[Drama 2009] Boys Over Flowers / Hana Yori Dango 꽃보다 남자

Rebby

Guest xvampireknight

i noticed that in the taiwanese version, the main actress has a guy who always stood beside her and stuff (more of like a friend-stalker). he also attended the same school, but aren't as rich as the F4's of course, but I havn't seen his appearance in this version yet. is he an extra included by the scriptwriter or did the korean version excluded him. just curious

Yeah, I agree. I think for the taiwanese version, he's just an extra. He was actually one of my favorite character besides the F4 because he's so cute (like a kid) and funny, but I also felt sorry that Shancai didnt see him crushing on her. It was adorable. However, the Japanese version, they did a great job without having a character like that, so I wouldn't mind if this version had it or not.

And someone mentioned about the guy who was jumping off the roof, yes, I did find him attractive, haha. In some way, Jandi (the actress) reminds me of Hilary Duff and this other asian actress who looks like Hilary Duff. I really like her in the drama, she fits perfectly. And those who say she overreacts, that's how Makino is supposed to be. So bravo to her! ^__^

Guest I_broke_a_nail!

1) Whoo* when is the Ji Hoo and Jandi kiss coming up?

4th episode I presume?

2) *** Okay this is going to be very strange... but the beginning 5-10 seconds of "Paradise" by T-max sounds like the Inuyasha opening theme song "I Want To Change the World". Does anyone else hear that... if you know what I mean? *** Oh, and I just found out that T-max plays Akira's character in this drama. LOL. I'm so slow...

3) And I'm just going to say this again -- Jandi was SO gorgeous when she had the hair extensions and she places it in a side ponytail and wore here school girl's outfit with heels. I love Jandi regardless of the looks now, but I'm just saying... damn, very gorgeous with that look. It totally beats the appearance she made after Seo Hyun fixed her up after the Wonder Woman costume.

Things that bugged:

1. Hyun Joong as Rui (way too much makeup!). For the first time, I didn't fall in love w/ Rui's character.

2. F4's chemistry. This is a biggie. I don't sense the strong friendship among the F4 that was well portrayed in the other versions even if it's just the first 2 episodes. There's no chemistry between them especially in scenes w/ all 4 of them together.

3. Crappy OST. I'm surprised, since the OST for Sassy Girl Chun-hyang and My Girl were so good.

1. Aw, well that's your opinion. IMO- there's a balance. As of right now, I like the Rui and Domoyogi korean casting because for the first time, I think its fair. I'm not sure how many people agree with me but I'm in the middle. I'm not on Rui's or Domoyogi's side for the first time, and that's what I think its a PERFECT love triangle.

2. I'm not sure about this but... I always thought that Rui was supposed to play the isolated member / Domoyogi, the tyrannic member that doesn't show much care / Akira and Soujiro are supposed to be the closest ones -- and the manga and the other two drama versions show this side of them. I think that Domoyogi, taking Soujiro's wise advice and comments in the 1st episode, shows how his advice matters, so to speak. But yeah, I thought the friendship was done pretty ok.

3. Yeah... the OST. It's not the best and I agree that Delightful girl's OST was very good... maybe even the best. But I think that the OST isn't bad. The ending theme song is good and I like the mixing of classical music w/ suspenseful rock and trance and techno and whatever. (... I think it's rock and trance?) is pretty nice.

I might have jumped the gun with my judgment of JanDi as a character. i was (unreasonably, I suppose) expecting a more Makino-like performance where she was more dignified and less childish. I'm rather tired of the overdone '"tough korean girl" cliche. What attracts me most about Makino's character was that she was very polite and dignified even when lashing back at the bullying. She rarely ever forgot her polite speech even when telling Domyouji to cut his crap. She also wouldn't shove food down her throat in the cafeteria.

I don't know exactly what makes people think uncouth behaviour=strong girl. This is waaay too prevalent in kdramas and I was quite dissappointed seeing it happening to a beloved character. I'd blame in on directorial decisions except i've realised they were trying to not make the drama Hanadan part deux, so there had to be differences in Makino/Jandi's characters. I just wished they'd find a way to be more subtle in potraying strength in a young lady.

I´m totally agree with you !!

Jandi is cute but she´s a total cliche of the typical korean girl in any drama and you don´t need to be rude to be strong ... that´s the beauty of her , and her maturity , just to be clear I´m not waiting for a Makino part 2 I´m not expecting that the girl jumps to the balcon an begings to scream "Arienaitsuno" , I´m just hopping for a stroger girl :sweatingbullets:

and I point to the director too , the girl is doing great with what she has and she´s really pretty

Guest deeLOVELY

I might have jumped the gun with my judgment of JanDi as a character. i was (unreasonably, I suppose) expecting a more Makino-like performance where she was more dignified and less childish. I'm rather tired of the overdone '"tough korean girl" cliche. What attracts me most about Makino's character was that she was very polite and dignified even when lashing back at the bullying. She rarely ever forgot her polite speech even when telling Domyouji to cut his crap. She also wouldn't shove food down her throat in the cafeteria.

I don't know exactly what makes people think uncouth behaviour=strong girl. This is waaay too prevalent in kdramas and I was quite dissappointed seeing it happening to a beloved character. I'd blame in on directorial decisions except i've realised they were trying to not make the drama Hanadan part deux, so there had to be differences in Makino/Jandi's characters. I just wished they'd find a way to be more subtle in potraying strength in a young lady.

thats what i thought while watching the drama!

I was like, 'is she supposed to be that immature and childish?'

I see this role in almost every korean drama

its redundant

I'm going to get sick of seeing food in her mouth

but otherwise, drama is mehh, okay for me so far

lack of chemistry between friends and the guy who plays rui and makino (sorry not getting the names down yet)

and I agree with the comment about not falling over rui the first time

usually it happens, but to me he's just another character

but I see a little something between the two main characters

at least its better than the taiwanese version

I'll continue watching to see

oh and I hope the OST will improve dramtatically

Guest sharry

1. Aw, well that's your opinion. IMO- there's a balance. As of right now, I like the Rui and Domoyogi korean casting because for the first time, I think its fair. I'm not sure how many people agree with me but I'm in the middle. I'm not on Rui's or Domoyogi's side for the first time, and that's what I think its a PERFECT love triangle.

I so agree with u on that point. I like the little actions that they have added to both characters. I usually tend to hate the mean guy in every drama as soon as it starts. But with Jun Pyo i haven't been able!. And Ji hoo, i wanna love him.. but he can be dry and not so nice sometimes too and i dunno which one i want jandi with this time (I know who she ends up.. i just like surprising and different endings. Hope KPN has one)

Guest manderley_angel

It's Boys Over Flowers not Boys Before Flowers. Bye bye.

The title “Boys Before Flowers” (or the Japanese hana yori dango) refers to the privileged quartet who rule the roost at their elite private school. They’ve adopted the name “Flower Four,” which gets shortened to F4, and are in their last year of high school at the incredibly exclusive school for the insanely wealthy, Shinhwa High School. It’s so sought-after that aspiring attendees are placed on a waiting list practically upon birth. The school starts with Shinhwa Kindergarten and goes straight through Shinhwa University.

Apparently “hana yori dango” is a Japanese adage meaning that food (dango) is more important than flowers (hana) — or rather, sustenance comes before superficial beauty. The manga twisted that to suggest that boys (dango) were more important than flowers. A third reading suggests that these four characters are “boys” before they’re “flowers” — that is to say, their roles as people are more important than their collective fame as Flower Four.

from Dramabeans.com

Title: 꽃보다 남자 / Kgotboda Namja

Also known as: Boys Before Flowers / Boys Over Flowers

from Drama Wiki

I'm not contradicting you... I just wanted to point out that this series goes by both titles, and that each translated title should be free to be used interchangeably :)

Guest goodnessgracious

I can see where you're coming from and I agree for most parts except that you might have been a little harsh using the word low level intelligence. The person you were replying to was rather rude in completely waving away more analytical non-praising-fangirly posts. But I'd prefer to think that some people are more ruled over by hormones and some younger than 15 and therefore couldn't stand it when people get in their way of fangirling with their verbose analytical posts so that I don't feel like tearing my hair out when people make such statements.

You are right, I've probably used the wrong words. I didn't not mean to offend fangirls and I honestly don't think that all fangirls have low level intelligence. I was only talking about those who can't accept any sort of critism of their idols. What I was trying to say that the variety of opinions makes this thread interesting to read.

Yeah, I agree. I think for the taiwanese version, he's just an extra. He was actually one of my favorite character besides the F4 because he's so cute (like a kid) and funny, but I also felt sorry that Shancai didnt see him crushing on her. It was adorable. However, the Japanese version, they did a great job without having a character like that, so I wouldn't mind if this version had it or not.

And someone mentioned about the guy who was jumping off the roof, yes, I did find him attractive, haha. In some way, Jandi (the actress) reminds me of Hilary Duff and this other asian actress who looks like Hilary Duff. I really like her in the drama, she fits perfectly. And those who say she overreacts, that's how Makino is supposed to be. So bravo to her! ^__^

He was not an extra. The manga had him as a major supporting character. The taiwanese followed the manga and put him in. The japanese didn't. And so far, I don't see the 'boy friend' appearing.

Guest koggiri

i'm new to this drama :)

on epi2 keke

but i'm just so curious about something..

which guy is the main male actor?

kim hyun joong or lee min woo?

Guest hayuna

^ The main lead is Minho (I think? Technically? @_@)

Anyhowwwww. I've reread my copy of the first volume of the original manga and have come to deduce that GHS is a better Makino than I originally thought. Makino does make a lot of those exaggerated expressions GHS makes, and the manga Makino does yell/get angry a lot more than I remembered. xD

Guest SSHsaranghae

I think it's Lee Min Ho, he's character is the main lead in F4. I'm liking HyunJoong's character of YJH, it's a diffrent and fresh type of Rui. Although I like the drama to be accurate with the manga, I do like the difference of the characters so far from the other versions. I'm not sure if the Korean version will have the constant false pronouncement of Korean words by Goo Joon Pyo :lol: indicating his challenged words vocabularies in a ignorant and cute way like how Domyoji often does with Japanese words in the jversion of the drama.

i'm new to this drama :)

on epi2 keke

but i'm just so curious about something..

which guy is the main male actor?

kim hyun joong or lee min woo?

Guest Screen Name

The title “Boys Before Flowers” (or the Japanese hana yori dango) refers to the privileged quartet who rule the roost at their elite private school. They’ve adopted the name “Flower Four,” which gets shortened to F4, and are in their last year of high school at the incredibly exclusive school for the insanely wealthy, Shinhwa High School. It’s so sought-after that aspiring attendees are placed on a waiting list practically upon birth. The school starts with Shinhwa Kindergarten and goes straight through Shinhwa University.

Apparently “hana yori dango” is a Japanese adage meaning that food (dango) is more important than flowers (hana) — or rather, sustenance comes before superficial beauty. The manga twisted that to suggest that boys (dango) were more important than flowers. A third reading suggests that these four characters are “boys” before they’re “flowers” — that is to say, their roles as people are more important than their collective fame as Flower Four.

from Dramabeans.com

Title: 꽃보다 남자 / Kgotboda Namja

Also known as: Boys Before Flowers / Boys Over Flowers

from Drama Wiki

I'm not contradicting you... I just wanted to point out that this series goes by both titles, and that each translated title should be free to be used interchangeably :)

= Flower

보다 = In this case, it's "Over" since it's a comparison between flower and a boy.

남자 = A man/boy/the male gender.

So it cannot be before, well it actually can. But it's not the correct way of putting it, since it's a comparison between the two.

It can be than, to, before, above, against, more, the more, and better. But it's incorrect to use these during comparison.

Since you have to be Korean to know, how it's written. English has a lot of vocabulary lacking problem.

Guest sharry

^ as far as i am concerned.. isnt the title of Boys over flowers a metaphor anyways?? and if its used on that sense over and before can be used in the same situation.

I remember when i read the manga the first time at the back of one of my books had this Japanese poem written on the back saying,

No matter money , gold or ... (forgot) men will always be men and boys will be boys before flowers (flowers ans in pretty or valuable, at least thats what my japanese teacher explained when i asked)

So to end this useless rant its like saying- i choose to be a man over a boy , or , i choose to be a man before a boy (same meaning,both right) I can be wrong though, feel free to yell and scold :)

I think it's Lee Min Ho, he's character is the main lead in F4. I'm liking HyunJoong's character of YJH, it's a diffrent and fresh type of Rui. Although I like the drama to be accurate with the manga, I do like the difference of the characters so far from the other versions. I'm not sure if the Korean version will have the constant false pronouncement of Korean words by Goo Joon Pyo :lol: indicating his challenged word vocabularies, however in a ignorant and cute way like how Domyoji often does with Japanese words in the jversion of the drama.

he does actually. I was translating the first episode and he already messed up more than twice. on the second episode there is something like

Junpyo :even an ugly duck can become a pretty duck

jandi: isnt it a swan? Ep 2 at the makeover

Guest SSHsaranghae

ohhhh i must've missed that ahahhaa, that's good because that part of him is really cute

he does actually. I was translating the first episode and he already messed up more than twice. on the second episode there is something like

Junpyo "see even an ugly duck can become a pretty duck"

Jandi: isn't it a swan? (sorry if i mistranslated. My korean is baasic)

Guest Screen Name
Junpyo "see even an ugly duck can become a pretty duck"
Junpyo actually said, "How does a pumpkin turn into a watermelon, if you just draw lines on a pumpkin?"

Guest tristessa

I sort of pity people who have nothing to say about drama other than : "OMG, Kim Hyun Joong is soo HOT!!!" or "I loved the shower scene, topless Min Ho :w00t: ." It must be hard to live with such a low level of intelligence. Forum threads are made for discussion, not fangirling. Quite a lot of people read this thread because they actually want to discuss this drama with other people and this includes analyzing as well.

That's funny because one of the major reasons I'm watching Boys Over Flowers is because of the eye candy. I don't really like analyzing the drama because it's pure entertainment meant to be enjoyed like a no-brainer. Oh and by the way, the "OMG Kim HYun Joong is soo HOT!" and "I loved the shower shower scene, topless Min Ho" statements are close to what I've uttered while watching the drama. Does that mean I have a low level of intelligence? Hmmm... and yeah, I'm an MBA student, managing more than 10 people in two countries in a cutthroat industry. I guess my level of intelligence is quite low, huh :phew:

Anyways, sorry but I just couldn't help myself. I do understand that some people go overboard on the fangirling, but I guess you could have worded your statement more constructively and less insultingly as people have feelings.

With that said, I want to see how the production team will interpret the manga, being that the first two episodes already covered quite a few pivotal events. I want to see how this all pans out plot-wise as I'm pretty sure that a lot of things will deviate from the manga. But one thing I can say is, WOW at the aesthetics! Everything is beautiful, from the backdrop, to the costumes.

Guest pallycute

I love Hana Yori Dango, can't wait for the drama to be subbed in english ^^

Eps 1-2 this drama have already been subbed in english,..the link was from veoh using mediafire sever

you can search in previous pages,..but sorry I forget where it is.. sorry :sweatingbullets:

Guest plurals

= Flower

보다 = In this case, it's "Over" since it's a comparison between flower and a boy.

남자 = A man/boy/the male gender.

So it cannot be before, well it actually can. But it's not the correct way of putting it, since it's a comparison between the two.

It can be than, to, before, above, against, more, the more, and better. But it's incorrect to use these during comparison.

Since you have to be Korean to know, how it's written. English has a lot of vocabulary lacking problem.

i'm pret-ty sure Javabeans of dramabeans.com is korean (korean -american?) though. Correct me if I'm wrong. I'm not korean but I think in this case the word 'before' in english is also used as a comparison. As in putting something before another thing in preferences.

In any case this shouldn't be an issue at all. I'm sure koreans translate some english movie titles into korean in a not-so-exact way too sometimes. It's 2 different languages, sometimes things get lost in translation :)