Nintendo Wii: The Next Generation Nintendo Console

Guest 1SwtDeception

Guest aznfishyfart

.... really? ._.

Hrmmm.... *contemplates* I think I'll try to con my brother into getting us two then, so we can interchange between the wii controller and the gc controller XD I quite like the wii controller though... but then again I don't play for that long... prob 2 hours max and then I move onto my DS, hehe.

I should be able to pull some controllers off ebay.

even new ones at target are about 15-20 (nintendo stuff, not that 3rd party crap)

you should get the wavebirds? (wireless ones) they can save you from someone accidentally pulling the wii off the table

also then ull have all wireless =D

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest colorstoobright

Wave Birds are pretty expensive, and also discontinued. Good point though, I'd recommend buying one for Brawl (@ Monchichi).

Guest RS Trax

^ Yeah, that Amazon had a deal on Wii games including Super Paper Mario, Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn, My Sims, and The Simpsons Game. They all ran out within 5 minutes though, amazingly.

Today's releases on the Wii Shop's Virtual Console include the following.

Kirby_64_-_The_Crystal_Shards.jpg

Kirby 64™: The Crystal Shards

Nintendo 64®

1-4 players

Rated E for Everyone

1,000 Wii Points

Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kirby_64

917248_48169_front.jpg

Psychosis

TurboGrafx16

1 player

Rated E for Everyone – Mild Fantasy Violence

600 Wii Points

Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychosis_%28video_game%29

----------------

Commodore_64.jpg

The Commodore 64 (C-64) joins the family in our Virtual Console systems. Adding to the already extensive VC library NES, SNES, N64, Mega Drive, PC Engine, Neo Geo, Master System and Game Gear, making Nintendo’s service a comprehensive window into the dusty annals of gaming history. International Karate and Uridium are among the first titles to be available, but with such a healthy back catalogue expect more to follow shortly.

Classics on the Commodore 64 include Geoff Crammond's Sentinel, Head Over Heels and Jeff Minter's Attack of the Mutant Camels.

Initially only available on the European Wii Shop Channel, the games will cost 500 Wii points each (£3.50). While most of this generation's experience of the 1980's powerhouse will be limited to a parody of its loading screen propping up the front-end of Vice City, Commodore's console was at the forefront of 8-bit gaming and is the single best selling personal computer unit of all time.

----------------

I'll be adding more posts later in the week including updates from the GDC (Game Developers Conference) 2008 in San Francisco.

I have to finish my painting for Art class which is due tomorrow!

Check up on the latest Wii News & Updates at my Xanga blog.

// Roth

damn, can't wait for ssbb! only 13 more days!!

edit: is the gc controller = wii classic controller? o_o? cause that is definitely a bargain since the wiimote costs 50 dollars while the wii classic controller costs 25.

Guest monchichi

even new ones at target are about 15-20 (nintendo stuff, not that 3rd party crap)

you should get the wavebirds? (wireless ones) they can save you from someone accidentally pulling the wii off the table

also then ull have all wireless =D

Wave Birds are pretty expensive, and also discontinued. Good point though, I'd recommend buying one for Brawl (@ Monchichi).

I'll check target on the weekend to see if they have any GC controllers in stock but I doubt it since I haven't seen anything related to the GC in a LOOOOOONG time... but the wireless gc controller sounds good... too bad they're discontinued T_T

Ok, I'll take both your advices and go see if I can get my hands on two GC controllers for SSBB... :D which, by the way, is due for release next week! Eeek! I wonder if that's the same release date as Australia?? Oooh, I bloody hope so...

Guest CK92842

I'll check target on the weekend to see if they have any GC controllers in stock but I doubt it since I haven't seen anything related to the GC in a LOOOOOONG time... but the wireless gc controller sounds good... too bad they're discontinued T_T

Ok, I'll take both your advices and go see if I can get my hands on two GC controllers for SSBB... :D which, by the way, is due for release next week! Eeek! I wonder if that's the same release date as Australia?? Oooh, I bloody hope so...

I think your chances are better if you were to just import the controllers from Japan. I remember seeing boatloads the first week Brawl was out.

As for Brawl, it seems the rest of the world will be looking at a Q4 2008 release. :(

I'm not exactly sure if AU systems are region free but if so and you're able to play NTSC material on your TV then I'd say import that too. Q4, Nintendo really needs to get their act together. <_<

Before I forget, there seems to be an update out. 3.2U. I have no idea what it does by the way.

Guest colorstoobright

damn, can't wait for ssbb! only 13 more days!!

edit: is the gc controller = wii classic controller? o_o? cause that is definitely a bargain since the wiimote costs 50 dollars while the wii classic controller costs 25.

lol... it's not the same. gc is gamecube's respective controller and the classic controller is one you can also use to play virtual console games

gc:

pop_img_controller.jpg

classic:

wii-classic-controller-20061118030320525.jpg

But anyway, YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEYYYYYYYYYYYY for 11 (or 12) more days!!!

Guest monchichi

I think your chances are better if you were to just import the controllers from Japan. I remember seeing boatloads the first week Brawl was out.

As for Brawl, it seems the rest of the world will be looking at a Q4 2008 release. :(

I'm not exactly sure if AU systems are region free but if so and you're able to play NTSC material on your TV then I'd say import that too. Q4, Nintendo really needs to get their act together. <_<

Before I forget, there seems to be an update out. 3.2U. I have no idea what it does by the way.

Q4?! <_< That's a long, long, long wait... a pathetically long time to keep the rest of the world waiting while Japan reaps all the fun.... I would've thought Q2 at the latest...

I think I'd have to mod my Wii to be ablt to play NTSC. I think the Wii systems here in AU only allow PAL games... bummer...

Hmm... Japan, huh? Thanks for the advice. I'll check it out.

---

By the way, I have the Nintendo Wifi USB connector at home and my Wii system is registered on my computer but for some reason the Wii isn't able to connect to the internet? What's the maximum distance for the Wii and the USB connector? Isn't it 10m? For the record, my Wii is in the lounge at the front of my house and the computer is near the back of my house, within range. The computer was able to detect the presence of the Wii and vice versa but nothing further (like connection to the internet).

Does that mean I have to shift my Wii to a closer spot? And without any walls in the way...?

Guest colorstoobright

I take it you're talking about Australia and Europe? Since it's coming soon for the US.

By the way, I have the Nintendo Wifi USB connector at home and my Wii system is registered on my computer but for some reason the Wii isn't able to connect to the internet? What's the maximum distance for the Wii and the USB connector? Isn't it 10m? For the record, my Wii is in the lounge at the front of my house and the computer is near the back of my house, within range. The computer was able to detect the presence of the Wii and vice versa but nothing further (like connection to the internet).

Does that mean I have to shift my Wii to a closer spot? And without any walls in the way...?

Distance does matter, but it shouldn't matter in a household. If it's able to detect the presence of the Wii, then it SHOULD work so maybe it's your internet that isn't letting it connect? When I first tried to connect onto Wifi, my Wii detected my internet but it wouldn't connect. Maybe you have a password of some kind? Or you can change a few options on your router.. You should find some answers here, I hope :(. http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/w...a/onlineUSB.jsp

Ah.. maybe it's because the USB is discontinued now?

Guest aznfishyfart

it could matter in a house....depends on the materials used for building the home such as brick.....

from my experience my wireless router has much greater range...the USB stick thing i bought for my dorm room....couldn't reach outside of the suite

i also have an unopened wavebird lol maybe i can sell it for $$$$$ haha j/k (id probably get like 20 at most....)

Guest CK92842

I take it you're talking about Australia and Europe? Since it's coming soon for the US.

Distance does matter, but it shouldn't matter in a household. If it's able to detect the presence of the Wii, then it SHOULD work so maybe it's your internet that isn't letting it connect? When I first tried to connect onto Wifi, my Wii detected my internet but it wouldn't connect. Maybe you have a password of some kind? Or you can change a few options on your router.. You should find some answers here, I hope :(. http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/w...a/onlineUSB.jsp

Yeah, I meant for PAL territories. I blame the SB Dojo for riding the hype train as far as it can go. Every week teasing us with bits of Brawl. :crazy:

As for the Wi-fi USB adapter, I had a similar issue with my NDS. Long story short I had to disable my firewall and antivirus programs. Some of them have an option called game mode so that should work.

As for Brawl, once it's out I think I'll jump right into the online play. I can always deal with the SP at a later date. Enjoy the free online play while it still lasts. It was all only a matter of time really. :(

Wii Pay & Play, catchy isn't it? :lol:

Guest monchichi

What? Discontinued?? Already?!

But thanks for the link! I'll check it out once I get home from work and test it out. I think it might be something to do with the firewall but I'll tinker with it and hope for the best! Thanks again! My DS works on it though...

i also have an unopened wavebird lol maybe i can sell it for $$$$$ haha j/k (id probably get like 20 at most....)

Care to sell?? XD The postage would probably cost more than the actual thing though LOL

As for the Wi-fi USB adapter, I had a similar issue with my NDS. Long story short I had to disable my firewall and antivirus programs. Some of them have an option called game mode so that should work.

My virus scanner doesn't have that option T_T

But my DS works on it without having to switch off my firewall and antivirus programs, so the Wii should work as well, shouldn't it? I'll see if I can connect both on at the same time to test it out... I mean, if one works, then so should the other one right...?

Edit:

My Wii is now online! 8D thanks for the tips guys!

Guest yukumushio

wwow, nintendo seriously disappoints me with their online...I was expecting more T_T

oh well, I guess i'll have to suffice with a ps3 or 360! lol

lol... it's not the same. gc is gamecube's respective controller and the classic controller is one you can also use to play virtual console games

gc:

http://class.georgiasouthern.edu/writling/..._controller.jpg

classic:

http://wiimedia.gamespy.com/wii/image/arti...18030320525.jpg

But anyway, YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEYYYYYYYYYYYY for 11 (or 12) more days!!!

ah! you can play ssbb with the classic controller as well. was wondering cause one of my wiimotes died and my brother's probably only gonna play ssbb, so might as well get the classic controller since it's 25 dollars less than the wiimote =/

thanks!

Guest colorstoobright

ah! you can play ssbb with the classic controller as well. was wondering cause one of my wiimotes died and my brother's probably only gonna play ssbb, so might as well get the classic controller since it's 25 dollars less than the wiimote =/

thanks!

Yes, I know you can also use it to play. I think the GC controller is your best bet, though.

Guest dudeman

Of course, regardless of whatever seems the best, in the end exploration of each controller option would be ideal for maximum enjoyment...I mean, you never know, some of the other controllers might actually be more interesting. In the end it's up to you, and let no one else tell you otherwise.

And for those unaware...there are no motion controls in fighting (aside from using the menus), therefore the only exercise gotten with the remote will still be with the thumbs.

Guest aznfishyfart

the wavebird costs a lot on ebay.....at laest 30 i think for ones in decent condition

maybe i should go look for some and buy them up haha

Guest RS Trax

Wii owners will find their blue lights glowing today, as Nintendo released an update to the Wii Menu, reaching Firmware Update version 3.2 in less than two years.

The new update provides yet another method of notification for system updates. In addition to the glowing blue light when the console is turned off while connected to the Internet, and the messages in the bottom-right corner of the Wii Menu, the Disc Channel will display an alert when a game is in the console.

"Once installed," read the system update message, "if a Game Disc is inserted into the Wii console and an update is required, a notification message will be displayed across the Disc Channel alerting you to update your system."

If a Wii owner's console is updated to the latest version(s), the Disc Channel's game animation will display as normal.

Players can turn Slot Illumination on bright, dim, or completely off, if so desired by going to Slot Illumination located within the Options/Settings on the Wii Menu.

---------------

gdc08_silver.jpg

The 2008 Game Developers Conference has honored Nintendo with a Game Developers Choice Award. The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass for Nintendo DS won for Best Handheld Game of the Year. The game continues to enjoy strong momentum in the U.S., with more than 1.1 million copies sold since its Oct. 1, 2007, release.

Nintendo received nominations in three categories: Best Game of the Year (Super Mario Galaxy), Best Handheld Game of the Year (The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass), and Best Game Design (Super Mario Galaxy). The awards were presented during an annual ceremony the night of Feb. 20, 2008, at the Moscone Convention Center in San Francisco. The awards are among the highest honors in game development, acknowledging excellence in game creation.

---------------

CVG (Computer and Video Games) has gathered a list of all the titles coming to WiiWare including Boom Blox, Pop, Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles.

Check them out at: http://computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=183726

-------------

Wired has some video wrap-ups of the interviews including Sakurai's input on Brawl at GDC 2008 (Game Developer Conference).

Check them out at: http://blog.wired.com/games/2008/02/video-...up-gu.html#more

-------------

GameTrailers has a better version of the Mario Kart Wii trailer shown at GDC.

Check it out here (in HD): http://www.gametrailers.com/player/30941.html

or Standard Definiton: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/30938.html

-------------

Nintendo of Europe recently confirmed in an official Mario Kart Wii posting that players will actually be able to communicate with each other via pre-written text chat (like Brawl), even outside of matches.

The statement released by Nintendo of Europe mentions that "you can create rooms for friends to join and even text chat while you're waiting for other racers."

-------------

wifi_wii_en.gifth_8688.jpgwifi_ds_en.gif

Nintendo seems to be joining in with the rest of the console movement when it comes to online play. At GDC, Nintendo announced that they will soon offer the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection Pay And Play service. This will be implemented on some games, which will tack on a service charge for playing online. The specific pricing details were not announced nor what initial games will feature it, but Wii points will be used in order to pay for the service. This will happen with some online games on both Wii and DS. Games that feature the Pay and Play service will be given a special square-shaped red-orange marking that reads "Pay-And-Play" replacing the traditional WFC logo.

*Basically, games that have the blue Wi-Fi logo are free to play online while the red ones are Pay-And-Play.

On top of that, it was confirmed that Nintendo will finally allow downloadable content for Wii games. This applies to disc-based games, WiiWare titles, and so on. The new content will be available for purchase through the games that feature DLC. Perhaps this will finally allow us to download songs for GHIII, and hopefully it will be in place by the time Rock Band is released on our platform.

Source

-------------

House of the Dead 2, 3 Return Extreme Mode Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Zkja4ZyaRU

-------------

According to the latest issue of Japanese magazine Famitsu, Capcom is planning a remake of the prequel game Resident Evil 0 for the Wii in Japan. Resident Evil 0 first appeared on the GameCube in 2002.

The developers will rework the game's control scheme entirely for the Wii Remote, although the exact method of control is unknown. At the time of publish, no media exists that indicates a change in camera perspective from the original GameCube version.

Capcom has released two Resident Evil games for Nintendo's latest home console so far: Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition, an enhanced port the GameCube thriller featuring redone controls, content from the PlayStation 2 version and a lower price; and Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles, which focuses on shooting with the Wii Remote in first-person perspective rather than exploration.

Famitsu confirmed that it'll be out on store shelves by summer of 2008.

"Yes, this title exists… for Japan. There are no plans for a Western release for the title at this time. And now, I’ll bet we see all sorts of complaints about that fact, after pages of outrage on that the title even exists with people telling us to “go to Hell” or how we "suck". We simply can not win" - Christian Svensson, Capcom

bio735bf.jpg

--------------

pa.122152.1.jpg

Datel just announced FreeLoader for Wii, a disc-based solution for bypassing the Wii’s region lock on games. The software is now available at the official Codejunkies website for $19.99.

The Wii FreeLoader, according to Datel, works on all current firmwares, but Nintendo may attempt to block the product in a future update — if the past is any indication that is.

Datel themselves say that when a foreign disc is inserted, firmware upgrades are disabled. Datel also seems to believe that their product is future-proof as well. They should be releasing more information on the subject soon.

Now avilable @ Codejunkies: http://us.codejunkies.com/Products/Wii-Fre...__EF000593.aspx

Pre-Order @ Play-Asia: http://www.play-asia.com/SOap-23-83-4akx-4...oader-84-p.html

--------------

// Roth

Guest CK92842

--------------

pa.122152.1.jpg

Datel just announced FreeLoader for Wii, a disc-based solution for bypassing the Wii’s region lock on games. The software is now available at the official Codejunkies website for $19.99.

The Wii FreeLoader, according to Datel, works on all current firmwares, but Nintendo may attempt to block the product in a future update — if the past is any indication that is.

Datel themselves say that when a foreign disc is inserted, firmware upgrades are disabled. Datel also seems to believe that their product is future-proof as well. They should be releasing more information on the subject soon.

Now avilable @ Codejunkies: http://us.codejunkies.com/Products/Wii-Fre...__EF000593.aspx

Pre-Order @ Play-Asia: http://www.play-asia.com/SOap-23-83-4akx-4...oader-84-p.html

--------------

// Roth

Yeah, you really don't wanna bother with that Freeloader disc. Apparently it disables region for GC games only. It's even listed on the box. <_<

1182351794.jpg

Archived