LIU YE - one of China's most talented actors

Guest huangmeixi

Guest huangmeixi

starred in Lan Yu, Balzac..., Purple Butterfly, The Promise etc
I thought we should have an official thread for this enormously talented actor. He doesn't do many commercial works, so many may not know him, but he's slowly risen to fame through the things he has done because he's so good in all of them. I think it's safe to say that he is the most talented actor of his generation in China, and maybe even outside of his generation. I certainly don't think that Tony Leung, for all the acclaim that he has gotten, is a much better actor (although this statement is rather biased considering that I've slowly come to be very annoyed by his presence in just about everything). Liu Ye is comparably young, and has enormous potential.

He's not really all that handsome, he doesn't have the usual sort of idol looks, but his looks grow on you very quickly. I like his sleepy eyes, and even more so, his deep voice. He also doesn't fuss very much with his appearance...rarely do I see him do anything with his hair or use makeup, and his hair usually looks like he had his mom cut it. That's pretty appealing to me since it seems in the Asian entertainment market all the actors of his generation use more makeup and hair products than the average girl.

14.jpgsmall2004327210656200810.jpg16.jpg

Name: Liu Ye/ 刘烨 

Birthdate: March 23, 1978

Bloodtype: B Positive

Height: 1.86 m/ 6' ft 1.5 in

Weight: 75 kg/ 165 lbs

Province: Ji Lin, China

Streaming Videos

Youtube videos:

A short preview of Mei Ren Cao, with Shu Qi

A music video called 我信; he's in the middle part of it

Toodou videos (Exactly like Youtube, but it's in Chinese):

MV for 红颜, a period drama he was in. He looks really good in this.

As a host? for some program

Clip from Lan Yu, which was his first film in which he played a gay man. This has lots of slash, so beware. It's also not safe for work.

Sina Vids:

Interview

Filmography taken from IMDB (with edits by me):

Curse of the Golden Flower (2006) (filming)

Dark Matter (2007) (post-production)

Mini (2006) .... Kang

Wu ji (2005) .... Snow Wolf

... aka The Promise

Hong Se Lang Mang (2005)

...aka The Romantic Life

Ah sou (2005) .... Pilot

Yi shen yi gui (2005) .... Fang Cheng

... aka The Ghost Inside

Mo li hua kai (2004) .... Xia Du

... aka Jasmine Women

Lian zhi feng jing (2003) .... Lit

... aka The Floating Landscape

Zi hudie (2003) .... Situ (Szeto)

... aka Purple Butterfly

Mei ren cao (2003) .... Liu Simeng

Xiao cai feng (2002) .... Ma

... aka Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress

Tian shang de lian ren (2002) .... Jiakuan

... aka Sky Lovers

Lan yu (2001) .... Lan Yu

Nashan naren nagou (1999) .... Son

... aka Postmen in the Mountains

Photos of him from selected Filmography (from earliest to most recent):

Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress w/ Zhou Xun and Chen Kun

video_109.jpg

Years Without Epidemic w/ Shu Qi

10821_5.jpg

Purple Buttefly w/ Zhang Ziyi

1012068_707350-1.jpg

7.jpg

The Ghost Inside w/ Barbie Hsu

U92P28T3D693890F329DT20050405074341.jpg

xinsrc_3004020510433902299516.jpg

The Promise

Img227025284.jpg

Jasmine Women w/ Zhang Ziyi again

3_28-3-326-58_2003080114736.jpg

The Romantic Life w/ Sun Li (series)

xin_55201021411204061280727.jpg

Img220214571.jpg

Dark Matter w/ Meryl Streep

U1141P28T3D1104051F326DT20060531101.jpg

U1141P28T3D1104051F329DT20060531101.jpg

Curse of the Golden Flower... the newest Zhang Yimou film

U1141P28T3D1148901F326DT20060707095.jpg

U1141P28T3D1175070F326DT20060727140.jpg

^I don't really like his look for this movie, but he looks tons better than Jay Chou in it.

Plus...like any talented actor, he does stagework...heh. I have no idea what this production is of, but he looks good.

U1358P28T3D1166407F326DT20060721094.jpg

U1358P28T3D1166413F326DT20060721094.jpg

U1358P28T3D1166415F326DT20060721095.jpg

Guest yinki

Yeah, I does agree that his look grows on you. At first I didn't think he is that attractive, but after watching him in this one movie with shu qi, I sure change my mind. I found him to be very unique and the way he portrays his character in any role he was given is pretty interesting.

Guest goodvibrations

I first saw Liu Ye in Balzac and The Little Seamstress. I really liked the role he played and his acting was very convincing.

Now I see that he's quite the versatile man as well. The makeup for The Promise looks crazy, and he's acting with Meryl Streep? :o

Guest precious4e

His stage work looks interesting. He looks good there.

Hahah I didn't like his character in The Promise but his acting was good.

How was Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress? I read the book but I never watched the movie.

Guest huangmeixi

I first saw Liu Ye in Balzac and The Little Seamstress. I really liked the role he played and his acting was very convincing.

Now I see that he's quite the versatile man as well. The makeup for The Promise looks crazy, and he's acting with Meryl Streep? :o

Yeah, they are doing an independent film together in which he plays a Chinese transfer student who turns violent and kills when he gets cheated out of a chance at the Nobel Prize and Meryl Streep is playing a teacher I think.

His stage work looks interesting. He looks good there.

Hahah I didn't like his character in The Promise but his acting was good.

How was Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress? I read the book but I never watched the movie.

I heard it was really good and it's got a 7.3 rating at IMDB but unfortunately never watched it myself. Don't know why...my fav Chinese actors are in it, Chen Kun, Zhou Xun and Liu Ye.

Guest Mademoisella

ooo thats him, i was thinking, who is he.. lolz..

he looks older for his age though IMO..

aww but he's sooo talented!

he reminds me of someone though, can't think of it...

Guest delightful123

hmm, didn't know there was such a gorgeous man behind that ugly character in the promise. kewl

same here! though i don't really find him that gorgeous, but he's much better looking than i expected =]

haha random.. but zhang zi yi is so cute =] haha~

Guest yuans7love

whoa my mom was telling me about him

i only saw him in Wu Ji but of course you couldn't really tell what he looked like in it but i really liked his performance

Guest Wonderland

Definitely one of my favourite Chinese actors. I fell in love during Lan Yu...and of course Hu Jun is amazing as well. I was so torn during awards for best actor that year for LY.

Guest paulinee

OMG I love this guy! he is dead sexy, I mean he appeals to me lol. *Fans myself*

Drools...def. a great but underrated actor.

Guest Yueny

i don't find him insanely handsome, but i do think that he's attractive and charming. i saw him in a few movies and he's been better than the material in most of them. i love his understated acting, its a rare thing in chinese cinema i can tell ya.

Wow, i didn't know he was in all these drama and movies..

I only saw him in Xue Se Lang Man.. he's got the bad boy look to me

Archived