Soompi Mac User Group

j79

hi how do you dl gifs on to your macs? cause i keep having to get ppl to email me gifs cause my msn is too old school oh! and is there a version of msn OTHER than microsoft messenger that works on macs cause my msn sucks!

are you d/ling emoticon gifs? or just regular gifs? cuz all you really need to do is just drag and drop onto your desktop. as for another program other than microsoft messenger, you can d/l aMSN or Adium. I use adium. You can log into more than just msn (like aim, yahoo, icq, etc). You can customize the way it looks as well and d/l skins and sounds for it to make it your own. I find it more convenient with their tabbing feature. Basically, it is just one window with multiple tabs if you are talking to more than one person, instead of 10 million windows open for each conversation. http://www.adiumx.com

Yay I'm a MUG now :lol: I bought my very first mac today - a 15.4" 2.4ghz MacBook Pro ^^ I'm still learning a lot though... Like I freaked out when my mac froze while I was setting up Mac OS X which I don't think there was a need to in the first place... Yeah I'm stupid -___-

congrats on your new mac! welcome to MUG

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest MUGETSU

Crap. That's what I was planning to buy. Bleh.

I want a macbook, but I've heard horrid reviews about it when it comes to gaming (Sims 2, Civ 4 etc), what model would be recommendable in terms of gaming?

sorry...Mac isn't THAT bad for gaming.

It's just that most games aren't released for the Mac right away ya know?

You gotta wait a while and sometimes they won't come to Mac at all. CoD4 is coming out soon though if you're into that stuff.

Blizzard always releases on both so you'll be sure to be able to play SC2 when it comes out lol

I have Civ 4 and Doom 3 on my Mac and they run great for me.

--- oh I have a G5, not a Macbook. My sister has a G4 iBook and she was able to run a few games on it pretty good...Delta Force: Black Hawk Down, Halo, Civ 3.

Hi guys :)

I'm one step away from getting the 13-inch black macbook with the following specs:

* 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

* 2GB memory

* 250GB hard drive1

* Double-layer SuperDrive

However i was reading through the forums and i realised that clubbox can't be used on the macbook unless i run windows on the mac. I'm quite confused about how this works. I've read this http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/bootcamp.html but i still have quite a bit of questions/queries.

Will running windows on mac slow the system down?

What's native speed?

Am i allowed to run/use only one operating system on the macbook each time?

One reason why i want to get a macbook so badly is because of the lousy windows vista. Is it feasible to run vista on my macbook then? Will it crash or something? :sweatingbullets:

And er, i'm wondering if anyone's currently using their clubbox on a macbook?

Thank you so much for your help! I'm quite an IT noob. >___<;;

would appreciate whatever comments i can get since i can't quite decide if i should really get a macbook :s

Will running windows on mac slow the system down?

What's native speed?

Am i allowed to run/use only one operating system on the macbook each time?

One reason why i want to get a macbook so badly is because of the lousy windows vista. Is it feasible to run vista on my macbook then? Will it crash or something? :sweatingbullets:

And er, i'm wondering if anyone's currently using their clubbox on a macbook?

Thank you so much for your help! I'm quite an IT noob. >___<;;

would appreciate whatever comments i can get since i can't quite decide if i should really get a macbook :s

You have to understand that you have to have a hard copy of Windows in order to run Boot Camp. Also, I've heard that Parallels or VMware Fusion are better programs because you can run both systems simultaneously? But I'm not an expert on the topic either...

Guest erure

I purchased vmware fusion and windows vista home premium yesterday~ It burned a hole in my wallet but it was soooo worth it... I know some people are like "That's so stupid to have Windows on a Mac" but since I just became a MUG, there are things I still have to get adjusted to (like not being able to upload or do much on cyworld or being able to download using Korean programs :() >_<

The problem is, after I installed all the stuff mentioned above, my external hard drive seems to be unrecognizable :( Can anybody help me please? T____T

Thank you in advance >////////<

Guest Xarthan

With the new release of the macbooks I just purchase a previous gen black macbook refurb from apple. Will arrive on Monday!

Plus I ordered a 320GB drive from amazon! Will have lotta storage! W()()T!!!

With the new release of the macbooks I just purchase a previous gen black macbook refurb from apple. Will arrive on Monday!

Plus I ordered a 320GB drive from amazon! Will have lotta storage! W()()T!!!

how much did you pay for it (the refurb) if you don't mind me asking

i second that, Final Cut Pro!

I am helping subbing now and REALLY need a good subtitle programme for Mac, is this the BEST and only one available? Don't want to mess it up with me using Mac and the other team PC and when I hand in my word, EGADS!! Would it better to use Subtitle Workshop on Parellel Desktop?

Thanks

Guest Xarthan

how much did you pay for it (the refurb) if you don't mind me asking

Just got it couple hours ago. It was $1049, suppose to come with 1GB of RAM, but it came with 2GB instead! no dead pixels too! W00T!!!

I am helping subbing now and REALLY need a good subtitle programme for Mac, is this the BEST and only one available? Don't want to mess it up with me using Mac and the other team PC and when I hand in my word, EGADS!! Would it better to use Subtitle Workshop on Parellel Desktop?

Thanks

If you are just going to sub without editing the video, you're prob better off using another program. I'm unsure about subbing since I haven't done it before.

Guest plumerias

Hey, I'm looking for a new laptop and I kinda wanna get a mac =) but I want some opinions.

If you have a mac laptop and use a program to run windows on it, can you answer some questions for me? ^^

1. Which mac do you have? How much did you get it for & how long ago did you get it?

2. What program do you use to run windows? How do you like it? Hows the speed, crashing, etc.? How much was it?

3. Overall, do you recommend it?

Thanks guys :D I really want a mac, but I want to play games on it too so I need windows.

I hope I'm posting this in the appropriate thread >_<

Guest Xarthan

Hey, I'm looking for a new laptop and I kinda wanna get a mac =) but I want some opinions.

If you have a mac laptop and use a program to run windows on it, can you answer some questions for me? ^^

1. Which mac do you have? How much did you get it for & how long ago did you get it?

2. What program do you use to run windows? How do you like it? Hows the speed, crashing, etc.? How much was it?

Thanks guys :D I really want a mac, but I want to play games on it too so I need windows.

I hope I'm posting this in the appropriate thread >_<

1. I have both the Macbook Pro and a Macbook. MBP was for 2500 and the MB was for 1050. I got my MBP about 6 months and the MB just got it today.

2. I use parallels. It does what I want it to do (aka run Microsoft Outlook and Internet Explorer) Speed is okay, but there's a % slowdown, maybe 20%. It was about 100 bucks

What kind of games do you want to play on windows? If you want to play 3D Games you'll need to get a MBP as it has a dedicated video card. If so I would run windows via Bootcamp, which will make windows run at native speed, plus its free. But you'll need to reboot ever time you want to switch.

Guest erure

1. I bought a MacBook Pro very recently for over $2000

2. I use vmware fusion. I got it for $40 at my school (education discount) and I got it maybe a week ago. It's pretty good - hasn't crashed (yet). But it took many tries to get the software to recognize the program CD...

3. I haven't used Parallels or Boot Camp so I can't compare but it does what I need it to do and it was a lot cheaper than Parallels (because of the education discount).

Guest MUGETSU

Congrats Xarthan, i've heard stories on other forums where people got free upgrades on their refurbished macs when ordering them from Apple.

Refurb is definitely the way to buy things nowadays.

Guest seriatim_*

QUESTION. for those who have leopard is it worth getting it now? or should i wait a little more? i've been hearing that leopards has a lot of problems and such.

and also, my macbook pro has gotta a little laggy, like when i have limewire open it laggssss. is there something wrong with my laptop? or is it just 'cause limewire is a big program that it lags? it also lags when i open microsoft word. lol uhm yeah that's all thanks, :)

Guest bigfatkelly

The battery life for my MacBook sucks.

It doesn't even last an hour.

No more warranty...

How much would it cost to replace the battery?

Just got it couple hours ago. It was $1049, suppose to come with 1GB of RAM, but it came with 2GB instead! no dead pixels too! W00T!!!

What do you mean

no dead pixels?

sorry, Im illiterate when it comes to tech terminology, haha

Guest cocoa

I've forgotten if I posted this, but I bought a 13" white Macbook in December. I like it, except sometimes Firefox and Safari freeze whenever I go to sites with a long list of content and I have to use force quit often. I also installed bootcamp but clubbox still doesn't work on XP, oh well.

The transition from Windows to Mac Osx was very easy :D

Archived