Singing Tips & Recording Questions

JohnnyMoon

Guest Fook You
whenever i upload an instrumental on audicity, and record with it, and i play what i recorded, my voice is always...off >_<

like my voice lags behind by like 3 seconds or something.. how do i fix this?

Sound card latency. There's no real way around it. The sound you input gets addressed to the RAM from the sound card, then sent back to be processed into digital sound, then back to the RAM as memory, then back to the sound card to finally be deciphered onto the computer.

Guest kayzpal
It doesn't work for all noises, generally for noises that are consistent, like buzzing noises. I haven't tried with certain noises that appear only once, but you can give it a go :)

What you do is, highlight part of the recording where there is only the noise you want to remove. It doesn't matter how much you highlight, but it works better if you highlight more.

Then click on Noise Removal --> Get Noise Profile.

Now Audacity should have the noise recognised.

Okay then you highlight the part where you want the noise removed.

Then click on Noise Removal, and you should be able to click any button in the Step 2 part of Noise Removal.

Click on Remove Noise.

Voila, the noise should be gone :D

Yeah! Finally!

Thank you so much for your help, girl~ xD Now I know what to do. :D

Guest JWonNie

you mean recording a part for a collab or mixing?

As for recording your part, you just import an instrumental or the original song into audacity, use headphones to listen to the music and sing only your parts. when you're done , you erase the instrumental or the song and just leave your vocal track (perfectly timed! ha ha).

you can use Audacity, it's free and not that difficult to use.

I've never mixed a song but i think I get the jist of it.... :phew:

to mix a collab: Once you have saved all the different parts on your computer, you just import them into audacity(you push project on the menu and select import audio, has to be in MP3 form I think... ) (all will be on separate tracks, but in the same project file.) you probably have to edit them so that they sound "alike" since people have different mic qualities you need to "minimize" the difference. Now how you do that, is all up to you. (some might be too loud, or too low, you might need to remove noise, etc.... you just adjust each one according to what you want the results to be....)

anyway, that's how I'd do it. but I haven't :) ....so, maybe mixers have another method they use? .... please do tell :D ....

Thank you~~~~~~~~~~~

So much big help!! << haha, grammatically wrong... but :]

Wow, a lot of people were asking about the thing I asked xD

-jae1

Guest twinklefish

Question about vibrato.

Do you get this kind of... feeling in your stomach? When you do it? Because I've recently developed a vibrato [not consistent though] and It gives this vibrating-ish feeling kind of near my stomach so I'm wondering if I'm doing it right.

Guest rainette

Hey guys... I'm into singing these few days and I tend to do some recordings too.

But I find my voice baby-ish and soft. Totally different from what I hear with my ears. When I sing I hear my voice lower than the ones I recorded. Any ideas?

Guest twinklefish

Your singing will always sound different to you because of head cavities and whatnot. So what you hear in the recording is probably what other people hear. Your voice might sound richer and deeper to you, but what other people hear is that baby-ish soft voice.

Guest r0mantisteg0ist

i have a question regarding recording and mics and soundcards and whatnot XD

ok, so i used to have a shure mic, but due to the bad quality of my soundcard, i switched to an usb headset.

the usb headset records A LOT of noise, and when i use noise remover, i sound cold and far away (electronic, almost)

does anyone know if i have some settings wrong or how to fix it?

like, how do i NOT record the noise?

AND... i was considering buying a soundcard

just a simple one that'll give good/crisp recording quality

my budget isn't high ><;

any recommendations?

edit//

hah, while i'm at it

does anyone know how to record computer sound output? :]

Guest --KagedKore787--
i have a question regarding recording and mics and soundcards and whatnot XD

ok, so i used to have a shure mic, but due to the bad quality of my soundcard, i switched to an usb headset.

the usb headset records A LOT of noise, and when i use noise remover, i sound cold and far away (electronic, almost)

does anyone know if i have some settings wrong or how to fix it?

like, how do i NOT record the noise?

AND... i was considering buying a soundcard

just a simple one that'll give good/crisp recording quality

my budget isn't high ><;

any recommendations?

edit//

hah, while i'm at it

does anyone know how to record computer sound output? :]

it's impossible to completely remove noise and leave the audio intact as there is no way now for the program to differentiate between them. Noise spans a huge frequency and you sounding cold and far away probably took away the mid/hi frequencies. The only way to not record noise is to completely have it minimized and that's achieved by buying a better soundcard suited for recording. I think the cheapest ones come $199.

Guest Sunkiss*Nhixxie

hi! so i'm pretty new in mixing, and i'm

curious about this noise removal option

in audacity. could somebody fully explain

to me how it works and the steps to remove

noise from my recordings? thanks so much

in advanc! xD

no need. ^_^ found it up there!

Guest *lyrynne*

question...

when i sing high songs i can reach it...that's not a prob of couse...

this is...

when i sing those song with a mic...i can't reach it anymore and i get tired easily...

It's either you're not really listening to your voice when you sing without a mic or you are singing differently when you use a microphone. Maybe you're using up too much energy when you use a mic? It should really sound the same since it's still your voice. x:

Guest limbo189

i just have a question about breathing... im sure someone else probably asked but i dont wanna serach cause theres soo many pages... hahaha

what are some good excercises to expand your breathing capacity

Guest haneul<3

A quick question--

Generally, is it easier to sing with your chest voice or head voice? I read somewhere (in this thread) that people generally assume their chest voice as being their "normal/real" singing voice, so should it be easier to sing with your chest voice?

Guest ColdSummerSky69

quick question ~

im using audacity and..it wont let me play the instrumentals i downloaded from soompi..it says " audacity did not recognize this type of file"

if i have to change the type of file or somethin..can somehow tell me how to do it? x_X im so newb about these stuff

help me out please~

Guest twinklefish
A quick question--

Generally, is it easier to sing with your chest voice or head voice? I read somewhere (in this thread) that people generally assume their chest voice as being their "normal/real" singing voice, so should it be easier to sing with your chest voice?

Most girls I know automatically sing in head voice and seem to have problem with chest voice. I'm not sure why. It's really up to the person. Chest voice is your speaking voice and has a more rich/full sound, but head voice sounds prettier sometimes so maybe a lot of girls switch to head voice to sound better?

Personally I had problems with head voice and always sung it incorrectly so it was falsetto-ish [which is bad for your voice] I always opted for chest voice. But I joined choir and I'm first soprano so I kind of had to develop a better head voice or be drowned out by the tenor, bass, and alto. XD

Question about vibrato.

Do you get this kind of... feeling in your stomach? When you do it? Because I've recently developed a vibrato [not consistent though] and It gives this vibrating-ish feeling kind of near my stomach so I'm wondering if I'm doing it right.

vibrato is really singing from your diaphragm

so ya, if you get it near your stomach your probably doing it right

Guest gummy bears!!

hi i use audacity and im having exporting my files to mp3 because i need lame

and whenever i try to get it it come up with "lame is not accessible. you might not have

permission to use this network resource. contact the administrator of this server to find out

if you have access permissons."

how can i get audacity to work for me?

Guest fightforfreedom

Hmm... Not sure if this qualifys as a question. But is it normal that somedays i just can't sing and hit certain notes. A couple days ago i tried singing a couple songs and i couldn't reach any notes that required me to use my head voice. So i just sang everything in crappy chest voice.

so is it normal that i can't use my head voice sometimes and if it is normal what can i do be able to hit those notes again.

P.S i usually do warm up routines before singing and it does help out a little bit but some days i just can't do it...

help help :D

Hmm... Not sure if this qualifys as a question. But is it normal that somedays i just can't sing and hit certain notes. A couple days ago i tried singing a couple songs and i couldn't reach any notes that required me to use my head voice. So i just sang everything in crappy chest voice.

so is it normal that i can't use my head voice sometimes and if it is normal what can i do be able to hit those notes again.

P.S i usually do warm up routines before singing and it does help out a little bit but some days i just can't do it...

help help :D

I think its normal to have "off" days, i might just be assuming but i think other artist also have off days thats why they keep practicing so that they can be more consistent.

I would recommend that you at least do some warm ups before you sing. It'll help loosen up your vocals and give you a little more control over your voice.

From personal experience, if i can do a full warm up it helps me stay on pitch and i feel like i could control my voice more than i normally could; and hit higher notes :x. So for me, warm ups helps A LOT, because sometimes when i dont, my singing just doesnt feel right. And then when everything really doesnt feel right, i'll take the day off and let my vocals rest and then try again the next day.

I haven't had any proper training so i could be all wrong, but i'm planning to take some voice lessons soon so hopefully i'll find out more accurate information. good luck and dont give up!