[drama 2007] Yi San - King Jeong-jo [이산 - 정조대왕]

Guest dramaok

Lucky, lucky Philippines to get to see Yi San again.

As much as I love the King and his love, in my opinion Yi San could have been called "The Tragedy of Hong Ku-young" due to the importance of that character in the drama. Han Sang-Jin brought this role to life and, IMO, stole that entire part of the drama with his brilliant portrayal. Of course, the writing was crucial. Han Sang-Jin did it all justice. 

When Hong started to change (and oh how subtle and well paced the writer made it!) I started to BAWL like a baby, it was that sad.  Like watching an unavoidable accident about to happen in which people are going to get hurt.  GAH!  It STILL moves me...
:((

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Gasenadi    Ditto! I've watched Yi San many times, always go back to it because of Han Sang-jin, Kim Yeo-jin (love her evil queen), & other supporting characters. I bought the DVD because of them & try to overlook the vapid, sweetsie-poo love story. When Hong Guk-yeong leaves the story I sometimes leave it too. The shot of his prison cart trundling fast around the corner is heartbreaking. I wonder if it's original to Yi San or was imitated from one of the other dramas about him.
Easily the most interesting relationship in the drama is the king & HGY. I always feel there's more magic & chemistry going on there than there ever is between the king & Seong-yeon. :))

• 3 months later...
Guest sipo

@avonmarissa : i read a post of yours a few pages back...you said that Lady Hyegyeong wrote in her memoir that actually in real life, Yi San was not interested in Hyoui, that's why she didn't bear any children. it's so sad..and somebody also wrote that because of her desire (or maybe loneliness) Hyoui had a phantom pregnancy,,is that also true (i mean in real life)?????
but,,how come if the real Yi San didn't really have any interest to Hyoui, he needed 12 years apart to take a new wife (concubine Wonbin)?...
@turan_dot : great,,you've watched this many time..i have this kind of particular scene that maybe you know from what episode it was..It was when Queen Hyoui said to the King Jeongjo "I wish, if I get another chance, I can give a birth of a son that look like you"...do you know from what ep this scene was?...King Jeongjo also had a flashback to this scene when he pondered/felt sad that Queen Hyoui was blamed for the miscarriage of Wonbin concubine..

@sipo
 Sorry, Yi San is a long one -- I don't know it well enough to say what happened in which episode & I hope I never do or they can come & take me away.  :)) I think that scene takes place during the palace uprising, about halfway thru. The queen thinks they're all facing death because an army is marching on the capital, so she talks as if her life is over.  Sound right? It's probably around the 35-40 episodes somewhere.
BTW, can I ask why you're interested in that specific moment in the drama?

Archived