Washing thrift store clothing?

Guest B L o T T - ii

Guest B L o T T - ii

I recently purchased a sequined scarf from my local thrift store. To sanitize before wearing, I've placed the scarf in boiling water and then washed it in cold water with washing detergent. Still smells a bit, though. This is my first time thrifting. I thought I didn't mind second hand items but now I guess I'm just paranoid lol. The scarf wasn't 'dirty' to begin with, but I want to make sure it's extra clean before I start wearing it.

I consulted google and there's suggestions on mixing white vinegar with water and also mixing baking soda with water.

Wondering how soompiers go about sanitizing thrift store clothing? The more opinions the better.

Guest wantcookie

I just literally put it in a washer and put scented lavender detergent in and some stain remover.. I'll wash it at least 3 times before wearing it.

Guest SUMM3RxBABii

Boiling water, really?

You can just put it in the washing machine and use fabric softener and if it still smells, spray some perfume on it.

Guest efaye926

I absolutely love my local Goodwill for good fashion finds.  =T =)  never tried the method you've suggested, but I did hear that vinegar and baking soda are both good with removing odor if that's one thing you are concerned about. =)  I put mine under the sun for half a day before throwing it into the laundry and hang in to dry in the sun and wind after I'm done.

you arent too paranoid.

you /dont/ know what it couldve gone through.

or even if it didnt go through anything "bad," something it has gone through could possibly react badly with your skin.

i think once with the boiling water should be fine, just wash it in the washing machine like your other clothes for the clean soapy smell.

Guest B L o T T - ii

You sound too paranoid. It's just clothes.

mnnn... i dunno. I got a rash on my neck, and that's after boiling and then washing it once.

Maybe i'm just unlucky.

Guest DiscoSarah

Thrift store clothing always has a bit of a smell to it....I don't know why. You did everything you can by washing it, now you just have to wait for the smell to go away (and it will)

Archived