Shea Butter for Acne Scars?

Guest kimchiday

Guest kimchiday
Has anyone tried?
So I've recently gotten myself a tub of shea butter for moisturizing reasons, but I searched online for all the benefits, and some people said that shea butter works for acne scars. There are some great reviews out there about shea butter, but they didn't include before and after photos. So I was wondering has anyone tried it?

Shea butter works well w/ redness and rosacea, so I think it should help with acne scars. I bought a small tin of organic African shea butter from The Vitamin Shoppe during the summer and I think it helped with acne scars, although I'm not entirely sure since I was using it in conjunction w/ plain yogurt masks.

It won't hurt (maybe) to try. Maybe, only because different people react differently to oils, even natural ones.

Most of the things I've read online about shea is usually about unrefined shea butter (the most natural kind).

Guest payopayo

I use unrefined yellow shea butter as my moisturizer and I haven't really seen any noticable difference in acne scars, I think it's probably just time and normal moisturizing that makes the scars lighter as your skin renews itself.

HOWEVER, yellow shea butter (compared to regular white/ivory colored shea butter) is yellow because when African people make the shea butter, they also throw the roots of the plant into the pot, and it's culturally believed that adding the roots helps to lighten the skin...so maybe it can also lighten acne scars a tiny bit?

Archived