[Drama 2010] Smile Mom 웃어요 엄마

princess

Guest revengeoftheflowers

This show is JUST NUTS. I think it's WORSE than Temptation of Wife and Temptation of An Angel (same writer) in terms of its makjang levels. I thought the writer would do something new for this drama, and I was extremely curious to see if she could write a decent home family drama, but old habits die hard.

There isn't a single likable character on this show. Lee Mi Sook's character is AWFUL, just horrible. Like a 70 year old Shin Ae Ri from Temptation of Wife, which is bordering on madness, desperation, and general cringworthy ickiness. The actress who plays her daughter is such a wet blanket, it's difficult to garner any sympathy for her.

The exquisite Yun Jung Hee and the fabulous Bak Won Sook (the woman who plays her mother) are WAAAAY too high caliber for this show. Yun Jung Hee is better off using her talents elsewhere. She is just not a makjang type of actress, but I look forward to her portrayal. She'll make it warm and sympathetic if anything.

Overall, it's off to an exciting start, but it's a bit disappointing that the writer needs to insert the craziness of Temptation of Wife/Angel in order to achieve ratings.

• Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^

Ha, I felt that there would be some craziness already after casting Lee Mi Sook. I mean, she's the queen of doing vicious and ruthless acts for such age. Which I find really amusing.

As for the writer, I mean she was acknowledge because of her two 'Temptation' series, and I expected that this one would be the dark-makjang type again.

Any summaries? I'm planning to watch the first episode RAW and wild guesses may not lead to enjoyment which I want to feel while watching this drama.

Not familiar with Kim Soon Ok's work.....only watched about 2-3 epds of temptation of wife but gave up because just too much screaming and shouting going on.

Watching this only because of Yoon Jung Hee....I think her story line is very interesting.

But looking at epsd 1 very objectively....too much emphasis on the Lee MiSuk/Kang MinKyung mother-daughter relationship.....maybe this is to garner higher ratings ?

I think for future epsds...they should have a more balanced approach....the very over dramatic acting by Lee MiSuk to potray an ambitious,scheming,slave driving mother who is realising her unfufilled dreams thru her daughter....this should balance off nicely with Yoon Jung Hee's quiet,hardworking,self sacrificing wife/daughter-in-law character.

Have not watched all of epsd 1......too much buffering is dampening my enjoyment of the drama. But already curious about a few things........Kang Min Kyung looking at a photo........ Who is that girl in the photo with the reporter....looks so much like Yoon Jung Hee.

Also, the reporter's mother just look too young to be his mother.....how old was she when she gave birth to him....she looks about early 40s...and the reporter looks about late 20s. And she will be in a relationship with a younger man who is 18 years younger ?????? I wonder how this plot will play out.

Not familiar with Kim Soon Ok's work.....only watched about 2-3 epds of temptation of wife but gave up because just too much screaming and shouting going on.

Watching this only because of Yoon Jung Hee....I think her story line is very interesting.

But looking at epsd 1 very objectively....too much emphasis on the Lee MiSuk/Kang MinKyung mother-daughter relationship.....maybe this is to garner higher ratings ?

I think for future epsds...they should have a more balanced approach....the very over dramatic acting by Lee MiSuk to potray an ambitious,scheming,slave driving mother who is realising her unfufilled dreams thru her daughter....this should balance off nicely with Yoon Jung Hee's quiet,hardworking,self sacrificing wife/daughter-in-law character.

Have not watched all of epsd 1......too much buffering is dampening my enjoyment of the drama. But already curious about a few things........Kang Min Kyung looking at a photo........ Who is that girl in the photo with the reporter....looks so much like Yoon Jung Hee.

Also, the reporter's mother just look too young to be his mother.....how old was she when she gave birth to him....she looks about early 40s...and the reporter looks about late 20s. And she will be in a relationship with a younger man who is 18 years younger ?????? I wonder how this plot will play out.

Yes Bryan the girl in the photos is Yoon Jung Hee. This could be a hint of whom Jung Hee is going to end with in this drama :D

SmileMum-Episode1-1.jpg

I believe the first 20 minutes is telling us the present situation and I am curious to know why Kang MinKyung is trying to call and the reporter and urging to look for him after seeing the photos.

watched Temptation of Wife and read previews of Temptation of An Angel, so I am well prepared for those craziness storyline that's going to come out with the writer :D not surprisingly to see those crazy act by the mother to use her kids to gain more fame for herself after watching first episode without sub. Overall it's a nice starting although I feel boring to see the daughter's part :sweatingbullets: Kang MinKyung is a great actress as consider this is her acting debut(if I am not mistaken)but her character in the drama just couldn't keep my interest. I would love to see more of the Kang's family which I expected more laughter and warmth from them.

Can't stop laughing when watching this part

SmileMum-Episode1-2.jpg

Hope for a better review for tonight episode :lol:

Guest pnganne

Hi,

The lady in the picture was YJH. It's present day,and YJH has already seperated from husband.She is already dating that reporter guy. The 2nd half of the episode staets to trace the events that lead to the seperation from husband and I think that will take quite a number of episodes. I've a feeling that the 3rd male lead could be the one that YJH would end up with. The mystery guy could bring in the unexpected twist to the show. YJH would not end up with the reporter bcoz of his connection with her sister-in-law. The 3rd guy would play a vital role in her rise in the political arena. Well, that juz came to my mind after watching the first episode. To be honest, I watch this show as a form of support for YJH. The rest of the cast is just not my cup of tea.

PS sorry I'm still not familiar with the characters' names.

Guest revengeoftheflowers

The second episode is MUCH, MUCH better. I actually really enjoyed it. Kim Soon Ok struck the right chord with a mix of makjang and family drama elements, and she fleshed out Lee Mi Sook's character very very well. The mother had the right amount of vulnerability and insanity in this episode.

Also, Shin Da La is SO adorable and cute! I was laughing when she was trying to dance with her sister and was failing miserably. I'm a little worried because my favorite Yun Jung Hee is becoming eclipsed by Lee Mi Sook. Isn't she the main character? She needs much more screen time.

I'm a little worried because my favorite Yun Jung Hee is becoming eclipsed by Lee Mi Sook. Isn't she the main character? She needs much more screen time.

I agree with you !!!!!! Maybe ratings will improve if they have more equal screen time for all the different plots.

I'm loving Yoon Jung Hee so far and I do hope she will get her screen time as well. I think is breaking into certain family problem..and Yoon Jung Hee is getting there

Finally.....finished watching epsd 1 with C-subs.

The first 20 minutes.....before they go back to 2 years ago. I think they intentionally left out Sin Young(Yoon Jung Hee)and only hint at what happened in the past. When Da Leh(Kang Min Kyung) was looking at the photos of Sin Young...Bok Hee (Lee MiSuk) said that Sin Young is the one trying to destroy their family.

Then at the party, before Da Leh slit her wrist...she said she can't go on living with the guilt ? Also at the car park, she said that there are no secrets in the world......What is the secret ????? Could it be that Da Leh knows about what her brother and mistress did to Sin Young....masterminded the accident that left Sin Young's daughter handicapped(?),divorcing Sin Young and separating mother and child.And her family has been covering up this crime.

And that Bok Hee is too much. I can understand why she tries so hard ...so that Da Leh can acheive success as an actress/fame.... even that does not satisfy her. She is really getting too greedy....now even wants Da Leh to marry a rich older man. There is such a thing as Karma....I think finally there will be no one left by her side, except her husband's illegitimate daughter So La, who is such an innocent soul.

Waiting for epsd 2 C subs....

I watch the two episode with out subs I know some of you as I read in your guys post it was a disappointment

drama so far but in my opinion I really like it :) Heh, just wondering I been trying to find if anyone know

which Subteam is planning to sub this Drama? I tried looking with WithS2 and it seems like their fully book

with other dramas sadly :( so if anyone have a clue please tell us here I would like to know thanks!

Also Im fixing the first post to look more presentable :)

The next episode seems to be really good when they showed a preview of episode 3 I got teary eyed during

the scene below it just so sad :'(

smilemom.png

smilemom2.png

English translation : by 百度尹晶喜吧, Keon_Ok_Kun

“Smile Mom” 13 Nov, 3rd Episode Advance Announcement

Dal-Leh temporary lost her consciousness due to mild cerebral concussion. Bok-Hee was shocked and quickly held Dal-Leh’s hand when she opened her eyes.

Bok-Hee burst into tears when Dal-Leh showed her worry about her condition. She hugged Dal-Leh, crying loudy and said that she would not let him off. She walked out of the hospital main door with a fierce expression.

“Smile Mom” 14 Nov, 4th Episode Advance Announcement

It looked like the news would be published; Mor-Lu was very frustrated and angrily told Sin-Yong to stop the publication. Sin-Yong replied that Beh Yong-Wu was not a upright person and Mr Pak, Member of Parliament, had even asked him not to create any negative news for the journalist.

While talking to Sin-Yong, Bo-Mi called Mor-Lu, he went upstairs to answer her call. He felt a light shone out from his heart. How great if he could see his success…….

Finally.....epsd 4, we get to see more of Sin-Young and Yong Wu,the reporter..they look so compatible together.

81a34fdc2f78cc6610df9b0a.jpg

Archived