What Book Are You Currently Reading?

Guest loO4la

Guest abc123__

Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen

So far, so good. I'm only a few chapters in, but I really like it so far. Love the word use. Only thing is, that individual characters could have more visual description because I like to see the characters in my head.

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^ i love Twilight and New Moon, I can't wait for Eclipse to come out, so far away =(

annotating Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky for AP English

just finished Bergdorf Blondes by Plum Sykes

trying to figure out which book to read for outside reading: Cannery Row by Steinbeck, Lolita by Nabokov, The Twelfth Night by Shakespeare, or Ulysses by James Joyce. Probably gonna end up reading all of them.

Ah, I have not so fond memories of spending my last four days of vacation at the beach reading Crime and Punishment. I was fourteen years old, and was furious at my English teacher for making us read it (along with three other novels) over summer. It was very, very good, from what I can remember.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE READ LOLITA. I haven't read the Steinback yet, Ulysses is a little dry for my personal taste, and "Twelfth Night" is too much like some of Shakespeare's other plays to be considered above the others. Lolita is my favorite piece of fiction. The writing is hysterically dark and orgasmically gorgeous, the characters are unforgettable, and the story itself is worth studying for years. I have read it maybe 20 times since I first picked it up in 10th grade, and *every time*, I find something new. Nabokov fills his writing with a myriad of subtle allusions that further enlighten the characters, and it's absolutely mind-blowing. Ada or Ardor: A Family Chronicle is much the same, but to an insane degree. His short stories are amazing, too. Sorry for rambling, but I'm known among my friends as being the total Nabokovian...

-ginger

Ah, I have not so fond memories of spending my last four days of vacation at the beach reading Crime and Punishment. I was fourteen years old, and was furious at my English teacher for making us read it (along with three other novels) over summer. It was very, very good, from what I can remember.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE READ LOLITA. I haven't read the Steinback yet, Ulysses is a little dry for my personal taste, and "Twelfth Night" is too much like some of Shakespeare's other plays to be considered above the others. Lolita is my favorite piece of fiction. The writing is hysterically dark and orgasmically gorgeous, the characters are unforgettable, and the story itself is worth studying for years. I have read it maybe 20 times since I first picked it up in 10th grade, and *every time*, I find something new. Nabokov fills his writing with a myriad of subtle allusions that further enlighten the characters, and it's absolutely mind-blowing. Ada or Ardor: A Family Chronicle is much the same, but to an insane degree. His short stories are amazing, too. Sorry for rambling, but I'm known among my friends as being the total Nabokovian...

-ginger

Cannery Row is very short; so it is worth a read anytime.

Twelfth Night is a good, fun to read, one of my fave Shakespeare's and it is not very depressing at all. Amanda Bynes' movie, She's the Man is loosely based on this work (Just like the movie 10 Thing I Hate About You is loosely based upon Shakespeare's Taming of the Shrew.)

Lolita is typical of Nobokov and probably his most infamous work (known for being Banned because of its content), and basically this is the basis for the word Lolita..... it's not that long of a read and if you don't mind its content then it's worth reading... think VC Andrews-like

Currently I am reading the Darkly Dreaming Dexter Sequel, Dearly Devoted Dexter by Jeff Lindsay after watching the controversial series on Showtime (it's creepy so i didn't really watch it 100% during certain parts and i read it during daytime ^^;;;) it's basically a murder mystery kinda thing(think CSI) with an ironic twist, dark humor and then some

Guest l is for lindsey

^ i just finished cannery row and received tortilla flat for christmas. as for now, im in the beginning of anna karenina

Guest Sky's Crying

Rosencrantz & Guildenstern are Dead by Tom Stoppard for my AP Lang. & Comp class. Meh, it'll take time for me to start liking it. I hated Godot at first too, but now I love it. I'll just have to wait and see.

Rosencrantz & Guildenstern are Dead by Tom Stoppard for my AP Lang. & Comp class. Meh, it'll take time for me to start liking it. I hated Godot at first too, but now I love it. I'll just have to wait and see.

I love R&G--can't help it. All of my drama major roommates are sick of it, but I really do love it.

-ginger

Thus Spoke Zarathustra, by Friedrich Nietzsche.

No explanation necessary. He has nice prose compared to Kant and the rest, jesus, how relaxing.

Guest overlyexpressed

Twilight by Stepahnie Meyer

Such an awesome book. I love it so much.

Fifth time reading it. And I just got it. A day ago.

<33

I totally recommend it. The passion of love.. Between human and a vampire. True love... Sigh. It was such a beautiful stories with a lot of cliffhangers and moments you want to cringe and die and moments where you are happy for Bella and Edward.

I loved it. I devoured the whole book. <3

In my opinion, it was much better than the sequel, New Moon. But despite this, both the books were awesome. Total pwnage to all my old favourite books. These two books are now my favourites. I hated how Edward left in the sequel... But it was for the cause so they could reunite at the end~

Can't wait. For. The third book. If there is a third book. o_O.

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen. Its sooo gooodd!! Its hard to understand some phrases but all in all, its a good read. I wish there was more affection between Darcy and Elizabeth cause there was hardly anything like that in the movie!

Guest VersusVillain

I finished The Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey Eugenides last night. It was great, now I really want to read Middlesex. >< I'll start on Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad sometime today.

^read the first couple chapters of heart of darkness but didnt finish. not a bad bad book...does make me want to see the movie though

Archived