What Book Are You Currently Reading?

Guest loO4la

Do you guys get frustrated when you can't

find like the themes of books?

Like I am reading Sense and Sensibility and its hard for me to

know like the themes and motifs and stuff.

I guess I want to strive to read a bit more critically

but its awfully hard.

Any tips?

Guest crescendoll

Just finished Freeze Frame by Heidi Ayarbe.

Gonna start Pygmy by Chuck Palahniuk, my favorite author (Fight Club, anyone?)

Also, I was wondering if anyone would be willing to recommend some books!

Classics preferred. Nothing romance.

I'm in the mood for the whole coming-of-age or psychological thriller stories right now.

I'm going to pick up A Clockwork Orange, Lord of the Flies, 1984, and The Great Gatsby tomorrow, so none of thoseee.

I've already read A Separate Peace and Catcher in the Rye, so can anyone recommend something along that theme?

Guest ★ rain-a-sky ★

^I definitely recommend The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas for ppl who like reading classics. It's not really romancey but is about a guy who's out for revenge & ruins ppl's lives(kind of morbid I know) & it's great for SATs essays (:

currently reading pet sematary by stephen king

& also got Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen & The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas in the library today.

Guest innocia

1984 by George Orwell.

Recommendation by one of my tutors. I might pick up Pride and Prejudice next if I have the time to read

Guest miiloverx2

1984 by George Orwell.

Recommendation by one of my tutors. I might pick up Pride and Prejudice next if I have the time to read

LOL had to read 1984 for school, which was probably the reason I didn't enjoy it (at that time).. but I do think it's a good book! George Orwell was wayy ahead of his time! :P

Just finished Number9Dream by David Mitchell.

I'm half way through David Hewson's A Season for the Dead but haven't been reading it for a few months.. So I don't really remember what's going on -.-

Might pick up Stephenie Mayer's The Host. ...

I'm looking for light reads that are based in contemporary Tokyo.. Sort of like Number9Dream

Ashling by Isobelle Carmody. Getting back into fantasy. Don't know why I didn't pick up the Obernewtyn series earlier, it's quite good but Carmody could improve the writing sometimes. There are times where I'm just like what? with her writing.

Do you guys get frustrated when you can't

find like the themes of books?

Like I am reading Sense and Sensibility and its hard for me to

know like the themes and motifs and stuff.

I guess I want to strive to read a bit more critically

but its awfully hard.

Any tips?

If you find it hard understanding what the themes are, it might help to read a bit about what the themes are and then go look for examples in the book which reflect these themes. The other option is to sit there and have a long and hard think about what Jane Austen is trying to say with her book i.e. why are her characters like that? Why does this and that happen? What kind of message is she trying to send?

Ashling by Isobelle Carmody. Getting back into fantasy. Don't know why I didn't pick up the Obernewtyn series earlier, it's quite good but Carmody could improve the writing sometimes. There are times where I'm just like what? with her writing.

If you find it hard understanding what the themes are, it might help to read a bit about what the themes are and then go look for examples in the book which reflect these themes. The other option is to sit there and have a long and hard think about what Jane Austen is trying to say with her book i.e. why are her characters like that? Why does this and that happen? What kind of message is she trying to send?

Hey! Thanks

I DO contemplate the latter (sitting there and think about what Jane Austen is trying to say)

=P. I do look at cliff notes and stuff just to see but it ends up spoiling the book for me

-_- Like for Pride and Prejudice all of a sudden spark notes say that Elizabeth is going

to end up with Mr.Darcy and I'm like -_________-

No way. Ugh.

Guest NANI*

PS I Love You by Cecelia Ahern

It was such a good read! I started to watch the movie after I read it but it's so different from the original story and not who I imagined they would be. I hate it when that happens!

Guest livelifelove

Warriors:Power of Three: Outcast

I still like Warriors though it isn't exactly suitable for people my age...? ;D

Warriors ftw <3

Guest lilyphilia.

I Am David by Anne Holme

I've already read this book a few years ago and didn't like it that much because it's a bit dull and now I've picked it up again to see if my feelings for the book could change. =p

Guest Aiyla.-

Do mangas count too? :rolleyes: ..ok leave it. Im reading runaway jury by John grisham and Im planning to by a new book from david balducci...

Guest ★ rain-a-sky ★

Just finished reading Pet Sematary by stephen king. I didn't really like it, there were many things in the book I didn't understand...:/

currently reading Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen