Cutting your own hair

Guest thoughtsandthings

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest hellokatie1618

You guys must go to horrible salons if they don't cut it the way you want them to. I just bring in a picture and bam! perfect cut. I also go to Asian places too, white salons can't do richard simmons. I sometimes think people explain haircuts to vaguely to people and need to bring in a reference picture.

Yeah, I started cutting my own hair mainly because I don't want hairdressers chopping it off. Through my "hair growing journey" I decided that I should do anything possible to keep my hair length. So, I trim my bangs myself (which is not much of a challenge). And I also trim split ends and damaged hair. But nothing too drastic like cutting layers. 

Guest kisseski

I cut my own hair quite often, haven't been to a salon in about 7 months. I find it quite fun and you can experiment and just about get exactly what your picturing in your head. I always cut my side fringe as well because you get what you want as long as you don't cut to much off.

Guest charcoalapples

Yes, I do cut my hair. I start off slow and and cut off a little at a time. So far, I have not had a problem and I have been doing it for more than a year. I like saving the money. I mainly use hair cutting shears, but I also own a razor and layer shears. I barely use those two.

• 2 months later...
Guest Sofie1430291891

I do cut my hair the basic reason is the hairdresser tends to cut it toooooo short and since I wantmy hair to grow long I only cut my bangs which I do for years now 

Guest xFloOwuffBB

I've decided to cut my own hair since I think a year or two ago.
I have trimming shears, thinning/layering shears, and a razor.
I trim my bangs and thin out my previously ruined hair :P since I thought I could give myself layers but I ended up chopping half my hair short and keeping half my hair long, which did turn out to be pretty cool looking but now is a hassle due to the fact I'm growing out my hair.. haha.

Guest nameless

I always cut my own bangs, however, for the back, I have just done a few times but am thinking of experimenting with it more. It does save you for what could be done easily by yourself.

Yup! I've been cutting my own hair since I was a 2nd year in high school, and I still trust and like my own cuts better than those from salons or other people.

It's very rewarding to cut your hair and to see the results of your labor turn out very well! On top of it all, I love receiving compliments for my haircut and asking where I've gotten it cut. ^^

I used to just use regular paper cutting scissors for cutting my hair, but I found out that it caused my hair to get split ends when the cut is not clean enough because the scissor was too blunt and not sharp enough.

However, after I went back to Taiwan one summer, my mom bought me specialized hair cutting scissors like the ones that are jagged for layer your hair thinner, etc, and since then, all my cuts have been split end-free on top of nice looking. ^_^

I've been cutting my own hair for almost five years, dyeing for two, and cutting other people's hair (mainly family) every now and then. It's extremely rewarding but I learned through diagrams and magazines. Since I haven't learned any proper techniques, it takes me forever to cut a proper hairstyle and I do not do anyone's hair outside family. The cuts I do are very basic and don't require any razors or feathering scissors but I do look forward to using them in the future.

Guest babyybearr

I have been having my sister trim my bangs for awhile now, they just grow so fast. She along with my mother, and my boyfriend's mother, think I shouldn't have bangs. I have a long/oblong face, bangs look great on me. But my sister moved, and I hate driving up to her place because not only is it far but it's a good place to get lost in the middle of nowhere with not a great GPS on hand. So eventually I'll pick up the scissors myself.
As for my hair, I don't have to worry much about split ends because my hair is naturally straight and I don't use a hair straightener, I hardly even use a blow dryer, and when I do use chemicals I protect my hair. But when I do get my hair cut, the guy I go to only charges $8 and does a great job. He always pleases me. 

• 2 weeks later...
Guest kimchiday

i've only cut my bangs twice, the first time it turned out really bad, the second time, i did a good job. i can't trust myself to cut the rest of my hair though o:

• 3 months later...
Guest appleheads

I never tried cutting my own hair because I just don't trust myself. I'd rather let the professional do it. 
But I trimmed and maintain my own bangs regularly. I have straight cut bangs so they aren't that hard to cut and maintain. 

Archived