[Drama 2008] East Of Eden 에덴의 동쪽

Guest kdramafanusa

Guest edenlove

what happens if Rebecca's whereabouts are NOT mentioned in the last 2 episodes? Just a thought.

Why do you make a comparison distinction between a long drama aired in the weekends versus one during the week? All weekend dramas are primetime, so I fail to see the significance of the drama's ratings. Yes, it's consistent but not superlative nor as amazing as you're making it out to be. Sandglass also sustained tremendous ratings during its long airing and this is the show that everyone is comparing EOE to be.

In the end, I'm glad that you feel that you need to defend EOE to those of us who don't find it necessarily perfect. I think though, that it's possible to like a drama (as I do with EOE, despite its several failings) and discuss its insufficiencies and NOT be considred anti-fans of the show. I like the drama - and dream of it's potential of what it could have been and am simply faced with the reality of what it is.

Frankly, I'm not bothered by HJE's exit with or without explanation. If they decided to change that part of the storyline due to protests or whatever reasons, I'm happy to see how they have developed DW so far without her role. Viewers/netizens voiced their dissatisfaction on her role and were reported in the media, but they didn't complain/make more noise about her quiet exit. As for Rebecca's whereabouts, why worry/brood over something that has not even happened? I'm positive she will be mentioned due to Guk's hidden card of HK Bank, and I also see the writer did not forget other small details like Chun's mystery suitcase, WG father's 'dispute' with Guk (although not fully explained as yet). If Rebecca really isn't mentioned at the end, I'm sure viewers will raise many questions.

I would think it is more accurate/fairer to compare ratings of dramas aired at similar timeslots, i.e. Mon/Tue or Wed/Thu 10pm dramas. The daily/weekend dramas aired at evening timeslots are targetted at different audience group (housewives?) and viewership gets up to high 30s or over 40%. For weekday 10pm dramas, it is rare to get to 30% rating. I may be wrong but that's what I read from netizens saying that EOE's average of 25% rating is satisfactorily good, and news article mentioned this as well. I am only stating what I read and "not making it out to look amazing". I am all happy that EOE maintains its constant ratings so far. I would think it is not realistic to compare today's drama ratings with those many years ago, due to environment and technology changes etc. Sandglass's average rating of 50.5% is magnificent in its time era, but is a rating unachievable today even for those highly-rated and successful dramas. Even the definition of a great drama today is different from the past due to various factors. (ok, enough of ratings... won't talk about this anymore)

"Sandglass is the show that everyone is comparing EOE to be" - I don't, and the majority of EOE fans in the Chinese community don't.

Lastly, I "don't defend EOE to those who don't find it necessarily perfect". I am fully aware of the flaws in the drama which have been mentioned here repeatedly. EOE may not have an excellent script, but it does have good plots/scenes here and there. I personally like all the characters of EOE. I especially enjoy the dialogues/lines and have read very good character/storyline analysis- by dialogues-specific, by some fans. Whilst there have been (repetitive) discussions of its shortcomings in this thread, what is lacking is a balanced positive overview of EOE (besides its good acting) in various other aspects (e.g. character analysis of Guk, MH).

The mental plot may be a big waste of resources. It is actually somewhat cliché. But I was touched by it. For a twenty something who is angry at the situation in life that doesn’t go her way and tries to take the desperate measures, she at least knows she loves someone more than herself and she can’t just kill herself to end her own frustration. It is nice for me to see a familiar love cliché has been touched up with the resilience and persistence.

I don't see a lot of waste of resources here. To me, it's just something that flows with the story and development of YR's character. As we look back now, Guk didn't even know how much suffering YR has gone through under his control.

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would think it is more accurate/fairer to compare ratings of dramas aired at similar timeslots, i.e. Mon/Tue or Wed/Thu 10pm dramas. The daily/weekend dramas aired at evening timeslots are targetted at different audience group (housewives?) and viewership gets up to high 30s or over 40%. For weekday 10pm dramas, it is rare to get to 30% rating. I may be wrong but that's what I read from netizens saying that EOE's average of 25% rating is satisfactorily good, and news article mentioned this as well. I am only stating what I read and "not making it out to look amazing". I am all happy that EOE maintains its constant ratings so far. I would think it is not realistic to compare today's drama ratings with those many years ago, due to environment and technology changes etc. Sandglass's average rating of 50.5% is magnificent in its time era, but is a rating unachievable today even for those highly-rated and successful dramas. Even the definition of a great drama today is different from the past due to various factors. (ok, enough of ratings... won't talk about this anymore)

"Sandglass is the show that everyone is comparing EOE to be" - I don't, and the majority of EOE fans in the Chinese community don't.

Lastly, I "don't defend EOE to those who don't find it necessarily perfect". I am fully aware of the flaws in the drama which have been mentioned here repeatedly. EOE may not have an excellent script, but it does have good plots/scenes here and there. I personally like all the characters of EOE. I especially enjoy the dialogues/lines and have read very good character/storyline analysis- by dialogues-specific, by some fans. Whilst there have been (repetitive) discussions of its shortcomings in this thread, what is lacking is a balanced positive overview of EOE (besides its good acting) in various other aspects.

ahhhh yess...great points here!! B)

the issue with "Sandglass" ...although i will not argue with anyone who have watched it and call it the best K-drama of all time...i do would like to raise questions regarding comparing EOE to Sandglass (viewers ratings-wise) ...because as edenlove pointed out...time has change since the early 1990s...

and the internet wasn't that widely accessible to the general public at large in most countries...where information is at the click of a button and "live streaming videos" were in existence...Soompi (message forums) didn't exist, so the only way to get information is to actually watch the drama on television...

the culture of demographics have change ...young teenagers/adults have other venues to entertain themselves in today's age than in the early 90s in Seoul Korea i would think...

ask yourselves how would "Sandglass" do with today's line up at Mon/Tues 9:55pm Korea's time against an icon of probably 1 of the best manga of all time in "Hana Yori Dango" turned into a Kdrama...?? will it keep it's core audience?? will it constantly get 25% on average of viewership ratings?? would today's teenagers and young adults turned the channel to MBC and watch Sandglass and discard BOF?? would Sandglass get the same 50% rating it would get compared to when it was aired back then?? the answer is we don't know...it's a comparison of hypotheticals...but my personal opinion is...i don't think it would reach that high of a rating compare to when it was 1st aired...because times have changed...

Guest joicy

I have not watched EOE recently so I won't join other discussion, just have a point on the rating comparison. Well, I don't know if Sand Glass was aired recently but for First love (a drama with Bae Yong Joon and Choi Ji Woo in it), I saw it being aired in the recent years in Korea and it still sustains its high rating compared to current drama. If anyone has the number for recent airing Sand Glass episodes it would be an excellent criteria for comparison.

For me, I believe that if Sand Glass is being aired again, in these days it still remains its high record rating. In the end, any drama or movie has its own quality and no matter the time we watch it, if it's good then it's good = people like it. It's undeniable. That's why, for me, I have known nothing about Korea's history that turbulent time, and I am not a Korean or born-in-Korea, but I cried and felt with Sand Glass. I am happy that I had a chance to watch that drama this year. EOE is the drama which made me watch Sand Glass and I had high hope for it to be another Sand Glass- but I do agree that I have been disappointed when it failed to achieve others' expectation. Yes, it's a good show to some one and it has its concrete fans, but for some with higher hope, some used to love EOE with more than they normally do for other k-drama, then it failed. The fact that it did not win any award in Baeksang speaks truth. But what can I do? Ranting and raving and get called an anti-fan of the show which I used to love? :D

The fact that it did not win any award in Baeksang speaks truth. But what can I do? Ranting and raving and get called an anti-fan of the show which I used to love? :D

aww joicy i would not categorize you as an anti-fan of the show... :rolleyes:

you just didn't like how the story went compare to how the writers wanted it...and that's your right...you were 1 of many that the writers can't help in keeping you to continue loving the drama...and that's it...

however there are also many more out there that do enjoy and love EOE regardless how imperfect it is...and just because they are not registered in soompi forums to comment on it on EOE thread means that they do not exist...there are so many forums complimenting EOE in a lot of countries...the dominants are in China, Korea and Japan...

and to those people just because EOE didn't win a Baeksang award speak the truth about what?? --- that there are a lot of teenagers (some young adults) who registered and pay and vote for their favorite stars numerous times as many as they like!!?? it's only an accurate depiction to a popularity award in my opinion...

we can't see the truth of EOE's conviction as a "good drama" or not...only those individuals who were moved by the story, the journey, and the words that was said in EOE who can honestly answer you what the truth about EOE is...

the truth will be in their hearts...

these people are the silent majority who love EOE...

Just a clarification on the validity on Baeksang awards for film/TV section to put it right. Awards for the most popular actress and actor awards are polled by fans. The rest of the awards are on its merits. Panel of judges are representatives from the press and media industries.Sadly EOE did not win a single award from this year's list.

To be fair, there are just a lot of silent majority from korea/other countries who did not like EOE for various reasons too.The point is it should be put in its right perspectives fairly.

Finally may I add that we, Soompi members are among the best informed and our opinions especially on the Korean entertainments and drama updates are well respected in alot of blogs and forumn in US,China, Japan etc and of course here in Korea.There is the element of credibility and truth in most of the statements which do not necessary need substantiate proofs from other forumns to stand tall.We earn a pat on all our shoulders for that and the number of active members, who registered since 05, who are still around speak volume of it. :D

To be fair, there are just a lot of silent majority from korea/other countries who did not like EOE for various reasons too.The point is it should be put in its right perspectives fairly.

absolutely true...

the right perspectives indeed, however it is within those individuals to figure out by themselves what those "right perspectives" are...

what part of EOE do they not like and what part of it that they do love?? what part of EOE would they want change if they were the writer?? what part of EOE would they leave it as is and not touch 1 bit if they were the writer?? and if they were the writer, how do they balance to satisfy audience giving feedbacks---to not divert from the original script to keep the story intact as it was 1st in conception...

and finally...why do they keep watching EOE?? is it to follow the journey with no pre-judgments to how that journey should be (i am in this group) or is it to follow the journey with pre-judgments only to compare it to other journeys they have been before with other dramas??

for those who watched EOE from the very beginning and who have entailed such a long journey up to now...they can answer these questions in their hearts...they can give it the verdict...if EOE is a good drama or not...

We're almost done finally! But I must say I can't believe I stuck around throughout this whole show. In all honesty I thought EOE had all the essentials of a great drama not to be forgotten by the fans. But I'm also dissapointed that it won't live up to that standard. First with LDH leaving the show. That made me almost wanted to drop the show. Than dragging the show on too much in solidifying the main plot & some pointless love relationships between the leads. IMHO, "DC vs DW" should've already started somewhere around ep. 35 or so. Now don't get me wrong the last few episodes have been very intense imo. But it also feels like the writers are just rushing to end the show cramming everything all in at once too fast. I thought all the actors & actresses were great with their performances. The writers? ahh let's just say fair, since we know that the original storyline has changed but they've somewhat manange to keep us still on our toes. And of course last of all, the production. It was horrible! what a mess EOE had to endure. This could've been a great great show but the sloppiness & unorganized production behind it all just had to kill it. Now let's hope they take us out with a good ending of some sort that will make sense, since we've been loyal enough as fans of the show to stick it out this long til the end.

Guest kchild702

so jo min ki and park hae jin are headed to africa to do some goods huh. like father and son. they're so kind hearted.

Guest twilight0holic

I heard Monday there will be no EOE. Instead it will be aired Tuesday, both episodes 55 & 56.

Is this correct?

o.o whoa no way..where'd you hear this?

I heard it on Baidu EOE forum as well as Kdrama forum.

People are saying that MBC is putting in a sports program on Monday and then EOE will be shown on Tuesday instead.

They also posted this link - http://www.rosevalley.co.kr/

Get some photos of DC & YR - looked like they are on the run and spent the night together.

Guest fjkuan

I heard it on Baidu EOE forum as well as Kdrama forum.

People are saying that MBC is putting in a sports program on Monday and then EOE will be shown on Tuesday instead.

They also posted this link - http://www.rosevalley.co.kr/

Get some photos of DC & YR - looked like they are on the run and spent the night together.

wow. thanks for the link Sam18q looks like Rosevalley is where they went to spent the night. the place looks so romantic. this will sure be an attraction for tourist and local honeymooners. just like Winter Sonata's island resort where it's a tourist attraction. makes me want to visit Rosevalley. wonder which room they were in. do you know where Rosevalley is in relation to Seoul or which part of Korea it's in?

Guest soonjap

Frankly, I'm not bothered by HJE's exit with or without explanation. If they decided to change that part of the storyline due to protests or whatever reasons, I'm happy to see how they have developed DW so far without her role. Viewers/netizens voiced their dissatisfaction on her role and were reported in the media, but they didn't complain/make more noise about her quiet exit. As for Rebecca's whereabouts, why worry/brood over something that has not even happened? I'm positive she will be mentioned due to Guk's hidden card of HK Bank, and I also see the writer did not forget other small details like Chun's mystery suitcase, WG father's 'dispute' with Guk (although not fully explained as yet). If Rebecca really isn't mentioned at the end, I'm sure viewers will raise many questions.

While I'm glad that at the very least, you'renot bothered by her exit without an explanation, it's clear that there are serveral of us who are. I don't care in the least about how HJE's character has any bearing on DW's character at all. I'm simply trying to reiterate the fact that if the writers choose to introduce a character that isn't merely an extra on the set, then the writers have the resposiblity to create a way for this character to either stay in the drama, of if the actress is to exit it, then make a simple storyline for her to leave. I don't think that it's too hard for the writers to do. And what's the point of viewers raising questions about Rebecca's whereabouts AFTER the series end? That would be moot point.

I would think it is more accurate/fairer to compare ratings of dramas aired at similar timeslots, i.e. Mon/Tue or Wed/Thu 10pm dramas. The daily/weekend dramas aired at evening timeslots are targetted at different audience group (housewives?) and viewership gets up to high 30s or over 40%. For weekday 10pm dramas, it is rare to get to 30% rating. I may be wrong but that's what I read from netizens saying that EOE's average of 25% rating is satisfactorily good, and news article mentioned this as well. I am only stating what I read and "not making it out to look amazing". I am all happy that EOE maintains its constant ratings so far.

Actually, there are quite a few dramas in the 10 PM weekdays that got 30% or more but I don't think that's important. Yes, 25% ratings IS good but not great, especially for a drama with this big of a budget.

I would think it is not realistic to compare today's drama ratings with those many years ago, due to environment and technology changes etc. Sandglass's average rating of 50.5% is magnificent in its time era, but is a rating unachievable today even for those highly-rated and successful dramas. Even the definition of a great drama today is different from the past due to various factors. (ok, enough of ratings... won't talk about this anymore)

Sandglass aired in 1995 not 1975. It's only been about 14 years. What are the various factors that define a great drama? I don't understand this. Whether Sandglass attained the high ratings is immaterial to me. What IS important is that this the drama that has EVERYONE in Korea compare current dramas to. So the mere reason that EOE can't attain the powerhouse ratings Sandglass has is because of the development of the internet? I'm sorry, but that's simply absurd. If anything, the invention of the internet has enabled more people to watch dramas at their own time. The question to ask is this: WILL PEOPLE BE TALKING ABOUT EOE 14 YEARS FROM NOW AS PEOPLE DO OF SANDGLASS? People don't simply remember Sandglass because it achieved such ratings, although that's a small part of it. People speak of this drama with reverence and awe because it was such an INCREDIBLE story. The writers were the ones who made the story come alive, not technology. If anything, with the advancement of technology and the environment, the writers and production team should have more resources to make BETTER stories than in years past, not the other way around.

The problem here is that both EOE and Sandglass are KOREAN dramas, and not Chinese. And while I don't doubt the high popularity of Korean dramas abroad, in KOREA, this drama WAS touted and compared to "Sandglass". Now, maybe to Chinese viewers, "Sandglass" isn't that significant, but this drama was incredibly significant in Korea - not only in popularity but because it contained the political and socially KOREAN cultural contexts in the drama. Why is the comparison being made? Because EOE was touted by its broadcasting company MBC as rivaling that of "Sandglass". Critics and viewers alike hail Sandglass for its tightly woven story filled with melodrama AND a true capture of the times in which the story is told.

Lastly, I "don't defend EOE to those who don't find it necessarily perfect". I am fully aware of the flaws in the drama which have been mentioned here repeatedly. EOE may not have an excellent script, but it does have good plots/scenes here and there. I personally like all the characters of EOE. I especially enjoy the dialogues/lines and have read very good character/storyline analysis- by dialogues-specific, by some fans. Whilst there have been (repetitive) discussions of its shortcomings in this thread, what is lacking is a balanced positive overview of EOE (besides its good acting) in various other aspects (e.g. character analysis of Guk, MH).

Yes, the drama DOES have good plots/scenes "here and there". That's the problem. I just find that the writing should have MORE good plot and scenes and not just here and there. And I also like all of the characters - but just because I do, it doesn't mean that I stop thinking and say, "Hey, that's really not realistic or believable, but I like this character, so I'll overlook it!"

2uss Today, 01:02 PM Post #11520

The culture of demographics have change ...young teenagers/adults have other venues to entertain themselves in today's age than in the early 90s in Seoul Korea i would think...

ask yourselves how would "Sandglass" do with today's line up at Mon/Tues 9:55pm Korea's time against an icon of probably 1 of the best manga of all time in "Hana Yori Dango" turned into a Kdrama...?? will it keep it's core audience?? will it constantly get 25% on average of viewership ratings?? would today's teenagers and young adults turned the channel to MBC and watch Sandglass and discard BOF?? would Sandglass get the same 50% rating it would get compared to when it was aired back then?? the answer is we don't know...it's a comparison of hypotheticals...but my personal opinion is...i don't think it would reach that high of a rating compare to when it was 1st aired...because times have changed...

Um...it's not like there was absolutely nothing to do in Korea for young people in 1995. And it's not like they rushed home from school and were glued to the TV. <_< We don't know really if Sandglass would have done just as well and we'll never know but with the newer actors replacing the other actors, I would hedge the bet that yes, it would just as well. Perhaps because you're not Korean, you don't understand the cultural significance of this drama so you may not realize its importance, but I guarantee you, even based on Boys Over Flowers, it would do very well. While Hana Yori Dango is a cutesy story, based on a JAPANESE comic book, Sandglass is a very Korean story with culturally explicit storylines. I don't have any doubt that Sandglass would retain its high ratings and viewership because - yes, the drama IS that important.

and finally...why do they keep watching EOE?? is it to follow the journey with no pre-judgments to how that journey should be (i am in this group) or is it to follow the journey with pre-judgments only to compare it to other journeys they have been before with other dramas??

EOE, with its unique storyline, can't be helped to be compared with other dramas. And it's MBC who first compared this to "Sandglass" so I'm just following the lead. But regardless, each travels on their viewing journey differently - with or without prejudgements. I guess it comes down to live and let live.

I also heard that the detail are as below. :unsure:

According to MBC latest TV schedule,due to sports program scheduled on Mon,

EOE Ep 55 will be moved to Tue, i.e. 2 episodes to telecast on Tue.

Hence Ep 55/56 will be shown on Tue, 10 March starting 8.55pm

The broadcast is only 1day...??

Two stories are broadcasted on 10th??

You must come home early.

CR:TSH

Hi Jazz, ha ha DW's rage hmm...Actually it is very normal in a lawyer's office to see this .We are used to this.Our profession sometimes put you in such situation when you work 15-16 hrs a day for weeks to put a case history together.The amount of stress to meet date line is crazy I can tell you that though the perks is just as good I have to admit.Hope it helps

Marley, you have me laughed off from my chair. Talking about the realistic office jungle, you have it right here. How I wish I can have same luxury to throw some tantrum to the deadline cop and at the same time secure a deep pocket.

Sorry to learn that EoE is not particular your cup of tea...

I have my own fun. Seeing many difference faces going through various phases in its unpredictable but at the same time somewhat familiar ways. Interestingly, this drama oftentimes functions as a de-stress media or some sort of mediation for me after surviving a stressful working day. I guess in its blending of the persistence, the resilience, the resentment, the season, the change, the understanding, the forgiveness, the greed, the rage, the ridicules, the rational, the silliness, the fault, the imperfection, the let go and etc, it resembles the constant of day is the changing phases in life, work, desire, wanting, dream, politics and etc -- and how we face the music.

Well, if it is not this time, hope there is another time to chat with you on the drama we both like. It has been a fun excahnge.

Guest edenlove

So the mere reason that EOE can't attain the powerhouse ratings Sandglass has is because of the development of the internet?

You have misinterpreted my point. I am only talking about TV ratings of the past and present. All I'm saying is those high rating numbers (50%, 60%) of Sandglass or First Love etc. is not achieveable in recent dramas. Even the highly rated or successful ones (10pm drama) are nowhere near that kind of numbers (maybe one or two exceptions).

In any case, EOE is amongst the top 10 dramas of 2008 (along with 3 other dramas from 10pm timeslot). And I would add that there are various Korea boards/blogs which love EOE and discussed it positively (but not neglecting its weaknesses), besides the Chinese or Japanese community. Well balanced overview (good and no good) of EOE makes enjoyable reading.

End of the day, it's what jazz has said "I have my own fun".... and enjoyment within EOE.

finally done but PHJ and HJH shippers are still here. What ever happened we are here to support PHJ and HJH. Thank you.

Guys post some behnd the scene and farewell party if they have....

Do you mean all shooting/filming is done?

Yeah..I am looking forward to some more BTS and Farewell party.

Anyone confirmed there is no broadcast on March 9? The Ep 55 preview on imbc.com is up and at the end still shows the next episode date is March 9.

I know for some dramas, the cast and fans watched the finale together. I didn't heard anything about this planned for EOE. I guess this won't happened ?

finally done but PHJ and HJH shippers are still here. What ever happened we are here to support PHJ and HJH. Thank you.

Guys post some behnd the scene and farewell party if they have....

Guest tchq90

I'd think the actor who came out as a winner from this drama is Kim Bum. Nobody could forget his incredible acting from the first three episodes even though he is fairly new compared to Song Seung Hun, Yoon Jung Hun, .etc.

Archived