Jung Ji Hoon * 정지훈 * 鄭智薰 * (aka Rain/Bi / 비 / ピ) I [Upcoming Drama 2024] Red Swan

Nancyzak

Honestly, when looking at the 3 different pics of Rain and his body, I definitely prefer the 1st one.

Yes yes yes - look more "yielding" :lol:

By the writing of this reviewer, I guess she is a lady... I haven't seen the movie yet, but I couldn't agree with some stuff that she wrote ...M'ame, this movie is an action one...most of the hardcore action movies dont have a good plot... and he is a ninja who 's killing people....what did you expect from him???...you wanted him to be a cute or adorable ninja or something???

Totally agreed.

We all have read many good and bad reviews of NA but this is the first one that I find really funny.

The writer seems to know nothing about action movies or ninjas. As for me:

1) ninjas don`t talk much LOL;

2) have cold emotionless voice and expressionless face (as they don`t smile much either);

3) aren`t charming.

It`s like stating that Sense and Sensibility was a bad movie cause there was no passionate love between main characters. Hello! It`s Jane Austen!

If you want to see charming Rain you watch Full House for God`s sake...

Tyty/Kicia - B) kekekekkekeke - The writer expect to see a ninja that smiles a lot, then occasionally that ninja would

stuck out his tougue and do his cute childish face. He should be charming even though the only thing on his mind

is to kill...

:lol: .. May be that writer is so used to Jakie Chan movies?

I guess - the writer did not need to warn the fans not to expect the charming Rain - cause we knew (from all

the CAPs) that it's not gonna be another lovey dovey, mushy mushy love story where he can be all charming.

We knew he's a Ninja with revenge on his mind. He is emotionless (since you can't kill anyone if you have emotion :lol: )

We knew what to expect from such movie genre, we were already "pre-warned".

:sigh: They will always find something bad to say.

LBH was also cold and emotionless in GI Joe. He didn't talk much either ( I can count his line and almost memorised the

lines) and the movie was great. He was great. Same goes to snake eye - he didn't talk at all - and I still think he's was great

also.

Some of those box office movies did not really have good plot. I don't it expect either. I just gonna enjoy my baby to the

fullest... yeeehaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa... who cares what the critics think.

Here`s a brief translation:

Girl group ‘Girl Generation’ :

I’m looking forward to his half-naked body, but first of all, expectations are high for the outcome of his efforts.

Ahh.. True confession - I like them .... no need to beat around the bush.. B)

Guest angelordevil

[Nov-09-2009] Rain announced he participated in the Ninja Assassin shooting in a ‘do or die’ manner.

Rain’s (Jung Ji-hoon) first leading Hollywood movie ‘ Ninja Assassin’ Asia press conference reflected the international spotlight with press from around the world.

On the morning of the 9th, Ninja Assassin’s Asia press conference was held in Lotte Hotel, Seoul.

The coverage was heated with more than 40 presses from 7 Asian countries including Korea, Hong Kong, Singapore and Malaysia.

The press conference reflected the spotlight this movie is receiving with foreign journalists asking Rain how he felt and his episodes during the ‘Ninja Assassin’ shooting.

-Singer and actor Rain (Jung Ji-hoon) opened his mouth to tell episodes of Korea-related scenes in the movie ‘Ninja Assassin’. He said “the producers became so interested in the Korean culture that they studied the history themselves.”

He also indirectly announced his post-project. “It’s too early to say anything and there’s a lot of restrictions in the contract” he said. “But I think there will be a sequel if the response is good”.

-Here, to the question how he endured the difficulties during the shooting, he answered “I wanted to go back to Korea when times were hard. I wanted to hold concerts, shoot dramas and movies in Korea. I asked myself ‘why do I have to live like this’ for 8 months.”

Rain also, despite his busy schedule and difficult training, factors that made him stand again were the promises with his fans, pride, dissidents and his mother.

Rain said “the first was my promise with my fans.4 years ago I promised that I will work with the best team to produce a piece for the international market, and I wanted to keep that promise.”

Rain’s second motive was his pride. Rain responded “the staffs made fun of me. If I raised a 100kg dumbbell, they would say ‘you’ve no guts’, ‘we’re good at this’, ‘ I’ve taught Matt Damon and Brad Pitt but you’re the worst’ which stimulated me.”

The third reason was his dissidents and negative articles towards him. “I’ve scrapped every distorted articles and comments” says Rain. “Whenever I woke up I would read those and think that I’ll show them what I can do. I felt like it was my obligation to show actions than words, even if it were to fail.”

And his last, of course, was his mother. During the tight shooting schedule and training from 7 in the morning to 10 at night, he thought of his mother. “My mother woke up at 5 and worked all day, sleeping at 1~2 at dawn.

I thought of my family and my mother who worked like that for years for my brother and I” said Rain. “I thought that I was being lazy if I couldn’t endure this and motivated myself to go back to the beginning.”

He continued “At first, even the Americans saw 10% possibility of success in an Asian, but with the Wachowskis and Joel Silver beside me, people have started to show interest in me. When the Wachowski brothers proposed Ninja Assassin to me, I felt that I shouldn’t let go of this opportunity.”

Lastly, Rain commented “I could never be lazy for a moment because this situation right now is worthwhile. I will do my best until the top place in the Box Office.”

-Singer and actor Rain(Jung Ji-hoon) announced he participated in the shooting in a ‘do or die’ manner.

“(This is all) a happy moment ” he said. “I’ve really asserted my effort. I always say I do thing sin a do or die manner, but this time was for real.” Rain added “90% of the stunts were done by me. The wire action itself was more like balancing my body and I tried to make my body light. I burned all my body fat. That was the hardest part.”

To the question on how difficult the Hollywood system was, Rain replied “Hollywood system at first seemed huge and frightening, but it turned out to be comfortable. It was easier to work with because it provided that environment.

There were no difficulties with the staff. ” In this movie where he shifted from a support role to a leading role, Rain said that he focused on the expressions the director wanted, and the sensitive acts such as the movement of the eyebrow, instead of focusing on the lines.

By appearing in ‘Speed Racer’, Rain’s previous piece, Rain took his first step to the American market with his first leading Hollywood movie ‘Ninja Assassin ’.

In the film, Rain acts as Raizo, an orphan who gets picked up by the legendary secret organization, Ozunu, and trained as a secret weapon, but vows revenge after seeing his loved one being executed.

For this piece, Rain received intensive training. Rain is known to have received 5 hours of martial arts training, 1 hour long fitness program and 6 hours of reorganizing the body and physical abilities through programmed eating for 6 months.

In the movie, he unveils his ability to use weapons such as chains, dagger, double daggered sword, shuriken and so on.

‘Ninja Assassin’ was directed by James McTeigue from ‘V for Vendetta’ and produced by Joel Silver and the Wachowski brothers. It stars Naomie Harris, Ben Miles, Rick Yune, Sho Kosugi.

This movie will be released on November 26th all over the world. (by Korean time)

credit to Star news :

http://news.naver.com/main/read.nhn?...aid=0002006337

Joy news :

http://news.naver.com/main/read.nhn?...aid=0000167721

Osen news:

http://news.naver.com/main/read.nhn?...aid=0002063145

Sports Joseon :

http://news.naver.com/main/read.nhn?...aid=0002010806

Brief translation by rain bird@rain-eu

[Nov-09-2009] Rain announced he participated in the Ninja Assassin shooting in a ‘do or die’ manner.

Rain’s (Jung Ji-hoon) first leading Hollywood movie ‘ Ninja Assassin’ Asia press conference reflected the international spotlight with press from around the world.

On the morning of the 9th, Ninja Assassin’s Asia press conference was held in Lotte Hotel, Seoul.

The coverage was heated with more than 40 presses from 7 Asian countries including Korea, Hong Kong, Singapore and Malaysia.

The press conference reflected the spotlight this movie is receiving with foreign journalists asking Rain how he felt and his episodes during the ‘Ninja Assassin’ shooting.

-Singer and actor Rain (Jung Ji-hoon) opened his mouth to tell episodes of Korea-related scenes in the movie ‘Ninja Assassin’. He said “the producers became so interested in the Korean culture that they studied the history themselves.”

He also indirectly announced his post-project. “It’s too early to say anything and there’s a lot of restrictions in the contract” he said. “But I think there will be a sequel if the response is good”.

-Here, to the question how he endured the difficulties during the shooting, he answered “I wanted to go back to Korea when times were hard. I wanted to hold concerts, shoot dramas and movies in Korea. I asked myself ‘why do I have to live like this’ for 8 months.”

Rain also, despite his busy schedule and difficult training, factors that made him stand again were the promises with his fans, pride, dissidents and his mother.

Rain said “the first was my promise with my fans.4 years ago I promised that I will work with the best team to produce a piece for the international market, and I wanted to keep that promise.”

Rain’s second motive was his pride. Rain responded “the staffs made fun of me. If I raised a 100kg dumbbell, they would say ‘you’ve no guts’, ‘we’re good at this’, ‘ I’ve taught Matt Damon and Brad Pitt but you’re the worst’ which stimulated me.”

The third reason was his dissidents and negative articles towards him. “I’ve scrapped every distorted articles and comments” says Rain. “Whenever I woke up I would read those and think that I’ll show them what I can do. I felt like it was my obligation to show actions than words, even if it were to fail.”

And his last, of course, was his mother. During the tight shooting schedule and training from 7 in the morning to 10 at night, he thought of his mother. “My mother woke up at 5 and worked all day, sleeping at 1~2 at dawn.

I thought of my family and my mother who worked like that for years for my brother and I” said Rain. “I thought that I was being lazy if I couldn’t endure this and motivated myself to go back to the beginning.”

He continued “At first, even the Americans saw 10% possibility of success in an Asian, but with the Wachowskis and Joel Silver beside me, people have started to show interest in me. When the Wachowski brothers proposed Ninja Assassin to me, I felt that I shouldn’t let go of this opportunity.”

Lastly, Rain commented “I could never be lazy for a moment because this situation right now is worthwhile. I will do my best until the top place in the Box Office.”

-Singer and actor Rain(Jung Ji-hoon) announced he participated in the shooting in a ‘do or die’ manner.

“(This is all) a happy moment ” he said. “I’ve really asserted my effort. I always say I do thing sin a do or die manner, but this time was for real.” Rain added “90% of the stunts were done by me. The wire action itself was more like balancing my body and I tried to make my body light. I burned all my body fat. That was the hardest part.”

To the question on how difficult the Hollywood system was, Rain replied “Hollywood system at first seemed huge and frightening, but it turned out to be comfortable. It was easier to work with because it provided that environment.

There were no difficulties with the staff. ” In this movie where he shifted from a support role to a leading role, Rain said that he focused on the expressions the director wanted, and the sensitive acts such as the movement of the eyebrow, instead of focusing on the lines.

By appearing in ‘Speed Racer’, Rain’s previous piece, Rain took his first step to the American market with his first leading Hollywood movie ‘Ninja Assassin ’.

In the film, Rain acts as Raizo, an orphan who gets picked up by the legendary secret organization, Ozunu, and trained as a secret weapon, but vows revenge after seeing his loved one being executed.

For this piece, Rain received intensive training. Rain is known to have received 5 hours of martial arts training, 1 hour long fitness program and 6 hours of reorganizing the body and physical abilities through programmed eating for 6 months.

In the movie, he unveils his ability to use weapons such as chains, dagger, double daggered sword, shuriken and so on.

‘Ninja Assassin’ was directed by James McTeigue from ‘V for Vendetta’ and produced by Joel Silver and the Wachowski brothers. It stars Naomie Harris, Ben Miles, Rick Yune, Sho Kosugi.

This movie will be released on November 26th all over the world. (by Korean time)

credit to Star news :

http://news.naver.com/main/read.nhn?...aid=0002006337

Joy news :

http://news.naver.com/main/read.nhn?...aid=0000167721

Osen news:

http://news.naver.com/main/read.nhn?...aid=0002063145

Sports Joseon :

http://news.naver.com/main/read.nhn?...aid=0002010806

Brief translation by rain bird@rain-eu

Thu, thanks for sharing again. I knew how much he put into for this movie - I pray & hope that it won't fail him. This film is much different from SR - He's the main character here, he'll be carrying the movie till the end. I hope for a box-office for the movie, for RAIN! :huh:<_<

^ Willinette - I have very high hope (despite the fact that Newmoon is also premiering almost at the same time).

It will be a box office.

I love reading the article on how they chosed him. How fast he learned the moves and all. I guess part of the

reason could be that he is ssssssssssssssooooo good in dancing and it is easier for him to pick up the moves.

He has flexible body and had been trained to do the choreograph for years. You can feel the vibe when he really

concentrate on stage. Watching him dance was just mind blowing. I'm expecting the same with NA. Somehow

seing him "killing" would the same as watching him dancng ^_^.....

We get to see a lot of him and I am sure it will different from Speed Racer.

I can't hardly wait... I am so excited.. :)

willenette dear, included me .. i'll watch his movie too :P

here's one more article from Yonhap News :)

------------------

2009/11/09

S. Korean heartthrob says becoming 'ninja' hard but worth it

SEOUL, Nov. 9 (Yonhap) -- After nearly eight months of a "near hell experience" to become the deadly "Ninja Assassin," 27-year-old South Korean heartthrob Rain said his performance in the Hollywood blockbuster would not only affect his own future in tinseltown, but that of fellow Asian and Korean actors as well.

"I thought of returning home every day and constantly asked myself if I really had to go through with this," the South Korean actor said during a Seoul press conference Monday. "But it was a promise I made to myself and my fans. I knew my success would open new opportunities in the U.S. not only for me, but also for my Asian and Korean colleagues."

20091109150205_bodyfile.jpg

"Ninja Assassin," a Hollywood-produced Asian martial arts movie, has drawn high expectations from local movie fans since the news broke that Rain, the South Korean pop sensation and rising actor, would play the lead character.

Produced by Joel Silver and the Wachowski brothers, and directed by James McTeigue of "V for Vendetta (2005)," rumors said the film was shaping up as one of the largest Hollywood blockbuster smashes of the year. Distributed by Warner Bros. Pictures, the movie will hit South Korean theaters Nov. 26, a day after its United States and Canada release.

Playing Raizo, who seeks revenge against the merciless Ozunu Clan, a secrete society of ninjas that raised him to become one of the world's deadliest assassins, Rain trained six hours a day, seven days a week for eight months in the United States.

The actor said his American training team pushed him further each day by attempting to "hurt his pride."

"They would compare me to top stars like Matt Damon and Brad Pitt, calling me the worst student among them. This made me try harder," he said.

Rain's efforts are borne out in his performance as Raizo, flying across the screen wielding katanas and chained-daggers to create breathtaking action scenes that take up most of the film's 98-minute running time.

The Wachowskis, who directed the global hit "Matrix" series, cast Rain in the lead role, impressed by his performance in their 2008 film "Speed Racer."

Despite that film's mediocre box office showing, Rain says his Hollywood debut helped "paved his way" into the U.S. movie industry.

"It is rare to succeed on the first try. My appearance in the film led me to some of the best staff and filmmakers in the United States," he said. "With imagination and the ability to realize their ideas on-screen, the Wachowskis are the best filmmakers I have ever worked with."

Rain, the singer's stage name, revealed his real name, Jung Ji-hoon, to South Korean fans with his 2003 acting debut to show that he takes acting as seriously as singing.

His first film, "I'm a Cyborg, But That's OK," directed by Park Chan-wook, won him the Alfred Bauer Prize at the Berlin Film Festival in 2007, proving the young star's versatile potential.

The actor said the release of "Ninja Assassin" felt like the "beginning of a new stage" in his life.

"After filming the movie, I thought to myself: 'this is only the beginning,'" he said. "I cannot afford to be lazy as I've been presented with a new and critical opportunity. I will continue doing my best."

Credits : Shin Hae-in (hayney@yna.co.kr)

Source : Yonhap News

Guest tyty6_7

Thanks all of hard working Biers here for the fastest news, clips, etc...

Relief: 'Man, I thought you were gonna ask me what

colour underwear ninjas wear.'

Hehehe.. It's really a crude and funny question... but maybe black.....LoL

Tyty/Kicia - B) kekekekkekeke - The writer expect to see a ninja that smiles a lot, then occasionally that ninja would

stuck out his tougue and do his cute childish face. He should be charming even though the only thing on his mind

is to kill...

Some of those box office movies did not really have good plot. I don't it expect either. I just gonna enjoy my baby to the

fullest... yeeehaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa... who cares what the critics think.

LOL...Perhaps she expected to see him showing his cute expressions for his winning after every killing affair like a mental ninja....

Really we can not trust the critics or media because some of them also have wierd tastes (like that lady writer) and lack knowledge of the characters...

Like some complained that the actions were so dark... hello!ninjas are working in the dark...maybe they wanted the assassins go in the morning or afternoon to the public to kill the people.....hehehehe

And some wanted a tons of real excellent actions with a very good plot at the same time... Sirs, this is the entertaining action movie not for the Oscar. That's why people separate kinds of movie such as actions, romantic, comedy...

I know some of them were really random, but their reviews still affect the hypes of the crowd which made me hurt...

:lol: .. May be that writer is so used to Jakie Chan movies?

Jackie Chan??...Ehh, I know many people will beat me but I really dont like his movies...and I dont want to see my Rain have some kind of comedy action projects like his...

:sigh: They will always find something bad to say.

LBH was also cold and emotionless in GI Joe. He didn't talk much either ( I can count his line and almost memorised the

lines) and the movie was great. He was great. Same goes to snake eye - he didn't talk at all - and I still think he's was great

also.

I like LBH's acting skill... But I haven't seen his Storm Shadow yet...anyways , I heard most of the people praised his action scenes a lot but I wonder if anybody complained about his less talking like our Bi or not??

Guest tyty6_7

Those today press conference articles make me love him more and more...:-)...

I love reading the article on how they chosed him. How fast he learned the moves and all. I guess part of the

reason could be that he is ssssssssssssssooooo good in dancing and it is easier for him to pick up the moves.

He has flexible body and had been trained to do the choreograph for years.

I can't hardly wait... I am so excited.. :)

I think beside his good dancing, there are many other things such as his longing and thirst of working in a US movie... his trying his best...his pride ...his smart... a full package which made him stand out and adapt the moves very well...

Because I just cant imagine it would work well if replacing him by Justine Timberlake who is also good at dancing.....

That's why I love their saying" There 's no way to make this movie without Rain"...like our Bi is irreplaceable...hehehehe

I dont want to put the high hope for a box office which I wish... But I really hope this movie can give him more doors to the US film industry... hope more big producers will recognize him (not just only the sibling producers and Joe Silver)...

Thanks all of hard working Biers here for the fastest news, clips, etc...

LOL...Perhaps she expected to see him showing his cute expressions for his winning after every killing affair like a mental ninja....

:lol: Or sing Gumsemare song after (the american accent version) after every kill.. haha..

Like some complained that the actions were so dark... hello!ninjas are working in the dark...maybe they wanted the assassins go in the morning or afternoon to the public to kill the people.....hehehehe

Kekekek Or what they meant was they can't see him at all??? If this is the case then I have to agree with them. How to

enjoy the movie if you can't see anything :lol: . Anyway by looking at the caps and the add - I still could see his glistening body.. or could be I am already "Rain Tune" so I can see him even in the dark..

And some wanted a tons of real excellent actions with a very good plot at the same time... Sirs, this is the entertaining action movie not for the Oscar. That's why people separate kinds of movie such as actions, romantic, comedy...

I know some of them were really random, but their reviews still affect the hypes of the crowd which made me hurt...

Ya I know what you mean, some ppl relly on reviews and start spreading the "I heard it was not a good movie" around.

Jackie Chan??...Ehh, I know many people will beat me but I really dont like his movies...and I dont want to see my Rain have some kind of comedy action projects like his...

:o and all this while I tot I am the only Asian that doesn't really like his movies. Comedy project? like the Jim Carey movie

or something???? NOOOOOOoooooo Nenonenooo ne NOOO...

But he's a dork and comedy would suit him.. :lol:

I like LBH's acting skill... But I haven't seen his Storm Shadow yet...anyways , I heard most of the people praised his action scenes a lot but I wonder if anybody complained about his less talking like our Bi or not??

I didn't really read any review on his acting so can't say much. Could be that they were less "cruel" to him.

I don't know why I feel that most media was always cruel to Rain (compare to other Asian artist). I don't know why is that

so. I always think that the media always give negative report (not all though) about him esp after TIME 100 list as if waiting

for him to fail and they will gloat.

Poor Rain.

'Ninja Assassin' misses the target

khphoto_4.jpg

Humorless, preposterous, and soaked in blood, "Ninja Assassin" turns out to be thinly-plotted schlock from a team of pedigree filmmakers who should have known better.

"The day Rain did his first scene in 'Speed Racer,' the Wachowski brothers called me and said 'This guy is unbelievable. He's a natural, our dream come true.' We began to plan 'Ninja Assassin' immediately afterward," producer Joel Silver said in an earlier interview.

Unfortunately for "world star" Rain, what was to be his breakout film falls way short of what "Enter the Dragon" was for Bruce Lee. No doubt, that was what the Wachowski Brothers were aiming to do by gambling on someone who was a relative unknown in the Western world.

Rain plays Raizo, one of the world's deadliest assassins trained by the Ozunu Clan -- an underground band of killers that has remained hidden for generations by posing as a mythical organization.

Robbed of his childhood, Raizo is transformed into a merciless Katana-wielding killing machine. Breaking free from their mountain lair, he plans to exact revenge on the clan for killing his first love.

In his quest for revenge, he gets help from a Europol agent Mika Coretti -- played by Naomi Harris -- who stumbles upon a money trail connecting a slew of high profile political assassinations around the world committed by the Ozunu.

As she begins to uncover the truth behind the murders, she too, becomes their target and is saved by Raizo when assassins emerge to kill her in Berlin.

By now, plots like these have become the silver screen version of painting-by-numbers in the same manner as Tom Clancy inspired techno-thriller novels.

But the plot does have all of the makings of a straightforward pulp action thriller, as its opening set-piece suggests it would be. In it Raizo ambushes a gang of Yakuza members, with heads and limbs severed and buckets of blood everywhere.

The level of over-the-top ultra-violence established through this opener is unfortunately juxtaposed with a serious tone devoid of much irony.

The film is not a nod to pulpy B-grade kung-fu genre of the 70s, nor is it a polished action flick geared towards a mainstream audience. Instead it's stuck in the middle ground, in an area unlikely to appeal to fans of either genre.

When production on the film was announced, anticipation was high, as it was written and being produced by the makers of The Matrix trilogy, with directing duties falling on James McTiegue, the veteran director who scored both a critical hit and modest box office success with 2005's V for Vendetta.

But it seems somewhere down the line the creative vision of the producers and the director clashed, without either camp realizing.

Perhaps they realized during post-production they had a potential turkey on their hands -- the film's marketing has focused on Rain and the physical transformation he underwent during six months of grueling training with the stunt and fight team that trained the actors in the film, "300."

And the result is there on the screen. The 28-year-old actor is shown sans shirt as if he's allergic to fabric except for a leather jacket.

He's ripped. His female fans will love him -- as long as they don't get too squeamish from seeing all the blood.

He does a decent job with the few lines he has throughout the 98-minute running time.

The verdict is still out on whether this will be his breakthrough role and it will be interesting to see if his star power alone will be able to generate enough revenue in Asia to warrant future high-profile roles.

Credits : Song Woong-ki (kws@heraldm.com)

Source : The Korea Herald

Those today press conference articles make me love him more and more...:-)...

I think beside his good dancing, there are many other things such as his longing and thirst of working in a US movie... his trying his best...his pride ...his smart... a full package which made him stand out and adapt the moves very well...

Because I just cant imagine it would work well if replacing him by Justine Timberlake who is also good at dancing.....

That's why I love their saying" There 's no way to make this movie without Rain"...like our Bi is irreplaceable...hehehehe

I dont want to put the high hope for a box office which I wish... But I really hope this movie can give him more doors to the US film industry... hope more big producers will recognize him (not just only the sibling producers and Joe Silver)...

Sorry (I like Justin),

But Justin doesn't have long hands and long fingers like Uri Bi ^_^

Bi has the advantage of being an Asian, so being a Ninja definitely suits him (which we have projected the image in our mind

and associates Ninja with Asian features). Like when I see Storm Shadow and Snake eye (younger version), no matter how

good snake eye - I still think Storm Shadow is better. I think this has got to do with Storm Shadow being an Asian (good in

term of martial arts and nothing to do with acting and please do not think I am racist. I am just stating the my opinion on why

I think Justin (as a Ninja) cannot be compare to Rain). BTW - I think Justin "look" heavy and A Ninja should look "light"/"weightless" and sometime Bi looks "weightless" when dancing...

willenette dear, included me .. i'll watch his movie too :P

here's one more article from Yonhap News :)

------------------

2009/11/09

S. Korean heartthrob says becoming 'ninja' hard but worth it

SEOUL, Nov. 9 (Yonhap) -- After nearly eight months of a "near hell experience" to become the deadly "Ninja Assassin," 27-year-old South Korean heartthrob Rain said his performance in the Hollywood blockbuster would not only affect his own future in tinseltown, but that of fellow Asian and Korean actors as well.

"I thought of returning home every day and constantly asked myself if I really had to go through with this," the South Korean actor said during a Seoul press conference Monday. "But it was a promise I made to myself and my fans. I knew my success would open new opportunities in the U.S. not only for me, but also for my Asian and Korean colleagues."

http://img.yonhapnews.co.kr/Basic/Article/...05_bodyfile.jpg

"Ninja Assassin," a Hollywood-produced Asian martial arts movie, has drawn high expectations from local movie fans since the news broke that Rain, the South Korean pop sensation and rising actor, would play the lead character.

Produced by Joel Silver and the Wachowski brothers, and directed by James McTeigue of "V for Vendetta (2005)," rumors said the film was shaping up as one of the largest Hollywood blockbuster smashes of the year. Distributed by Warner Bros. Pictures, the movie will hit South Korean theaters Nov. 26, a day after its United States and Canada release.

Playing Raizo, who seeks revenge against the merciless Ozunu Clan, a secrete society of ninjas that raised him to become one of the world's deadliest assassins, Rain trained six hours a day, seven days a week for eight months in the United States.

The actor said his American training team pushed him further each day by attempting to "hurt his pride."

"They would compare me to top stars like Matt Damon and Brad Pitt, calling me the worst student among them. This made me try harder," he said.

Rain's efforts are borne out in his performance as Raizo, flying across the screen wielding katanas and chained-daggers to create breathtaking action scenes that take up most of the film's 98-minute running time.

The Wachowskis, who directed the global hit "Matrix" series, cast Rain in the lead role, impressed by his performance in their 2008 film "Speed Racer."

Despite that film's mediocre box office showing, Rain says his Hollywood debut helped "paved his way" into the U.S. movie industry.

"It is rare to succeed on the first try. My appearance in the film led me to some of the best staff and filmmakers in the United States," he said. "With imagination and the ability to realize their ideas on-screen, the Wachowskis are the best filmmakers I have ever worked with."

Rain, the singer's stage name, revealed his real name, Jung Ji-hoon, to South Korean fans with his 2003 acting debut to show that he takes acting as seriously as singing.

His first film, "I'm a Cyborg, But That's OK," directed by Park Chan-wook, won him the Alfred Bauer Prize at the Berlin Film Festival in 2007, proving the young star's versatile potential.

The actor said the release of "Ninja Assassin" felt like the "beginning of a new stage" in his life.

"After filming the movie, I thought to myself: 'this is only the beginning,'" he said. "I cannot afford to be lazy as I've been presented with a new and critical opportunity. I will continue doing my best."

Credits : Shin Hae-in (hayney@yna.co.kr)

Source : Yonhap News

deka dear, thanks for always sharing some news here. Also, thanks for always supporting him though I'm sure he's not your no.1 after all. hehehe - Wondering if this will be his 1st movie that you're going to watch? :lol::mellow:

'Ninja Assassin' misses the target

The Korea Herald

deka, thanks again. So many news & reviews are coming in one by one now - There were good & bad reviews as well but all the same this won't make me stop watching the movie. Whatever RAIN is into, I'm for it - GO! The verdict is coming out soon. Whatever will be the outcome his star power won't be diminished. :lol::mellow:

Relief: 'Man, I thought you were gonna ask me what

colour underwear ninjas wear.'

Hehehe.. It's really a crude and funny question... but maybe black.....LoL

^_^, I know that he has black and white underwear - John Galiano - Paper print underwear

B) Speed....

isk isk isk isk - What kind of girl talks about a man's underwear.. isk isk isk

Guest tyty6_7

Kekekek Or what they meant was they can't see him at all??? If this is the case then I have to agree with them. How to

enjoy the movie if you can't see anything :lol: . Anyway by looking at the caps and the add - I still could see his glistening body.. or could be I am already "Rain Tune" so I can see him even in the dark..

I think the darkness is like what we saw in some scenes of the trailers or TV spots... so I guess we can still see his naked body and his killing skill...

For me, If it was too dark, I still could see his hot body because he is the only one shirtless (brightest ) compared to other with black outfits and masks....hehehe...he will stand out to me for sure...

I don't know why I feel that most media was always cruel to Rain (compare to other Asian artist). I don't know why is that

so. I always think that the media always give negative report (not all though) about him esp after TIME 100 list as if waiting

for him to fail and they will gloat.

Poor Rain.

Sometimes I really dont know some Korean...they dont even have any kind of proud feeling about him for their country... even worst, they are just waiting to have the chance to stab him....

But until now , unfortunately for them, the more they pull him down, the more he succeeds...I hope this time will not be an exception...

Bi has the advantage of being an Asian, so being a Ninja definitely suits him (which we have projected the image in our mind

and associates Ninja with Asian features). Like when I see Storm Shadow and Snake eye (younger version), no matter how

good snake eye - I still think Storm Shadow is better. I think this has got to do with Storm Shadow being an Asian (good in

term of martial arts and nothing to do with acting and please do not think I am racist. I am just stating the my opinion on why

I think Justin (as a Ninja) cannot be compare to Rain). BTW - I think Justin "look" heavy and A Ninja should look "light"/"weightless" and sometime Bi looks "weightless" when dancing...

I couln't agree with you more....

the white ninja is really not flexible in term of martial art and climbing as compared to the asian one...

------------------------------

Rain talks about starring in 'Ninja Assassin'

Hundreds of reporters from all over Asia converged in Seoul to get a chance to speak to rising international star Rain about starring in his new film -- the hotly anticipated "Ninja Assassin" -- yesterday.

"The (Wachowski) brothers told me to 'forget about Rain the pop-star because from now on, you're a killer and a fighter,'" the popular singer-cum-actor said during a press conference at the Lotte Hotel in downtown central Seoul.

"And for eight months (during the production), I lived day to day thinking I was exactly that ... I think through this film I'll gain a lot of male fans in the future," he joked.

Known as an object of desire for women from all over Asia, the film is ultraviolent, full of killing and mayhem that may not be for the eyes and ears of his female fans.

"This isn't a film that should be seen by young girls ... even though some might find ways to see it," he said.

"When I saw the finished film, I was very satisfied that I could not recognize myself on screen -- the guy on screen was very different from the real life Jung Ji-hoon."

Seemingly aware of the legions of fans he has amassed throughout his career as a clean-cut pop idol, the 28-year-old Korean heartthrob showed up clad in a smart double-breasted suit sans the long flowing locks looking less like the cold blooded killer in the film.

In order to make the transformation into a deadly, Katana-brandishing assassin, Rain underwent a six month training regimen concocted by the stunt and fight team that whipped the actors in 2007's blockbuster, "300" into shape.

"I trained as if my life was hanging by a thread," Rain said.

"Over 90 percent of the stunts in the film I did myself. It was intimidating at first but after I got the hang of it, it all became very easy for me."

As for struggles with having to overcome a language barrier, he said, "The brothers told me not to think too much about speaking the dialogue."

"They requested that I focus entirely on communicating through expressions, mannerisms, and even the movement of my eyes. I also had a speech coach with me at all times so that helped as well."

After appearing in the Wachowski Brother's 2008 box office dud "Speed Racer," Rain had impressed them so much they created the film specifically for the pop-star.

"The Wachowski Brothers are full of imagination and ideas and they are the type of brilliant people who can take what they imagine and transport it onto the movie screen. I have immense respect for them," he said.

"I hope the film does well and I hope a lot of people go watch it because it would be a lie if I said I didn't have expectations for this film. This film has to succeed in order for other Asian actors to get chances in Hollywood in the future and regardless of how well it does, this has been a challenge that's also been an educational experience."

So are there any similarities between Raizo -- the name of Rain's title character -- and Rain, the pop-star?

"There shouldn't be any similarities," he joked noting the high body count that piles up in the film.

"I'm not an introvert like Raizo and I'm very social unlike him. I wouldn't be able to live in solitude."

The film hits Korean cinemas nationwide on Nov. 26.

Credits : Song Woong-ki (kws@heraldm.com)

Source : The Korea Herald

Guest tyty6_7

deka, thanks again. So many news & reviews are coming in one by one now - There were good & bad reviews as well but all the same this won't make me stop watching the movie. Whatever RAIN is into, I'm for it - GO! The verdict is coming out soon. Whatever will be the outcome his star power won't be diminished. :lol::mellow:

whatever it will be, he will have a way to recover his star power...hehehe... the time he canceled his concerts in the US and Canada and got stuck in some courts, I had a doubt on his star power... But he prove me wrong...he even stood up more strongly than before....

deka dear, thanks for always sharing some news here. Also, thanks for always supporting him though I'm sure he's not your no.1 after all. hehehe - Wondering if this will be his 1st movie that you're going to watch? :lol::mellow:

ur welcome willenette ... you know me well huh ? hehe .. nope dear .. it'll be his second movie :lol:

Guest tyty6_7

^_^, I know that he has black and white underwear - John Galiano - Paper print underwear

B) Speed....

isk isk isk isk - What kind of girl talks about a man's underwear.. isk isk isk

hahahha...Bam, we are so naughty...

Willenette, From the day I know him, I became that naughty already....He is the one who should be blamed for that....heheheh...