For The Lovers Of Lomography

Guest zsuzsaBAMBAM

Guest miiloverx2

^ if you shoot a lot of film... DEFINITELY YES.

that's why people always look on ebay to see if others are selling film cheaper.. and tons of other people go search for shops with cheap film.

i just got myself 5 rolls of expired Velvia 100F from the Lomo Shop! - had to buy 10 rolls so i split with a friend - w00t w00t.

must try soon :D but I'm wondering if I should wait a bit longer for more effects HAHA (they expired 2007/07)

it cost 20HKD a roll, around 2.6 USD. yay

My Fisheye is collecting dust <_<

By the way, I always hear my friends saying this.. they get bad results on their first rolls of Holga/Diana and immediately, get disappointed and stop using them!

I'd say, practice makes perfect so never give up!! Seriously, when you finally see a VERY nice shot, you'll get amazed and proud of yourself :)

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest strawberry.llamas

hello! ^_^

i knew what lomography was but i was never into it

and i really want a holga for my birthday haha

but can some one please tell me what's the difference between the expired and non expired??

and between slide and...non-slide? haha :P

i know that 35mm is smaller and look is not that great compared to 120mm

but could how could i use 35mm film on a holga that uses 120mm?

sorry i'm a major noob :sweatingbullets:

thank you!! ^^v

::edit::

after an intense researching, slide photos you can use c-41 or cross processing

u can use a 35mm adapter but still not sure if its worth it?

still don't know what is different from expired and non expired? Different images? o.O?

Guest 13miracles

I have a Diana+ camera like about haft month ago.....havent using it yet.....

I bought the film today....and I'm wondering how do I set it up? T_T

I put the film in already, but it doesnt seem to take any picture....

and I read the instruction (still can not get it lol), and there are part they said Diana came with 2 frames mask....but mine doesnt....what if I dont have it?

anyone know how? anyone have diana....how do you take picture?

Guest jusebox

I'm not sure if it was already covered in this topic but is there really a difference on how pictures come out depending if you use 35mm or 120mm film?

I wanna get the Holga and possibly get the 35mm film adapter.

Blah, I've never been a big fan of film photography but this sure sounds interesting (= Ima noob

Guest miiloverx2

::edit::

after an intense researching, slide photos you can use c-41 or cross processing

u can use a 35mm adapter but still not sure if its worth it?

still don't know what is different from expired and non expired? Different images? o.O?

expired and non-expired.

non-expired = the regular outcomes of normal film :D

expired = you may get different "artifacts" showing up or other effects.. you never really know what will happen to your photos because expired film (and we're talking about REALLY expired film.. not just a few months) can get really degenerated. you may get super high contrast or super low contrast. or none whatsoever. sometimes, nothing even comes up.. so it's all about experimenting.

anyone know how? anyone have diana....how do you take picture?

(suju fan!!! :D :D ) hehe

have you developed the roll of film?

or does it just "feel" like its not taking any pictures..

because i got the same comment from a friend who's new to the Diana.. and she kept on firing the shot..

technically, when you pull that trigger thingy on the diana and let light go in.. you've taken the picture. it won't make any sound like regular cameras.

so after taking the picture, you advance to the next film.. make sure you keep track of if the frame has been exposed already or not.. because on the next time you take out your diana, you'll find yourself wondering whether theres a picture already (and have to advance the film) or not...

it happens to me everytime -.-

and about the frame masks

you get one 16-shot frame mask for 4.2 x 4.2 images (like the original Diana)

you get another one for a panoramic image with no gap in between.. 4.6 x 4.6 cm

no - you don't have to have the insert masks.. just as long as you slide the tab on the lid to cover 16 (so only 12 shows)

not sure why you don't have them though

I'm not sure if it was already covered in this topic but is there really a difference on how pictures come out depending if you use 35mm or 120mm film?

I wanna get the Holga and possibly get the 35mm film adapter.

Blah, I've never been a big fan of film photography but this sure sounds interesting (= Ima noob

35mm - rectangular shaped (like all the other photos out there)

120mm - square shaped

welcome to the world of film photography <333

Guest 13miracles

because i got the same comment from a friend who's new to the Diana.. and she kept on firing the shot..

technically, when you pull that trigger thingy on the diana and let light go in.. you've taken the picture. it won't make any sound like regular cameras.

so after taking the picture, you advance to the next film.. make sure you keep track of if the frame has been exposed already or not.. because on the next time you take out your diana, you'll find yourself wondering whether theres a picture already (and have to advance the film) or not...

no - you don't have to have the insert masks.. just as long as you slide the tab on the lid to cover 16 (so only 12 shows)

Yeah it just feel like its not taking any pictures...., when i pull the thingy down, it doesnt feel anything...it is supposed to be like that?

and I dont know why I dont have the masks either lol.....i checked the box already but i don't saw any...

thanks for your answer!

Guest miiloverx2

okay. this is kind of off topic.

but why are we moved over to the digital cameras?

lomography is FAR from being digital..

ah .... :(

anyhow.. i just shot a bunch of diana+ photos in tokyo and got them developed..

LOL

i've got a few that have double and even TRIPLE exposure.. sigh. i really need to (somehow) keep track of the shots..

i'll share some when i have time to scan them -.-

edit.. since i think we should all share our photos... (because a thread without pictures is kinda.. boring)

sharing some of my LCA+s

th_2315678127_4aa7dcfab3.jpg th_2316518144_a5465f2950.jpg th_n516215076_2513143_9666.jpg

th_2316522478_20711cc3ec.jpg th_2316520370_af0d89412f.jpg

:D -- all slide film except for the one of my shoe.

YOU GUYS SHARE YOURS TOO!!!!! hehe

V aw thanks I'm a Candy Bar

my parents don't really appreciate my photography :( so it means a lot!

Guest strawberry.llamas

expired and non-expired.

non-expired = the regular outcomes of normal film :D

expired = you may get different "artifacts" showing up or other effects.. you never really know what will happen to your photos because expired film (and we're talking about REALLY expired film.. not just a few months) can get really degenerated. you may get super high contrast or super low contrast. or none whatsoever. sometimes, nothing even comes up.. so it's all about experimenting.

35mm - rectangular shaped (like all the other photos out there)

120mm - square shaped

welcome to the world of film photography <333

^ thanks for the info!!

hm i thought the difference between 35mm and 120mm is that 120mm was a way better quality and that the "professionals" only use it or something

and the size too?

not really sure? Correct me if i'm wrong though :P

Guest miiloverx2

^ hmmm i helped Google it a bit and found this:

Compared to 35mm, medium format uses 3~4 times as much film surface. This allows for better tonality (smoother gradations), finer detail, and less apparent grain. The downside is that medium format cameras are bigger, heavier, more expensive, darker lenses (f/2.8 or f/4 is usually the largest aperture), and film-developing costs more.

So basically, I think what they're saying is that since 120 film (let me correct myself in the above.. should be 120 film instead of 120mm) is bigger in size than 35mm film, it allows more details and whatever the above says. I'm not exactly sure because I'm not an expert and plus, lomography is all about experiments and going against rules so nothing is "professional".

Here's the source: Photoethnography.com

Here's an example of 120 film (Diana+)

2.jpg

credit: lomography.com

and here.. 35mm film (L-CA+)

2-1.jpg

credit: lomography.com

resized the pictures cause they were so huge @@

• 2 weeks later...
Guest babymarzy07

This looks very interesting :) I feel like trying it out. ^^ What's a good lomo camera to start out with?

Has anyone is asia tried this? Cause I dont know if I can use lomography here.

I wanna try though. The concept interests me a whole lot. ^^

Guest CandyRain

My question is ...

anybody knows where i can buy lomo camera in HK? i want super sampler...

and it's price range please.. ^^ thanks..<3

i want to get one when i go there...

Guest bonbons

I got a pop cam to experiment and I hate how it doesn't have a flash xD a lot of the pictures turned out dark.

anywho, I'm saving up for a Holga or a Diana F+ kit.

can anyone suggest me which one's better? lol

Guest crescendoll

i was wondering how to get those kind of effects in photographs!

so it was lomography!! <33

you guys are very informative. i definitely want to pick this up as a hobby

and toss my SLR away (haha not really, but you know what i mean)

i think i might start with the LC-A though .. i know people are saying to start with the Diana but hmm..

this is a stupid question, but i've always taken digital pictures ..

these cameras use film, so when they're printed, aren't they just photos?

how do you guys put them on your computer? or are you given a disc with all the photos on them?

Guest miiloverx2

^ you can buy lomo cameras in a lot of places in HK

- main lomography society is in Sheung Wan

- Page One (bookstore)

- Log On

- GOD

anywho, I'm saving up for a Holga or a Diana F+ kit.

can anyone suggest me which one's better? lol

You could go for a Diana F+ since theres the flash. and Holga/Diana are very similar. if you have noticed from my previous posts, i would suggest getting a Holga first because first of all.. it is STURDIER.. haha (i swear, my Diana is about to break apart o.o and even if it's in good shape, it FEELS that it's about to shatter into bits)

but then again, Diana F+ has a lot of other things that the Holga does not.. for example the flash, pin hole function, more aperture settings, etc

i don't know. its up to you :) Holga is like first generation ipod. Diana F+ is like.. whatever generation they are on right now.. haha

natural_15.jpg10.jpg

Holga | Diana

cross_21.jpg22.jpg

Holga(x-pro) | Diana(x-pro)

credit: respective microsites of the two cameras

can you tell the difference :blink:

i think i might start with the LC-A though .. i know people are saying to start with the Diana but hmm..

this is a stupid question, but i've always taken digital pictures ..

these cameras use film, so when they're printed, aren't they just photos?

how do you guys put them on your computer? or are you given a disc with all the photos on them?

GOOD CHOICE! LC-A FTW heh i mean come on.. the LC-A is the ICON of lomography.. why not start from it? hehe :lol:

I tell the photo lab to put them into a CD instead of developing the pictures because after a billion rolls of film, you don't want to fill your whole bookcase (or floor. or desk. or closet) with the many albums you will have.. (maybe i should try hanging down from the ceiling on a piece of string...)

and plus.. it's cheaper (well.. for me it is.. )

V hahaha innisfree i'm flattered but i do think i can do more with the camera! hehe <3 love to experiment

but those photos i posted of diana/holga aren't mine as stated.. just in case LOL

Guest crescendoll

miiloverx2, you're photographs are beautiful. i think i'm going to use you as my lomography idol. <3

that makes sense haha. although i wouldn't mind too much about all the photos everywhere ..

woo! i can't wait to get myself a camera now. :D

Guest tOasty

miiloverx, the shots from your LC-A are beautiful !

I'm currently waiting for my first roll of film from my Diana+ to be found. Freakin Walmart lost my pictures. I'm so ticked. <_<

Guest bonbons

thanks miiloverx2 for the help xDD

I think I'm gonna go for the Diana F+ (since it comes with everything o.o) ~ I'll eventually branch out, lol this is such an expensive hobby. hehe.

Guest the kite

They're really cool.

I love the way the photos turn out <3

However, I have no idea how such cameras work. I couldn't do Studio Arts at school because it clashed with my other subjects :(

How is this one? or This? or this? :P I have no idea ^^;; They just look cool !

Are the cameras easy to use?

If I wanted to buy one, which is good/suitable for a noob?

I checked out the website and they have things like Rollei Retro and Fujio Velvia exp and I have no idea what they are to choose which pack is good lol.

I'm assuming it's film but I have no idea.

Would anyone like to help me? :D

Archived