Wasians/Wannabe Asians.

Guest harako

i don't mind them as long as they are genuine. i don't like ppl who say things like 'ni hao' and 'xie xie' to me and expect me to be all greatful that they took the time to learn two phrases.... first of all i don't even speak chinese but even i know those two phrases, so don't think i'll be all 'ooooohhh' and 'ahhhhh'. but if someone is actually genuinely interested in asian culture and they really like it a lot then i don't mind them.

In my opinion, wouldn't that be insulting?

I mean, I guess it's okay to some people but...

If I said two words in some other language and everyone thought it was amazing

It'd come off like "WOW I DIDN'T THINK YOU COULD EVEN LEARN THAT"

Or something to that extent :T

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest eyeheartyou

In my opinion, wouldn't that be insulting?

I mean, I guess it's okay to some people but...

If I said two words in some other language and everyone thought it was amazing

It'd come off like "WOW I DIDN'T THINK YOU COULD EVEN LEARN THAT"

Or something to that extent :T

do you mean insulting to the person that said the phrases?? if so i didn't mean my comment to come off as jerky as it did. a lot of times i get people who throw random (asian) phrases at me and 90% of the time they say it so arrogantly, and i feel like they expect me to be greatful that they even bothered learning, and that i dislike. i don't mind the people that aren't arrogant.

do you mean insulting to the person that said the phrases?? if so i didn't mean my comment to come off as jerky as it did. a lot of times i get people who throw random (asian) phrases at me and 90% of the time they say it so arrogantly, and i feel like they expect me to be greatful that they even bothered learning, and that i dislike. i don't mind the people that aren't arrogant.

Yeah, that's what I meant.

But I know you didn't mean it in a bad way!

Just that, if it were me saying random phrases in another language

I wouldn't want to be complimented for such a limited scope of vocabulary ):

In my opinion, it's like giving someone "1+1" and when they get it you act like they're a genius for being able to figure it out haha

I understand your point completely though~

Arrogant people make me so mad D:

[but if they're just trying to study it's ok ^^]

Guest My Sweet September

Well I'm not Asian , but I became interested in eastern asia after I heard a chinese (cantonese) song and the language appealed to me. To be honest my knowlegde of the culture isn't very deep, because my main interests have been in the entertainment scene. The movies, music, etc etc. I am learning mandarin and cantonese because I like the sound of it, and most of the foreign music I listen to happens to be chinese.

But it bothers me that people would consider me an "asiaphile" because of this. WTF lol. I've never approached someone because they were asian and tried to talk to them in mando or canto. I don't even have that many asian friends and I've never tied to befriend anyone who was asian simply because they are asian O.o I've never had an asian man, I don't think asian men are unnecessarily better looking then any other ethnicity. So why am I still considered an asiaphile by a lot of people? Because I visit a forum that I find interesting and entertaining???

Sorry for the rant ;) You jsut don't know how many times someone has said or implied something like that.. It gets irritating.

it doesn't bother me, but when they go the extar mile its not a good sign. i've met people who love Jrock who aren't asian but they know were they stand in the line...

but for the people who say 'im asian' i just want to slap them in the face and say 'no your american'

or like never been to asia and act like they have uh no please.

Guest BUHNEE213

I don't mind those who are actually learning about the culture/language/history/ or having a heathly interest.

I do mind those who say they are into the culture,but they don't have any clue about it.

They just think" or " think they know" about the culture because of anime,manga,imports, media, entertainment,etc...

But I'm not generalizing all, just some ....

What annoys me the MOST is when non-asian corrects my language. [ Korean ] ._. I guess if he/she knows an Asian Language fluently; I guess its okay. [ as for my case;Korean] But if your not, don't correct me. Especially, when a person doesn't know the language. Or even knows what I'm saying/writting.

Example: I was writting down : " Happy Birthday Brian oppah " in Korean Characters; this random girl [ she thinks shes Korean & she swears she knows every single thing about Korea/Koreans] corrects me. She said I spelled " Happy Birthday" wrong.[ she actually just pointed at it] I went off on her ._. I think she started to cry. Oh well.

That was in class BTW.

Guest xTwilight

Yeah, you're right, no doubt. But do we only have to limit our friends to being people who are equal with us?

We don't have to, but that's generally the case.

It's not often you see the high-class walking around with the poor on the streets.

Why is this so? You don't have to limit yourself to people that are equal in status and whatnot.

But the mindset is different, even though it does seem like a nice thought to have everyone living in harmony.

This can be related to asians deciding to group together, caucasians grouping together, black people grouping together, etc.

Guest DangerousAngel

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Okay, excuse me for being such a weirdo here, but do you guys only hang out with ppl that are equal to you, moneywise?

:unsure: Am I the only one who doesn't?

Guest xTwilight

People tend to gravitate towards those of equal position - a sense of community and understanding of each other. Or so they think.

There seems to be this mindset that "because he's like me, we have an understanding of each others' lives and problems we face." Which can be true more often than having two people of completely different backgrounds meeting.

In regards to your question on whether we prefer to be with those of similar financial backgrounds, let me ask you this: would you prefer to make friends with a random homeless on the street, or someone that has an apartment, a decent job, and can pay their own bills?

Guest Kabuki Danshi

i know this basically covers like half this forum's members but i cant stand asians of one race listening to music of another race and not understanding a word, if someone is going to listen to a genre of music, at least be able to understand it. I.E. Vietnese listening to japanese

and especially caucasians listening to jrock (i see that alot)

Guest candysyrup

^^ xTwilight, I agree.

I used to not be able to understand English and I liked some American music at that period. I learned English, and my opinion of that music hasn't changed. It wasn't as if before I didn't have access to translated lyrics.

Anyway, wannabe asians... cool, what's the big deal? I want to meet one now. o_o

i know this basically covers like half this forum's members but i cant stand asians of one race listening to music of another race and not understanding a word, if someone is going to listen to a genre of music, at least be able to understand it. I.E. Vietnese listening to japanese

and especially caucasians listening to jrock (i see that alot)

Dumbest thing I have ever read!

Music is a universal language

you don't have to understand to enjoy it.

Guest Kabuki Danshi

Dumbest thing I have ever read!

Music is a universal language

you don't have to understand to enjoy it.

lol den dont read it

Guest Malice_Kaiser

lol den dont read it

You posted it, we're going to read it.

Don't post controversial things if you don't want people to refute it.

It's ridiculous to say people shouldn't listen to music if they don't understand the language. Why should we be limited to the culture we were born into? Like it was already said, music is universal, and it goes beyond language barriers.

There have been plenty of people who say that they don't get why I listen to Korean music. I've NEVER been told that I SHOULDN'T listen to it, however.

Why should you dislike it? How does this affect you or anyone else in a negative way?

Think about this: I bet most music artists would be thrilled to learn they've got fans from other countries who speak different languages. If you were a famous musician in one country I bet you'd be flattered too to find out about overseas fans.

I think you need to get out more.

Guest My Sweet September

You posted it, we're going to read it.

Don't post controversial things if you don't want people to refute it.

It's ridiculous to say people shouldn't listen to music if they don't understand the language. Why should we be limited to the culture we were born into? Like it was already said, music is universal, and it goes beyond language barriers.

There have been plenty of people who say that they don't get why I listen to Korean music. I've NEVER been told that I SHOULDN'T listen to it, however.

Why should you dislike it? How does this affect you or anyone else in a negative way?

Think about this: I bet most music artists would be thrilled to learn they've got fans from other countries who speak different languages. If you were a famous musician in one country I bet you'd be flattered too to find out about overseas fans.

I think you need to get out more.

I agree...

I love chinese music, and although I am currently learning mandarin, I originally didnt know a lick of it.

So should I not watch Hong Kong movies now either, since I have to put on subs :sweatingbullets: Come on. Music is hardly about the words, let me put it this way, I don't listen to music to hear people sing poetry to me. It's so much more than that.

Guest PunchNine

weeaboo?

lol, i saw this youtube clip of a non-asian girl filming herself eating pocky and blurting out random japanese phrases...

it was rofl-worthy.

it's probably not nice to post the clip here is it?

Guest angelic_betrayal

Yea, I disagree with Kabuki Danshi along with almost everyone else :P I'm chinese and I listen to Korean and Japanese music too... I also listen to Mandarin but I only understand the basics. I usually have no idea what the song is about... that's what translations are for.

I don't mind THAT much about non-asians liking asian stuff.. I don't see a lot of white people doing that actually, more like brown people. Like if they like entertainment stuff at first im like cool, i have something to talk to you about. Haha. If they go like... idk how to say it... overboard?... then its a problem. If you think you know eveyrthing about it and you start going off about asian stuff and you're not i'll get a lil mad? Its a stupid thing to get mad about but I still do...

But when people start to think they are "asian on the inside"... i get really annoyed... I dont think there is such a thing as being some culture on the inside... you are what you are. & anyway, you're basically being totally stereotypical.

Archived