[Drama 2009] Boys Over Flowers / Hana Yori Dango 꽃보다 남자

Rebby

Guest MiyuKanata09

acting wise..i think this version has proven that this is a live version of the manga..

most of people says that GHS's acting is exaggerated but when you read the manga you surely says that she's doing a good in portraying her character."Makino" in manga is also exaggerated.Makino is always been like that...

i think most of us are just used to other version's acting so some couple of post i've seen is basing their criticism on acting of the other version's actor/actress.

Screen Name are you sure sbout the pumpkin thing? because i've seen 3 subbers and they didn't sub it like what you've said..its not even close to their translation...

veoh translator- GJP: even an ugly duckling becomes dove

youtube (min)- GJP: even an ugly duckling can became a white duckling

vikii- GJP: the ugly duckling can transform into an egret

then Jandi says isn't it a swan?!...

now i'm confused which one is true..but i think the three translator's translation are not far from each other..

i'm just saying you might be wrong...sorry if i offended you in some way..

Guest SSHsaranghae

every version is unique, the taiwanese love their version it exploded in having the manga extended because of the drama right? and the japanese version is in itself an iconic drama. the korean version will make it's name in history too, I'm willing to give it a chance

acting wise..i think this version has proven that this is a live version of the manga..

most of people says that GHS's acting is exaggerated but when you read the manga you surely says that she's doing a good in portraying her character."Makino" in manga is also exaggerated.Makino is always been like that...

i think most of us are just used to other version's acting so some couple of post i've seen is basing their criticism on acting of the other version's actor/actress.

Guest ajewell

I'm LOVING this series, and anxiously awaiting more episodes!! ^_^

I'm especially enjoying Lee Min Ho's version of Goo Joon Pyo so far. I've seen all the different versions of Domyouji in HYD, and he's the first one that I felt really embodied the character on all fronts--acting and looks. (haha, it seems like with Matsumoto Jun I got the acting, and with Jerry, I got the looks. Though I loved both versions all the same).

I wonder what scene these pics are referring to...

I hope it's the one from the manga where the bullying resumes when they think Makino's cheating on Domyouji with that model/hired(?) guy. Soon after, they drag her behind a car or motorcycle(?) until Domyouji comes and saves her. (In MG, they changed it so that it was Makino's scooter being pulled instead, yet in that second pic, it looks like Jan-Di may be the one being dragged, especially if that contraption is any indication).

It seems like that would be hard to film though, so it could be something else entirely. But guessing is fun too! ^_^

Guest Screen Name

i'm pret-ty sure Javabeans of dramabeans.com is korean (korean -american?) though. Correct me if I'm wrong. I'm not korean but I think in this case the word 'before' in english is also used as a comparison. As in putting something before another thing in preferences.

In any case this shouldn't be an issue at all. I'm sure koreans translate some english movie titles into korean in a not-so-exact way too sometimes. It's 2 different languages, sometimes things get lost in translation :)

It can't be "Before", because the title is saying that she never did like the flowers before in her life. Meaning she's into a man. Yes, it would be "Before" if she did like flowers before she liked a man. But this title is talking about her choice of taking a man "Over" a flower, which makes it, "Boys Over Flowers." Understand? Thank you very much. Have a good one!

Screen Name are you sure sbout the pumpkin thing? because i've seen 3 subbers and they didn't sub it like what you've said..its not even close to their translation...
Yeah, I'm sure. I'm talking about the 3rd episode preview part. Not during the 1st and 2nd episode.

Guest misshakissh

i'm pret-ty sure Javabeans of dramabeans.com is korean (korean -american?) though. Correct me if I'm wrong. I'm not korean but I think in this case the word 'before' in english is also used as a comparison. As in putting something before another thing in preferences.

In any case this shouldn't be an issue at all. I'm sure koreans translate some english movie titles into korean in a not-so-exact way too sometimes. It's 2 different languages, sometimes things get lost in translation :)

its OVER.. i think.. because boys before?? flowers.. that doesnt even make sense.. she chose a BOY over choosing a flower.. yeah that makes sense.. but before.. it just sounds weird to say before flowers.. awkward.. anyway.. eithe way whatever. theres no point in having five hundred different ways of saying the title of this series anyway. .lol

Guest sharry

I was wondering if anyone here wanted the 1280x720 HQ episode? i have the two episodes and i could upload them to MU (sorry that's the only one i can work) Its 1.4 gig per episode.

Guest Screen Name
its OVER.. i think.. because boys before?? flowers.. that doesnt even make sense.. she chose a BOY over choosing a flower.. yeah that makes sense.. but before.. it just sounds weird to say before flowers.. awkward.. anyway.. eithe way whatever. theres no point in having five hundred different ways of saying the title of this series anyway. .lol
The main reason I'm saying that it's definitely "Over" is... If it is, "Boys Before Flowers" as the title. It can switch off to, "Flowers After Boys". Which doesn't make any sense, so it's most definitely, "Boys Over Flowers" since you cannot say, "Flowers Under Boys". Title has to attract viewers. They wouldn't add, "Before" to attract viewers. That would be sad.

Guest SSHsaranghae

but it's so cute how you girls try to out-define each other over the title :lol:

The main reason I'm saying that it's definitely "Over" is... If it is, "Boys Before Flowers" as the title. It can switch off to, "Flowers After Boys". Which doesn't make any sense, so it's most definitely, "Boys Over Flowers" since you cannot say, "Flowers Under Boys". Title has to attract viewers. They wouldn't add, "Before" to attract viewers. That would be sad.

Guest Screen Name
but it's so cute how you girls try to out-define each other over the title :lol:
I'm not a girl. Thanks, you better watch it.

Guest KiBUm_Love

I was wondering if anyone here wanted the 1280x720 HQ episode? i have the two episodes and i could upload them to MU (sorry that's the only one i can work) Its 1.4 gig per episode.

OMG i want them!! please upload them! or at least tell me where to get it :] hehe

Guest manderley_angel

It can't be "Before", because the title is saying that she never did like the flowers before in her life. Meaning she's into a man. Yes, it would be "Before" if she did like flowers before she liked a man. But this title is talking about her choice of taking a man "Over" a flower, which makes it, "Boys Over Flowers." Understand? Thank you very much. Have a good one!

Yeah, I'm sure. I'm talking about the 3rd episode preview part. Not during the 1st and 2nd episode.

Dramabeans pretty much explained it... the title can be understood/interpreted in different ways, which is the same with original Japanese title. I'm just gonna summarize what she wrote, since I quoted her before in a previous post.

Boys Over Flowers - choosing a boy (or love) over flowers (or something superficial)

Boys Before Flowers - they are boys before "flowers", in reference to the four main male characters being called F4 or Flower Four. -OR-

Boys Before Flowers - a girl choosing a boy (or the boy's affections) before choosing some flowers (or a material gift etc) / choosing a boy's affections rather than choosing the flowers he's giving you.

I'm not Korean, and I only understand some words here and there... but my point was the title could have a literal meaning (like how you explained kkotboda namja) or a figurative meaning... so both titles can be applied.

Not being over-analytical here, and neither am I trying to argue over the title... Just pointing it out, since the original japanese title also had both types of meanings. :sweatingbullets:

Guest MiyuKanata09

i think we misuderstood everything..haha sorry about that..anyway as you see sharry is actually taking about the episode 2 after she had her make over but you reply a translation which you actually taking about is the episode 3 preview.. so she edit her post..well i think we misunderstood you or i say you misunderstood her..coz in episode 3 preview she didn't say "isn't it swan?" so i'm curious were did you get the idea of her talking about the episode 3?..oh man..sorry about me being talkative..

Guest Screen Name

Junpyo :even an ugly duck can become a pretty duck

jandi: isnt it a swan? Ep 2 at the makeover

Second Episode...

Junpyo: Aren't you surprised too? Placing money on an ugly duckling can turn into an Egretta alba modesta (백로과의 새)?

Jandi: Wasn't it a Swan?

I find it funny in English, but this is the exact translation to it.

It's always better and shorter in Korean.

Guest pallycute

OMG i want them!! please upload them! or at least tell me where to get it :] hehe

yes I want them too,.. I didn't have any problem with megaupload :)

I think I've watched the first two episodes at least 4 times already. XD

Watched it by myself once, and then a bunch of times with friends and family. lol!

I'm really enjoying it so far, but I definitely liked episode 2 a lot more than episode 1.

Also this is the first time I actually like Tsukasa, usually Rui is my favorite.

Lee MinHo is doing a wonderful interpretation <3

I still love Kim HyunJoong though; I think he's doing a decent job.

I don't really know what to think about the OST...

But I do love SS501's song!

For me, this show is the only thing to look forward to on Mondays!

Junpyo actually said, "How does a pumpkin turn into a watermelon, if you just draw lines on a pumpkin?"

I cracked up when he said this!!! I think this is my favorite quote so far! XD

Boys Before/Over Flowers means that the boys are more gorgeous than the flowers. Yeah, it can be lame...but overall, the title's cute.

Guest baileimei

To those who have a Facebook account and are interested... I have a huge favor to ask. :sweatingbullets:

I made a Boys before Flowers fan page (in Facebook) and (is promoting the page) asking for support. The page is currently a work in progress.

Please feel free to add photos, comments, videos, notes and etc. If you'd like to become page admins kindly PM me through SOOMPI.

The page is Kdrama 2009: Boys over Flowers | 꽃보다 남자 (Kkot-bo-da Nam-ja).

Thanks a many and much. A nice weekend to everyone.

Guest serenity143

im liking this afta wotchin ep 2.. hehehehehe

i like lee min ho more then kim hyun joong XD

lee min ho juz nailed it in ep 2... LOL