Episode 08 graphics ~
image-9D66_538C6ECB.jpg

image-F403_538C6ECB.jpg

image-FE3B_538C6ECB.jpg

CREDIT: DarkSmurfSub GFX team

English subtitles are now available at DarkSmurfSubs~! ♥

A New Leaf English Subtitles is a Community Translated Subtitle (CTS) Project:-

URL: http://www.darksmurfsub.com/forum/index.php?/topic/8398-a-new-leaf-2014/
Please visit the link above for more information about the Community Translated Subtitle (CTS) Project. CTS Project is about FANS helping FANS for FAST SUBTITLE RELEASE! Enjoy!

Great thoughts from everyone!  :-bd
Looks like we will have only one episode this week. So have to wait till thursday! Hopefully, since the last episode ended on a high, the ratings will be much better. 
Though ratings wise ANL may not be that big, based on the Contents Power Index, it is doing pretty good. Contents Power Index (CPI) is an objective measurement based on news subscription rankings, direct search rankings, and SNS social media buzz rankings done by Nielsen and CJ E&M . ANL came fourth after after Infinity Challenge (Variety), Dr. Stranger and Roommate (Variety). Not bad for an MBC drama! Though one does wish MBC would promote this drama a bit more, I think it is having a ripple effect. http://www.tvreport.co.kr/?c=news&m=newsview&idx=509978

Guest blossomnagr

CPI index results for 4th week of May, 2014 
MBC Unlimited Challenge - 305.4  points 
SBS Doctor Stranger -237.4 points 
SBS Roommate- 228 points 
MBC A New Leaf - 227.4 points
SBS You are all surrounded -226.3 points 

PS. CPI index is calculated by news click number, search number and inputs degrees plus people's integration level on particular drama 

Original source : http://www.tvreport.co.kr/?c=news&m=newsview&idx=509978, and facebook page 韓劇 - 改過遷善 A New Leaf
 I am not sure whether I translated it correctly, I used bing translate and my intuition. :)

Guest blossomnagr

oh @mimi26, I just read that news as well. Thanks for clear explanation of CPI index. :x

Guest ChoBap

We suffered a lot because of that cancellation last week. I'm sure people are still interested in ANL. Let's keep going fighting ~~~ (I realized we're already halfway through this drama D:)

Guest blossomnagr

Have no clue what posters say but they are lovely :)
cre: (cr. GGCS DC), facebook page 韓劇 - 改過遷善 A New Leaf

10363926_318854398265905_74180306408590910407548_318854401599238_34728347063702310336618_318854391599239_81925650380776610336835_318854394932572_68773063051867910403287_318854388265906_73332206859051510418935_318854384932573_317264128807126

@AndOne Yup, it is quite a tricky terrain. If all psychopathic serial killers start arguing that they couldn't help do what they did since it is in their genes, it would be pretty hard to punish even the most gruesome crimes. 
I guess the development of psychopathic tendencies are a combination of genetic factors as well as the social environment in which a person grows up. The social environment could exacerbate the latent tendencies. In this particular situation, this boy grows up in a family which is on the periphery of the society, where social workers visit only once in a while to check how things are. Added to that, he has a mentally challenged mother which could have possibly made him the butt of jokes among his peers. The father also would have approached the kid as if he was normal punishing him for dropping out of school. All of this could have worsened his already sociopathic tendencies. Just my guess.
Parenting is also pretty hard in such cases. Even otherwise, since the parent-child relationship is so romanticized generally, if you have a problem child, it is pretty hard to be open about it in public. Then what about having a child with psychopathic tendencies? The blame would be laid at your door as a parent for not treating the kid right etc. Especially if you are uneducated and poor and have a kid who puzzles you, you wouldn't even realize you need to seek help. Like in this case, the poor father may have had to cover up for so many of his kid's crimes! 
This is really a work in progress kind of research, so we do not really know how much of it is genetic, how much of it is culture-produced, whether it can be cured, etc. 

Anyway, looks like the young actor Yun Hong Bin who played the boy got a lot of attention for his role. He has previously been in The Duo, Gaskital etc.
<개과천선> 박민영 혼란에 빠뜨린 윤홍빈, 그는 누구? 이미지-1

<개과천선> 박민영 혼란에 빠뜨린 윤홍빈, 그는 누구? 이미지-2
cre: imbc GGCS

Guest ChoBap

He looks a bit like John Park doesn't he? Is it just me? :D
And the pictures above are just to get people to participate in the Gallery. They're recruiting people.. i belive :)

Looks like Jin Yi Han tweeted something about moving. @ChoBap @LivEvil Where is Ji Won moving to? Moving to the Cha Firm or moving residence?  :)
I am actually looking forward to how Seok Joo and Ji Yoon go from here. Their relationship has gone through many phases. Phase 1 was where Ji Yoon gatecrashes into Seok Joo's clockwork like life at the precise moment when he is entering into a crisis, her conflicting ideological point of view adding to his starting unease about the life he is leading. Phase 2 was post-amnesia when Seok Joo's unfamiliarity with his place in the firm and his own identity coincided with Ji Yoon's own confusion regarding whether the firm suited her or not. Ironically enough, it is Seok Joo who becomes the means through which Ji Yoon gets that growing sense of ease and belonging in the firm. Her role as Seok Joo's assistant and his dependence on her had made her forget for some time that position wise, they are miles apart. He is the ace lawyer with experience and she is just an intern who is learning the ropes. That changes with Seok Joo winning the murder case and the entry of his fiancee. Seok Joo is now more at ease with his personal and professional life and Ji Yoon is forced to realise that their period of companionship was just a temporary phase. With the realization that Seok Joo is engaged and therefore her puzzling feelings for him have to be put aside, she has been trying to keep her distance from him. Right through the ninth episode, we saw how she tried to avoid him at work and home and partially, it was because of her attempts to keep that distance that she did not seek his counsel at first before jumping in. It would be interesting to see how she behaves with him from now on. Till the case of the boy, Ji Yoon had not really experienced what Seok Joo knows pretty well - what it means to make a bad judgement. For Seok Joo too, Ji Yoon has never been anything but the eternally optimistic intern who will bounce back from any setback because she is young and inexperienced enough not to get hurt by any of them beyond a point . That has changed with the boy's case. He saw Ji Yoon broken for the first time and since he knows her idealistic side well, he would know how much this would hurt her. So, this could be the start of a change in their dynamics where both would be able to empathise with each other's situation more.
 I read on ANL baidu that the k-fans are predicting 4 things to happen in the 10th episode  1) Seok Joo will help solve his fiancee's case 2) Lee Ji Yoon will stay away for some time 3) Ji Won will move to Cha Firm 4) Seok Joo will leave the firm.  But with Ji Yoon's family's fortunes in the balance with the Yoorim case, I wonder how long she can stay away even if she is in a depressed state of mind.  She will have to get involved.  I predict that SJ will leave the firm by the end of the 10th episode or 11th episode and Ji Yoon might stay on there for some more time.

There is this interesting discussion going on in ANL baidu regarding Seok Joo's comment to Jung Sun that he remembers the scent of her perfume. She had a puzzling look on her face when he said that, which I assumed was coz she was surprised to know he still remembered something about the past and about her. It also meant for me Seok Joo wanting to believe that his relationship with his fiancee is normal and that he must have loved her before. But according to some commenters there, it is unlikely SJ would remember her perfume since they had not that long a courtship and he did not even have her pics on his computer and she had been abroad for 3 months. They also say she mentions that they have just been out on 3 eating out dates. So they think that SJ's comment is not a throw away comment, but has other significance. So there are some who believe that the perfume scent is actually Lee Ji Yoon's from the wedding day when she arm-wrestled him and that Seok Joo would actually realize this at some later point. Hehe Fans have so many theories which may or may not be true, but it is fun reading them nevertheless!
@blossomnagr Thanks for the videos. :)

Guest mdolphins

Well I am back and I marathoned the drama up to episode 6 so far. I have to say the acting is outstanding and I have always been a sucker for intelligent, court-room dramas with compelling characters and so far this one is delivering. That said, while I think Seok Joo's character is brilliant and I find myself completely drawn to him and interested in learning more about him, I find that I am not as interested in Ji Yoon's character. From what I can see so far I think she is fairly unremarkable compared to the main character. I wouldn't go so far as to call her window dressing to the drama, but she hasn't given me much of a reason to root for her yet. I hope in the next few episodes more depth will be given to her character, because after watching 5 episodes I find her to be more inept and occasionally annoying than anything else.

Besides that I think most of the supporting cast is great, especially the boss and his relationship with SJ. Anyway, I will write more after I finish watching the rest of the episodes.  :)

Guest blossomnagr

@mimi26 very interesting comment about perfume scene. I did not even think about it. it is funny and might be true. Lets see how it goes. Fans are really attentive to small details. 

Guest ChoBap

@mimi26 Wow~ thanks you for all the insight~ @mdolphins Ep 7 will be even better ;) 

His tweet said "The day I filmed Jeon Ji Won's moving scene... (I think it was the first episode?) The weather is cloudy... hm... Hehe Everyone fighting!!!"
Oh gosh XD. I doubt that the perfume is Ji Yoon's even though as a fan, I'd like to believe so. I'm just wondering what will happen after he solves JS's case (assuming he will, he is Kim Seok Joo after all). I don't know if this is still part of the plot, but I recall that JS had something to do with SJ's accident, and at this point, she's still not 100% honest with SJ right now... And even though we're at 9 episodes now, the whole "give back SJ his watch" hasn't been closed either, so maybe it will have some sort of significance later. I'm also wondering about what will happen with relationship between SJ and his father, considering his condition now. 

Guest blossomnagr

Found this photo in KMM's Thai fans group on fb that is updated about an hour ago. Will this cute girl appear in ep10 or is it old pic of KMM? 10414564_10152841923430968_9167492743115

Thanks @ChoBap. Oh, I thought it was recent! Yup, I also don't think the perfume theory could be true. Hehe But it is fun reading all their speculations.
Seok Joo's dad writing down all the details in his diary was a pretty moving scene. Memory loss is not amnesia's territory alone! Alzheimer's which is usually presented much more dramatically in dramas here became the undramatic parallel to Seok Joo's dramatic amnesia! Though both father and son have reached a stage where they will be able to empathize and understand each other, it is ironic that both are hiding their condition from each other. Wonder when Seok Joo will realize his dad is really ill.The Chinese fans were going back to Sang Tae reading out Seok Joo's yearly horoscope which predicted three things that would be catastrophic for him. One is the case with the actress, the other is amnesia. What will be the third one? Will it be leaving the firm or his father's worsening condition?
@blossomnagr Thanks a lot. I was trying to log into kmminternationalfancafe to get these pics, but realised I had forgotten my password. Is there some fan account with these pics?
MBC is finally doing something right to promote this drama. Read that since MBC will telecast only election related news on June 4, MBC plus,will air ANL episodes 1 to 9 on that day from 9 o'clock in the morning! :)>-

Guest blossomnagr

@mdolphins I do agree with your comment regarding KMM's acting. I have never seen his acting before and after watching a New Leaf I admit that he is a great actor and I am impressed with his acting skills. However, I cannot agree about JY's because her character from the beginning was to brighten up the atmosphere of the drama hence she is energetic and lively wherever she appears. Because this dorama is concentrated on main lead's journey on finding out about himself and his recovery without much love line till the end of 9th ep, there is nothing JY could do except being beside the main lead and support him. But her role grows after ep 7 and I think you will come to love her, so keep watching it. :) Meanwhile, I am looking forward to ep 10. 

Archived