Trust issues...anybody? :(

Guest hhelibebc

Guest hhelibebc

So I have this problem where anytime someone gets close to, or does ask me out, I start to think of all the worst possible scenarios. What if it's a prank? What if they just want something from me? What happens if I get really invested in it, then they get bored and leave? No matter how much I liked the person before, as soon as they express any interest, I freak out and start to get feelings of dislike towards them. I know it's not fair, and I treat them as politely as I do anyone else, but it's just not the same afterwards. Does anyone else get this feeling? I don't know where it came from, since I've never been in a relationship before, so it's not like I've had any bad experiences...what can I do to get over it? :( Thanks in advance!

Guest hhelibebc

Lie said: Not trying to psychoanalyze you, but I felt that way somewhat when I was younger. Is there any chance it's more of a self-esteem thing than a trust thing? In other words, the reason you feel like they might be pranking you or just wanting something from you is that you feel that's all you're worth? Or that you're not someone they would be interested in in any genuine way?

That was the issue I personally had to overcome before I was able to develop trust in others. First I had to determine that I was a person worth loving/being attracted to, and once I was able to do that, I had more trust in others love/affection for me. Even if their affection/love then fell through, it didn't affect me as much because I had confidence it was on them and not on me. That someone else would come along who would appreciate/love me the way I deserved if not them. It put less pressure on each interaction or even relationship.

Archived