[Drama 2008] East Of Eden 에덴의 동쪽

Guest kdramafanusa

Guest savingwork

Here is another opinion I read regarding the ending and EOE fame:

“What people care is how much money they made. The main character dies. Everyone hate it. That makes the movie more famous. That is what they want to happen. Can you all please understand? What they care is not whether you all like the ending or not. The movie has shocked everyone. You all are doing exactly what they want- using the scandal to spread the name of movies.”

If that is true, then the writer and PD sure are brilliant. And this was the only, if not the best ending for eoe.

Does anyone agree with this?

I think most of us wanted DW to die instead of DC , since it would make more sense but I'd like to add that MBC cannot overwrite the script which is written by the actual writer , I feel sad that LYH's debut had to be in one of those bad ending drama >.< SSH proved improvement as his comeback but again He will be teased for his role in this "soap opera-ish drama"

If MBC atleast made a stupid statement that "OHHH DC didn't die , he was saying bye to all the viewers ! " lmaoooo I swear I'd be even more happy if MOST of them died and were re-united in the garden of eden ! atleast it would give meaning to the title =)

and yes the writer completely messed up this which I though would be a masterpiece

That would be like “flowers for my life” drama ending, if I remember it correctly. Unfortunately kazenai, the ending of that drama was even more meaningful, and it’s a 16 ep not 56 ep drama :( . But DC was reluctantly leaving the family heading to heaven, not setting together with them, implying that DC was the only dead person!!

Btw is it me or does DC not look happy at all even though he’s supposedly in heaven… :sweatingbullets:

I came across a few discussion about the ending and there are a couple of theories I came across:

1) DC dies at the end. The family gathering at the end is real and DC looking down from heaven like a guardian angel.

2) DC dies at the end but the family gathering is his dream/wish before his cross over to the other side. This kinds of make sense because I don't think DW won't feel guilty about this and can smile so happily, YR just no way be able to find happiness after the love of her life is gone. As to what really happens to DW, YR, YCH and rest of family is not told.

3) Not certain whether DC dies at the end or not. Left up to viewer's imagination. The last scene may be the one he wish he could live to see and we see DW, MH, YR, YCH all calling him and he is trying not to cross over to the other side. Whether he will survive or not is up to viewers to interpret as they see fit.

For me, I rather this is #2 because I know YR will follow DC if he leaves this world. She just cannot live if he is not there. If this must be a tragic ending, I rather be like MISIA where both can be together (although I know people should not give up their life) but I find this is just too painful for YR to live on without DC. I think her whole life since she was 19 is to live for DC. I think that's why the ending really sucks.

Thanks for your insight Sam18q.

I like the 3rd option. It leaves EOE as open-ended, in case the so called “writer” does not “know” how to end a long drama! :blink: And since it seems viewers are more creative, it would have been a good option. Unfortunately, at the end of ep56, it was clear that DC died even without the family gathering. Why? For two reasons:

DC was shot in his heart and DC remembered his father…when you see the dead it’s a bad sign :crazy: …he is definitely dying.

So with that, the writer unfortunately did not even allow the open-end option for the viewers. They clearly wanted to imply that DC is dead. Talk about being cruel to loyal fans…if it was a16 episode drama I would have understood, but they had more than 56 episodes to fix everything and a funeral would have been nice!

In doing that the writer (beside being inconsistent with the "superman thing" )was very harsh and cruel towards the audience...I’m sorry to repeat this but: that’s why there are many suicide cases!!! :sweatingbullets:

As for YR killing herself to follow DC.. In MISA, you can argue that the girl’s suicide served a purpose. That is as punishment for her father’s sin, who now lost his beloved daughter. I don’t think it’s appropriate to depicts the main character committing suicide to follow a loved one to grave!! But considering that Grace went to asylum it seems like a plausible action that Grace might take later, unless of course she is truly pregnant.

Not only Grace, but DW as well. Since he came back to his senses, the only thing that kept him from suicide in ep 42 was because he was the “prosecutor of Korea”. But after he failed in his job and lost his brother…well, why would he still be alive or happy that he became a murderer like his father. DW killed LKC’s son! Way to go……

Usually in writing a story there is a purpose and conclusion, eoe did not seem to represent much esp. with this kind of ending. Not that I am for a happy ending. No, we had hoped for a meaningful, more matured ending not a childish and rushed one. :D

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

New MV posted on MBC site. Someone posted it on baidu as well.

For YR-DC shippers, it highlights their initial meeting, their trials and separation at the end:

mv.baidu.com/export/flashplayer.swf?vid=d193c835bd331c9523dc1113

(pls put http:// in front. For some reason it truncates the URL and if you click on it, it comes back with Error page not found)

Anyone has a link where I can download this? Have problems with getting a copy of file from Baidu. Really want to get this file :) Thank you.

Guest arinkorin

okay.

I haven't watched EoE since episode 38 because I couldn't on9 and I was in boarding school.

so when I came back home for holiday just now, I was so disappointed to see the links for certain episodes (including 38!) are broken. =(

does anyone know where can I watch these episodes online? sobs.

pls help. thanks =)

Guest lucky_moon

okay.

I haven't watched EoE since episode 38 because I couldn't on9 and I was in boarding school.

so when I came back home for holiday just now, I was so disappointed to see the links for certain episodes (including 38!) are broken. =(

does anyone know where can I watch these episodes online? sobs.

pls help. thanks =)

http://www.viikii.net/channels/goto/eastofeden

I'm dissapointed in the ending... in a way there was really no justice at all... DW was being such an a-hole... feel sorry for DC and YR... DC grew up with out a father and now his child is going to grow up with out a father...

Guest benchmarkjoe

FOR MY OPINION ... I REALLY LIKE THIS DRAMA !!! THERE IS A LOT OF LESSON HERE TO LEARN .... I APPLAUD THE WRITER OR THE SCRIPTWRITER IN THIS STORY ... I KNOW IT IS VERY SAD THAT THE MAIN CHARACTER DIED ... BUT IF YOU THINK ABOUT THIS STORY ... IT IS ALL ABOUT LOVE , HATE , HIGH AMBITION AND DECEITFUL ..

AND I THINK THE WRITER OR SCRIPTWRITER DID THE GOOD JOB ... THERE IS LOTS OF SUSPENSE AND THE CLIMAX IS AT THE END .... I KNOW YOU GUYS LIKE THE HAPPY ENDING ...I DO TOO !!! BUT SOMETIMES IT 'S A LITTLE BIT CORNY THOUGH ... B/C YOU KNOW ALREADY WHATS GOING TO HAPPEN IN ALL EPISODES... IN THIS STORY , YOU GUYS GOT CAUGHT BY SURPRISED B/C THEY TWISTED THE CHARACTER OF SOME PEOPLE .... JUST LIKE I SAID TOO MANY SUSPENSE ...

EXCESNA ..... YOU ARE RIGHT ... THE SONG AND LYRIC ARE SUIT IN THIS STORY ... I WISH THEY PLAY THIS AS THEIR BACKROUND WHEN DC GOT SHOT AND DW WAS THEIR TOO .... I WILL BE CRYING SO HARD THAT I NEED A BUCKET FOR ALL MY TEARS....

BRAVO TO ALL ACTRESSES AND ACTORS FOR THE GOOD JOB .... !!!

I LOVE KDRAMA ....!!!

Well, I and mostly others love see the happy ending but not a sad ending. Now, I have not watched to the last 2 esps.... I certainly delete the last 2 and don't want to waste my time for BAD ending. It should end at 53.

Guest tieyjay

There are some songs that not in OST and OST 2 list... Can some tell where can i find all OST songs? For example background song in ep 43, when YR give DC briefcase at port.....

I came across a few discussion about the ending and there are a couple of theories I came across:

1) DC dies at the end. The family gathering at the end is real and DC looking down from heaven like a guardian angel.

2) DC dies at the end but the family gathering is his dream/wish before his cross over to the other side. This kinds of make sense because I don't think DW won't feel guilty about this and can smile so happily, YR just no way be able to find happiness after the love of her life is gone. As to what really happens to DW, YR, YCH and rest of family is not told.

3) Not certain whether DC dies at the end or not. Left up to viewer's imagination. The last scene may be the one he wish he could live to see and we see DW, MH, YR, YCH all calling him and he is trying not to cross over to the other side. Whether he will survive or not is up to viewers to interpret as they see fit.

For me, I rather this is #2 because I know YR will follow DC if he leaves this world. She just cannot live if he is not there. If this must be a tragic ending, I rather be like MISIA where both can be together (although I know people should not give up their life) but I find this is just too painful for YR to live on without DC. I think her whole life since she was 19 is to live for DC. I think that's why the ending really sucks.

No I totally agree with you on your reasoning for picking your second theory.

I agree it's not really reasonable that she'd continue living on without dongchul around. She really has been living because of her love for him. I think dongwook moving on could be possible with the family and everything, but youngran moving on just seems like it would not plausible.

I also find where he comes back with a shiny background a bit unnecessary lol it would have been better without that there.

Have to say though ep 56 had me crying from when you knew the guy was gonna "shoot" dong wook, cause then we knew who was gonna step in =[.

Guest twilight0holic

:-( The ending just got me utterly depressed....I'm in need of a happy movie right now. Any suggestions? PLEASE T_TT

Guest shinhwa89

does anyone know where i can download the first and second ost, i dont think its uploaded on the resources file on the ost sections. Thanks

i already predicted the ending will happen like that

why must they make DC die??? :huh:

while grace having his baby

agree with shinhwa89

only if it ended at 50 with a happy ending

anyways- east of eden was an awesome drama

make me follow the drama until 56 episode(even though i'm x kind of person who can follow long drama)

song seung hun -you are really good actor!!

Guest snyder

i have a question. i was thinking about watching east of eden for quite some time but the number of episodes kept holding me back. my question is whether there's any love interest between lee da hae's character and song seung hun's character?? because in the summary, it's described that song seung hun's love interest is only lee yeon hee. and lee da hae's character loves yeon jeong hoon's character. i prefer song seung hun with lee da hae though. they look better together than when SSH with LYH. since i heard lee da hae has left the cast of east of eden, i'm kinda wondering. is there any love interest storyline between those 2 (SSH and LDH)???

Guest kchild702

Looked like SSH posted a message on his board:

http://www.songseungheon.com/Board/BoardVi...on=&sceDay=

Can someone take a look at it and tell us what he said and the comments?

Thanks.

i know its late but here u go.

How are you this is Song Seung Hoon.

Finally the final eps. Of E.O.E. has wrapped up.

It feels like this drama started yesterday but 7 months have pass.

Filming process feels like almost close to 1 yr. during that time

It feels like I been living like Lee Dong Chul in E.O.E.

Feeling sadden and it feels like I still need to improve a lot but I’m glad we were able to finish the

Drama without any big problems. For that I’m thankful, also the director, writer and the staff members that were involved I truly want to say thank you for you hard works.

Also the character I been living under DC, I think he will stay with me in my mind for a long time. I don’t think I will be able to forget him that easily.

Weather it’s 1 day.. 1 year…. Or even 10 years…. I don’t know how long it will take.

I’m cutting it short………….

The fans who showed their love an interest and all the hard working staff on the set and the actors you were the back bone of this drama and we were able to finish this drama with your help and love. I truly thank you. I hope this drama will last in your hearts for a long time.

Thank you very much everyone!

Late at night loving all you guys…..from DC…….

kchild702, thanks for the translation. Appreciated it.

Seems cannot believe that the drama really ended :w00t:

i know its late but here u go.

There is implications that LDH has a love interest towards SSH's character but it was never developed. During the whole story, the love never blossomed. SSH's character has always loved LYH's character. Hope this answers your question.

i have a question. i was thinking about watching east of eden for quite some time but the number of episodes kept holding me back. my question is whether there's any love interest between lee da hae's character and song seung hun's character?? because in the summary, it's described that song seung hun's love interest is only lee yeon hee. and lee da hae's character loves yeon jeong hoon's character. i prefer song seung hun with lee da hae though. they look better together than when SSH with LYH. since i heard lee da hae has left the cast of east of eden, i'm kinda wondering. is there any love interest storyline between those 2 (SSH and LDH)???

Guest jiwoneex3

oh my god, a bit late, but i just finished watching this drama (due to studying for SATs, i had no time to watch it last week)

god, my eyes are so red. i cried so much! especially while DW had the flashback of him & his father while he was dying. ):

honestly, i loved this drama. any drama that makes me cry like a baby is a good one.

and yes, who doesn't like happy endings? i would've rather seen a beautiful, yet typical happy ending,

than one that ended up tragic, in a way.

but we should all know by now that korean dramas and their writers make up the complete opposite of how we want the ending to be.

but it was funny, how Rebecca said something about Cain and Abel, and that is what i'm watching now.

anyway, i enjoyed EOE and i'm sad this journey ended.

Archived