From Straight To Curly

Guest takki_fanatic

Guest ichigo_no_powder

it's hard to perm hair to be exactly like it is in the picture. Even if you do succeed in getting something close, it's going to straighten very quickly. Also I don't know if it's possible to perm it like it is in the picture, it doesn't look like the model has permed/curled her hair, it looks more like she layered then teased it with hair products.

to answer your questions::

1. at first yes because it was extremely curly. I had already asked for bigger curls instead of small ones because I wanted wavy curls but it didn't work out. A few months later it became more wavy so I was happy.

2. worse because it was puffy at the end and a lot curlier than I had wanted it. Again I had wanted wavy curls but the hairdresser said that it it'll uncurl very quickly so it's better to get tighter curls when perming.

3. Lucido Perm Hair Wax <Loose Styling> is my favourite

4. kind of, sometimes it'll be too straight (now that it's been almost 8 months since I had permed it) or too curly (when I first got it done). but then i just tie it up then

5. I find that with my hair when I wake up in the morning, it looks best if I wet the curly parts, use hair products then blow dry it. I think you should perm it! I wasn't sure if I should at first but now I really enjoy having curly hair. I'm going to perm it again next year.

EDIT:

yeah I did tell them that I didn't want it too curly, only wavy. The hairstylists were surprised because curly curly hair was in back then and I wanted anything but that. It's wavy enough for my taste now but unfortunately a parts of my hair is now straightening out, especially at the back and the curly parts are below my lips so there isn't much of it left.

this is what I had wanted::

mikitty322kt9.jpg

this is what I got::

img0172rb8.jpg

(horrible picture I know but it's the clearest one I could find of my awful hair)

Guest takki_fanatic

^ finally someone answers!! thanks ^__^

but i have a question, so you did ask for wavy and not really curly before you curl it right? how curly was it though, was it curlier than the end of her hair (the pictures i posted)? cuz i don't think i want it curlier than that. :sweatingbullets:

Guest lilxtiffstah

-is it hard to take care of curly hair, like getting it to look the way you wanted? not really. just put in some hairspray after you shower!

-when you get it curled, did it turn out the way you expected? better or worse? or does it even look like the style you wanted? better. i looved it.

-what hair products do you use for your hair now? garnier fructis curl & shine leave in conditioner, vo1 shaping hairspray?? and this other paul mitchell hairspray or something don't really remember.

-is it often to have bad haired days with curly hair? not really. may be a little less curly than wanted?

-and if you got your hair permanently curled like i'm planning to do, how long did it stay curled? it's pretty much dying now, but it's still curly if i put stuff in it. it's been 4 months.

-any other tips or pointers? trusttt me. if you wanna do it, do it. cus i'm def reperming my hair after it dies completely =D

Guest mini.mango

haha. i agree with ichigo_no_powder. celebrities have all the hair technologies in the world!! ;]

actually..i went from straight to curly..but im sorta use to it now..since i always use to get curls when i was younger.

actually..this is the first time i ever liked my hair curly. curly hair suits me better than straight hair. but it makes you look older. but when the lady did it..the back part of my hair didnt come out as curly as the front. =P but the thing that sucks is that your curls get loose when you wake up in the morning..for me..the back part of my hair is completely straight. lol. but that wouldnt be a big problem if you showered in the morning..which im too lazy to do. XD but then again..if you aiming for loose curls..i guess its ok. ;] but nonetheless..i love my hair after curling. :D

Guest CtlunatC

it came out really well for me, but what was funny was after my tennis practices, it looks even better than when it first comes out.

i didnt get my hair permed, i just curl it with a hot iron. i use heat protectants, like thresame

that style looks really good on asians so try it lol

Guest Deathly Sweet

The pictures you provided... their hair aren't curly; they're wavy. And I think a curling iron can do the trick for regular wavy hair that don't last that long. But I've never used one so I can't really say :sweatingbullets:

I got my hair permed in December and it's no longer curly. I didn't take care of my perm at all so it would've lasted long if I did T_T But my hair is wavy now, like in those pictures xD (my hair was sorta like YEH's (right) hair but the curls weren't as big)

-is it hard to take care of curly hair, like getting it to look the way you wanted?

Nope, there's tricks to it but I got lazy. Wash and dry your hair gently; don't scrub vigorously, never blow dry your hair (it's damaged enough from the chemicals in the perm process), recurl your hair with your fingers (put a finger in the curl and twirl to the top~) in sections at a time after you wash it (when it's still wet), don't use a brush- use a comb with thin bristles, and lastly, use moisturizing shampoo and conditioner!

-when you get it curled, did it turn out the way you expected? better or worse? or does it even look like the style you wanted?

To be honest, I wanted it to be wavy like the hair in the pictures you showed, but I thought that was curly. My aunt was my hairdresser and she said no- I'll make it better than those wannabe curls! She was also using me as a guinea pig to try out the perm (she's been trying to find the perfect perm) and it came out great~ the size of the curls were perfect xD

-what hair products do you use for your hair now?

Again, I was lazy (and I still am) so I continue to use whatever my mom buys me/ what I can find in the cupboards (aka stuff on sale >_>)

-is it often to have bad haired days with curly hair? LOL

I have never gotten a bad hair day when my hair was still curly <3 It's just that I wash my hair every other day and the day after I wash it, the curls get looser. But once I wash them and recurl, it goes back to the normal curliness.

-and if you got your hair permanently curled like i'm planning to do, how long did it stay curled?

For real curls, as in big lumps of spirals, it lasted like 2 months for me. It's now the end of the third month and I'm so sad my curls are gone, but my hair's all wavy now (like in the pictures you showed >_>). It'll probably be another month before my hair is back to normal again (uber straight- boring T_T) However, if you take extra good care of your perm, and it can last a good 6 months!

-any other tips or pointers? (:

Too lazy to retype what I wrote for the first question xP But perms can be very damaging if done incorrectly so you should go to someone with experience or at least knows what they're doing. Also, not everyone's hair is suitable for perms, so check that out as well. Oh I remember now, you can gel the curls to make them stay and it'll look better than ungeled curls (gives definition to the hair or something? well at least it won't get ruined by the wind xP). But I was too lazy for that >_>

I have to complain about the chemicals they used though. It smelled horrible and I had to let it sit in my hair for a good 45 minutes and watch it drip into this cardboard thing they put on my shoulders. But it was worth it <3

Guest MOONA

if you want your hair like that

you should go and ask for a magic straight "volume" perm

so i guess it's not really straight

it gives your hair a little volume at the top

with small curls at the way ends.

I used to have straight hair, but i recently permed it last summer for like 70 bucks in chinatown, ny. i asked for medium curls and at first it was really frizzy after they blow dried it in the salon for me. the thing with permed curly hair is that you can't ever comb it..i haven't comb my hair for about a year LOL. i don't use any hair products such as gel or hairspray cause i like the feel of my natural hair. Gel and hairspray refines your curl but i usually scrunch my hair a bit after i wash it. Make sure you use conditioner, there are those for curly hair and after each wash just take the time to scrunch it up. after a while, your curls will get not as curly due to effects of gravity lol, so maybe you'll consider getting really curly hair at first. I really love curly hair and it's a good change from straight hair. give it a try, if you want to use hair products i suggest garnier!

Guest azzer

-is it hard to take care of curly hair, like getting it to look the way you wanted?

Not really. Just change your shampoo/conditioner to one for permed hair (needs to be extra-moisturizing), use hair marks/hot oil treatments regularly. In terms of getting it to look the way I want, it's not too hard.

-when you get it curled, did it turn out the way you expected? better or worse? or does it even look like the style you wanted?

It was way curlier than I wanted it. My stylist said she needed to do it that way or else my curls would loosen too fast and the money I spent would be worth nothing. It's been about 3 months now and I like my hair now.

No styling products whatsoever. I mainly got to perm so I didn't have to style anymore. :P

Nope, never. I had worse hair days when my hair was straight.

Guest samiam^^

according to my hair stylist when I went to get my hair curled, there are 2 major types of curls you can get.

the first is called a setting perm and they're supposed to be beautiful big waves (for those who doesn't want

the tighter curls). This is what I wanted like the celebrities you see but shes advised me away from this perm

b/c she said that although it is the prettiest, it damages your hair a LOT, doesn't last very long, and is very

expensive.

the one I got is another/newer version of that called a digital perm. the advantages of this is that it's cheaper (180 as

opposed to 250-300 for the one mentioned above), doesn't damage your hair as much, and supposedly lasts

longer. the disadvantage is that your curls will come out smaller and tighter. basically they'll be more curly than

wavy. It looks like you curled all your hair with a 1inch curling iron only not as perfect looking. (yeah i don't know

if that makes sense or not). Oh and another thing to know is that the curls don't start at the top(thank God). they

start a couple inches from your root/scalp.

so when I first got it done (feb 07), i was slightly dissapointed b/c it looked like i just got an ahjuma perm. and when

my hair was dryed it was all poofy and crap.

seriously, for the next month or so, my hair was so dry and nasty at certain (actually most) areas. I didn't have money

to buy those expensive deep treatment conditioners so i just applied the cheap ones from drugstores.

but now it's March and they look a LOT better. I don't know but as time passed i guess my hair started regaining moisture and the curls sorta came out so they look better now. I like my hair now b/c some parts are curly and

some parts are wavy.

it is harder to maintain curly hair. When I wash my hair and squeeze all the dripping water out of my hair, I immediately

comb in Pantene's smooth and sleek leave in conditioner. then I part my hair into 4 sections, scrunch them, and twist them together so it'll stay curlier (if I don't then the curls kinda come out and look washed out).

the only problem with me is that when i wake up i find that my hair

looks really bad. it's cause i rubbed my hair all over the pillow when sleeping. my hair isn't wavy or straight, i don't know what it is. now i braid my hair in a french braid before sleeping and it helps keep the curls a bit better.

yeah i'm sorry this is a lot to read but i once needed info on this a couple months back and nobody really

told me specifically the consequences of curly hair. And another thing, if you dont' want curly hair some days,

you can always do things to it it make it look wavy or straight. ^_^

Guest number;10:letter;J

i don't know what to say to you on that..

your hair looks really thin.. why not try curling your hair and it see how it looks for you.. then go to the salon and ask them for tips..

Guest Sooshi

here are some questions i have that i hope you guys can help me out with ^__^

-and if you got your hair permanently curled like i'm planning to do, how long did it stay curled?

I also had long, straight hair for the longest time and got REALLY bored with it. It felt like a waste to just chop it all off so I decided to experiment a bit and get a perm.

So this is the hair I wanted: (sorry for the unnesessarily huge pics)

wavy.jpg

-I brought this pic along and described to my hairstylist that I wanted a loose, wavy perm; NOT an old-lady like perm. She said that the girl's hair actually had alot of layers to give it volume like that so she cut layers into my hair before she started. The perm I got was called "o-boon pama" (haha, that translates into "five-minute perm") I guess it's called that because it's way faster than a normal perm... still took over 30-45+ min though since I have very long and thick hair.

In the end my the perm turned out similar to this girl's hair:

currrly.jpg

wavyperm.jpg

^Except to get my hair this wavy I have to use mousse every morning.

If I don't do anything to my hair and just air dry after a shower it looks something like this (but a little more wavy):

xiaohan2.jpg

As you can see, my hair did not turn out like I originally wanted it. At first I hated it because I didn't know how to style it properly, but after I started using mousse it looked a lot better and the look grew on me. The only complaint I have is that without styling products my hair looks like crap. I think wavy hair softens up the facial features and makes you look more "cute." As for bad hair days sometimes I get them and on those days I just put my hair up. :lol:

Most of the time though wavy/curly hair is a little "messy" so you don't have to worry about making it perfect. Easy to take care of.

+its not that hard but if i dont style it, it turns out really poofy especially in humid weather. and sometimes styling the bangs gets kinda "Eh" for me, especially early in the morning, rushing to get to school.

+ well it isnt exactly what i had in mind since they cut it shorter than i wanted it to be. other than that i dont mind. wel.. the curls couldve have been bigger. i was thinking more of a wave.

+ i use a lot of mousse.. lol. i like the wet look.

+ sometimes. a lot more than straight hair.

+ i got this digital perm and its supposed to stay on for around half a year?

+ not specific tips or pointers but i found my hair got really dry after the perm. so you might wanna take care of your ends. Also, if you have thick hair, you might wanna ask the salon person to thin out your hair a bit, but not too much. that way even if you dont mousse or do something with your hair it wont be too big.

ill show you an example of how my hair turned out.

Before

After

hope this helped :]

Guest jeehaexp

-is it hard to take care of curly hair, like getting it to look the way you wanted? for me, no not that much, i just curled my hair around my finger after the shower and it was okay :)

-when you get it curled, did it turn out the way you expected? better or worse? or does it even look like the style you wanted? mine actually ended up better!! i thought i looked horrible but my hair is still nice and soft. it's the style i wanted ^^

-what hair products do you use for your hair now?- nothing..^^;;;

-is it often to have bad haired days with curly hair? umm well depends? i only had bad hair days when i slept on my hair and never twirled it around my finger

-and if you got your hair permanently curled like i'm planning to do, how long did it stay curled?- i got it permed in the beginning of august and it's still curly but its like loose curls.

-any other tips or pointers? uhhh twirl your hair around your finger if you get a digital perm!! i heard 4 long hair, it looks better if you get a setting perm? but not sure~~ make sure you go to a good salon too b/c if you don't, they might use cheap products and your hair will end up dead looking ><;

Archived