Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Soompi Ulzzang Contest Round 2 results are out! See who made it to the final round!

The Official Job Thread

Replies

• BAM♥BIBAM♥BI ❤ of the forest.Posts: 237Member
    edited July 2011
    WHY IS FINDING A JOB IN NYC SO DARN DIFFICULT?

-Sigh- I knew it would be difficult, but I didn't imagine it to be THIS difficult.
    Somebody tell me what I could possibly be doing wrong or is it just because it's New York and jobs are scarce..?

So, I recently moved from HI to NY and am having trouble finding a job.
    I constantly (probably at least 3 times everyday) search on Craigslist, Monster, etc. I've managed to get probably ~5 interviews and no luck thus
    far. The first interview went pretty bad because I got nervous, but the other interviews went by pretty smoothly in my opinion. I was able to answer the questions promptly and thoroughly. I acknowledge that I lack actual work experience (only about 1 year in bakery retail), but I have quite a lot of volunteering experience and my computer skills are pretty decent. I type at 90 wpm, proficient with Microsoft Office and Adobe Photoshop. I have three great recommendation letters, I'm bilingual and am certified in CPR. Overall, I'd say that I'm a pretty well-rounded individual. I guess I could be somewhat introverted and get a tad bit nervous at times, but I've been improving ever since. Every time I apply for a position I make sure to include a cover letter as well as my resume. I'm only applying to bake shops, retail stores, restaurants and receptionist positions. I always ensure that I fit the job criteria before submitting an application.

Often times I hear of people who hold jobs and have less qualifications than I do and it makes me wonder what on earth could I possibly be doing wrong..
    SUMM3RxBABii
  • nokchannokchan germanyPosts: 123Member
    I started my new job this week.

From now on I work for the government and will try to help handicapped people find a job.
  • HerroVinnieHerroVinnie Posts: 157Member
    Does anyone know where a 16 year old could work? ^^
    A lot of places I tried to apply for said I needed to be 18 because they stay open late and kids have a curfew... D:

I'm also really small and look young for my age :P
  • BishieAddictBishieAddict Over the RainbowPosts: 4,500Friend of Soompi
    edited August 2011
    JenJenn wrote on 28 July 2011 - 09:43 PM:

How would I fill out a job application if I had no employment history since im looking for a first job? S:

Volunteer....that's what I did. Stuck "school store" in my resume when I started. or get a job with someone you know....

HerroVinnie wrote on 05 August 2011 - 07:16 PM:

Does anyone know where a 16 year old could work? ^^
    A lot of places I tried to apply for said I needed to be 18 because they stay open late and kids have a curfew... D:

I'm also really small and look young for my age :P

Retail? fast foods?... My first job was McDonalds. It's not as bad as everyone portrays it. I'm not even 5ft so height's not an issue nor is age...they have standards and codes that they follow.

====
    It's been a busy week. Last week, management told me to "job hunt." Which is really bad since I gained very little solid experience at my job (lack of opportunities) and new grads always looked shinier than me in the job market. But I did meet a few people over the years...and that has gotten me the foot in the door to the right career path :D
    I learn that getting along with coworkers - doesn't even matter if they don't work with you - is a really good thing.
    fuqjys.jpg
  • bubblyteaxbubblyteax Posts: 217Member

ROOKIE

Pasteques<3 wrote on 30 July 2011 - 02:13 AM:

I got my first job as a cashier in a super market.
    Thanks to my friend who was initially the one who got hired but couldn't because of other obligations.
    The personnal was really nice.
    I didn't have any rude customers and hope I wouldn't have much of them  :vicx:

How weird. My friend helped me out to with a job at a super market.

But yeah, I've been working at a super market for over a year now? I get bonuses and I believe I get paid $8 and on Sundays it's $12

The thing that stinks is the hours. So many teens work there- even fourteen year olds can work (but they have to bag) so it's hard to get the hours you want, but easy to get days off, lol. tongue.gif
    t70rhw.jpg S i m p l e
    and C l e a n
  • 40daydreamers40daydreamers Posts: 44Member
    sooo for retail, when is the best time to apply.. sept or now?..

I already have a job (fast food) but it's okayy and looking for another... My co- workers are annoying, tight small space with lots of people sometimes (I work in a mall food court soo yeahh..), sometimes i get told to go home early after just being there for an hour.. it takes me 30 mins to get there and gas is expensive, my average hours during the week are 10-15 hr (thought I would get more hours since it's summer you know), hate washing my uniform everyday, it was soooo hot and humid during the summer, omg (ac would never work). They expect you to do a job normally 4 people should be doing but there are only 3 people doing it; so the boss is stingy! 

I'm hoping to get hired by Forever21 because my friend used to work there and would get 20-24 hours just on weekends! That's 2 weeks at my job dude.. But I would most likely be hired as a seasonal and hopefully if they like me enough, they will keep me as part- time.

So would it be stupid to leave my okayyish job for a seasonal one at forever21 and risk the chance of getting dropped when the winter season is over?.. I know retail is brutal but I mean if I get enough hours then Idc..
    I just need money to save for college...
  • leehyori2leehyori2 donut king supports KONY 2012! Posts: 395Member
    What is your five advice for doing well in interviews or leave good impressions to your employer about youself? I'm eighteen and I can't even imagine how to approach this.
  • MontbloncMontblonc Posts: 58Member
    edited August 2011
    leehyori2 wrote on 27 August 2011 - 08:10 PM:

What is your five advice for doing well in interviews or leave good impressions to your employer about youself? I'm eighteen and I can't even imagine how to approach this.

No particular order. Just some tips I always like to keep in mind when approaching interviews.

Be confident.
    Ask good questions - it'll leave a stronger impression, makes you seem more interested about the position.
    Follow STAR (Situation, Task, Action, Result) as an explanation template for behavioural questions.
    Practice your answers so you know what you're saying.
    Good handshake. Limp noodles are such a turnoff.
  • the last hour.the last hour. OG sweet california .Posts: 2,951Friend of Soompi

IDOL

40daydreamers wrote on 26 August 2011 - 10:22 PM:

sooo for retail, when is the best time to apply.. sept or now?..

I already have a job (fast food) but it's okayy and looking for another... My co- workers are annoying, tight small space with lots of people sometimes (I work in a mall food court soo yeahh..), sometimes i get told to go home early after just being there for an hour.. it takes me 30 mins to get there and gas is expensive, my average hours during the week are 10-15 hr (thought I would get more hours since it's summer you know), hate washing my uniform everyday, it was soooo hot and humid during the summer, omg (ac would never work). They expect you to do a job normally 4 people should be doing but there are only 3 people doing it; so the boss is stingy! 

I'm hoping to get hired by Forever21 because my friend used to work there and would get 20-24 hours just on weekends! That's 2 weeks at my job dude.. But I would most likely be hired as a seasonal and hopefully if they like me enough, they will keep me as part- time.

So would it be stupid to leave my okayyish job for a seasonal one at forever21 and risk the chance of getting dropped when the winter season is over?.. I know retail is brutal but I mean if I get enough hours then Idc..
    I just need money to save for college...

I use to work at Forever 21 when I was 18. I got hired as a seasonal worker approaching thanksgiving and Christmas. I'm going to let you in on my experience, and from your complaints of your current job, I don't think it would be much of an upgrade. Management was horrible. They would schedule me when I was unavailable (as I clearly marked on my application). I would constantly, almost every time they gave out the next schedules, have to discuss with them about this because it interfered with my class work. Basically I would have class but they would expect me to work at that very time. It was countless times. The girls were catty and it didn't help that management were all 21 year old girls who were as catty as the other long time associates who's been there. You'll work shifts, then they'll keep you til 2AM (you might like this) in which you complete all the go backs on racks that can range from 2 - 7+ a night. Retail isn't glamorous. But if you want to get out of the fast food job, then go for it. I was hired along with a big number of other girls. I quit right when it was over. Most of them stayed and was put as part-time, but funny thing, when i talked to one of them 3 months later I found out everyone that was hired at that time when I was quit in the same month as each other 3 months later. Forever 21 is not the best retail stores to work at. Though clothing stores in general are tiring and frustrating (imo) Forever 21 takes the cake. It was stressful working there and I was unhappy most of the time. There was overtime (until they tell you to clock out, but then you wonder why you're still there?) but honestly it wasn't worth it for me. If you don't care about the working conditions, then go for it. They will most likely keep you after the season, but if not, you could always work somewhere else in the mall. It's easy finding retail jobs. I wonder why you don't work at a food court near you instead of commuting so far?

It may have been just my F21, but honestly I've heard similar experiences about all the F21 in the malls around me. And two friends, who worked at two different f21 stores.

Anyway, if you don't mind it, you could. Might give you more work experience now that you'd work in retail. A job is a job right? You get overtime pay, so that will probably help you out in school.

leehyori2 wrote on 27 August 2011 - 09:10 PM:

Dress appropriately. Smile, don't seem so gloomy. Shake their hands with a firm grip and look at them in the eye when you do. Be friendly. Before you answer their question, take a moment to think before you jumble it up or accidentally say the wrong thing. Don't speak too fast and be professional when you do speak. When they ask you if you have any questions, it's the time for you to ask one! You can ask "how do you like working here at ____" or "How is it like during _______ season." Anything that shows that you are genuinely interested. Don't be too tense, you should be presenting a personable and friendly personality. If you don't understand a question they ask, you can ask them to clarify. Don't be afraid! Relax and you'll do fine :)
    wonbinh.jpg wonbin2.jpg
    __________Fashion/electronics/books/jewelry buys blog Tumblr&personal Tumblr
    __________*wonbinnie credits Aziraphale ♥
  • xNATxNAT Otakuland with Peony :)Posts: 578Member
    so basically i was wondering around when i found a notice about a vacant position for a cafe, it has all the things i want: working only on saturdays for 3-4 hours, and it's a short train trip from where i live.

the thing is; it says 'must be able to make coffee' and i have no past work experience at all.

i dont know how to make coffee using one of those big machines :( and i highly doubt they mean making the instant kind. i was considering going and asking anyway, and just say that i learn really quickly and that i'd be fine with working for free for a while until they are satisfied with me working with the coffee machines or something.

should i go and ask?

and also, does anyone have any past experiences with working in cafes? is it a good atmosphere?
  • Su-Cia_LimSu-Cia_Lim Posts: 13Member
    ah.. I work as broker in the investment company.. work from 8.30 am to around 4.30 pm. hmm I like this job to analyze about market. but i don't like to be as marketing, which you must make an appointment with ur client..
    get paid based on ur commission trade. hmm..:rolleyes:

sorry if annoying u all to post this :
    Hello there!! now I'm working in the investment company named PT Inter Pan Pasifik Futures. our company is in Indonesia. the investment product is index, forex, and gold.. So if u interest about it u can contact me ;)
  • RiderKamenRiderKamen Millkaaah! AZPosts: 1,659Member
    edited October 2011
    leehyori2 wrote on 27 August 2011 - 09:10 PM:

I am not no expert at all so take it with a grain of salt.

1. Be on time: Its simple, be on time. Its even better if you can get there early for several reasons like: traffic, unforeseen events, and especially when a business is running and they taking their time out they're day to accommodate you.

2. Look nice: If they say suit and tie then do that and be clean with it. If they say casual look, then do so but look nice aka presentable to everyone)

3. Smile, Shake Hand, Loosen up: basically greetings with the body language. Tightening up doesn't work out for both parties and it can be costly for your chances of working.

4. As Cesar Milan would say, "calm but assertive": Showing that your interest in the job and still make the interviewer feel at ease with you is the best way to go.

5. Ask if your not sure about something: Self explanatory. It can be really dumb question but needing to know the answer shows good judgement.
    vytfue.jpg

What You Know About Female Rap Groups? Click Here
  • lilaznlilazn Posts: 98Member
    Hey guys, I'm in a little dilemma here...

I applied to two places for a job and I listed under work experience working at my uncle's restaurant. The thing is, it was unpaid and I was only there a couple times a month to help him out because we are a really close family and I didn't mind helping when I had nothing else to do. It was actually quite fun and a great experience also. His daughter (my cousin) also worked there, and I still talk to her every now and then. The companies I've applied for wants to run background checks, and I know my experience at this restaurant won't show up, and they might think I'm lying about it! What should I do? Next time should I list unpaid beside the position? =/ This is making me so worried!
  • GDesireGDesire Posts: 134Member
    I think I've applied like over 10 places already and no one would hired me :((
    I think they don't hire me b/c I have no previous jobs so they think I have no experiences. It'd be nice if I have done some voluntary works.
    Sighs......
  • neshpaneshpa sixty - onePosts: 2,601Member

IDOL

lilazn wrote on 09 October 2011 - 06:26 AM:

Hey guys, I'm in a little dilemma here...

I applied to two places for a job and I listed under work experience working at my uncle's restaurant. The thing is, it was unpaid and I was only there a couple times a month to help him out because we are a really close family and I didn't mind helping when I had nothing else to do. It was actually quite fun and a great experience also. His daughter (my cousin) also worked there, and I still talk to her every now and then. The companies I've applied for wants to run background checks, and I know my experience at this restaurant won't show up, and they might think I'm lying about it! What should I do? Next time should I list unpaid beside the position? =/ This is making me so worried!

Why don't you just try listing it as 'voluntary work' on your resume and put the approximate hours you worked there? :)
    Essentially it is volunteer work since it was in your own time and you weren't paid for it. Plus it would still show the employer that you have the experience and having some volunteer work wouldn't be a bad thing to have on your resume.
  • snowytearzsnowytearz Amazing! BRISBANE !Posts: 2,737Member

IDOL

xNAT wrote on 09 September 2011 - 04:56 PM:

so basically i was wondering around when i found a notice about a vacant position for a cafe, it has all the things i want: working only on saturdays for 3-4 hours, and it's a short train trip from where i live.

the thing is; it says 'must be able to make coffee' and i have no past work experience at all.

i dont know how to make coffee using one of those big machines :( and i highly doubt they mean making the instant kind. i was considering going and asking anyway, and just say that i learn really quickly and that i'd be fine with working for free for a while until they are satisfied with me working with the coffee machines or something.

should i go and ask?

and also, does anyone have any past experiences with working in cafes? is it a good atmosphere?

I have a classmate that works at Starbucks and he told me it can get pretty hectic around lunch times (like with any food places) and you have to be pretty efficient at making the coffees/drinks because customers are waiting. No one likes to wait for a long time for something, right? He was telling me management had to fire one of the girls because she claimed she was a fast learner but, really, took like 10 mins to make a cup of coffee. Also he was taught on the job (making coffee).

If the ad says 'MUST be able to make coffees" then high chances they would rather hire someone that already knows how to make it rather than go through all the steps to teaching a newbie. But yeah definitely go in and ask, you got nothing to lose =)

---

Anyways my reason for being here is for advice. I'm in search of a new job because my current job keeps cutting my hours and it's really a pain when it's my only form of income. Plus I want a change of scenery. I work as a checkout chick at a supermarket and was wondering what 'tasks' can I put under this position on my resume? Because all I do is stand there, scan groceries and handle money O_o I've got down 'Customer service' but that's it so far...I've been at this job for just over 3 years now >_>

I've been looking at some fashion retail stores and my previous work experiences and studies (I study film and tv) don't relate at all to fashion ! Was wondering how I could get around this? I was thinking mentioning about group work experiences...?

One last thing, as mentioned before, my current work place gives me very little hours (usually 2 days a weeks). Should I mention this in my application letter that I'm still working?
  • ichigo_no_powderichigo_no_powder VancouverPosts: 4,632Friend of Soompi
    @ snowytearz: handling money counts as a task! It shows that you have experience in handling large amounts of cash, are you less likely to shortchange a customer. Working at a supermarket can be very fast pace especially when it's busy so you can say that you work well under pressure.
    imageimage
  • imtoghaiimtoghai Soompi Forums :DPosts: 1,547Member

IDOL

edited November 2011
    What kind of volunteer experience is worthy of putting on a resume? I've had no job experience in the past, so I can only rely on volunteering to help me gain experience. I've volunteered a few times during high school (I'm a first-year college student now), but I don't think it's enough to count as "volunteer experience" because I've only gone once a year to this one place, and maybe twice a year to help at the annual festival at my old middle school. I'm also part of the youth group for this non-profit organization and have only helped out once due to the organization not being able to find a replacement to be in charge of the youth group's volunteer activities. I'm part of another non-profit organization, as well, and have participated in fundraising activities. Is this kind of "volunteer exeprience" enough to be 'resume worthy'?
  • SUMM3RxBABiiSUMM3RxBABii NYPosts: 3,260Member
    Man, Im just getting so fed up with these jobs in NYC. I feel like I've gave it all my best and I know I don't have as much retail experience as others but I know of people who have NONE and have gotten hired? Why is it so difficult?! I try my very best to be cordial and honest during interviews and I feel like I've said all the right things, yet I don't suffice. I don't really know what these people are looking for...cockiness maybe? But it's so hard going from interview to interview like so many times and just get rejected without deep consideration.
    ♥♥SH0P♥♥
    Free People, MAC, AE, HCO, A&F, Smashbox, DKNY, Guess, more!
    Tumblr♥
    ★Fashion/Beauty Blog "Fashionspiration"★
  • janejesaminejanejesamine AdelaidePosts: 25Member
    imtoghai wrote on 12 November 2011 - 03:49 PM:

What kind of volunteer experience is worthy of putting on a resume? I've had no job experience in the past, so I can only rely on volunteering to help me gain experience. I've volunteered a few times during high school (I'm a first-year college student now), but I don't think it's enough to count as "volunteer experience" because I've only gone once a year to this one place, and maybe twice a year to help at the annual festival at my old middle school. I'm also part of the youth group for this non-profit organization and have only helped out once due to the organization not being able to find a replacement to be in charge of the youth group's volunteer activities. I'm part of another non-profit organization, as well, and have participated in fundraising activities. Is this kind of "volunteer exeprience" enough to be 'resume worthy'?

Some of your volunteer experience is definitely resume worthy, just put things on that you've done with each organisation. Such as mentioning you've been a leader (shows your capable of working in a team and a leader) or if you've handled money in the fundraising is what they would look for.