Anyone Know French?

Guest yonsu

Guest whiteguy

Canadian French has diffrences then the French spoken in France.

I'd also think French spoken in Africa will be different.

@Lazyasian

Je suis de Canada, mais j'étudie le français parisienne, non québécois

I think it's it's better written as,

J'habite ou Canada or J'habite a Canada.

As je suis would be I am ____, which would be written as 'Je suis un Canadian.'

Everyone was correcting eachother so I thought I'd join in. haha

Major part of French speaking is, BE CONFIDENT. Something I've learned by using French in real life, is if you actually just speak it, without thinking too hard about it, it flows nicely.

Something else I don't understand, pourqoui l'anglais ces't tres facile pour tout de French-Canadians? It seems like Quebecers with French as a first language have great understanding of English very easily. Anyone explain this?

• Replies 575
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Whiteguy

You will notice that French-Canadians of our generation are getting heck better in English even in speaking, without having any accent at all...

I was born in 87 and I started to learn English ever since 4th grade of primary school... Nowadays, kids born in the 2000s have to learn English almost in kindergarten hahahaha... There's also a lot of English shows/movies/whatever here so it's like our everyday thing to hear and get used to it. Montreal city is where you would see a lot of very very good English speakers (and of course they're also good in French). Mostly in downtown Montreal, that's where we would use English over French... well I speak in English with people there... haha... :lol:

Also it's easier to learn English when our French is our first language than the other way around. English has a whole lot more simple ways of building a sentence, writing a text and all that compared to French that has a freaking deep grammatical level and vocabulary. It's all left to the accents... French Canadians interact a lot with English speakers as well and that REALLY helps us at getting better in speaking. I remember a hockey player from Québec who had a very funny strong accent when he spoke in English (he didn't even go to school)... 20 years later after having only English speaking teammates with him, he speaks like an American... Hahaha! That's how it is here, we grow up with English people, there are so many of them here nowadays.

@LazyAsian: Je te corrige! :

"J'ai 17 ans maintenant, je ne veux pas devenir très vieille"

"Je suis du Canada (ou "Je suis Canadienne" ou "Je viens du Canada"), mais j'étudie le français parisien ("français" est masculin!!), et non le français québécois"

@Whiteguy: Je te corrige sur ta correction!

"J'habite AU Canada (et non : "ou"/"à")

"Je suis Canadien"

"Pourquoi l'anglais est-il très facile pour les Québécois ? (Le terme "Canadien Français" n'est plus utilisé depuis le milieu du 20e siècle...)

@NPB-XK

Je suis d'accord avec toi! Ma famille parle vraiment "le québécois" lol, alors j'ai appris l'anglais à l'école, en immersion anglaise (moitié français moitié anglais tous les jours pendant 2 ans) et maintenant, même mon chum est anglophone lol

C'est vrai qu'on a l'avantage si notre langue maternelle est le français, c'est une langue tellement compliquée! Il y a tellement de gens francophones qui ne peuvent même pas écrire convenablement en français, j'imagine pas ceux qui essaient de l'apprendre comme seconde langue, ça doit être tellement difficile!!

Guest Leopoldine

Je suis d'accord.

Je suis en Terminale (12th grade) et j'ai commencé à vraiment apprendre l'anglais en 6ème (comme tout les petits français je pense.) et un tout petit peu en primaire.

Et ben, je peux vous dire que l'anglais, c'est plus facile que le français. Mon anglais écrit est bon (grâce aux fanfics haha! c'est mon petit secret... chuuut....)

J'ai globalement une bonne orthographe mais j'ai parfois du mal à faire la distinction "tout" et "tous" par exemple ou avec les règles de conjugaison et toute la grammaire, j'ai vraiment haït la grammaire en primaire! Lol

Le pire: même maintenant, beaucoup d'étudiants n'arrivent pas à écrire correctement français et font de grosse fautes de base. ( j'avais vu ça au infos.)

Si c'est pour dire, même pour nous français, la langue (la grammaire surtout) n'est pas facile.

L'anglais est plus facile (je trouve) niveau grammaire et conjugaison ( on se casse pas la tête avec toutes les terminaisons...) bien qu'elle a comme toute langue ses propres difficultés. De plus, l'anglais est partout maintenant, difficile de ne pas l'utiliser.

Soo Good luck to everyone learning French! I think I should have written in english... oh too lazy.

Ouah , j'ai écrit un vrai roman :P

Guest whiteguy

@Whiteguy

You will notice that French-Canadians of our generation are getting heck better in English even in speaking, without having any accent at all...

I was born in 87 and I started to learn English ever since 4th grade of primary school... Nowadays, kids born in the 2000s have to learn English almost in kindergarten hahahaha... There's also a lot of English shows/movies/whatever here so it's like our everyday thing to hear and get used to it. Montreal city is where you would see a lot of very very good English speakers (and of course they're also good in French). Mostly in downtown Montreal, that's where we would use English over French... well I speak in English with people there... haha... :lol:

Also it's easier to learn English when our French is our first language than the other way around. English has a whole lot more simple ways of building a sentence, writing a text and all that compared to French that has a freaking deep grammatical level and vocabulary. It's all left to the accents... French Canadians interact a lot with English speakers as well and that REALLY helps us at getting better in speaking. I remember a hockey player from Québec who had a very funny strong accent when he spoke in English (he didn't even go to school)... 20 years later after having only English speaking teammates with him, he speaks like an American... Hahaha! That's how it is here, we grow up with English people, there are so many of them here nowadays.

Makes sense.

I always assumed English would be harder for French speakers to learn, as my teachers always tell me it's (English )one of the hardest language spoken.

I wish French was more widely spoken in Ottawa / Hull area, even when I cross the river everyone speaks to me in English! I love speaking French, and after this semsester I have to drop it forever. ): I'll hopefully find someone way to keep my french up, as I'd love French.

French is your first language? Or did you speak it before grade four? If not, Quebec schools are far better in teaching, because your English is better then mine.

Makes sense.

I always assumed English would be harder for French speakers to learn, as my teachers always tell me it's (English )one of the hardest language spoken.

I wish French was more widely spoken in Ottawa / Hull area, even when I cross the river everyone speaks to me in English! I love speaking French, and after this semsester I have to drop it forever. ): I'll hopefully find someone way to keep my french up, as I'd love French.

French is your first language? Or did you speak it before grade four? If not, Quebec schools are far better in teaching, because your English is better then mine.

I started to learn French in kindergarten... Before that, I only knew some random Asian languages... My parents and uncles didn't even teach me French to get myself prepared for kindergarten (when I wanna talk with other kids). Later on, French has become my best language in both speaking and writing because of the whole studies in French schools of course.

Oh no way is my English better than yours! You probably just write and speak in popular way (informal, popular dialect) and then you got used to it... If you look around on the internet for some French people speaking and writing in French, you could make yourself look a whole lot better than them because they write like this: mdr chuis bcp plus megre kavant!

Hahaha ok that was a random example but you could even see worse than that. :lol:

^

J'avoue que le trois quarts des gens qui "chattent" ou écrivent sur msn écrivent en abréviations lol, moi incluse... Je crois que ça n'aide pas vraiment à mieux maîtriser la langue, en fait, les gens qui ont de la difficulté à écrire en français devraient se contenter d'écrire des phrases complètes lorsqu'ils "chattent" pour se pratiquer à bien écrire... mon humble avis loll

if you have mastered french, i truly believe you can tackle many languages with relative ease. mini cooper is mind boggling confusing.

english is one of the easier languages to learn if not the easiest. its universal and more forgiving. however being almost limitless i guess you can say it is the hardest language to learn content wise.

Oh and I'd like to add that if anyone has seen some French Canadians struggling so hard in English, that's probably because they just lack educations and not because English is too hard for us... :lol: Even a French Canadian caveman can master English through our normal current education. If not, they can just call the famous mind-boggling number "TWO-FIVE-FOUR-SIX-OH-ONE-ONE" (but nowadays they gotta call that number with the whole regional code hahaha making the commercial 2 seconds longer... 514-254-6011...) Now I feel like making the ad for them.

The commercial makes me laugh though... The guy was talking to a girl in English and then the girl didn't even answer his question properly... she only went like "Now I know! 254-6011!" with a big smile on her face... That commercial was ridiculous, it didn't make sense at all. I wonder how many people failed in that institute... But rumors said that they were really good...

^

J'avoue que le trois quarts des gens qui "chattent" ou écrivent sur msn écrivent en abréviations lol, moi incluse... Je crois que ça n'aide pas vraiment à mieux maîtriser la langue, en fait, les gens qui ont de la difficulté à écrire en français devraient se contenter d'écrire des phrases complètes lorsqu'ils "chattent" pour se pratiquer à bien écrire... mon humble avis loll

C'est vrai! Puis ceux qui savent s'ajuster pour écrire de manière dégeulasse sur internet et ensuite écrire de manière écrivain doivent être pas mal bons pour ajuster leurs habitudes! Mais malgré cela, plusieurs gens ont de la misère à ajuster leurs habitudes hahaha parfois ils finissent même par renverser leurs habitudes sans y vouloir faire ---> Écrire tout laid à l'école et écrire tout beau dans l'internet.

Guest whiteguy

if you have mastered french, i truly believe you can tackle many languages with relative ease. mini cooper is mind boggling confusing.

english is one of the easier languages to learn if not the easiest. its universal and more forgiving. however being almost limitless i guess you can say it is the hardest language to learn content wise.

Most languages are put in three tiers.

Tier one being easy languages to learn from Enlgish. i.e Spanish, Italian, other languages (Romance, Germanic?)

Tier two, being meduim amount of difficulty, i.e Swahili , I think Urdu and Hindi, ... ?

Tier three being harder languages to learn, i.e Russian, Arabic, Chinese, Basque, Icelandic, Japanese, Korean? ect..

I forget where I read this, and I'm so tired I forget what my point of showing this is..

I'd like to learn Spanish, as it doubles over as Italian and Portuguese, would I have a high difficulty learning Spanish knowing English as my native tongue, Irish as a second language, and French as a third?

Oh and I'd like to add that if anyone has seen some French Canadians struggling so hard in English, that's probably because they just lack educations and not because English is too hard for us... :lol: Even a French Canadian caveman can master English through our normal current education. If not, they can just call the famous mind-boggling number "TWO-FIVE-FOUR-SIX-OH-ONE-ONE" (but nowadays they gotta call that number with the whole regional code hahaha making the commercial 2 seconds longer... 514-254-6011...) Now I feel like making the ad for them.

The commercial makes me laugh though... The guy was talking to a girl in English and then the girl didn't even answer his question properly... she only went like "Now I know! 254-6011!" with a big smile on her face... That commercial was ridiculous, it didn't make sense at all. I wonder how many people failed in that institute... But rumors said that they were really good...

C'est vrai! Puis ceux qui savent s'ajuster pour écrire de manière dégeulasse sur internet et ensuite écrire de manière écrivain doivent être pas mal bons pour ajuster leurs habitudes! Mais malgré cela, plusieurs gens ont de la misère à ajuster leurs habitudes hahaha parfois ils finissent même par renverser leurs habitudes sans y vouloir faire ---> Écrire tout laid à l'école et écrire tout beau dans l'internet.

LOL Institut linguistique!!!! xD Ça me fait rire à chaque fois!! Tout le monde connaît par coeur le numéro!! C'est de la propagande anglaise :P jokkeee la lol

Je te dirais que oui, sûrement que mes habitudes sur le chat influencent mal mes travaux xD mais je crois maîtriser assez bien la langue en général, si j'ai des problèmes, c'est en orthographe, à force de mal écrire les mots... :s

@whiteguy: Well my first language is French, my second language Portuguese, my third language English, my fourth language Spanish... So yes, it's possible to learn Spanish after all that xD Si tu es bon en français, alors l'espagnol sera facile pour toi!

Guest christelle-g

Canadian French has diffrences then the French spoken in France.

And the French spoken in France is different from the French spoken in the overseas...I mean by French Islands because I'm one of the French Islanders. ^^

I would consider myself as lucky, because I grew up in a country where English is one of the official language and started to learn English in primary school (CE2 pour être exacte) so I don't have the French accent.

I hate the french abbreviations on internet! >.<

Guest mangchilo

Most languages are put in three tiers.

Tier one being easy languages to learn from Enlgish. i.e Spanish, Italian, other languages (Romance, Germanic?)

Tier two, being meduim amount of difficulty, i.e Swahili , I think Urdu and Hindi, ... ?

Tier three being harder languages to learn, i.e Russian, Arabic, Chinese, Basque, Icelandic, Japanese, Korean? ect..

I forget where I read this, and I'm so tired I forget what my point of showing this is..

I'd like to learn Spanish, as it doubles over as Italian and Portuguese, would I have a high difficulty learning Spanish knowing English as my native tongue, Irish as a second language, and French as a third?

@whiteguy: Well my first language is French, my second language Portuguese, my third language English, my fourth language Spanish... So yes, it's possible to learn Spanish after all that xD Si tu es bon en français, alors l'espagnol sera facile pour toi!

Hey, I was just peeking in here randomly out of curiosity. I don't actually study or speak French. >.>

It's true what the other poster said. If you're good at French, you'll have no trouble understanding a lot of written Spanish, at least. If you want proof of that, I could understand something like 80% of the conversation in French on this page and maybe more without knowing more than a few words of actual French because I know Spanish. A lot of the grammar and vocabulary are very similar between Spanish and French, so you'd just need to learn all the specific Spanish words and rules to be able to speak rather than just understand. The best part is that spelling and reading are much easier in Spanish than in French. I can hardly understand a thing when I hear people speaking French, though--especially from Quebec. Two of my suitemates like to chat in French (one with a Parisian accent and one Quebec French), and I don't understand more than maybe one word in fifty from either of them when they do.

As for crossing over with Portuguese using Spanish, since Spanish and Portuguese are very very similar (if this were the Portuguese thread, I'd probably understand more like 90% of it), the combination of English, French, and Spanish would make reading most Portuguese and understanding a lot of it no problem for you even without actually learning Portuguese. There are just some basic Portuguese verbs you have to learn that are harder to immediately recognize from Spanish to understand basic conversations (falar vs. hablar, fazer vs. hacer, etc.) and some different pronouns (você).

Regardless, once you've reached a high level in one romance language, the hardest part is done and any new romance languages will be easy to pick up as long as you watch out for potential mix-ups. It shouldn't be difficult for you, no, because you wouldn't actually be starting at ground zero again. English also helps with Spanish sometimes; the number of cognates is pretty high and makes understanding a lot of new words easier. Add French and English cognates together and voila! you can understand a lot of vocabulary right off the bat, all while having a better reference than English for Spanish grammar because you know French.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Liandon

Bonjour mes amies.

>w<

Tu es étudier français maintenant et il est trés amuser!

J`aime apprendre des langues.

Quand je faut aider, je viendrai ici.

^Is that correct?

xDD

//Bonsoir, je suis tres fatiguer. :lol:

@whiteguy

Japanese, Korean - they aren't hard to learn compared to other languages.

Cantonese and Mandarin are hard. x)

In comparison to other European languages like Russian, they are easy.

English is hard, where the phoenetics are odd where words are not spelt as they are pronounced, although I don't know if it is, seeing as English IS my first language.

If you study hard, both the grammar and diction, you won't have an issue in learning languages.

+Practise makes perfect, you know~

Guest pandapple*

Salut!! Je suis trés heureux que j'ai trouvé ce sujet. En ce moment, j'étudie le français au lycee à le bac, je trouve que le français est trés difficile et mon accent n'est pas bien. Mais j'essaie de améliorer mon français et écrire plus français, bien que ce n'est pas tellement réussi.

Alors, je ne sais pas si vous comprenez mon paragraphe ><

Mais pouvez-vous corriger des erreurs pour moi?? merci !!

j'admire n'importe qui sait parler le français :}}} hahaha

edit:// also can someone help me translate this question, , , , "Retrouvez-vous dans le publicités les rôles <normaux> des hommes et des femmes?"

Guest picobot

On ne peut pas classifier la difficulté d’une langue si facilement. C’est très subjectif et le procès est différent pour tout le monde. Par exemple, plusieurs considèrent le russe et le coréen difficile mais pour un Bulgare et un Japonais respectivement, c’est probablement plus simple. Je ne pense que l’exception principale est l’anglais, parce que le monde le considère une « langue internationale » et il y a beaucoup de ressources et de média disponible en anglais. Il est facile qu’on puisse se plonger dans l’anglais, même si le pays d’où on vient n’est pas anglophone.

Je suis toujours en train d’apprendre français donc excusez-moi pour les erreurs.

edit:// also can someone help me translate this question, , , , "Retrouvez-vous dans le publicités les rôles <normaux> des hommes et des femmes?"

Ça veut dire "Find 'normal' roles of men and women in advertising." I'm assuming the question is something like describing and contrasting what the typical gender roles are portrayed as in advertisements.

@Liandon On doit dire « Tu étudies maintenant le français et c’est très amusant. … Quand j’ai besoin d’aide, je viens ici. » (You’re studying French right now and it’s very funny. … When I need help I come here.) <- Is that what you want to say? My French is not perfect but I’ve been studying it a very long time.

Also when you say “mes amies” it implies that your friends only consist of females. :]

Guest Leopoldine

Picobot, ton français est vachement bon ! Bravo :) tu viens d'où, si c'est pas indiscret?

Je crois que tu as voulu dire "processus" au lieu de "procès" , non?

Je suis tout à fait d'accord avec toi. Tous les non anglophones doivent apprendre l'anglais pour leurs futures carrières, c'est indispensable de nos jours et avec les médias ( musique, série TV, cinéma etc...) c'est facile d'avoir de l'anglais à porter de main. Bien sur, pour la compréhension orale, c'est autre chose. On peut très bien savoir lire et écrire en anglais mais avoir du mal à comprendre les Anglophones quand ils parlent (ce qui est mon cas ><)

Pandapple, I'll correct some mistakes:

"je suis très heureuse d'avoir trouver ce sujet ( although "que j'ai trouvé ce sujet" is correct, it sounds strange so I change it). En ce moment, j'étudie le français au lycée ... (I don't know what you mean by à le bac), je trouve que le français est très difficile et que mon accent n'est pas bon/bien. Mais j'essaie d'améliorer mon français et d'écrire plus de français bien que ce n'est pas tellement réussi.

Just some minor mistakes but it's perfectly understandable.

"J'admire n'importe qui qui sait parler français"

Voilà! Good luck learning french, I know it's hard :)

Guest pandapple*

Ça veut dire "Find 'normal' roles of men and women in advertising." I'm assuming the question is something like describing and contrasting what the typical gender roles are portrayed as in advertisements.

ah, thank you very much!! yeah, that makes more sense than what i thought it was:}

Pandapple, I'll correct some mistakes:

"je suis très heureuse d'avoir trouver ce sujet ( although "que j'ai trouvé ce sujet" is correct, it sounds strange so I change it). En ce moment, j'étudie le français au lycée ... (I don't know what you mean by à le bac), je trouve que le français est très difficile et que mon accent n'est pas bon/bien. Mais j'essaie d'améliorer mon français et d'écrire plus de français bien que ce n'est pas tellement réussi.

Just some minor mistakes but it's perfectly understandable.

"J'admire n'importe qui qui sait parler français"

Voilà! Good luck learning french, I know it's hard :)

Thank you for the encouragement! :}} i'm glad at least some of what i wrote was understood^^

Yeah, i was trying to say i am studying french for my A-levels (a national exam in England) but i didn't know how to say that, and i thought 'bac' was the french equilvalent cause of the 'baccalaureat' maybe(?). . . :s

Guest Leopoldine

Oh okay. The bac is the national exam we have to pass ( and get) at the end of high school in France in order to get into a University. hehe I'm passing it this year... Hope I'll get it. I guess that's the equivalent for your national exam. Does it mean you're a senior ?

In that case, it'd be: "j'étudie le français au lycée pour le bac."

Don't hesitate if you have any questions.

Guest pandapple*

Oh i see, good luck with you exam!! :))

No, i'm not a senior yet, because i have 2 more years before i go to uni, so i'm in my second to last year of high school at the moment.

i think i'll definately come here when i have french problems!! :lol:

Archived