[Drama 2015] Answer Me 1988 응답하라 1988

czakhareina

[NEWS] TvN ‘Taxi’ special Reply 1988 Episode with Ryu Jun Yeol, Lee Dong Hwi, and other cast members 
To share, please go to: http://eyesonryu.tumblr.com/post/137590391825/

News article by Eyes on RYU | eyesonryu.tumblr.com
Please share with proper credits!
Do not translate to other language without our permission.
Thank you!

After the very successful run of the drama Reply 1988, TvN’s ‘Taxi’ invited Ryu Jun Yeol and Lee Dong Hwi to their program and they filmed this special Reply episode last January 17, 2016.

Ryu Jun Yeol and Lee Dong Hwi boarded on the taxi and roamed around Gangnam Station where the citizens gathered upon seeing them. The popularity of Reply 1988 and their characters can be felt on the spot.

Other than the two actors, Ra Mi Ran, Kim Sun Young, Lee Il Hwa, Kim Sunggyun, and others, also joined them during the filming.

This special 'Taxi’ episode will air on February 2016.

------

Thought only Junyeolie and Dong Hwi will be on this ep!
It's gonna be fun seeing the ahjummas in their fashionable clothes and normal hair hahaha!

I wonder if they'll ask Sunggyun for some gags? XD

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just started to rewatch R88 from ep 1 and it brought sooo many nostalgic feelings. i really dont want this series to end.

I started to notice the small yet impotant details and it makes me fall deeper into the dynamic of TK and DS relationship. Even when she's having crush with JH, TK is always her main priority. for example, the scene where she got nosebleed in TK's room, at that time she was having crush towards JH right? But she still (unconsciously or maybe consciously) stayed at TK's room to make sure TK ate the soup, rather than went back to JH house immediately to have lunch with him together.

1 question, do you guys think there's a difference between DS' crush towards sunwoo and junghwan? We saw at the end she tore a page from her diary, that page was about sunwoo right? Is it really embarassing that she had to tear and throw it away?

wow, i've been never feel so emotional reading netizen comments! agree, disagree, happy, sad, angry, cool down, so many mixed feelin!!

this is why we have forum huh?, to put out our opinion, approval, rejection for discussion! All your thoughts all welcome here, but dont forget that will always be who think similar also opposite! So if you dont like just skip, if someone reply and disagree with your thought just accept it, either you can reply back or just leave them behind! Every ppl hv different mind, heart, and intepretation to see and feel something! be considerate and respect each other.

Also choose your words wisely ;)

LET'S LOVE :heart:

@lyonesse  I agree, even if the midst of her crush she was still spending time with Taek over Junghwan. 

As for the two crushes, SW and JH... I actually think they were about the same type of thing.  The only real difference is JH liked her and SW didn't.  She was in love with the idea of someone loving her. She set up tests for JH to pass and when he didn't, she moved on. They really follow the same pattern from start to finish.  She thought they liked her, they showed they didn't, she was mad/sad, and then she got over it. With JH, she was hurt and felt unworthy of love, but I never got the feeling she was so broke up about JH specifically not loving her. She was just hurt he didn't like her.   When something more important came along (her future) she just moved on to other things. 

To me the big different between the guys and her reaction is with SW and JH she did all sorts of crazy tricks and acted differently to win them over, with Taek she's just herself.  She also did not forget him and the kiss that happened, but ignored that it happen.  That's a huge thing for a girl who only wants love. Anyway, their relationship to me was a natural progression from friendship to love.  

The page was about SW.  Well, I think her being wrong about the crush is embarrassing enough.  Add in he's her sister's boyfriend and that just makes it even worse.  I'd burn it too. 

13 hours ago, kaqueski said:

Reply 1988 is a true slice of life type of drama. There were no husband hunt in the beginning because all the clues point out that husband is Taek shown very early. If you look at each of the 5 sammundong kid individually, 1988 is the period of time where:

1. JH told his one-side-love story and how it bottles up and never really bear fruit because of his hesitation
2. In contrast, Sunwoo has his first love who is Bora and he persistently making all effort to see her even for a brief moment(make the timing, so to say). He timed it exactly whenever Bora's home, and if he didn't make that confession that snowy night and continue to pursue afterwards, we wouldn't have SWxBR wedding.
3. Story of DS who's dream of having someone love her, but in the end realize the one who's always beside her is the one she loves. Plus during the time the 5 hang out, you can always see that DS pays attention (be it taking care, motherly, brotherly) to Taek the most. 
4. Taek is the genius baduk who has always love DS in the very beginning when she first reached out to him (he just moved to ssamundong). And how all the adults are so supporting and even the people from baduk club, no one can deny the mutual closeness between DS and Taek. Their love was eventually blossom once Taek cross the line with that dreamy kiss. (this is probably the fate) Sad to say, that JH was the only hindrance here when Taek found out JH likes DS.
5. Dongryong's affection toward his mom and we can see that he finally gets his mom to understand and spend time with him.

So Sunwoo makes his own timing, Taek has his timing, and JH just missed everything.

The production did state in the beginning that there will be no husband hunt and they give out all the clues as straight forward as it is. It is clever of the writer to make the audiences drawn so much into JH that we unconsciously want him to get the girl and all the clues become vague to us because of this.
I was neutral shipper but I become JH/DS ship after episode 18 because I wanted to see he gets the girl because he finally does something about it. But yes, that bitter feeling we all have for JH is natural, and it is realistic. :( 

Im sure there willl be another wave of dissatisfaction coming from international JH/DS fans once the subs are out. Regardless, this drama has this ability to stir all kind of emotions in us, including this bitter feeling. Whether you like this bitter feeling or not, you have to give credits to the PD and writer and the casts to even be able to stir this up, lol. They did a very awesome job! So please don't spread hate and trashing anyone please, your attitude can make it look bad for the whole JH/DS shippers community.

Preach! Agree with every single think you said!

9 hours ago, ditditdutdut said:

You know who's being blinded by the husband hunting? The writer.

If they hadn't wanted to keep the mystery till the end, T/DS would have had a lot more development early on. We would have gotten much more insight into DS's feelings and if she had developed feelings for T then, more viewers could have purchased into the idea of T/DS as OTP. 

Sorry to cut your post. I kind of disagree with your opinion. Actually, imho, T/DS relationship already develops after episode 2.. We got lots of insight between the lines about their relationship. Their relationship might not develop like the usual kdrama romantic gesture, but it's developed naturally from friends, family to lover. You see DS always took special care for Taek even though she was crushing on someone else. There are lots of viewer too who realized this purchased the idea that Taek was the endgame, consider Taek/DS as the OTP, at least from episode 6. That's why the fanwars happened so viciously in 1988. While JH love story was built on typical romantic kdrama gestures, Taek's love story was anti-mainstream. Because of that, there's a lot of people who dislike it too. It's just a matter of point of view and viewers' taste.

4 hours ago, lyonesse said:

1 question, do you guys think there's a difference between DS' crush towards sunwoo and junghwan? We saw at the end she tore a page from her diary, that page was about sunwoo right? Is it really embarassing that she had to tear and throw it away?

SunWoo became her brother in law~ Yes it had to go away! (I don't know if she kept reading and ripping out other pages though.)

Yep, the final episode pretty much shows EXACTLY how I felt about the series. The supposed lead may be Duk Seon, but it was Bo Ra's story that ran away with it. Heck, 75% of the final episode was dedicated to Bo Ra's wedding for heaven's sake! (Part of this reason is of course that Duk Seon/Taek relationship doesn't really have much more hurdles to get over post eps18, but that's another topic for another day since I've got another rant XD)

My biggest gripe? The future husband we see early on could NEVER have been Taek. Over the course of 20 episodes, Taek never, I mean NOT EVEN ONCE raised his voice in anger/annoyance towards Duk Seon. Even when Duk Seon goes out partying, he just storms off silently, only telling her a few choice words in a low voice how he doesn't approve of her doing that. Hell, he follows each and every word of hers to a tee, even telling a white lie that him and Duk Seon aren't dating when he desperately wants to tell the world about it. You think it's THIS Taek who yelled at his future wife just because she was too stupid to read the date on the picture? It just spits out to your face that couldn't have been him, especially with the future husband's appearance being much more subdued and serene in the last leg of the series compared to his early portrayals.

So yeah, the very same reason why I love the Taek/Duk Seon relationship, in that they are the very epitome of childhood friends turned to lovers archetype, is the reason why I really do think the staff decided to change Duk Seon's husband to Taek.

(I still remember Duk Seon's first trip to china, where her acting like your archetypal 'osananajimi' beats out each and every iteration of that character in this season of anime... God I loved her with Taek ever since then, but I digress)

Heck, I don't even think it's because general population likes Taek more than Jun Hwang. If Taek indeed had a lead, it would have been just a fraction at best.

No, from a writing perspective there was going to be a lot of overlap between Bo Ra/Sun Woo and Duk Seon/Jung Hwang, because not only are both similar with the relationship based on 'friction' between the couple, but also that is pretty much the same with 1994/1997. With Bo Ra's story going out of control (I never would've imagined she would have taken so much screentime), Duk Seon's relationship HAD TO HAVE a different dynamic else it was going to be extremely repetitive. So sometime during the story, the staff decided to change gears.

Unfortunately though, the writers cornered themselves to a wall with the early appearances of the future selves. In particular, the way the actors portrayed the future selves had severely limited the number of directions they could've taken the story. You think it's a coincidence we didn't see the future selves until post-break? (compare this to other Answer Me's, where the future parts were more or less spread evenly throughout the entire run of the series)

I mean, look at the first appearance of future Bo Ra... she was so nice that people couldn't have thought it was her. It wasn't lost to me that they were slowly building up to be less aggressive, softening up over the course of time. They could do this because her being the overbearing, dominating Unni is NOT the reason why people liked/loved her character, nor was it central to her identity or her main contribution to the plot.

But for Taek? The second to the last episode said it best with future Duk Seon... Taek's character IS the 'serene buddha'. It's part of the reason why people love him, and it is the reason why the story unfolded the way it did. Them converting his character to something more like the early appearance of future husband, would have nothing been short of character assassination, and would've undermined the entire plot. I mean, the entire reason why it took him 6 years to get to Duk Seon was BECAUSE he was too nice and considerate of Jung Hwang. XD

So while I thoroughly enjoyed Answer Me 1988 as Bo Ra's story and development was a masterpiece, IMO Duk Seon's story wasn't particularly really well written. If you don't believe me, ask yourself, in 1994 China HOW did Duk Seon get back to her hotel room? She didn't have the key, her roomate was still sleeping, and the reason why she went to Taek's room was because she was going to sleep there since the hotel staff aren't to be found.

Any writer worth their salt would've just left it at that and imply that Duk Seon and Taek slept together after the kiss... but somehow she ran away from the situation, got a key from staff that mysteriously came back from break, and then show that she couldn't sleep in her own hotel room because of the kiss? And all these without showing EXACTLY how she got back to her room? Really reeks of subpar writing to me, so I'm not surprised at how they handled Duk Seon's romance.

2 hours ago, trvasohy said:

Sorry to cut your post. I kind of disagree with your opinion. Actually, imho, T/DS relationship already develops after episode 2.. We got lots of insight between the lines about their relationship. Their relationship might not develop like the usual kdrama romantic gesture, but it's developed naturally from friends, family to lover. You see DS always took special care for Taek even though she was crushing on someone else. There are lots of viewer too who realized this purchased the idea that Taek was the endgame, consider Taek/DS as the OTP, at least from episode 6. That's why the fanwars happened so viciously in 1988. While JH love story was built on typical romantic kdrama gestures, Taek's love story was anti-mainstream. Because of that, there's a lot of people who dislike it too. It's just a matter of point of view and viewers' taste.

Yeah. Also, i think quite many people being mislead by the "bickering couple" troupe. While actually, in each Reply series, it's not about who bickers the most, it's more about "Which guy has the closest relationship with the girl?". Shiwon-Yoonjae, Najung-Trash, and then Dukseon-Taek, all of them are couple that comes from that 'closeness' and 'familiarity'. 

It's just in R88, we got a glimpse of JH's intriguing love story first, before we start to see DS-TK's closeness and familiarity. Hence people already hopped on the first ship they found, and grown too attached to it. Actually DS-TK familiarity already started as soon as episode 2 like you said, with how DS pat him on his butt on her way to school and telling him to grow up so they can marry. But people already invested on seeing the other ship so those subtle bonds might not be too apparent at first.

Not gonna lie. Loved everything about this drama except for the main(?!) love triangle. Not sure if I fall with the majority or minority here lol. I was sooo emotionally invested in this that I was so bummed out that Jung Hwan was not the husband. It's like Deja Vu to How I Met Your Mother's ending, where i try to make sense of how things turned out, but I still can't. I even tried to read replies that analyzes the story to Taek's favor, but I still can't make sense of it. I'm just..mad.

Yes. I'm sad that the character I fell in love with, that I watched his every move and emotion, did not get the girl he wants. But I'm not MAD bc of that.

I understand the important thing is who DukSeon truly liked. But in R94, Go Ara admitted at the end that, even when she herself didn't know who the husband was until the last minute, but the PD told her that her character only loves Oppaya and only looks at Oppaya. That's why what the PD really want or how the PD wants to story to end matter to. whether it made sense to others or not. (That's why so many ChilBong lovers cannot accept it).

What I'm MAD about is that the story, or how the show progressed, to show that Taek is the husband didn't make sense, or it showed inconsistency, or almost forced to go that way. (IMO) Why?

• Of course. the hints. of future husband. yes people can change. but personality do not change that easily. Every little detail (except for smoking, and i guess lefthandedness) screams JH more than CT: little cute bickerings, little tantrums that her first love wasn't him, teased her when she called herself pretty, dull expression when she started dancing, read weird mangas/novels etc. Young CT would not bicker with her, would always say she's pretty, would just laugh along with her dancing, basically the opposite of the future husband's personality. Why do this if the storyline/husband was already chosen from beginning? If CT is truly a strong contender, why not just show ambiguity in the future husband's personality as well? Instead having majority of hints pointed to JH for first 16 eps then otherwise in the last 4?
  • The way DS had always looked at CT/ 'took care' of him. Why did it always show it in a motherly way? Like her little baby that cannot be hurt. Then BAM. one princess-carry style later, it turned romantic feelings.
  • Why gave JH such a big advantage for a good 12 eps (until taek's confession) then make him give it up? T__T
  • (not really an inconsistency from the show; just my own observation/opinion): Yes because of all this, it makes me feel as if CT being the husband IS the last minute switch, doesn't matter what the PD really answered/clarified in articles or whatsoever. This is as if their way of 'apologizing' to the viewers/followers after what they had done with ChilBong in R94; that the less-likely character that the main girl didn't show much affection to initially actually became the endgame; but they did it in a way that JH got it worse than CB.
    1. Oppaya and JH similarities: both mean to her on the outside but actually care for/love her deeply and actually showed it, basically tsundere type; very smart and has high social status career (doctor vs. Air Force Pilot); sacrifice his own love for the sake of others (Oppaya held back his feelings bc of her/his family that he grew up with that he's afraid he might lose vs. JH for his highly treasured friendship with Taek); both not the first choice as husband contender for the main girl according to friends/family
    2. ChilBong and CT similarities: both very nice/warm to her openly-wouldn't say any mean thing to her; running to her without hesitation; both are public figures for sports (Baseball vs. Baduk); both softspoken and very well-like among friends and family; both has quite sad background story (parents divorced for CB and CT's mom passed away); both would run to her for mental support/a shoulder to lean on; the way they looked at the girl looks more like puppy-love-ish
    3. CB and JH similarities: both didn't get the girl (T__T)
    4. CB and JH difference: CB has nothing holding him back from progressing his feelings to NJ and pursue NJ with his full potential, his rival has no personal connection to him that he doesn't have to hold back on his game, only when he finally realized that he couldn't win her heart, then he chose to let go; JH didn't have that. His love for her from way beginning could not be professed properly bc he thought she liked SW. Then when SW is out of the way, that he's about to pursue her properly...Taek confessed. It's Taek. Not just anyone, but Taek. Taek is their 'national treasure'. their precious friend that he loves for 20yrs, as his rival. If it was DR it might have been different. But Taek is soo important to him that he cannot hate or hurt, so he had to sacrifice his own feeling. that he has to endure everything himself that his confession merely meant anything. He got no appreciation back from DS or consoling 'hug' from DS like CB got from NJ. Something like "thank you for liking me, but my heart had belonged to someone else'. He wasn't given closure. He just closed it himself. in his heart. all alone.
    5. IF ONLY the PD had had both CT and JH liked and pursued DS on their own with their own personality/full effort without announcing it to others, the husband would definitely be JH. Why? Because he cares for her a lot more, worries about her wellbeing every time, puts her as his priority without having anything holding him back. Yes. it's all about fate and timing. Yes. it's because of his hesitation. but his hesitation was for his friend that he's willing to endure on his own. that's makes him a much better character and turned CT to be more dull of a character towards the end. But since PD had claim to set CT to be the husband from the beginning, doesn't matter if the story progressed in JH's favor, it would always turn back to CT.
    6. IF ONLY the PD gave both of them fair play and CT won, and that it would make sense with how the story progresses, I would be okay with it too.

In real life people's relationship changes after yrs. a couple that didn't bicker early on will normally have little squabbles after 18 yrs of marriage. How my husband interact with each other after 7 yrs of marriage is completely different from how we were when we were dating. That's why that piece never bothered me.

I just finished watching the last two episodes with subs, and I feel like the ending made so much sense. I don't know about you guys, but I was really satisfied with it. TK being the husband, wasn't such a big deal compared to the whole story that the writer was tying to tell. Reply 1988 is a story about youth, and how time just seems to flow without really waiting for anyone at all. So yes, we do reminisce about our youth, not because we miss who we were at that time, but because of that simple and warm joy that could only exist in the momentary wisp of joy, that so often seems to slip through our fingers more than we notice.

The future scenes in 2016 show a moment in the present where they are talking about their past and talking about the good ol' times they had in the now unrecognizable Ssangmundong. That neighborhood, where not only their youth was spent, was where their parent's youth and cherished memories were spent too. Those all too familiar alleys were landmarks of memory, like the stairway where SW-BR often met, the alleys that soon just turned to be a place where TK-DS had dates and where Cheetah omma and Kim Sajang would ride their bikes and take walks to get fresh air, the table/bench outside where the 3 ahjummas would gossip and pick out their bean sprouts. Can't you see that the husband game this time around truly was not the focus of the drama? It's such a pity that even I just realized that in the last few episodes of this precious drama. It was mentioned again and again, youth was the topic of their interview in the future, as adult BR mentioned. 

The unanswered questions and characters that seemingly were left hanging, were not products of rushed time or quality diluting excuses contrary to the initial popular belief. I think that the writer did this on purpose, to portray the reality of reminiscing about one's youth. Not everything will have closure. If you look back on your own youth, you'll also find many questions unasnwered but seem to be fine with it anyway, because of how we have naturally moved on from it. Like mentioned in the last two episodes, time just seems to flow. We have no escape from time, and instead of wallowing on missed chances and regrets, JH actually teaches a very important point about that in episode 18 (i realized after i got over his joke confession), and the drama would not have that effect on its theme of youth had JH not moved on and continued to pursue DS.  After much thought as someone who rooted for JH-DS, them ending up together would have caused the focus to go from youth to the conventional kdrama love again, which although we love so much of it, we already know enough about it and the writer knows this FULLY well.  Yes, i did not feel the butterflies that i would have felt in the TK-DS scenes had they not been with JH, but it all makes so much sense to me. The writer didnt intend to create an epic love story, which would be evident if she made JH-DS end game. She stuck true to what she said even in the drama's pre-production, that it would be about family. It's like the drama came around in a full circle once they showed the last scene of the revisiting of Ssangmundong to what seems to go back to one of the first few introductory scenes of episode 1. To me, that scene was what touched me the most, when DS was talking about youth and revisiting Ssangmungdong. 

This is truly a beautiful drama with so much meaning, I apologize for getting caught up in the stupid husband hunt when in the end it didnt matter anyway. I might be the minority for saying this, but i really truly loved the way they ended the drama, probably the best ending with the most resonating message out of all three installments. If you are reading this and are one of the people that decided to bail on the last two episodes because of what many people were saying after the husband was revealed, please give it a chance and watch the last two episodes with a lens that embraces every character and aspect of the show as a part of one whole story with a beautiful message. 

Thank you everyone in the forum, and all the people in all the shipper forums. After 10 years of drama watching, this is one of the most unforgettable dramas that will really have a special place in my heart! Can't wait to see you all once again when Reply 1980/1974/2001 airs! 

12 minutes ago, sillyvivian_yo89 said:

What I'm MAD about is that the story, or how the show progressed, to show that Taek is the husband didn't make sense, or it showed inconsistency, or almost forced to go that way. (IMO) Why?

• Of course. the hints. of future husband. yes people can change. but personality do not change that easily. Every little detail (except for smoking, and i guess lefthandedness) screams JH more than CT: little cute bickerings, little tantrums that her first love wasn't him, teased her when she called herself pretty, dull expression when she started dancing, read weird mangas/novels etc. Young CT would not bicker with her, would always say she's pretty, would just laugh along with her dancing, basically the opposite of the future husband's personality. Why do this if the storyline/husband was already chosen from beginning? If CT is truly a strong contender, why not just show ambiguity in the future husband's personality as well? Instead having majority of hints pointed to JH for first 16 eps then otherwise in the last 4?
  • The way DS had always looked at CT/ 'took care' of him. Why did it always show it in a motherly way? Like her little baby that cannot be hurt. Then BAM. one princess-carry style later, it turned romantic feelings.
  • Why gave JH such a big advantage for a good 12 eps (until taek's confession) then make him give it up? T__T

- The future husband thing is already discussed to death. We've been shown that Taek is actually quite possesive (his cute slap at Sunwoo upon reading DS' diary?) and loves to tease DS too, in a witty way (like when he said Bora must be DS in her previous life). Basically, future couple bicekring =/= it's not Taek. The first time the husband appear is on EP2, where at that time we barely know Taek's real character, but the show slowly revealing to us, like they finally reveal Taek's smoking habit on EP9. People are too busy relating JH, which at that time has the closest match with future husband's persona, but dismissing how many times Taek can yell "Ya!" at DS too.

- Motherly? It's just fans interpretation, usually from JH-DS side. Check on TK-DS thread's first post to see how many of us think otherwise. Do you see DS caring for SW when he sprained his leg as a motherly act? It's just similar to that, but DS does that care daily to Taek, it kinda shows how much she care about him. In fact , Taek must have been DS favourite person outside her family, that she can happily admit how lucky she is if she marry him (on EP10) even as a joke. She just had that closeness and familiarity with Taek. I can also interpret how R97's SW act towards YJ as 'sisterly bullies', but it's not, right?

- About this, it's really about how the writer want it to be, we can't help it. She want to create a heartbreaking first love story from JH's side, then so be it.

Again, please stop with the 'changed script', or 'tribute to CB fans' or whatever, it might comes as rude to some people who truly enjoy the show.

I was really sad when I found out who Husband was because I was really rooting for JH, so I wandered in here to make myself feel better about it, hehe... But how can anyone not like Taek? Although it is understandable that some viewers may have been disappointed in the ending (such as myself), I think it is also a reflection of reality and of youth. Sometimes because of wrong timing or never having the courage to say anything, even when there had been opportunities, people may not end up together. It was a refreshing change compared to 1997 and 1994, I suppose.

I do wish they had elaborated more on JH's story in regards to how he felt about Taek&DS and what happened to him in the future though~

Archived