[Movie 2008] A Frozen Flower 쌍화점

s@nbi

Yes!!! They are nominated for Baeksang. It's a pity if not. The movie is really suberb... basing from all the reviews, trailers... etc...

Can't wait to see the cast in the awards night.

• Replies 912
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Foreign films lead weekend

The Lunar New Year's holiday is traditionally a big season for Korean filmmakers. This year, however, only one Korean movie opens up to confront the onslaught of foreign rivals, reflecting the protracted slump of the domestic film industry.

"City of Damn Nation (Yugamseureoun-dosi)," directed by Kim Dong-won, is the one Korean film hitting theaters on the weekend but it faces an uphill battle against foreign blockbusters such as "Red Cliff: Part 2" from China and "Valkyrie" from the United States.

Instead, earlier releases such as "Ssanghwajeom" and "Speed Scandal" are expected to fare better, providing a much-needed minimal market share for Korean filmmakers during the four-day holiday period that starts today.

"City of Damn Nation" features Jeoung Jun-ho, a Korean actor widely known for his subtle but hilarious role in the 2002 hit gangster comedy "My Boss, My Hero." In fact, this new film plays a sequel to the hit comedy because all the familiar characters show up to work on a similar gangster-oriented plot.

In the movie, Jeoung plays Chung-dong, a traffic cop who is ordered to infiltrate into a gangster network, while Jung-dae (played by Jung Woong-in), a low-level gangster, attempts to work his way into the police squad. The two main characters explore their skills of camouflage and betrayal in a plot that centers upon a double-crossing strategy.

"Red Cliff: Part 2," the long-awaited follow-up to the Chinese blockbuster, is leading at the box office ticket reservation scores, according to the Korean Film Council. The performance reflects not only director John Woo's influence but also Koreans' penchant for the Three Kingdom saga.

The historical movie, armed with plenty of spectacular scenes, picks up where the first one left off: a few days before the all-or-nothing battle at the Red Cliff near the end of the China's Han Dynasty. While the first installment is all about building up necessary tensions and subplots, the second and final part dashes into the large-scale battles where key characters are engaged in interesting deceptive strategies.

Another blockbuster to note is "Valkyrie" starring Tom Cruise, who recently visited Seoul to promote the film.

"Valkyrie," directed by Bryan Singer, involves German military men who attempt to to assassinate Hitler. During World War II, Colonel von Stauffenberg (Tom Cruise) joins a secret group of officers and civilians planning to take him down, trying to turn Operation Valkyrie, Hitler's emergency plan to save his government, into an elaborate coup.

Though not a large-scale film, "Bedtime Stories," directed by Adam Shankman, is expected to draw some attention from local moviegoers because this comedy features Adam Sandler, who plays a hotel handyman confronting a bewildering situation in which the tall tales he's been telling his niece and nephew are somehow coming true.

"Changeling," directed by Clint Eastwood, also joins the pack for the holiday competition. Inspired by actual events that occurred in 1920s-era Los Angeles, the movie depicts a single mother named Christine Collins (Angelina Jolie) who makes desperate efforts to find her lost child.

According to the Korean Film Council, "Red Cliff: Part 2" has secured a No. 1 slot for ticket reservation scores, grabbing a 37.68 percent share, followed by "Valkyrie" (24.37 percent) and "City of Damn Nation" (11.07 percent). What's notable is a relatively strong performance of "Speed Scandal" (6.32 percent) and "Ssanghwajeom" (5.07 percent).

"Speed Scandal," released in December last year, emerged as the biggest hit movie in recent months, drawing in 6 million viewers. Cha Tae-hyun's refined performance and an interesting plot contributed to the surprising box-office sales.

"Ssanghwajeom" sold about 3 million tickets so far, thanks largely to its bold take on the homosexual relationship in a royal court. Explicit descriptions about the relationship between the two male characters, played by Zo In-sung and Joo Jin-mo, sparked keen interest among Korean moviegoers.

By Yang Sung-jin

(insight@heraldm.com)

Credit : Korea Herald

Guest valley girl

Bad news Ssanghwa store into no 5 now

[Preliminary Figures only. Will edit when final numbers are released.]

Daily Box Office [Thursday 2009/02/23]

5. A Frozen Flower 쌍화점 (South Korea)

Opening Date : 2008/12/30

Adm Adm / Total Adm : 34,693 / 3,287,093

Adm Gross / Total Gross (won) : 235,885,500 / 22,119,215,400

Screen : 288

Share : 7.4%

Director : Yoo Ha

Main Cast : Jo In-Sung, Joo Jin-Mo, Song Ji-Hyo

no 1 is red Cliff, is that red cliff really Good ??/ maybe since Tony Leung, i don't Like REd cliff 1 it's boring so i decided not continue to watch the sequel

Guest valley girl

i really wanna watch this, the preview (chinese version) I watched was absolutely amazing

the acting, costumes, storyline seems very captivating. I was wondering, when will this be

well... viewable?

-Rebecca

hi rebecca !!,, i think this movie will distributed in USA, from chinese trailer ( chinese version for taiwan ), it will be released in taiwan on march 27th

POPULARITY OF SONG JI-HYO'S "A FROZEN FLOWER" YET TO THAW

th_200901260001_00.jpg

The popularity of film "A Frozen Flower" remains unshaken despite the release of a series of Hollywood movies.

Actress Song Ji-hyo, who played the queen, is riding a wave of popularity. "I put all of myself into this film for nine months. I shot almost all the scenes 40 times," said Song, hinting that it was a rough journey for her to finally meet audience's expectations.

On her much anticipated bed scene with actor Zo In-sung, Song said, "When I decided to do this film, nudity was not the central issue. How much I expose is not important to me; I thought without that scene, it would be difficult to portray subtle changes in emotion. What mattered to me at the time was working on my facial expressions apart from the posture that the director wanted me to convey."

The queen that Song played in the movie reluctantly sleeps with the king's guard Zo at the order of the king, but the two end up falling in doomed love.

Song was praised for her acting, naturally conveying complicated emotions. Song said the movie changed her thoughts on love. "Now I want to fall in love madly, very passionately, as if I would give up everything before I die," said Song.

"A Frozen Flower" has attracted 3.03 million spectators as of Jan. 17.

source: chosun

Guest valley girl

Taiwan Poster

4976e9d0d293akm2.jpg

cred baidu..

rebecca it will be distributed in US so don't Worry. anyway this movie already Reach 3,5 viewers according Daum

Guest valley girl

according news ssanghwa jeom reach 3,45 million viewers on 25 january so today i think it already passed 3,5 million

Wow tough competition right???

Guest valley girl

Good news

'쌍화점', 한국사극 흥행순위 2위 예상

'왕의 남자'이어 2위, 이번 주말 '신기전' 제칠 전망

[ 2009-01-30 10:07:44 ]

노컷뉴스 영화팀 신진아 기자

30095906562_60800040.jpg

'18금' ‘쌍화점’이 ‘왕의 남자’에 이어 사극 장르에 한해서는 역대 흥행순위 2위에 오를 전망이다.

제작사 오퍼스 픽쳐스는 29일 "최근 전국 관객 365만 명을 돌파한 ‘쌍화점이 역대 한국사극 영화 3위인 ‘스캔들-조선남녀상열지사’(352만)을 제친 데 이어 이번 주말 ‘신기전(372만)' 기록을 돌파하며 톱 2위의 자리를 차지할 것”으로 전망했다.

‘쌍화점’은 조인성-주진모의 동성애와 조인성-송지효의 대담한 노출연기로 개봉 전부터 화제를 모았다. 18세 이상 관람가 등급에 긴 상영시간에 따른 적은 상영 횟수라는 단점에도 불구하고 개봉 5주차인 지금도 약 280개 스크린에서 상영 중이다.

http://www.cbs.co.kr/Nocut/Show.asp?IDX=1051049

this movie rise again into no 2 in Chart of box office!! and already passed 3,65 million viewers

Archived