Help! Need some ideas for visual aids

kissez*

...I'm delivering a speech
So my speech topic will be on gendercide/female infanticide in India and China. I'm also going to mention China's one-child policy and I need visual aids to make my speech more interesting.

Do you guys have any suggestions for me? Should I blow up some really gruesome pictures of dying babies? :vicx:

Any help/input would be appreciated!

Guest monkeyinabarrel

get 2 baby dolls and dress one as a boy and one as a girl

If you want their attention slam the girl baby doll on the floor or in a trash can.

you could also use images but having people pass pictures around gets pretty old. You want to keep your audience awake not take a 5 second look through a stack of pictures. I've been through a lot of speeches and the ones that get my attention use other things like maybe a movie trailer with that theme, or a dance, etc..

I'm sure anything will work as long as it's relatable. Make it personal somehow, otherwise, welcome the "What does this have to do with me? I don't care, ZzzZ"

I've found asking rhetorical questions, interactive skits, videos work fairly well. A lot of us focus through visual rather than hearing

Guest monkeyinabarrel

I'm sure anything will work as long as it's relatable. Make it personal somehow, otherwise, welcome the "What does this have to do with me? I don't care, ZzzZ"

I've found asking rhetorical questions, interactive skits, videos work fairly well. A lot of us focus through visual rather than hearing

Agreed. you've given me another advice. make parts of the speech intractable like "What would you do...". You could also use a presentation software for the topics about it (don't put your entire speech on it and read off the board). Words go in one ear and out the other if I can't read it. If you want a snazzy presentation software go to prezi.com it's free but you'll need internet access to it (so if your school doesn't have internet connection forget about it).

audiences don't want to stare at your moving mouth the whole time.

I had to sit through a class period of speeches/presentation and they used a lot of pictures, after the first few presentors the class fell asleep because thats all people did was use pictures. Include picture but don't depend on them.

Incorporate some humor into it (yes it's a serious topic but unless your first, all I hear is bla bla bla..)

Incorporate some humor into it (yes it's a serious topic but unless your first, all I hear is bla bla bla..)

Agreeeeeeee. Be witty, but don't be disrespectful, basically.

I'd also suggest getting them to think and answer questions. Throw out cheap prizes like candy (if you're doing it in a classroom), or if you're using a whole auditorium, take down their name and tell them to meet you after the presentation. It's a high school trick, but hey.. who doesn't love candy?

get 2 baby dolls and dress one as a boy and one as a girl

If you want their attention slam the girl baby doll on the floor or in a trash can.

I LOVE THIS IDEA.

Thank you both for your input!

FYI, it won't be in front of an actual audience - it's for my online communication class.

I just have to pretend as if I'm speaking to a crowd... just go through the motions, y'know?

I still have to be convincing though.

But yay, any advice would be appreciated since I haven't had to deliver a speech in years and I'm going to have to deliver a 'live' one in a few weeks anyway.

I want to give a fun, creative speech/presentation and incorporate interesting visual aids.

The doll idea is superb... just the kind of suggestion I'm looking for!

Archived