover the story of his joining the army. Foreign presses such as Reuters from England and TBS from Japan proved his popularity as a world star. His fans had arrived in Uijeongbu at around 10:30 in the morning, bringing a huge picture of Rain and placards saying, “I will wait for you, Rain” and they had been waiting for him in front of the Reserve Forces. Hundreds of fans came from foreign countries such as Japan, Hong Kong, and Taiwan, and they broke into tears after the short meeting with Rain. A woman named Elphin Tan from Singapore said on the verge of tears, “I have been a huge fan of Rain for a long time. I am very sad that he is joining the Korean army.” Another fan from Japan named Yamada Misami (38) also said with tears, “I feel lonely as he enters the army, but I hope that he will finish his military obligation in a good condition after two years.” A fan named Lee Jeong Sook (58) encouraged him by saying, “He has become a world superstar after overcoming various difficult situations by himself, so I strongly believe that he can do very well in the army as well.”

7940_3169_l.jpg

Rain participated in the admission ceremony along with 2,000 new soldiers who entered the training camp at the same time, and he began his military duty, which will last for 22 months, by beginning the basic military training for eight weeks.

Source:kbs.co.kr/Entertain/EntertainmentNews

Lee Min-ho, Favorite Korean Actor In Russia

Actor Lee Min-ho was picked as the number one favorite Korean actor in Russia.

According to a survey conducted by a Russian Korean drama site(http://korean-drama.ru), the "Boys Over Flowers" star came in at first place with a 50.39% majority, followed by Kim Hyun-joong, and Rain at third.

Lee most recently was in the news for shutting down popular Chinese portal sites,with his popularity in the recent drama "City Hunters". He was also awarded the Top Award and the Special Hallyu Award at the 2011 Korea Drama Awards. He's also planning on holding a special fan event to meet with his overseas fans soon.

Credit : KBS World

[Oct-12-2011]<Eng.trans> Rain's father talks about Rain (From twitter)

___normal.JPG

kichun jung

kichun4379 kichun jung

행복하세요. 큰절올립니다 꾸~벅 비 아버지 정기춘 올림.

Favorite Retweet Reply

Please be happy..Let me bow deeply to you..~

To all of you with best wishes from Rain's father 'Jung Ki Chun'

___normal.JPG

kichun jung

kichun4379 kichun jung

비 팬여러분 인사가 늦었습니다 비아버지 정기춘입니다. 안녕들 하시죠? 경황이없어 이제 인사드립니다 그동안 아들놈때문에 속두 상하구 즐겁기하구 놀래기두하구 참 많은일이 있어네요 긴 세월동안 아들위해 응원해주신거 너무감사드려요 제대할때까지 건강하시고

Favorite Retweet Reply

Hi, every Rain fan, I apologize for the late greetings.

This is Rain's father 'Jung Ki Chun'.. Good afternoon..

It's been so hectic that I haven't even thanked you..

Many things have happened to my son, so I've felt miserable, I've been amused and surprised by him.

Thank you for supporting him for ages.

Please be healthy until he is discharged from the military service..

___normal.JPG

kichun jung

kichun4379 kichun jung

애들에미를 하늘로 보낼때도 이런맘은 않이였는데..., 자식놈군대보내놓고 맘속이 텅빈것같아 오늘도 아들놈방을 오르락 내리락한다 머리속이 온통 아들놈 생각뿐이다...,

Favorite Retweet Reply

I had taken my wife’s death very hard, but not to this extent..After my son has left, my heart has felt very empty and am keeping going to his room upstairs again today. I can't stop thinking about my boy.

___normal.JPG

kichun jung

kichun4379 kichun jung

하루가 지나간다 지금 내아들 무슨생각하고있을까? 애비걱정 동생걱정에 잠못이루겠지. 걱정이다 한동안 맘고생 하겠구나

Favorite Retweet Reply

The day is passing by..What is my son thinking now? He might lie awake at night worrying about his father and sister...I'm really worried about him..I think he'll be through a lot of heartache for a while..

___normal.JPG

kichun jung

kichun4379 kichun jung

아 무것도 해줄수없는 나는 가슴만 친다 귀하디귀한 자식놈을 군대에보내는 대한민국 모든 부모가 똑같은 마음이겠지만 나는 더 아픈것 같다 내맘이 이럴진데 정작 군대가는 아들놈은 어떠할까 애비걱정에 잘다녀온다 말하며 웃고있지만 만감에 얼굴이 어둡다

Favorite Retweet Reply

»

I can't do anything for him, so I'm just beating my chest in grief..

It is natural that it's impossible to express in words what it's like for every parent to send one's beloved son off to the Army, but it's just so sad for me to see him leaving.

I know that he did cloak his grief with a smile but had a worried look on his face by worrying about his father and sister.

___normal.JPG

kichun jung

kichun4379 kichun jung

2011 년10월11일 오늘 30먹은 아들놈을 군대에 보냈다 아침9시 이층에서 아들놈이 내려와 큰 절을 한다 내 눈에서 뜨거운 눈물이 쭈루~룩 흘러내린다 나는 말없이 바라보다 아들놈을 와락 끄러안았다 아들이 주머니에서 지갑을꺼내 내민다 또 눈물이흐른다

Favorite Retweet Reply

I feel an emptiness in my heart now that I've sent my 30-year-old son off to the Army today (on 11 October 2011)..He walked downstairs to make a deep bow to me at 9am this morning.

When he made a bow to me, tears were falling from my eyes.

I contemplated him in silence and clasped him..

When he took the wallet out of his pocket and poked out it to me, tears fell from my eyes again.

Source : http://twitter.com/#!/kichun4379

Hi bbly, you're so right, we don't know what the future holds for us, but as of now and I hope, forever, we'll remain as Rain fans, love support him all the way we can. :wub:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Oct-12-2011]<Eng.trans>Rain's friends talking to each other about how much they miss Rain via Twitter.

-Brief summary -

Most of them are offering words of encouragement to Rain, feeling an emptiness in their hearts now that they've sent him off to the army.

They handed their letters to him on the spot, so he should read the letters in the privacy of his own space by now and might be moved to tears by the letters.

After he left, there has been a big hole in their hearts and they are realizing the importance of his presence.

Source : Twitter (from gori7911, NyPark79, Oogtak, myjangun, miyeon_y, nonibiy23, Kevinra, EnyonNG2, & showdirectorCEO Tweeters)

I am always realistic, not claiming "I will be a Rain-fan forever", "I will love Rain forever", you never know as the heart can always change. But I just hope that I will be still a Rain-Fan after those 2 years, as he is worth it to be his fan, as his an unique artist.

It is sad to see how his friends talk about him and for sure they will miss him as well.

Rain's Final Words Before Entering the Military

by: dramafreak_ on Oct 11, 2011

*quoted image*

Today, October 11, Rain has officially entered the military.

*quoted image*

At 1:10 PM, just before entering the base, Rain quickly greeted his loyal friends and fans for the very last time. He said, “Thank you for your support, I will go and come back safely.”

He was accompanied by his dancers and friends like, the MBLAQ members, actor Jung Suk Won and Koyote’s Bbaek Ga. His loyal friends were there cheering for him, right beside the stage, shouting his name.

*quoted image*

The actor Jung Suk Won has recently worked together with Rain for his new movie “Bisang” and was present at this event for showing his support to his colleague and friend.

The MBLAQ members as well as the dancers got emotional as soon as Rain got into the car and drove to the base.

However, Koyote’s Bbaek Ga could not hold down his tears anymore and cried when his close friend left for the base, making Rain even more emotional. Even after Rain left, Bbaek Ga stayed alone for a while, trying to get himself together.

Rain will get his basic training for the coming eight weeks before officially starting his active military duty.

See the video below for his last words before entering the base station.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGpcDA5n5lg&feature=player_embedded

credit:dramafreak_@scoop

Ok, I know I am always harsh towards Baekga (and still I am no big fan of him), but seeing him in tears in this picture, well it is quite sad.

[Oct-12-2011]<Eng.trans> Rain's father talks about Rain (From twitter)

*quoted image*

kichun jung

kichun4379 kichun jung

행복하세요. 큰절올립니다 꾸~벅 비 아버지 정기춘 올림.

Favorite Retweet Reply

Please be happy..Let me bow deeply to you..~

To all of you with best wishes from Rain's father 'Jung Ki Chun'

*quoted image*

kichun jung

kichun4379 kichun jung

비 팬여러분 인사가 늦었습니다 비아버지 정기춘입니다. 안녕들 하시죠? 경황이없어 이제 인사드립니다 그동안 아들놈때문에 속두 상하구 즐겁기하구 놀래기두하구 참 많은일이 있어네요 긴 세월동안 아들위해 응원해주신거 너무감사드려요 제대할때까지 건강하시고

Favorite Retweet Reply

Hi, every Rain fan, I apologize for the late greetings.

This is Rain's father 'Jung Ki Chun'.. Good afternoon..

It's been so hectic that I haven't even thanked you..

Many things have happened to my son, so I've felt miserable, I've been amused and surprised by him.

Thank you for supporting him for ages.

Please be healthy until he is discharged from the military service..

*quoted image*

kichun jung

kichun4379 kichun jung

애들에미를 하늘로 보낼때도 이런맘은 않이였는데..., 자식놈군대보내놓고 맘속이 텅빈것같아 오늘도 아들놈방을 오르락 내리락한다 머리속이 온통 아들놈 생각뿐이다...,

Favorite Retweet Reply

I had taken my wife’s death very hard, but not to this extent..After my son has left, my heart has felt very empty and am keeping going to his room upstairs again today. I can't stop thinking about my boy.

*quoted image*

kichun jung

kichun4379 kichun jung

하루가 지나간다 지금 내아들 무슨생각하고있을까? 애비걱정 동생걱정에 잠못이루겠지. 걱정이다 한동안 맘고생 하겠구나

Favorite Retweet Reply

The day is passing by..What is my son thinking now? He might lie awake at night worrying about his father and sister...I'm really worried about him..I think he'll be through a lot of heartache for a while..

*quoted image*

kichun jung

kichun4379 kichun jung

아 무것도 해줄수없는 나는 가슴만 친다 귀하디귀한 자식놈을 군대에보내는 대한민국 모든 부모가 똑같은 마음이겠지만 나는 더 아픈것 같다 내맘이 이럴진데 정작 군대가는 아들놈은 어떠할까 애비걱정에 잘다녀온다 말하며 웃고있지만 만감에 얼굴이 어둡다

Favorite Retweet Reply

»

I can't do anything for him, so I'm just beating my chest in grief..

It is natural that it's impossible to express in words what it's like for every parent to send one's beloved son off to the Army, but it's just so sad for me to see him leaving.

I know that he did cloak his grief with a smile but had a worried look on his face by worrying about his father and sister.

*quoted image*

kichun jung

kichun4379 kichun jung

2011 년10월11일 오늘 30먹은 아들놈을 군대에 보냈다 아침9시 이층에서 아들놈이 내려와 큰 절을 한다 내 눈에서 뜨거운 눈물이 쭈루~룩 흘러내린다 나는 말없이 바라보다 아들놈을 와락 끄러안았다 아들이 주머니에서 지갑을꺼내 내민다 또 눈물이흐른다

Favorite Retweet Reply

I feel an emptiness in my heart now that I've sent my 30-year-old son off to the Army today (on 11 October 2011)..He walked downstairs to make a deep bow to me at 9am this morning.

When he made a bow to me, tears were falling from my eyes.

I contemplated him in silence and clasped him..

When he took the wallet out of his pocket and poked out it to me, tears fell from my eyes again.

Source : http://twitter.com/#!/kichun4379

Oh boy, those tweets from Rain's father aren't very encouraging and they made me even sader. I understand though his worry and sadness as a father. But we should be staying positive for Rain!

Guest lot_lot

tears.gif awww. Jung Ji Hoon finally has entered the military tears.gif It was such a spectacle watching all those people, how love Rain, show him support on his departure day. I was one of the many followers on Twitter waiting, with bated breath, for any tweet updates on his arrival and appearance on site. Almost 24 hours has passed, and for me, it seems like he has been gone a week. I was moved to tears when I read his father's translated tweets. At the moment, I'm trying to stay positive and enjoy the fancams from the street concert. We have a lot of Rain to look forward to, he will release the album he promised to his fans and also, we should start seeing his boot camp pictures in the next few weeks. I hope his spirit and drive are able to propel him further, when his body is ready to collapse. I have no doubt he will survive boot camp and will excel with his position in the army. Jung Ji Hoon, hwaiting!!!

I am always realistic, not claiming "I will be a Rain-fan forever", "I will love Rain forever", you never know as the heart can always change. But I just hope that I will be still a Rain-Fan after those 2 years, as he is worth it to be his fan, as his an unique artist.

It is sad to see how his friends talk about him and for sure they will miss him as well.

Ok, I know I am always harsh towards Baekga (and still I am no big fan of him), but seeing him in tears in this picture, well it is quite sad.

Hi bbly, Rain is really worthy of our support no matter in what capacity we can, and we're truly proud to be his fans. :D

His friends and colleagues are sad and miss him, how much more, we, his clouds. :tears:

*quoted image* awww. Jung Ji Hoon finally has entered the military *quoted image* It was such a spectacle watching all those people, how love Rain, show him support on his departure day. I was one of the many followers on Twitter waiting, with bated breath, for any tweet updates on his arrival and appearance on site. Almost 24 hours has passed, and for me, it seems like he has been gone a week. I was moved to tears when I read his father's translated tweets. At the moment, I'm trying to stay positive and enjoy the fancams from the street concert. We have a lot of Rain to look forward to, he will release the album he promised to his fans and also, we should start seeing his boot camp pictures in the next few weeks. I hope his spirit and drive are able to propel him further, when his body is ready to collapse. I have no doubt he will survive boot camp and will excel with his position in the army. Jung Ji Hoon, hwaiting!!!

Hi 'lot_lot', you said it well, my friend. We have witnessed many trials and hardships in his life and career, but he had surpassed them all victoriously. He is a perfectionist and I feel that his stint in his MS will bring great honor to him and to his country. This is just one of those things and before we knew it, he is back here with us more powerful and a star shining so bright. :D

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Saluting fans, Rain enlists

2011/10/12

photo200136.jpg

Fans of Rain gather in front of the Uijeongbu 306 Reserve Battalion in Gyeonggi, where the star will start his military service.

y Yang Gwang-sam

Korean superstar Rain (whose real name is Jung Ji-hoon) entered the military yesterday afternoon to start his mandatory two-year service.

Around 1,000 people, including fans, friends and the press, gathered in front of the Uijeongbu 306 Reserve Battalion in Gyeonggi, where the star will start his service.

Upon arriving at the site at around 11 a.m., the Hallyu (Korean Wave) star said to his fans, "Thank you for giving me so much love over the last 10 years".

Looking a bit teary-eyed, he gave a firm salute to his fans before entering the training camp.

photo200135.jpg

Rain will serve as an active-duty soldier in the Uijeongbu battalion and will undergo basic training there for five weeks. After the training period, the star will be informed of where he will be stationed for the duration of his service.

Rain is recognized as one of the most globally influential celebrities to come out of Korea. In 2006, Time magazine featured him as one of the "100 most influential people who shape our world" in an article on its Web site.

The 29-year-old made his debut in 2002 with the album "Bad Guy" and has since released seven albums and 19 singles. His musical career took off with the overwhelming success of the song "Ways to Avoid the Sun", the title track from his second album.

After finding success as a singer, Rain then went on to pursue acting. After a few small parts, he starred in the popular TV drama "Sang Doo! Let's go to school" in 2003, for which he received critical acclaim and achieved commercial success. In the same year, he won the KBS best new actor award for his role in the series.

He would later go on to star in other TV dramas including "Full House" in 2004, starring opposite actress Song Hye-kyo, as well as "A Love to Kill" in 2005. It was "Full House" that boosted Rain's popularity in other Asian countries, including in the Philippines, Malaysia, Indonesia and Vietnam, making him a household name in this part of the world.

Ever the ambitious superstar, Rain also went on to star in films, the first of which was director Park Chan-wook's "I'm a Cyborg, But That's OK" in 2006 opposite actress Im Soo-jeong.

He then ventured in to the U.S. market, with roles in the Hollywood films "Speed Racer" and "Ninja Assassin".

On Sunday, the singer wrapped up his last cross-country tour before starting his military service at the Gymnastics Stadium in Olympic Park, eastern Seoul. The two-day concert attracted more than 20,000 fans.

By Cho Jae-eun [jainnie@joongang.co.kr]//HanCinema

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

11-10-12 Rain inside the Camp

2011-10-12

credit as tagged/ratoka@rain-cloud.co.kr

先发张截图吧,哎,各位看到大爷了么。。俺心里又开始疼了

army.jpg

army2.JPG

[10-13] 11-10-07 Rain with Jang Keun Suk and Friends in Busan (farewell meeting)

credit as tagged / ratoka-rainlegend

withJGSinBusan.jpg

*** It's nice to see most celebrities able to just hang and have a drink with each other. Lucky people who were there as well. These stars are really cool And it's the place that is unusual. :sweatingbullets:

Top stars spotted hanging out together after the ’16th BIFF’

On October 12th, SBS‘s ‘One Night in TV Entertainment‘ broadcasted footage of a bevy of stars meeting up and gathering together at the ‘16th Busan International Film Festival‘!

There’s a popular little town for ‘pojangmachas‘ (little street stand walk-ins) in Haewundo that even the stars can’t seem to get enough of. Jang Dong Gun and Odagiri Joe made headlines after meeting up for a round of drinks, but they weren’t the only stars sighted in the area.

The cameras of ‘One Night in TV Entertainment’ were able to catch sightings of Go Soo, Rain, Kim Sun Ah, and Jang Geun Suk sharing drinks.

Rain commented, “I met up with other actors for the first time in a while and spent some quality time with them.”

Other stars included Song Hye Gyo, Yoo Ji Tae, Ji Sung, Mun Chae Won, and Yoo In Na.

201110122121591001_1.jpg

Source + Photos: Newsen via Nate / allkpop

*** I felt my heart breaking again while watching this video. It hurts just watching this thing... I'm literally tearing up once again. This is so freaking' saaaad. Please be safe, RAIN! :sweatingbullets:<_<

Rain shares a final greeting video on his way to enlistment

201110111749251002_1.jpg

To the dismay of fans everywhere, Rain officially enlisted in the Korean army on October 11th. On his way to the military training camp, he filmed a video to share a final goodbye with his fans and uploaded it through YouTube under the title, ‘Rain’s enlistment video revealed.’

The world star is seen sitting in a car, dressed casually in a hat and scarf to fit the autumn weather. Looking into the camera Rain says, “It’s an hour before my enlistment. I promise to be back soon. Over the past ten years I was able to achieve a lot of things because of your support. Thank you for all the tears and laughter throughout our time together and all the many memorable moments,” and ended his speech with a moving, “I love you.”

For his final greeting he said, “I apologize for causing such a fussy enlistment. Thank you for the ten years of love you have shown me,” and finished with a shout of allegiance.

Rain joined the military in Gyunggi-do, Korea on October 11th. Once he completes five weeks of basic military training, he will become an active duty soldier.

My link

Source & Photo: Newsen / allkpop

[Oct-13-2011]<Eng.trans> Rain's interview with SBS TV "Hanbam"_ Woman's most striking features to Rain, are her personality, eyes, and teeth.

Aired on 12 October.

http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/3oenZ5TcuOQ/

5%289%29.jpg

~0:11

Singer Bi (Rain) or actor 'Jung Ji Hoon'.

After 10 years of debuting, he has become a go-getter to dominate the world.

SBS TV's HanBam (Midnight Entertainment news) got an exclusive interview with Rain.

0:14~0:24

Rain : Hi, everyone. This is 'Jung Ji Hoon'

Long time no see.

This is the day that my everything opens to you.

Now Power Interview begins.

0:29~0:34

Reporter : I hear Rain has just arrived. I'll have an interview with him as soon as he shows up.

0:44

R : I'm very pleased to see you, Rain.

0:47

R : Would you hold this (mike) for me? Busan Woman ~~

9:50

- Reporter 'Ji Young' welcoming Rain who has just arrived from a visit to Pusan city -

0:53

Rain : Would you stop it now?

0:56

Rain : It seems to be rather forward of me to be interviewed with earphones.

Sorry to trouble you..

0:59

- The world star impressing us as a decent man -

1:04

R: They respond well to your airport style of management.

Do you often think of your physical appearance when you shows up at the airport?

1:06

Rain : Of course I do (in a jovial manner)

1:08

R : What is the concept of your airport clothes today?

1:13~1:19

Rain : In fact, I wore these clothes even when I left yesterday.

I want to be casually dressed like this.

1:21

R : Are you helped by your stylist usually?

1:23

Rain : As you know, I'm about to enter the army, therefore, my stylist tries not to take care of me very often now.

1:29

R: Let me flick the dust off your shirt.

1:33

- Embarrassment flashed across his face. -

1:35

R : I don't think that's an intention !! I'll flick it off your shirt.

1:37

Rain : That's okay, I'll do it.

1:41~1:50

- He is not resting on his laurels after the success as an actor and singer.

He has since moved on, enjoying immense success in Hollywood -

1:53

- Jagiya Talk! - (= sweetie or honey talk)

1:55

R : Jagiya (Sweetie), tell me on a scale of one to three what is her most striking feature to you when you meet a woman?

1:58~2:02

Rain : Her personality, eyes, and teeth.

2:03

R : Why?

2:03~2:11

Rain : I believe that people's eyes are reflected in their hearts, so when I meet a woman, I become interested in her eyes, and my gaze settle on her teeth before I know it.

2:13

R : When are you attracted to a woman?

2:14~2:20

Rain : When a unexpected physical contact happens to me, and when she smiles whatever I say.

2:21~2:27

R : Is there any woman you can't have a way with?

Rain : Not at all. There is no such woman that I can't have a way with in the world.

2:30~2:33

R: Is there any woman to send you a letter when you serve in the army?

Rain : Sure. There are countless women to do so.

2:35

PD : Are you ready?

R : Yes, everything is ready.

2:38~44

Rain : I used to burst into a laugh and make mistakes whenever I heard these noises while I was filming a movie.

2:44

Rain : It's not much fun..I thin It might be edited.

2:45

R : You won't hear those noises over the next two years.

2:49

- Just then, his face has stiffened -

2:55~3:08

- Rain met SBS's HanBam for the first time in April, 2002.

Rain : I want to be acknowledged as a good vocalist first, and I want to be such a wonderful entertainer in every way. So I'll do my best to show you my evolution in various fields

3:12~3:17

Rain : I promised my late mother I would be sure to win this Grand Award to dedicate it to her. (in 2004)

3:18

- Rain was the first Korean star to give a performance in New York, 2006.

3:26

- He starred in hollywood movie 'Ninja Assassin' in 2009 -

3:30

- He won a MTV Movie Award - Biggest Badass Star award in 2010.

3:35~44

Rain : I couldn't tell if I was awake or dreaming..Many celebrities, the objects of my envy in my boyhood, and I sat next to each other at that time, but it still hasn't hit me yet.

3:45

R : They say that it is no longer necessary for Rain to achieve success by the sweat of his brow. What do you want to do in the future?

3:47~4:06

Rain ; There are many things I want to do.

I want to engage in various entertainment activities in each local language, such as Chinese or Japanese. While I'm at it, I want to win an Oscar or Grammy award.

4:09~4:16

- The person who can beat Rain is just Rain himself.

Rain is the greatest dancer of our time and this generation's ultimate icon.

4:20

R : Would you choose the three best choreographies of yours?

4:23

Rain : In third place is 'How to avoid the Sun' choreography.

4:27

Guest : That shirt was sold a lot at that time (laughing)

4:29~4:55

Rain : When my company chose that song as my title track, I thought its melody was rather too literal and there was even a bored feeling in it.

So I made the song come alive with a choreography.

4:56~5:04

Rain : I danced to a pop music for 30 seconds.

In second place is that dance movement.

5:05~

- The work was the beginning of his fame -

5:11~5:29

Rain : I think that movement called 'Three Breaks' impressed them with its intense simplicity. Guests had begun such opening dances on every TV show program since then.

5:22

Rain : That lingers long in my memory.

5:32

R : What choreography has ranked top?

5:33

Rain : Not to mention Rainism choreography has come out at the top.

5:48

- Rainism was born as Rain had to do all that alone after parting ways with his former company -

5:50~6:10

Rain ; I think I was up at night making the song.

This is a simple movement which indicates the start of the song by striking my palm and fist together repeatedly.

Actually, It was created while I was kidding around and joking.

6:13

Rain : I was able to get the royalties from the song for the first time.

6:19

Rain : Rainism is my most memorable song.

6:21

R : Now you are about to live a turbulent life.

6:25~6:31

Rain : I have to be more adaptable,,I think entering the army increases chances of success for me.

6:36~6:44

R: How will you get along with your senior soldiers who are younger than you?

Rain ; I'm second to none in kneeling down before them, (in giving a complete obedience to their authority) I'll do whatever they say.

6:45

R : Your future senior soldier has all but had a stroke of luck.

6:46~6:51

R : Many stars are encouraging you via videos

6:52

Rain : Please tell me who they are.

6:56

R : "Oppa (Rain), please don't forget that we are always by you" from Girl Generation.

6:58

Rain : I'll arrange this on top of my compartment when I serve in the army.

7:03

R : "I love you oppa forever." from Secret.

7:08

Rain : I'll coat and arrange all of them on top of my compartment.

7:11

R : Can you do that too?

7:15

Rain : I mean it..

7:17~23

Rain: I want to set up a health group for soldiers in the army.

I plan to make them exercise to strengthen their stomach muscles for 30 minutes before they go to bed every day, for 2 hours every Sunday, each.

7:26~49

Rain : I'll be 'Jung Ji Hoon' (Rain) who works hard in a more mature manner.

Entering the army at my age makes me embarrassed and sorry.

It's true that I feel pressure from the overmuch concern on my entering the army.

Anyway, I'll be back after working hard to serve in the army well.

Please be happy and healthy..I'll see you one year and nine months later.

Thank you.

7:54~8:05

Two days before entering the army, Rain gave a great performance before his fans.

We offer up our prayers for his safe return.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

8:12~33

Stars gathered together at Haeundae's snack stall in Busan city for singer and actor Rain who is set to enter the army upcoming 11th. In the gathering, Hanryu star 'Jang Geun Seok', actor 'Goh Soo', actor 'Jung Seok Won' working with Rain on film "Flight: Close to thte Sun", and actress 'Jim Sun Ah' participated.

8:34~39

Rain : I was really glad to see them again after all those years and we had a great time that night.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

8:40~9:02

Rain was called into the draft 306 in Euijungbu city yesterday (11 October).

A big crowd was gathered in front of the drafts to see him.

There were more than 1000 fans both at home and abroad.

This showed us that Rain is indeed a world star.

9:12

Oppa! I'll wait for you. Taiwan loves you. I do fealty to you.

9:23

Please take good care of yourself and I'll wait for you.

9:27

Oppa, I love you.

9:37~9:45

Fans gather massed in front of the drafts and rushed for good seats.

9:52~58

On the day, it was the banners that attracted most attention from people.

"I won't change my feet"

"This is the first I'm saying this..Please hold me tight!"

"Two years will fly like an arrow"

"It is even illegal to have a date with a woman in the army. Please just shovel in the yard!"

9:59~10:15

There were many fans who had been waiting for him since the morning of October 10th, and Rain was accompanied by his close acquaintances such as his protege "MBLAQ," popular group's member "Baekga", actor "Jung Seok Won" and more to the front of the drafts.

10:20

Rain's car finally showed up.

10:30

Since the venue was crowded with people, it wasn't easy for him to get out of the car for a while.

10:41

Rain came out finally.

He remained calm even in a situation.

10:48

A great cheer went up from the crowd.

10:55~10:58

Rain first said thank his fans.

There was a momentary stir in the audience when his closely cropped hair was seen.

11:02~11:16

Rain : Hi, everyone..Thank you for coming.

Anyway, I apologize for any inconvenience this farewell may cause you.

11:19~22

Rain : Anyway, I'll be back after doing the right thing (as a soldier). Thank you.

11:29~11:40

Rain took his hat off and saluted after saying farewell to his fans.

Looking into their faces, so many emotions seemed to cross his mind.

The crowd chanted their hero’s name.

11:42

After he remained silent for a while.

11:47~57

Rain : Thank you for coming today..and thank you for the love many of you have given me over the past decade. See you later.

- He made a bow with some tears in his eyes as if he was overcome with emotion-

12:00

Fans who love him.

12:17

His friends grabbed him in a bear hug and encouraged him.

12:21

His two years will be happy. Within 5 minutes, the poignancy of parting and separation was over.

12:38~52

He left, promising to meet two years later and having many reporters and fans behind him.

Many of his fans seemed to be unable to leave as if something were missing.

12:56~13:02

Baegka, one of his old friends, eventually broke down in tears, and his fans kept shedding tears without end.

13:13

Please cheer up! I love you.

13;16

I'll wait for you.

13:20

Oppa, see you again in Taiwan two years later.

I promise you I'll buy a delicious meal.

13:29

Rain, we'll wait for you.

Credit to http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/3oenZ5TcuOQ/

English translation buy rain bird.

11-10-12 Rain SBS Night of TV entertainment picture

source : sbs // cap by ratoka

1%2813%29.jpg

2%2812%29.jpg

3%2813%29.jpg

4%289%29.jpg

6%286%29.jpg

[Oct-13-2011]<Eng.trans> Rain's interview with SBS TV "Hanbam"_ Woman's most striking features to Rain, are her personality, eyes, and teeth.

Aired on 12 October.

http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/3oenZ5TcuOQ/

*quoted image*

~0:11

Singer Bi (Rain) or actor 'Jung Ji Hoon'.

After 10 years of debuting, he has become a go-getter to dominate the world.

SBS TV's HanBam (Midnight Entertainment news) got an exclusive interview with Rain.

0:14~0:24

Rain : Hi, everyone. This is 'Jung Ji Hoon'

Long time no see.

This is the day that my everything opens to you.

Now Power Interview begins.

0:29~0:34

Reporter : I hear Rain has just arrived. I'll have an interview with him as soon as he shows up.

0:44

R : I'm very pleased to see you, Rain.

0:47

R : Would you hold this (mike) for me? Busan Woman ~~

9:50

- Reporter 'Ji Young' welcoming Rain who has just arrived from a visit to Pusan city -

0:53

Rain : Would you stop it now?

0:56

Rain : It seems to be rather forward of me to be interviewed with earphones.

Sorry to trouble you..

0:59

- The world star impressing us as a decent man -

1:04

R: They respond well to your airport style of management.

Do you often think of your physical appearance when you shows up at the airport?

1:06

Rain : Of course I do (in a jovial manner)

1:08

R : What is the concept of your airport clothes today?

1:13~1:19

Rain : In fact, I wore these clothes even when I left yesterday.

I want to be casually dressed like this.

1:21

R : Are you helped by your stylist usually?

1:23

Rain : As you know, I'm about to enter the army, therefore, my stylist tries not to take care of me very often now.

1:29

R: Let me flick the dust off your shirt.

1:33

- Embarrassment flashed across his face. -

1:35

R : I don't think that's an intention !! I'll flick it off your shirt.

1:37

Rain : That's okay, I'll do it.

1:41~1:50

- He is not resting on his laurels after the success as an actor and singer.

He has since moved on, enjoying immense success in Hollywood -

1:53

- Jagiya Talk! - (= sweetie or honey talk)

1:55

R : Jagiya (Sweetie), tell me on a scale of one to three what is her most striking feature to you when you meet a woman?

1:58~2:02

Rain : Her personality, eyes, and teeth.

2:03

R : Why?

2:03~2:11

Rain : I believe that people's eyes are reflected in their hearts, so when I meet a woman, I become interested in her eyes, and my gaze settle on her teeth before I know it.

2:13

R : When are you attracted to a woman?

2:14~2:20

Rain : When a unexpected physical contact happens to me, and when she smiles whatever I say.

2:21~2:27

R : Is there any woman you can't have a way with?

Rain : Not at all. There is no such woman that I can't have a way with in the world.

2:30~2:33

R: Is there any woman to send you a letter when you serve in the army?

Rain : Sure. There are countless women to do so.

2:35

PD : Are you ready?

R : Yes, everything is ready.

2:38~44

Rain : I used to burst into a laugh and make mistakes whenever I heard these noises while I was filming a movie.

2:44

Rain : It's not much fun..I thin It might be edited.

2:45

R : You won't hear those noises over the next two years.

2:49

- Just then, his face has stiffened -

2:55~3:08

- Rain met SBS's HanBam for the first time in April, 2002.

Rain : I want to be acknowledged as a good vocalist first, and I want to be such a wonderful entertainer in every way. So I'll do my best to show you my evolution in various fields

3:12~3:17

Rain : I promised my late mother I would be sure to win this Grand Award to dedicate it to her. (in 2004)

3:18

- Rain was the first Korean star to give a performance in New York, 2006.

3:26

- He starred in hollywood movie 'Ninja Assassin' in 2009 -

3:30

- He won a MTV Movie Award - Biggest Badass Star award in 2010.

3:35~44

Rain : I couldn't tell if I was awake or dreaming..Many celebrities, the objects of my envy in my boyhood, and I sat next to each other at that time, but it still hasn't hit me yet.

3:45

R : They say that it is no longer necessary for Rain to achieve success by the sweat of his brow. What do you want to do in the future?

3:47~4:06

Rain ; There are many things I want to do.

I want to engage in various entertainment activities in each local language, such as Chinese or Japanese. While I'm at it, I want to win an Oscar or Grammy award.

4:09~4:16

- The person who can beat Rain is just Rain himself.

Rain is the greatest dancer of our time and this generation's ultimate icon.

4:20

R : Would you choose the three best choreographies of yours?

4:23

Rain : In third place is 'How to avoid the Sun' choreography.

4:27

Guest : That shirt was sold a lot at that time (laughing)

4:29~4:55

Rain : When my company chose that song as my title track, I thought its melody was rather too literal and there was even a bored feeling in it.

So I made the song come alive with a choreography.

4:56~5:04

Rain : I danced to a pop music for 30 seconds.

In second place is that dance movement.

5:05~

- The work was the beginning of his fame -

5:11~5:29

Rain : I think that movement called 'Three Breaks' impressed them with its intense simplicity. Guests had begun such opening dances on every TV show program since then.

5:22

Rain : That lingers long in my memory.

5:32

R : What choreography has ranked top?

5:33

Rain : Not to mention Rainism choreography has come out at the top.

5:48

- Rainism was born as Rain had to do all that alone after parting ways with his former company -

5:50~6:10

Rain ; I think I was up at night making the song.

This is a simple movement which indicates the start of the song by striking my palm and fist together repeatedly.

Actually, It was created while I was kidding around and joking.

6:13

Rain : I was able to get the royalties from the song for the first time.

6:19

Rain : Rainism is my most memorable song.

6:21

R : Now you are about to live a turbulent life.

6:25~6:31

Rain : I have to be more adaptable,,I think entering the army increases chances of success for me.

6:36~6:44

R: How will you get along with your senior soldiers who are younger than you?

Rain ; I'm second to none in kneeling down before them, (in giving a complete obedience to their authority) I'll do whatever they say.

6:45

R : Your future senior soldier has all but had a stroke of luck.

6:46~6:51

R : Many stars are encouraging you via videos

6:52

Rain : Please tell me who they are.

6:56

R : "Oppa (Rain), please don't forget that we are always by you" from Girl Generation.

6:58

Rain : I'll arrange this on top of my compartment when I serve in the army.

7:03

R : "I love you oppa forever." from Secret.

7:08

Rain : I'll coat and arrange all of them on top of my compartment.

7:11

R : Can you do that too?

7:15

Rain : I mean it..

7:17~23

Rain: I want to set up a health group for soldiers in the army.

I plan to make them exercise to strengthen their stomach muscles for 30 minutes before they go to bed every day, for 2 hours every Sunday, each.

7:26~49

Rain : I'll be 'Jung Ji Hoon' (Rain) who works hard in a more mature manner.

Entering the army at my age makes me embarrassed and sorry.

It's true that I feel pressure from the overmuch concern on my entering the army.

Anyway, I'll be back after working hard to serve in the army well.

Please be happy and healthy..I'll see you one year and nine months later.

Thank you.

7:54~8:05

Two days before entering the army, Rain gave a great performance before his fans.

We offer up our prayers for his safe return.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

8:12~33

Stars gathered together at Haeundae's snack stall in Busan city for singer and actor Rain who is set to enter the army upcoming 11th. In the gathering, Hanryu star 'Jang Geun Seok', actor 'Goh Soo', actor 'Jung Seok Won' working with Rain on film "Flight: Close to thte Sun", and actress 'Jim Sun Ah' participated.

8:34~39

Rain : I was really glad to see them again after all those years and we had a great time that night.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

8:40~9:02

Rain was called into the draft 306 in Euijungbu city yesterday (11 October).

A big crowd was gathered in front of the drafts to see him.

There were more than 1000 fans both at home and abroad.

This showed us that Rain is indeed a world star.

9:12

Oppa! I'll wait for you. Taiwan loves you. I do fealty to you.

9:23

Please take good care of yourself and I'll wait for you.

9:27

Oppa, I love you.

9:37~9:45

Fans gather massed in front of the drafts and rushed for good seats.

9:52~58

On the day, it was the banners that attracted most attention from people.

"I won't change my feet"

"This is the first I'm saying this..Please hold me tight!"

"Two years will fly like an arrow"

"It is even illegal to have a date with a woman in the army. Please just shovel in the yard!"

9:59~10:15

There were many fans who had been waiting for him since the morning of October 10th, and Rain was accompanied by his close acquaintances such as his protege "MBLAQ," popular group's member "Baekga", actor "Jung Seok Won" and more to the front of the drafts.

10:20

Rain's car finally showed up.

10:30

Since the venue was crowded with people, it wasn't easy for him to get out of the car for a while.

Rain came out finally.

He remained calm even in a situation.

10:48

A great cheer went up from the crowd.

10:55~10:58

Rain first said thank his fans.

There was a momentary stir in the audience when his closely cropped hair was seen.

11:02~11:16

Rain : Hi, everyone..Thank you for coming.

Anyway, I apologize for any inconvenience this farewell may cause you.

11:19~22

Rain : Anyway, I'll be back after doing the right thing (as a soldier). Thank you.

11:29~11:40

Rain took his hat off and saluted after saying farewell to his fans.

Looking into their faces, so many emotions seemed to cross his mind.

The crowd chanted their hero’s name.

11:42

After he remained silent for a while.

11:47~57

Rain : Thank you for coming today..and thank you for the love many of you have given me over the past decade. See you later.

- He made a bow with some tears in his eyes as if he was overcome with emotion-

12:00

Fans who love him.

12:17

His friends grabbed him in a bear hug and encouraged him.

12:21

His two years will be happy. Within 5 minutes, the poignancy of parting and separation was over.

12:38~52

He left, promising to meet two years later and having many reporters and fans behind him.

Many of his fans seemed to be unable to leave as if something were missing.

12:56~13:02

Baegka, one of his old friends, eventually broke down in tears, and his fans kept shedding tears without end.

13:13

Please cheer up! I love you.

13;16

I'll wait for you.

13:20

Oppa, see you again in Taiwan two years later.

I promise you I'll buy a delicious meal.

13:29

Rain, we'll wait for you.

Credit to http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/3oenZ5TcuOQ/

English translation buy rain bird.

11-10-12 Rain SBS Night of TV entertainment picture

source : sbs // cap by ratoka

*quoted image*

*quoted image*

*quoted image*

*quoted image*

*quoted image*

anjjo, thanks for posting this here. Re-watching the video of the time he was enlisted, I could see that upon arriving at the camp gate, he seemed surprised of all the fans and reporters that had come to bid him farewell. :mellow:<_<

*** However, since he has to comply with Army’s schedule, I don’t think he could get the chance to exercise everyday. I hope he could get to receive a lot of fans’ goodies like snacks, food etc because the only food available in the camp is army food. But, I hope this will not cause him to gain weight. :sweatingbullets:<_<

10-13] [Fancam]11-10-11 Rain inside military camp

credit : charlottelu @ Youku / ratoka-rainlegend

My link

*** He drew a lot of media attention, thus he was featured in a variety of mediums, such as these newspapers & other more…………….Even before his actual enlistment, he has created a buzz of talk on so many news regarding his MS. :mellow:<_<

[Oct--13-2011] International press reports collection_ Pop sensation Rain joins South Korean army

[11-Oct-11] Pop sensation Rain joins South Korean army

- cbsnews/abcnews -

By JIN-MAN LEE and SAM KIM Associated Press

UIJEONGBU, South Korea October 11, 2011 (AP)

Leaving behind hundreds of tearful fans, South Korean pop star Rain put on hold one of the most successful entertainment careers in Asia as he entered boot camp Tuesday to begin nearly two years of military service.

The 29-year-old singer and actor gave a military salute and said farewell before he disappeared into an army base in the city of Uijeongbu north of Seoul.

"Thank you for the 10 years of love," Rain told his fans, his hair cropped neatly, tears welling in his eyes. He made his debut about a decade ago. Many of the fans were from Japan and China and held banners with messages meant to cheer up the star.

Rain, whose real name is Jung Ji-hoon, will serve 21 months in South Korea's 650,000-strong military. All able-bodied South Korean men are required to serve about two to three years — a legacy of the 1950-53 Korean War — and Rain isn't expected to receive any special treatment.

Military service has agonized many young South Korean entertainers and athletes hoping to continue their successful careers. Athletes can be exempted if they win an Olympic gold medal or other major achievements that help improve the country's image. But entertainers — no matter how successful they are abroad — have not enjoyed such tolerance from the government.

"Entertainers are thought to work for their own sakes. That's the difference," Hwang Sang-min, a Yonsei University psychology professor and frequent commentator on popular entertainment, said.

A series of draft-dodging scandals involving top stars in recent years has also made things more difficult for entertainers.

Song Seung-heon, a Korean drama star hugely popular in Japan and other Asian countries, suffered a massive public backlash in 2004 when he was found to have attempted to avoid the draft. He eventually went to the army and is now back on the path of success.

"The mood against draft dodgers is so hostile that nowadays entertainers feel it's better to simply get it over with," said Ha Jae-keun, a South Korean pop columnist.

A two- or three-year hiatus often meant irrecoverable damage to an entertainer in the past, with stars losing jobs and people moving on to new faces, but Ha said that doesn't seem to be the case any longer. A record of military service can actually enhance an entertainer's image, he said.

Highly popular stars like Zo In-sung, So Ji-sub and Won Bin have seen military service add to their success rather than detract, he said.

Kim Hee-ra, a 21-year-old Sogang University student in Seoul, both grieved and welcomed Rain's enrollment in the army.

"The fact that Rain entered the army without any attempts to be exempted will positively affect his future career," she said.

Still, one South Korean fan worried that Rain may not be as popular after a two-year publicity blackout. Lee Jin-young, 22, also worried that Rain may find his service to be tougher because he is starting at a relatively old age. Many people serve in their early 20s.

———

Kim reported from Seoul, South Korea. Associated Press writer Jiyoung Won in Seoul also contributed to this report.

source : http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory/pop-sensation-rain-joins-south-korean-army-14709452

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/10/11/ap/entertainment/main20118395.shtml

[11-Oct-11] Hundreds see K-Pop star Rain start military service

- reuters -

(Reuters) - Hundreds of weeping and cheering fans from China, Japan and Malaysia gathered at a military base outside the South Korean capital of Seoul on Tuesday to bid farewell to Korean pop-star Rain as he signed up for military service.

Jung Ji-hoon, known by his stage name Rain, is part of the "Korean Wave" of drama and popular music that has taken Asia by storm over the past decade and his third album, "It's Raining," sold a million copies in Asia after its release in 2004.

"It is so sad that Mr Rain will be gone for two years," said Sachiko, a weeping Japanese fan who came to Korea for Rain's last concert and to witness his enlistment.

"I am sure all his fans back in Japan would have wanted to be here today. So we want to make sure we see him off properly."

As well as music, Rain has built a career in film and began his Hollywood career as a minor character in Wachowski Brother's "Speed Racer." He was cast as the lead actor for his second Hollywood film, "Ninja Assassin," which won him the "Biggest Badass" award from MTV.

The three-times winner of TIME magazine's annual 'TIME 100 Poll' in 2006, 2007 and 2011 will undertake 21 months of compulsory military service in the South Korean armed forces.

"Thank you for loving me so much for the past 10 years. Goodbye and I'll be back," Rain told his fans.

Korean drama heart-throb Hyun Bin, best known for his role in the drama "Secret Garden," attracted thousands of fans when he signed up for military service this year.

The 28-year-old won a sharpshooter badge and was posted to an island on the tense border with North Korea, which remains technically at war with the South after the Korean War ended in 1953 with an armistice.

(Editing by David Chance and Sugita Katyal)

source : http://in.reuters.com/article/slideshow/idINTRE79A1CR20111011#a=5

[11-Oct-11] Pop star Rain begins South Korean army stint

- CTV News -

CTV.jpg

The Associated Press

Date: Tuesday Oct. 11, 2011 7:43 AM ET

UIJEONGBU, South Korea — South Korean pop star Rain is temporarily giving up his entertainment career to join the military.

The 29-year-old singer and actor gave a military salute to tearful fans Tuesday before walking into a boot camp in the city of Uijeongbu north of Seoul.

Many of the hundreds of fans gathered in front of the base were from Japan and China.

All able-bodied South Korean men are required to serve two to three years in the military, a legacy of the Korean War of the 1950s. Rain isn't expected to receive any special treatment during his time in the army.

Rain's real name is Jung Ji-hoon. He is one of Asia's most popular stars.

He made his Hollywood film debut in "Speed Racer" in 2008.

source : http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/Entertainment/20111011/rain-enters-south-korean-army-two-year-service-111011

[11-Oct-11] Korean pop star Rain reports for military service.

- yahoo News-

yahoo.jpg

South Korean pop star Rain entered a boot camp Tuesday to beginmandatory military service, bidding farewell to weeping fans.

"Thank you for coming... I'll see you later," he said, beaming and bowing to about 1,000 people including journalists and fans outside the camp in the northern suburbs of Seoul.

Many fans, including hundreds from Japan, Taiwan, China and elsewhere in Asia, burst into tears when the singer disappeared into the camp, Yonhap news agency reported.

Rain, 29, whose real name is Jung Ji-Hoon, is one of the country's most popular male celebrities and helped spark the Korean Wave of pop culture in Asia and elsewhere.

The singer will undergo eight weeks of basic training before being posted elsewhere for the remainder of his 22 months' service. He staged a farewell concert in Seoul Sunday attended by 20,000 fans.

South Korea, which has remained technically at war with North Korea since their 1950-1953 conflict, requires all eligible men to serve in the military, although candidates can defer their service.

source : http://news.yahoo.com/korean-pop-star-rain-reports-military-103209982.html

[12-Oct-11] South Korean pop star Rain begins mandatory military service.

- CNN -

cnn%281%29.jpg

Korean pop and movie star Rain, whose real name is Jung Ji-hoon, joined his country’s military Tuesday, according to news reports.

“Thank you for coming. I’m sorry to make such a fuss while leaving. I’ll be back from my duties soon,” Rain told about 1,000 fans near a military base in Uijeongbu, Gyeonggi Province, the Korean Times reported.

The celebrity thanked screaming fans, managed a grin and gave them a solemn military salute before retreating into the camp. The farewell lasted five minutes, the Korean Times reported.

Rain, 29, will serve in the military for about 22 months. By law, all South Korean males must serve their country for two years by the end of the year they turn 30. Rain, who has been an international music star for about a decade, has chosen to cut it close.

Major League Baseball's Shin-Soo Choo faced a similar situation last year, narrowly avoiding compulsory military service by cashing in on a gold medal exemption offered by the government when his South Korean national team won it all at the Asia Games.

On Tuesday, hundreds of foreign journalists and fans came from as far away as Japan and Hong Kong to see Rain begin his compulsory service.

Rain, a major part of the rise in Korean pop internationally, was named one ofTime Magazine's Most Influential People in the World.

He begin his movie career in 2006 with the popular Korean film “I’m a Cyborg, But That’s OK.” Hollywood came calling shortly after when he was cast in 2008’s “Speed Racer.” He then went on to star in “Ninja Assassin.”

SOURCE : http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2011/10/11/south-korean-pop-star-rain-begins-mandatory-military-service/

[12-Oct-11]Rain: King of K-Pop

- LIFE-

life.jpg

When the South Korean singer-actor known as Rain had his head shaved and reported for his mandatory two years of military service in October 2011, millions of Asian hearts were broken. After all, Rain is the reigning king of Korean pop -- or K-Pop -- and his crooning can be heard around the world. But his fans needn't hold their breaths for 731 days. After all, there are always plenty of photos to keep the passion alive. Think of them as the silver lining in Rain's dark cloud.

Photo: Han Myung-Gu/WireImage

source : http://www.life.com/gallery/66301/image/128771057/rain-king-of-k-pop#index/0

[12-10-11] Rain Reports for Duty as Fans Weep

- Wall Street Journal -

1110130805bd6778ed31b4d6aa.jpg

http://blogs.wsj.com/scene/2011/10/12/rain-reports-for-duty-as-fans-weep/

October 12, 2011, 8:09 PM HKT.

Rain Reports for Duty as Fans Weep.

By Dean Napolitano

Ain’t no sunshine when Rain’s gone.

The South Korean singer-actor, whose real name is Jung Ji-hoon, began his two-year mandatory military service on Tuesday. News photographs showed the 29-year-old pop star, sporting uncharacteristically short hair, saluting hundreds of fans (many of them sobbing) as he prepared to enter an army base near Seoul.

Everett Collection

Rain appeared in the 2006 film ‘I’m a Cyborg, but That’s OK’ alongside Lim Su-jeong. View photosAll Korean men are required to serve in the military by the age of 35, although most fulfill their duty in their early 20s. Rain (비) said recently that he wished he had completed his service at an earlier age.

His career took off nearly a decade ago, and he quickly became one of Asia’s biggest entertainers, playing to sold-out concerts across the region. He made his film debut in 2006 as a young man confined to a mental hospital in the off-beat Korean comedy-drama “I’m a Cyborg, but That’s OK.”

He appeared in two Hollywood action films: “Speed Racer” in 2008 and “Ninja Assassin” in 2009. The latter won him an MTV Movie Award, and in a further sign of his clout in the U.S., Megan Fox called him a “Korean Justin Timberlake.”

Rain made a handful of high-profile public appearances in the days leading up to his conscription. He appeared at the Busan International Film Festival late last week to promote his film “Soar Into the Sun,” which is scheduled for release next year. He partied late into the night with other celebrities at the Asia Pacific Actors Network bash in the Haeundae Grand Hotel.

On Sunday, more than 20,000 fans showed up to see him sing at an outdoor festival, according to news reports, a final performance until his military duty is complete.

*** He drew a lot of media attention, thus he was featured in a variety of mediums, such as these newspapers & other more…………….Even before his actual enlistment, he has created a buzz of talk on so many news regarding his MS. :mellow:<_<

[Oct--13-2011] International press reports collection_ Pop sensation Rain joins South Korean army

[11-Oct-11] Pop sensation Rain joins South Korean army

- cbsnews/abcnews -

By JIN-MAN LEE and SAM KIM Associated Press

UIJEONGBU, South Korea October 11, 2011 (AP)

Leaving behind hundreds of tearful fans, South Korean pop star Rain put on hold one of the most successful entertainment careers in Asia as he entered boot camp Tuesday to begin nearly two years of military service.

The 29-year-old singer and actor gave a military salute and said farewell before he disappeared into an army base in the city of Uijeongbu north of Seoul.

"Thank you for the 10 years of love," Rain told his fans, his hair cropped neatly, tears welling in his eyes. He made his debut about a decade ago. Many of the fans were from Japan and China and held banners with messages meant to cheer up the star.

Rain, whose real name is Jung Ji-hoon, will serve 21 months in South Korea's 650,000-strong military. All able-bodied South Korean men are required to serve about two to three years — a legacy of the 1950-53 Korean War — and Rain isn't expected to receive any special treatment.

Military service has agonized many young South Korean entertainers and athletes hoping to continue their successful careers. Athletes can be exempted if they win an Olympic gold medal or other major achievements that help improve the country's image. But entertainers — no matter how successful they are abroad — have not enjoyed such tolerance from the government.

"Entertainers are thought to work for their own sakes. That's the difference," Hwang Sang-min, a Yonsei University psychology professor and frequent commentator on popular entertainment, said.

A series of draft-dodging scandals involving top stars in recent years has also made things more difficult for entertainers.

Song Seung-heon, a Korean drama star hugely popular in Japan and other Asian countries, suffered a massive public backlash in 2004 when he was found to have attempted to avoid the draft. He eventually went to the army and is now back on the path of success.

"The mood against draft dodgers is so hostile that nowadays entertainers feel it's better to simply get it over with," said Ha Jae-keun, a South Korean pop columnist.

A two- or three-year hiatus often meant irrecoverable damage to an entertainer in the past, with stars losing jobs and people moving on to new faces, but Ha said that doesn't seem to be the case any longer. A record of military service can actually enhance an entertainer's image, he said.

Highly popular stars like Zo In-sung, So Ji-sub and Won Bin have seen military service add to their success rather than detract, he said.

Kim Hee-ra, a 21-year-old Sogang University student in Seoul, both grieved and welcomed Rain's enrollment in the army.

"The fact that Rain entered the army without any attempts to be exempted will positively affect his future career," she said.

Still, one South Korean fan worried that Rain may not be as popular after a two-year publicity blackout. Lee Jin-young, 22, also worried that Rain may find his service to be tougher because he is starting at a relatively old age. Many people serve in their early 20s.

Hi willenette, thanks for sharing all these news about Rain's enlistment. Truly a world star and I hope we will get some

information and updates inside the camp. :lol:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Video message to Rain by IU,SHINee,SNSD,Shin Se Kyung and more!

Oct., 2011

IU.jpg

Check out the video message below by various popular stars!

----------------------------------------------------------------

12.Oct10.11[Magazine]BI Rain @ newspaper

2011-10-12-e5a4aae999bde5a0b1.jpg

source : weibo as tagged//wawalalal@rain-cloud.co.kr.

Hi willenette, thanks for sharing all these news about Rain's enlistment. Truly a world star and I hope we will get some

information and updates inside the camp. :lol:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Video message to Rain by IU,SHINee,SNSD,Shin Se Kyung and more!

Oct., 2011

*quoted image*

Check out the video message below by various popular stars!

Hi anjjo, I really hope so, dear - that we could get some news about him from time to time. Thanks for sharing this video about Idols messages to him. I'm surprised there are still many coming out one by one, huh, which I still haven't watched yet. RAIN is such a lovable person. <_<:)

Korean pop star Rain reports for military service

photo_1318328990023-1-0.jpg

South Korean pop star Rain entered a boot camp Tuesday to begin mandatory military service, bidding farewell to weeping fans.

"Thank you for coming... I'll see you later," he said, beaming and bowing to about 1,000 people including journalists and fans outside the camp in the northern suburbs of Seoul.

Many fans, including hundreds from Japan, Taiwan, China and elsewhere in Asia, burst into tears when the singer disappeared into the camp, Yonhap news agency reported.

Rain, 29, whose real name is Jung Ji-Hoon, is one of the country's most popular male celebrities and helped spark the Korean Wave of pop culture in Asia and elsewhere.

The singer will undergo eight weeks of basic training before being posted elsewhere for the remainder of his 22 months' service. He staged a farewell concert in Seoul Sunday attended by 20,000 fans.

South Korea, which has remained technically at war with North Korea since their 1950-1953 conflict, requires all eligible men to serve in the military, although candidates can defer their service.

photo_1318328843237-1-0.jpg

Credit : http://ca.news.yahoo.com/korean-pop-star-rain-reports-military-103209982.html

Pop star Rain salutes fans as he enters South Korean army for 2 years of compulsory service

26471060.entertainment_108510561LJM115-1011_2011_131304_low_1.jpg

UIJEONGBU, South Korea - South Korean pop star Rain bid farewell to tearful fans as he put one of Asia's most successful entertainment careers on hold to enter boot camp and begin nearly two years of military service.

The 29-year-old singer and actor, his hair neatly cropped, gave a military salute to fans Tuesday before he disappeared into an army base in Uijeongbu north of Seoul ? more than 50 years after Elvis Presley was drafted in the U.S. army from the heights of stardom.

"Thank you for the 10 years of love," Rain told hundreds of gathered fans as tears welled in his eyes. Many of the fans were from Japan and China and held banners with messages meant to cheer him.

Rain is fulfilling his compulsory military service at a relatively late age and risks losing career momentum during the 21 months he spends out of the public eye. But he could otherwise face a backlash given South Korea's hostility toward draft dodgers.

Rain, whose real name is Jung Ji-hoon, is not expected to receive any special treatment in South Korea's 650,000-strong military. All able-bodied South Korean men are required to serve about two to three years, in a legacy of the 1950-53 Korean War.

Military service has agonized many young South Korean entertainers and athletes hoping to continue their successful careers. Athletes can be exempted from service if they win an Olympic gold medal or otherwise improve the country's image with major achievements. But entertainers ? no matter how successful they are abroad ? enjoy no such lenience from the government.

"Entertainers are thought to work for their own sakes. That's the difference," said Hwang Sang-min, a Yonsei University psychology professor and frequent commentator on popular entertainment.

Recent years have seen a series of draft-dodging scandals involving top stars.

Song Seung-heon, a Korean drama star hugely popular in Japan and other Asian countries, suffered a massive public backlash in 2004 over attempts to avoid the draft. He eventually went to the army and is now back on the path of success.

In the past, a two- or three-year hiatus often meant irrevocable damage to an entertainer's career in South Korea as the public moved on to new faces, but nowadays military service can actually enhance a star's image, Ha said.

Rain's musical career includes seven albums, and he has acted in several South Korean film. Time magazines named him one of the 100 most influential people in the world. He made his Hollywood film debut in "Speed Racer" in 2008.

Kim Hee-ra, a 21-year-old Sogang University student in Seoul, said she was sad to see Rain go but glad that he was fulfilling his duties.

Lee Jin-young, 22, fretted that Rain may not be as popular after a two-year publicity blackout. He also worried that Rain may find his service to be tougher because he is starting at a relatively old age. Many people serve in their early 20s.

___

Kim reported from Seoul, South Korea. Associated Press writer Jiyoung Won in Seoul also contributed to this report.

Credit : http://www.bellaliant.net/entertainment/articles_stories/?storyId=26471060

***I'm sure he'll be a good and strong soldier. Not surprised because RAIN always stands out among the crowd. I could see he's the only one standing straight. Besides, he dresses nicer than the others & he's so tall! So, it was easy to see him. Getting bullied or anything like that. this is too exaggerated. Wondering what his body is will look like after this military. Do well and be safe, RAIN! <_<:)

Rain shines amidst a crowd of fellow recruits

i013-1a_1.jpg

On October 13th, an online community board shared a photo of Rain from the time of his entrance to his training camp.

Rain, alongside his fellow soldiers, is seen listening to the rules and commands in front of a large athletic field before he and the crew enter their official training period. Despite being in a crowd of hundreds, fans were able to quickly spot out their favorite star thanks to his ‘shiny, handsome looks’ and exceptional proportions.

Netizens commented, “He’s in such a proper position, I can spot him easily”, “I can’t help but pay attention to his butt, hip up!”, and “Fighting, please do well!”

Rain will be training for the next five weeks as a new recruit before entering his 21 months of service as an active duty soldier.

Source + Photos: E-News 24 via Nate / allkpop