New job no idea what to wear!

Guest kiki_725

Guest kiki_725

I've just got my first proper job *yay!!* and i have no idea what i should wear! I'm going to be working in an office and i assume that the dress code is smart-casual. I know this means no jeans but i have no idea what i should wear. I don't want to dress the same everyday but i also don't want to buy lots of new clothes. What are some wardrobe essentials i should buy? I was thinking black trousers (skinny and maybe bootleg?), white/black and maybe a patterned shirt, a couple of blazers (black/dark blue and maybe a colour/stripes?), a couple or cardis and a couple of scarves?

What do you wear to work? Does anyone have any images they could show me? xx

I normally always wear chiffon blouses with collars or bows + skinny/slim-fitted pants, or leggings. Sometimes a dress, romper, or even shorts. In cooler weathers, I usually wear a cardigan outside. I normally don't wear blazers because I can never find a blazer small enough to frame me..well the bust fits but the waist area is too loose. I always like the chiffon blouses because the material feels really good plus they don't wrinkle!! And in the winter I like to wear the blouse underneath + v-neck sweater on top/short cardigan. Normally 90% of my pants are in navy blue color [blue's my favorite color], and some in brown, tan, red wine...just not a lot of bright colors for pants, and more bright/cooler colors as tops. I don't wear a lot of skirts, so if I feel like wearing something short it'll be shorts or rompers.

DSC_0548.jpg
Source-Unknown1.jpg
skirt white winter outfits dress rose flower blue black scarf fur cute outfit leggings sweater floral black rose blue coat Black rose girly floral bag shirt clothes love it jacket cream colorful girl teenager print pattern fabric coat bluecoat classy simple vintage jewels royal black and white infinitywhite infinity scarf patterned skirt blue cardigan white scarf floral b&w perfect outfit black purse fall outfits sweater weather

Guest glamazon21

First off congratulations on the job! :)Definitely get a blazer or two, wearing mine makes me feel so empowered and confident when I'm talking to others and/or presenting. I have these two styles from Aritzia, but I will say they're pretty pricey.f14_02_004_36337_1274_on_f.jpg DSC08151_2.jpg

Invest in some neutral pants, I typically prefer the straight legs over bootcuts but that's just a preference. Chiffon tops are a great idea, you can get affordable ones that can pass for office wear. Blazers and cardigans over dresses always look nice too, and it can transition something that's dressy-casual into the workplace nicely. 
I also think the Old Navy Pixie Pant is great for the office because it looks dressy but it's pretty comfortable too :)old-navy-pixie-ankle-pants.png
You seem to have a good sense of what you should be buying and wearing to work, I say look around at what other people are wearing and try to emulate that as well to fit in with everyone else.

Trousers can get boring to wear! I suggest changing it up a bit and wear some chinos for women; GAP sells some :) I also recommend loose trousers such as - this from Aritzia or a cheaper and more stylish version from Forever21 .  You can pair it with some cute strap heels! I'm not sure how strict your work place is with dress code, but try to accessorize and add some detail !

Guest kiki_725

Thanks for the replies guys :)

@retsyo - I love that top in the first picture! It's so cute and looks really comfy too.

@glamazon21 - Thank you! I honestly didn't think i would get the job tbh. I had to move the interview due to sickness and i thought that put me out of the running! I love the styling of the blazer in the second picture. It has taken something that could be too formal and made it a little more casual. The trousers and bag in the second picture are also really nice! I think you are right about trousers - straight leg maybe better than bootcut because it means i can buy cute shoes and show them off ;)

@nek♥ - Chinos would be a great way to mix up my style and I love gap trousers so i will deff be hitting the store after i get back off holiday!

@wexbelongxtogether - I feel the cold SO much I will be wearing A LOT of cardigans. I need to find a way to style cardigans and blazers together as I know i'll freeze otherwise!

@nana544 - I think blazers can just finish an outfit so i will be looking for some really nice ones. I did find one but it was £60 and it was super thin :/

Guest zulmme.

when I was working in a company I used to wear suit, pants ( long or 3/4 pants) , top + accessories ,something like this.
you can buy different tops and at least a suit (neutral color)

Now I'm more relax, cause I have my own bureau, I wear casual, smart casual, elegant casual etc. (even jeans, it depens on my  schedule for the day)
288xldh.jpg
2ir9e6a.jpg

Guest kiki_725

@zulmme. thanks for the ideas :) I actually bought a few chiffon tops today in fairly neutral colours and a white shirt.

What about shoes? Do you think ballet flats and loafers would be ok? I can't walk in heels (I normally live in converse!)

Guest kiki_725

@zulmme. Thanks for the shoe pictures! I've just watched an episode of 'Best Time' and now i want to watch more! Luckly I have 5 weeks off before I start me new job and not a lot to do!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest MangoR

congrats on your job!  For your first day, no matter what, just be professional and fit in!  What is the work environment like? sales, retail, office?  Depending on which you, you would either tone it down or make it more formal. 
My work essentials are blazers!  I don't know why, but they are that perfect middle between too boring/formal and too immature/girly.
Take a look at this for example (shameless plug!)
http://lookbook.nu/look/6313621-Marc-By-Jacobs-Tote-Valentino-Heels-Think-Pink

mangorabbitrabbit_jeanmarie_boutique1_me

Archived