Your favorite gangster/triad/mob film?

Guest msmilkt

Guest msmilkt

i think no one does it like 90's HKFeeling nostalgic lately after watching Monga, so I`ve re-watched 1 - 6 of a good old HK Triad series: Young and Dangerous. I love my gangster movies ^^

Which was your fav oldschool gangster/triad movie?

From the top of my head:
Young and Dangerous
A Moment of Romance
Election
Exiled

Yes, all HK movies. I don`t think I`ve seen any other asian gangster movie, so please contribute!!!

Guest Myss Blewm

Just Asian gangster films? Hmm, I've watched so many of this genre as a young kid I feel like I can't remember many of them. Two John Woo films have always really stuck out to me, and they are "The Killer" and "Hard Boiled". I probably like "Hard Boiled" a lot more when it comes to the action. I also don't know if this really counts but I think "Infernal Affairs" is a really well made film. I liked the two sequels as well, but the first one has always left the biggest impression on me. It's also held up better when it comes to time passing than the American remake "The Departed". I mean, "The Departed" was good, but I feel like the storytelling of "Infernal Affairs" was more engaging.

I also really liked Takeshi Kitano's "Brother"...which I'm not sure is really just "Asian" based but that movie is badass and so is Takehsi Kitano. I've also seen his "The Blind Swordsman: Zatoichi" and that movie is great as well. I've told myself to check out more of his works, but I never quite got around to it.

Eheh, I also LOVED "Kung Fu Hustle". XD

But if it's gangster films overall, I also really liked "The Godfather" and "The Godfather Part 2". Personally, "The Godfather Part 2" is the superior film, but both are amazing. I have never really watched the third film, but I have heard both "it's a piece crap" and "it's not so bad, really, it's not" so I'll have to watch it one day to make my own judgments on the last "Godfather" film.

And yeah, I loved "Kill Bill", both one and two. I actually liked part two more. Part one had much more action and blood, but I loved Beatrix's reunion with her daughter as well as the fact that we spend a lot more time with Bill in part two. Both are solid and kick richard simmons films though.

Those are the only films I can really think of right now. I feel like some of the films I listed aren't straight up gangster films though. :sweatingbullets: And sorry for the rants.

Not sure if these are considered old school yet since they're all less than 10 years old, but these are a few of my favorite asian gangster flicks:

• A Bittersweet Life [KOR 2005]
  • A Dirty Carnival [KOR 2006]
  • Election [HK 2005]
  • Election 2 [HK 2006]
  • Infernal Affairs Trilogy [HK 2002-2003]
  • Sunflower [KOR 2006]

Guest severus

lol, infernal affairsss bb.

and the young and dangerous series, jordan chan (陳小春) does a very good hk gangster, far better than edison chen, who was mainly just eyecandy in the infernal affairs series

• 4 weeks later...

out of the young and dangerous series i love "Born to Be King" as my top triad movies

which one is that? 1 and 3 were the only good ones imo.

the one where every 5 minutes you see a guy jumping off a building of at least 3 storeys height is worthy of a mention.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest SlicedBread

I'm already way into Italian Mafia movies, and have enjoyed a few about the Yakuza. The only one I've seen about triads is Infernal Affairs, and I enjoyed it. I hope I can find the ones mentioned here somewhere near me.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Sensitive_soul

Young and Dangeorous and all its sequels and spin offs. I've watched each one at least 4 times.

Guest toGETherONE

Young and Dangerous series and spin offs [HK]

Election I & II [HK]

Gun & Rose [HK]

Layer Cake [uK]

Sunflower [KOR]

A Better Tomorrow [HK & KOR]

Archived