[News] Drama, Movies, Actors & Actresses

Guest CindyW88

Ahn Fetes 2,000th Episode of 'Heart to Heart'

091020_p14_ahn.jpg

Cover of "Heart to Heart," the book. For the book, Ahn has selected 20 interviews including key expressions and words of inspiration from her guests. The Arirang TV's talk show, "Heart to Heart," recently marked its 2,000 th episode this month.

Arirang TV's talk show ``Heart to Heart'' started back in 2001, and after eight years of colorful guests and heartwarming stories, it marked its 2,000th episode this month.

``I don't think anybody knew, or expected the 2,000th. It was a surprise,'' Ahn Jung-hyun, the host of the show, told The Korea Times during a telephone interview.

Ahn started out as a reporter and anchor at the English-language broadcaster, and when she was offered the chance to host a talk show, she accepted the challenge.

``When you work on news, you read a script written by somebody else, but on a talk show, you can give more input,'' she said. But she added that her experience as a reporter helped.

A total of 2,004 famous and inspiring figures around the world have paid a visit to Heart to Heart, including Hong Kong action star Jackie Chan, founder of the Body Shop chain Anita Roddick and writer Alice Walker.

The show has also given Ahn many opportunities, including her post as the English presenter for the 2010 and 2014 Pyeongchang Winter Olympic bids, and she recently published a book to repay the support her viewers and fans have showed her over the years.

``I have a great job and yes, narrowing down to 20 people for the book was hard,'' she said.

``Although (the guests invited on the show) are famous, they are down-to-earth and humble. Alice Walker was such a gentle person and she had such love and passion toward people. Dr. Lee Seung-bok from Johns Hopkins Hospital is also a really nice person and when I contacted him for the book, he said it would be a great honor to be featured in the book and it was so humble for him to say that.''

The book, which has the same title as the show, offers interviews from the show, key expressions and a "Touching Words" section where readers can find inspiring advice and thoughts from the 20 guests.

Even for a veteran interviewer, research is essential to make the conversation more interesting, and Ahn says she studies her guests beforehand.

``You have to know your stuff and be able to organize your thoughts. You have to know what you are talking about and listen to the other person. I've always liked people and listening to people,'' she said.

Does Ahn watch other talk shows aired on Korean channels?

``I do. But (the guests) are mostly celebrities and many of them are for entertainment. Heart to Heart is different because we talk more about the personal side,'' said Ahn.

Interviewing 2,000 people has been a great journey, but there are still guests the host would love to welcome in the future.

``There are many people I would like to invite! U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon would be a wonderful guest as it would be a chance to know him personally. And first ladies! We have always tried hard to have them on the show, but it's been difficult,'' she said, laughing.

A distinctive feature of ``Heart to Heart'' is that it doesn't have a live audience and focuses on Ahn and her guests. But the host isn't opposed to the friendly and lively atmosphere an audience can bring.

``It's not up to me to make a decision, but I would love to try a show with an audience, laughing and crying with the guests. We'll see,'' she said hopefully.

``During an interview four years ago, a reporter asked me what my next step was and I answered, `To go up to 2,000?' Now perhaps the next step from here is to go up to 3,000. I thank the viewers and would like to tell them to continue to keep an eye on the program.''

"Heart to Heart" airs Monday through Friday at 9:30 p.m. on Arirang TV.

Credits : Han Sang-hee, Staff Reporter (sanghee@koreatimes.co.kr)

Source : The Korea Times

• Replies 10.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2009-10-21

Choi Dong-seok Talks about His Married Life

[TV Report] Anchor Choi Dong-seok, who became married to freelance anchor Park Ji-yun in September, talked about how he proposed to his then-fiancee on the KBS TV show "Champagne." He also provided a few glimpses of his newlywed life.

245_644_l.jpg

"There is a wide gap between a romantic proposal and reality," said Choi. He said that prior to proposing to Park, he sent her a short text message inviting her on "the last date as singles." But Park guessed his intentions immediately and replied by saying, "What, are you going to propose to me?" Confused, Choi ended up sending a slightly insulting message to his fiancee.

When the moment to propose arrived and Choi was ransacking his bag to find the ring, Park sensed again what he was about to do. She reached our her hand and said, "Okay, put it on my finger." Choi said his proposal was nowhere near romantic.

As to his newlywed life, Choi said that counter to his wife's public image as an elegant woman, in reality she was very charismatic and wanted to have control over everything. Choi also said that when the couple was counting the congratulatory money that they received at the wedding, his wife brought 20 yellow elastic strings and ordered him to collect the money into 200 banknote bundles and tie them with the strings.

Other guests on the show included Kim Tae-woo, Kim Hyo-jin, Chang Young-ran and Chung Hyung-don.

Broadcast Internet Media "Guide & Review" - "TV Report"

Source and press release: <Copyrightⓒ PIMedia TV Report>

By TV Report

Copyright ⓒ KBS & KBSi

Source : KBS Global

Son Ye-jin not worried over provocative roles

2009102114152586651_1.jpg

Actress Son Ye-jin speaks during a press conference for her film "White

Knight"at a Megabox theatre in Seoul, South Korea on October 21,2009.

Actress Son Ye-jin is not worried about her image becoming fixed as a provocative female despite her continued choice in such roles.

The 27-year-old actress made the remark on Wednesday during a press conference for her film tentatively titled "White Knight", where she plays a woman who tries to free herself of her tragic past that her father committed murder 14 years ago.

"It seems that many people think my image has changed but I don't think the role I play is important in choosing a film," said the actress of recently having taken on less of the typically-feminine roles in melodramas, and instead playing characters such as a divorcee or one in an extramarital love affair.

She had most recently won the award for Best Actress at the 2008 Blue Dragon Film Awards for her role as an open-minded married woman in multiple relationships in film "My Wife is Married".

She went onto explain, "I'm not pressured by the roles I take on because us actors are seen for who we are within the film. I haven't ever thought about being misunderstood as actually being like the characters I play."

"Knight", based on Japanese author Keigo Higashino's novel "Byakuyako", is about a former police detective who tries to track down the daughter of a killer and the victim's son.

Critically acclaimed actor Han Suk-kyu of hit Korean film "Swiri" will star as the detective and Ko Soo, making a comeback to the big screen for the first time in four years after completing mandatory military service last year, will play the victim's son.

The thriller pic, helmed jointly by directors Kang Woo-suk and newcomer Park Shin-woo, is set for release on November 19.

Reporter : Ko Kyoung-seok kave@asiae.co.kr

Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@asiae.co.kr

<ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved>

Cast of "White Knight" attend press conference

2009102114115460682_1.jpg

The cast and director of film "White Knight" [Lee Ki-bum/Asia Economic Daily]

From left, actor Ko Soo, actress Son Ye-jin, actor Han Suk-kyu and director Park Shin-woo pose during a photo session of a press conference for their film "White Knight" held at a Megabox theater in Seoul, South Korea on October 21, 2009.

2009102114115460682_2.jpg

Cast of film "White Knight" [Lee Ki-bum/Asia Economic Daily]

From left, actor Ko Soo, actress Son Ye-jin and actor Han Suk-kyu pose during a photo session of a press conference for their film "White Knight" held at a Megabox theater in Seoul, South Korea on October 21, 2009.

Photographer : Lee Ki-bum metro83@asiae.co.kr

2009-10-21

'Three Brothers' Gets Off to Promising Start

The new weekend drama "Three Brothers" has shown signs of becoming another hit just like its predecessor "My Too Perfect Sons," which enjoyed great popularity, with viewer ratings reaching as high as 50 percent.

The first episode of the drama on October 17 recorded 24.3 percent ratings and the second episode the next day 28.2 percent, apparently thanks to solid performances by the cast and people's curiosity over what drama would succeed the mega hit "My Too Perfect Sons."

Written by Moon Young-nam, the scriptwriter of a series of hit dramas including "The First Wives' Club," "Famous Princesses," and "War of Roses," the drama deals with love and hate in a family, revolving around three brothers and their wives.

244_642_l.jpg

▲ Three brothers and their parents

The eldest brother, Kim Geon-gang (Ahn Nae-sang), fails to accomplish what the family expects of him as the eldest son, and this makes him timid and and involved in conflict with his younger brother, Hyeon-chal (O Dae-kyu) who has to take responsibility for supporting the family. The youngest brother, Yi-sang (Lee Jun-hyuk) is a policeman, following in his father's footsteps.

The rookie actress Oh Ji-eun, playing the girlfriend of Yi-sang, showed off an eye-catching performance as she both threatened and pled with her boyfriend, who said he wanted to break up with her.

But as there are concerns over similarities to the characters of its predecessor, it remains to be seen how well the drama will stand on its own merits.

"Three Brothers" airs on Saturdays and Sundays at 7:55 p.m. on KBS2.

Writer: KBSi Jin Yeong-ju

Copyright ⓒ KBS & KBSi

[10LINE] Lee Min-ho

Lee Min-ho

He fell over at the Paeksang Arts Awards. And you'll see a flood of photographs from his past pop up when you search him on the Internet. He also had a girlfriend. And he was unknown for a long time. But that's not all of it. Here is who really is -- from Lee Min-ho until he became Goo Joon-pyo.

2009102118103297140_1.jpg

Clockwise from top center, soccer coach Cha Beom-keun, actress Park Bo-young,

producer Song Byung-joon, actor Jung Il-woo and siger Kang Min-kyung. [10Asia]

Cha Beom-keun

Soccer team Suwon Samsung Blue Wings head coach. Lee knows how to write with his left hand because he could not use his right arm for a while after injuring it practicing for Cha's soccer class which he attended for six years. Lee also appeared as a high-school soccer player with an uncertain future in EBS drama "Secret Garden" in 2006 and enjoys playing soccer game Winning Eleven with his actor friend Jung Il-woo. Lee also enjoyed playing computer game Warcraft and stories of his playing still appear on the Internet. He spent his teens like the normal students around him, playing games and managing his homepage accounts.

Han Soo-han

Director of Lee's agency Starhaus Entertainment. Han says he thought of Lee as a happy-go-lucky type of person when he saw him sleeping sprawled out on the couch of their office. But Lee was not a teenager without worries. Lee decided for himself and managed to persuade his parents during high school that he would become an actor while thinking about his future. That is why, on Lee's school records, his parents wrote that their son's dream was to become a computer programmer in 10th grade, a company employee in 11th grade and then a celebrity in his final year. Han said he trusted in Lee's success from the fact that different from others his age, Lee tried to take his time, one step after another, to become an actor. That is why he gained experience during his career through minor roles in dramas, TV commercials and the transformed version of singer MC Mong after he receives plastic surgery or dressing up as a woman.

Park Bo-young

Actress. Park and Lee appeared together in several dramas and movies including dramas "Secret Garden", "Mackerel Run" and film "Our School E.T.". They are so close that Lee's nickname on social networking website Cyworld between the two was "You trust me, right?" Lee also appeared alongside actress Moon Chae-won in "Mackerel" and "E.T". They all became the new young stars, with Lee and Park meeting again as winners at the Paeksang Arts Awards and with Moon, shooting a TV commercial. But "Mackerel" is not just a drama Lee appeared in before he got famous. It did not see much success but the teen drama gave the young actors, such as Lee, to improve on their acting. It would not be an overstatement to say that Lee's acting in KBS TV series "Boys Over Flowers" where he goes back and forth between traditional and comedy acting was polished in "Mackerel" and being rebellious toward his mother came from "Secret Garden". That is the reason why there is controversy of the producing of "Boys" but not over the acting of its main actors. It is also the reason why teen dramas should be continued to be made.

Song Byung-joon

Producer of "Boys Over Flowers". Song auditioned over 300 actors before finding Lee for the part. Song said he had Lee audition because he liked a photograph his acquaintance had of him in her mobile phone. Lee won over Song by wearing the same hairstyle as Tsukasa from the original comic book. Director Jeon Ki-sang later said he wondered why such an actor had not become famous yet.

Jung Il-woo

Actor. He is Lee's best friend and the two have also lived close to each other since they were young. They are such good friends that they watched four episodes of Jung's drama "Iljimae" together. Lee said he first thought Jung "looked feminine." The two, who almost appeared together in sitcom "Unstoppable High Kick", became even closer when they got in a car accident together. Lee had to have a 47-centimeter long steel pin inserted into his leg and stopped all his activities for seven months. He said he was able to think about many things while lying in the hospital bed at the time.

Mickey Mouse

Disney's animation character. He is the background image on Lee's cellphone. Or to be more precise, it is a photograph of a human wearing a mask of a slightly somber-looking Mickey Mouse. Lee said he likes it because it "gives off double-sided vibe". Lee analyzed Goo as a character with many loopholes so he expressed him not only as a an heir with a finicky character who likes luxurious things but also as one who can call for food in an unaffected manner.

Kang Min-kyung

Member of girl group Davichi. She had been close friends with Lee from a long time ago which was why they were rumored to be dating. Photographs of Lee with his ex-girlfriend, rumors of him dating other celebrities and photos from the wrap-up party for his drama float around on the Internet. But Lee does not fret over these nor do they influence his popularity. The various experiences he went through with friends his own age before he became popular might rather be a precious asset for him. He has become such an expert at dealing with odd situations or questions that he knows how not to answer when asked whether he is dating actress Ku Hye-sun or will say "I'm trying hard" when told he should appear in many commercials to make a lot of money. Such actions or words coming from a star these days is refreshing and could only be made possible in someone who spent many years unknown and had much time to think about himself while experiencing normal life.

Lee Jae-dong

TV series director. He produced MBC TV series "Get Up" which Lee starred in. Lee says he learned how to free himself of 'fake acting' in the drama. His acting career took a new turn while playing a high-school student who is unsure of his future. His teary eyes when defying against his mother in "Boys" or the piercing eyes in the first scene of "Public Enemy Returns" were all acting he had shown us in "Get Up". Lee Jae-dong asked Lee to take actual hits in scenes he fights with friends or receives punishment from the teacher, and such experiences taught him how to immerse into his characters. After he was casted for "Boys", he started calling his manager by his title rather than 'hyung' which means 'older brother' in Korean, to get used to his character Goo Joon-pyo. Of course, we cannot say that his acting is technically amazing as of yet. But the reason he can go back and forth naturally between serious and comical acting is because he understands the tone of acting necessary in playing such a character.

Kim Soo-ro

Actor with whom he appeared in film "E.T." Lee says he was deeply moved by Kim who always reflects back on his own actions. And just like Kim did, he says it is his dream to become successful enough to fill up an apple box full of 10,000 Korean won cash notes and hand it to his mother. Lee actually did hand his parents all of the money he received upon signing with his agency upon his debut. But Lee has now become a star who, like he says, can and "will appear only in TV commercials suiting his image."

Goo Joon-pyo

The role Lee played in "Boys Over Flowers". He is called by the name as often he is called by his real name and is so popular that it is impossible for him to eat a meal properly at a restaurant. Everyone is extremely interested in every single detail about him and all sorts of rumors and presumptions constantly follow him around. Some people say he is overrated. And of course, the explosive interest in him will die down one day. His career may never again reach the pinnacle it did while he playing Goo Joon-pyo. But without doubt, his life from now on will be much better than the years he spent unknown and the seven months he spent in the hospital from a car accident. His career is proof that he did not become a star overnight but took the long way round. Goo Joon-pyo made Lee a star but Lee lived his life as best he could before becoming Goo. We hope he will continue to do so.

Senior Reporter : Kang Myoung-Seok <two@10asia.co.kr>

Editor : Jessica Kim <jesskim@asiae.co.kr>, Lee Ji-Hye <seven@10asia.co.kr>

21-10-2009

Actor Cho Yeon-woo Will Tie Knot With Collegian

091021_p17_actor.jpg

Actor Cho Yeon-woo

Popular actor Cho Yeon-woo, 38, is set to tie the knot on Dec. 15 with a college student 16 years his junior, his agency said Wednesday.

His wife-to-be, 22, identified only as Cha, is a senior dance major at the Korea National University of Arts. They have been dating for about two years since meeting in 2007 through a blind date arranged by their colleagues.

Cho first announced the wedding plan at a gathering of his colleagues to celebrate the final taping of an MBC TV drama.

``I have been very cautious about the marriage because of the wide age gap. But now I really thank my bride for trusting and following me,'' he told a local daily. ``We originally planned to hold a wedding ceremony in May, but brought it forward after getting full support from our parents.''

After making his debut in the TV drama ``All In'' in 2002, the model-turned-actor has broadened his fan base with appearances on hit dramas such as ``Yi San.''

Credits : chojh@koreatimes.co.kr

Source : Tke Korea Times

21-10-2009

Son Ye-jin, Ko Soo to Bring Mystery Romance

091021_p16_son.jpg

Actors Son Ye-jin, left, and Ko Soo are

featured in a poster for "Baekyahaeng"

(Walking the White Night), a melodramatic

thriller slated to hit theaters on Nov.19./

Courtesy of Cinema Service/CJ Entertainment

Actor Ko Soo returns to the screen after a five-year hiatus in the melodramatic thriller ``Baekyahaeng'' (Walking the White Night) opposite top stars Son Ye-jin and Han Seok-gyu.

``I suppose it was a short yet long period of time,'' said Ko about being off the public radar during a promotional event for the movie in Seoul, Wednesday, before its release in theaters next month. The 31-year-old, who had been a sweetheart among fans for popular TV soap roles (``Green Rose,'' SBS 2005), appeared in the play ``The Return of Mr. Um'' after completing his two-year mandatory military service.

``I read the script for `Baekyahaeng' and was completely absorbed by the intriguing storyline,'' he said.

The film, based on the best-selling Japanese mystery novel of the same name (``Byakuyako'' in Japanese) by Keigo Higashino, begins with a murder. When a man is brutally killed not long after being released from prison, detective Dong-su (Han) looks back into a homicide case that occurred 14 years ago and immediately senses that the murder victim's son (Ko) is involved with the recent killing.

Meanwhile, Si-yeong (Lee Min-jung), assistant to a young chaebol head, is asked to do a background check on her boss' fianc?e Mi-ho (Son) who seems too perfect to be true. Mi-ho's mother had been the prime suspect in the case 14 years ago, and Si-yeong soon notices a mysterious man (Go) who lingers by Mi-ho's side like a shadow.

Newcomer director Park Shin-woo said that he was deeply impressed by the original Japanese novel and was inspired to write the script. ``I sent a copy of the script to the author and he said it was well adapted for a movie, that it was superb. This was very encouraging for a first time filmmaker,'' he said.

Putting together such an impressive cast was exciting, said Park. The director revealed that he was actually study buddies with Son back in Daegu.

``We hung out as part of a high school study group and we all went to eat rice cakes afterward. The director was more like a talkative older sister than a brother,'' said the 27-year-old actress, adding that she was surprised to reunite with him 10 years later.

``Son was like a younger sister and I never imagined she'd become an actress. She was very quiet back then. I've seen her onscreen and thought she was very talented because she pulled off characters that were so different from how she was like in real person,'' said the director.

Son was the only actress to be offered the part. ``It is extremely flattering to be the only one considered. The project is like destiny for me,'' she said.

Han, on the other hand, said he initially turned down the role of the detective. The 44-year-old did not feel confident about having to pull off a 50-year-old.

``I wished I would have been 10 years older, so I refused the part. But the director wrote me a handwritten letter explaining why he had to use me for the part… When I met him I was convinced by his sincerity, and I thought perhaps I wasn't challenging myself enough as an actor,'' said Han.

The movie was much-talked about in the local film industry even before the star-studded cast was finalized. For the first time in South Korea, animatics were employed in the pre-production process. A ``rough draft'' of the film was made through a two-hour long, computer graphics and animation-rendered images.

The project is also attracting attention for being produced by director Kang Woo-suk (``Public Enemy Returns'').

``Frankly I'm not a big fan of works based on Japanese comic books or novels. But I read this story and thought the cultural values and sentiments were very relatable,'' said Kang. ``I've never held a promotional press event for own directorial pieces but I came here because I really believe in this project and our young director who helmed it.

``It's meaningful that we are adapting a bestselling Japanese novel here in Korea before Japan, and I hope that fans of the novel in Japan will enjoy the movie version. I also hope this will revitalize hallyu (Korean wave) content,'' he said.

Credits : Lee Hyo-won, Staff Reporter (hyowlee@koreatimes.co.kr)

Source : The Korea Times

Park Yong-ha attracts 2,000 to Hawaii concert

2009102116280330217_1.jpg

Singer and actor Park Yong-ha [YONA Entertainment]

Hallyu star Park Yong-ha held his second concert in Hawaii last week, attracting 2,000 fans to the Hawaii Convention Center, according to his agency on Wednesday.

YONA Entertainment said that about 1,000 fans from Hawaii and another 1,000 from Japan attended the concert held Saturday, which comes three years after his first show.

The concert was held in time with 'Yong-ha Day' which was three days prior to it. Fans in the state celebrate every October 14 which is the day the actor debuted.

During the show, the 32-year-old star also talked about his upcoming plans for his eighth single set for release in Japan on November 18. The song is also the main soundtrack for Fuji TV's new drama, translated into "Xmas Miracle", set for premiere on November 2.

Park has been popular in several countries and particularly Japan since appearing alongside top Hallyu stars Bae Yong-joon and Choi Ji-woo in 2002 hit TV series "Winter Sonata".

2009102116280330217_2.jpg

2009102116280330217_3.jpg

2009102116280330217_4.jpg

Reporter : Lim Hye-seon lhsro@asiae.co.kr

Actor Kim Kang-woo holds fan meeting in Japan

2009102109122600991_1.jpg

Hallyu star Kim Kang-woo sings for fans at his fan meeting in Japan

Korean actor Kim Kang-woo held his first fan meeting in Japan, singing and cooking for fans, according to his agency on Wednesday.

The Hallyu star held a fan meeting at Tokyo FM Hall on Sunday, which was attended by 150 fans and numerous media companies including network television broadcasters TBS and Fuji TV, and Hallyu-related magazines Hallyu Pia, String and KW.

Kim reportedly received vocals lessons for two months to perform for fans at the event.

"It's not common for me sing with a microphone in public," the 31-year-old actor was quoted as saying. "I practiced singing in a small studio to try to overcome stage fright for the first fan meeting."

2009102109122600991_3.jpg

Kim cooks Korean food for the Japanese fans

He also cooked kimchi fried rice, which he ate with the fans, and read a letter he had written for them.

"I would like thank all the fans who have continuously supported me," the star said of his fans after the three-hour fan meeting ended. "I will try to be an actor who touches your hearts with more sincere acting."

Kim, who debuted in 2002 in the film "Coast Guard", recently appeared in the TV series "A Man's Story" with fellow Hallyu star Park Yong-ha.

He has also starred in many movies including last year's "Marine Boy" and "The Railroad" in 2007 for which he won Best Actor award at the 25th Torino Film Festival.

2009102109122600991_2.jpg

Actor Kim Kang-woo at his fan meeting in Japan

Reporter : Ko Jea-wan <star@asiae.co.kr>

Editor : Lynn Kim <lynn2878@asiae.co.kr>

“Mother” dances in New York

2009102123182151949_1.jpg

A scene from film "Mother" [CJ Entertainment]

The 47th New York Film Festival (NYFF), held from September 25 to October 11, ended with director Pedro Almodovar's film “Broken Embraces”. This year’s festival, which showed 29 films from 17 countries, featured a special showing of silent film “Crossroads of Youth” by Korean filmmaker Kim Tae-yong which invited its narrator Cho Hee-bong, a small band and some singers to the event -- drawing much attention from the New Yorkers. Some of the comments from people who watched “Crossroads” included “The cinematography was very sophisticated for a film made in the 30s” and that “the narrator’s narration was very entertaining”. Due to everyone’s busy schedules, the “Crossroads” team only had a brief rehearsal on set before the day of showing but the response from the audience at NYFF was so positive that they had a second showing at Yale University.

In addition, the film “Mother”, which was selected for the finals, attracted a huge crowd which filled up the Alice Tully Hall at Lincoln Center where the festival was held. During the Q&A session after the showing, the audience asked various and detailed questions such as the meaning of the dance shown at the beginning and end of the movie, the reason one mother asked an inmate in prison if he “has any parents” and how the music was chosen for the film. Director Bong Joon-ho introduced music director Lee Byung-woo as “a very famous guitarist in Korea who worked on my last film ‘The Host’”. He also confessed that “we get into monstrous fights when we work together but I think something creative comes out of that process.” Both films, “Crossroads” and “Mother”, drew positive reactions but the subtitle and interpretation for the movies left much disappointment.

This year’s NYFF opened with famous French director Alain Resnais' new film “Wild Grass”. The director Resnais himself, along with actors Andre Dussollier and Mathieu Amalric delighted fans by attending the fest. In addition, director Lee Daniels’ “Precious: Based on the Novel Push by Sapphire”, which won the Grand Jury Prize and the Audience Award at this year’s Sundance Film Festival, was also shown to the audience. Set in one of the slums of New York's neighborhoods during the late 80s, “Precious” is about a sixteen-year-old girl finding confidence and standing on her own feet after being sexually molested by her parents. In particular, actress Mo'Nique’s portrayal of the girl’s cruel mother drew talk of an Academy Award nomination while the film also drew attention for Mariah Carey and Lenny Kravitz playing supporting roles in the film.

Other films shown at the festival included: director Michael Haneke’s “The White Ribbon”, which won the Palme d’Or at the 62nd Cannes Film Festival and was invited to the 14th Pusan International Film Festival; “Antichrist” by Lars von Trier, “Life During Wartime” by Todd Solondz, “Bluebeard” by Catherine Breillat, “Independencia” by Raya Martin, “White Material” by Claire Denis and “Everyone Else” by Maren Ade “Lebanon” by Samuel Maoz.

However, this year’s NYFF received criticism that not only were most of the films invited already shown and awarded at other international festivals, but they were also dark and cruel. This year's films in particular were accused of being selected by critics, not curators, of the festival. In the past, NYFF was a good opportunity for curious movie fans in New York to approach films that were not very accessible. But this year, it was disappointing that many of the movies seemed to demand “only positive reactions” because they had already been selected at other film festivals.

Reporter: Yang Ji-hyun (10Asia New York Correspondent)

Editor : Lynn Kim <lynn2878@asiae.co.kr>, Jang Kyung-Jin <three@10asia.co.kr>

2009-10-22

Festival shows hanbok for everyday

200910220004.jpg

A design by Lee Rhee Za [Model Center International] / KimHye- soon`s work featured in

"Hwangjini" [Model Center International]

The traditional Korean dress, hanbok, has been a valuable cultural asset that has long-represented Korea. Yet, despite Koreans' love for the outfit and its growing international recognition, large-scale events featuring the costume are hard to come by.

The 2009 Hanbok Sarang Festival, taking place Friday and Saturday at Deoksugung Palace in central Seoul, is an effort to give hanbok the chance in the spotlight it deserves. Also, the event is to promote hanbok as an everyday clothing rather than something to be worn only on traditional holidays. This is the second year of the annual event.

"Hanbok Sarang Festival is aimed towards engraving hanbok in people's minds as a daily wear, not just for special occasions," said Toh Shin-woo, the president of Model Center International. The company hosts the event as well as the biannual Pret-a-Porter Busan.

"Popularizing hanbok will not be easy but we hope to change people's perception at least a little through the event. We think hanbok can be internationalized only when Koreans first start wearing them a lot."

The festival will feature collections by local hanbok designers including Lee Rhee Za and Kim Hye-soon, first-generation designers who are renowned for having contributed to making the outfit more high-end and thus used for contemporary weddings.

Visitors can also enjoy different styles of hanbok from the different periods of Korean history through designs which have been featured on popular local television dramas. The list includes "Hwangjini," "The Great Queen Seondeok" and "Jumong." Some scenes from the dramas will also be recreated.

Around 200 models, including actors Lim Ho and Kim Seung-soo, will walk down the runway. Some foreign ambassadors to Korea and their spouses are also included on the list, according to organizers.

Meanwhile, up-and-coming designers and student's creations selected through a preliminary will be shown at Onnuri Fashion Show on Saturday. The winner from the show will receive an award by the culture minister and a prize of 5 million won ($4,247).

Toh said the festival will present some modernized hanbok as well.

Although he worries that modernized hanbok might lose their Korean identity, Toh said he thinks that developing new styles and modifying designs are desirable for making hanbok more wearable.

Other traditional Korean activities like natural dyeing, tea making and make-up will also be offered to visitors to experience more of Korean culture.

"We think holding this kind of quality festival regularly is most important at the moment to draw people's attention to hanbok," said a festival spokesperson.

Visitors dressed in hanbok can enter the festival free of charge and also receive a gift. Entrance is also free for those who have downloaded and printed their tickets from www.hanboksarang.kr, the show's website.

For details on the 2009 Hanbok Sarang Festival, call (02) 528-0888.

Credits : youngaah@heraldm.com

Source : The Korea Herald

October 22, 2009

(Movie Review)

'Paju' examines female psyche through forbidden love, social disorder

SEOUL, Oct. 22 (Yonhap) -- A girl is convinced her brother-in-law killed her sister. While halfheartedly investigating the mysterious death, she comes upon an unexpected realization: That she is in love with him.

Through this simple narrative, "Paju" examines a girl's maturation and contradicting emotions, drawing a realistic picture of modern femininity free of the stereotypes often found in South Korean cinema.

Jung-sik (Lee Sun-kyun), suffering from the guilt that he caused a tragedy involving his first love and her family, escapes to Paju, an underdeveloped and desolate city just north of Seoul.

20091022085514_bodyfile.jpg

There he meets Eun-su (Shim Yi-young), whom he is briefly married to before her death, and ends up living with her much younger sister Eun-mo (Seo Woo).

While believing her brother-in-law killed her sister for insurance money, Eun-mo finds herself falling in love with him, the sole guardian and grownup in the lonely girl's life.

A grim, foggy locale rife with its own contradictions and uncomfortable social politics due to its strong military presence -- Korean, American, and North Korean -- Paju acts as a perfect backdrop for the internal mess of the characters.

Whether she liked it or not, filmmaker Park Chan-ok was once considered a "female version of director Hong Sang-soo" for the male-centered portraits of society and relationships in her debut "Jealousy is My Middle Name (2002)," despite her gender.

20091022085549_bodyfile.jpg

In her second feature "Paju," the director appears to have rid herself of the influence of her mentor, creating a unique film that proves her first success was no fluke.

"I stopped (filming) because I could not make any more modifications to it," said Park, who took almost seven years to complete her second feature, at the movie's Seoul preview Wednesday. "I wanted to talk about emotions shared by two people who are similarly alone."

While vividly depicting the girl's maturation, "Paju" also spends a great deal of time tracking the changes in the male character Jung-sik.

A former democratic activist student, he strives to wipe out his guilt about his first love as well as his growing emotions for his young sister-in-law by working as a night school teacher and fighting with evictees against city development.

20091022085601_bodyfile.jpg

Through Jung-sik's life, the movie delves into the disorders in contemporary South Korean society, creating a story separate, yet overlapping, with the forbidden romance between in-laws.

The narrative is unkind to the audience at times, making some bold abbreviations and often retrograding time sequence to follow the characters' emotions. As a result, the film hoards up, throughout its lengthy running time, a mysterious aura that resembles the gray background and the modern Korean society.

Actor Lee Sun-kyun appears to shine at his best in the film, breathing some reality into Jung-sik, who could easily have become a dull character if someone else played him. Emerging actress Seo Woo also delivers one of the most believable depictions of conflicted female emotion put on film in Korea.

Invited to the Pusan International Film Festival's competition section New Currents this year, the movie, with a running time of 111 minutes, will hit the local theaters on Oct. 29.

Credits : Shin Hae-in (hayney@yna.co.kr)

Source : Yonhap News

October 22, 2009

Six filmmakers confront the struggle of the second time

‘These budding directors shot their first films when Korean cinema was at its peak, so it’s no wonder they now feel pressure.’ -PIFF programmer

21230253.jpg

Six emerging Korean directors returning to the 14th Pusan International Film Festival with their

second feature films participate in “Open Talk No. 2,” held during this year’s PIFF. Provided by PIFF

The “sophomore slump” refers to when a second effort fails to meet the standards or expectations of the first. It affects bands, performers and artists of all types - and movie directors are no exception.

Six emerging Korean directors discussed the pressure and the anxiety they felt while making their second films, as well as the challenges of dealing with the changing landscape of filmmaking in Korea at “Open Talk No. 2” during the Pusan International Film Festival, which closed its nine-day run last Friday.

The six directors - Park Chan-ok, Lee Song Hee-il, Lee Seong-han, Lee Hey-jun, Kim Tai-sik and Kim Dong-won - first gained recognition for their debut features at previous Pusan film festivals, and returned to this year’s event with their second works.

“I feel like I keep growing through filmmaking, even though growing up is something one can look forward to and be afraid of at the same time,” said Lee Song Hee-il, who is well-known for his films, which deal mostly with homosexuality.

The director returned to PIFF this year with “Break Away,” which had its world premiere there and tells the story of runaway soldiers. His first feature, “No Regret,” a gay romance, premiered at PIFF three years ago.

“I feel like a little child who is just about to learn how to walk,” Lee Song said. “In the beginning, people always cheer for you, but once people think you’ve learned, they just leave it to you and see whether you can do it for yourself.

“It’s the same for movie directors - people encourage you when you shoot your first film, considering you yet as a child. But they don’t treat you the same the second time, and I have a feeling that they’ll be even more critical of my third film,” he said.

Lee Hey-jun, whose second feature, “Castaway on the Moon” came out early this year, had a similar experience with his second film.

“With the pressure building, I found it harder and more complicated to make a second film,” said Lee Hey-jun.

Castaway on the Moon starred actor Jung Jae-young and actress Jung Rye-won and illustrates an unexpected encounter between a man living on an uninhabited island on the Han River in Seoul and a lonely young woman living a detached life in the city.

“I realized that as a commercial film director I can’t just make the film that I want to make ? instead, I have to consider the audience,” said the director, whose 2006 debut feature “Like a Virgin” did not do well at the box office here despite having drawn acclaim from local critics.

“I had to understand the fact that my interests don’t always match the audience’s, and there was also the pressure of making a return on the investments in my film,” Lee said.

Park Chan-ok, the director of the multiple award-winning 2002 film, “Jealousy is My Middle Name,” returned to this year’s PIFF to win the Netpac (Network for the Promotion of Asian Cinema) award with her second feature “Paju,” a film about the subtle romance between a man and his dead wife’s sister.

Park also talked about the uncertainty that comes with being a filmmaker as she discussed her seven-year hiatus from the business.

21230307.jpg

“These budding directors shot their first films when Korean cinema was at the peak of a brisk market,” said Lee Sang-yong, the programmer of Korean films for the Busan film festival. “So it’s no wonder that they now feel pressure.

“In addition, the investment environment in the film industry has changed completely, and many local filmmakers actually disappear after their first film.”

Funding for Korean films declined last year, as a survey conducted by the Korean Film Council indicates. In 2008, the average production cost for Korean films saw a significant decrease to early 2000 levels of 3 billion won ($2.5 million).

The number of films with a budget of less than 1 billion won was 38, accounting for 35.2 percent of the movies released last year. This is in contrast to previous years when the majority of commercial films had budgets of 3 billion won to 6 billion won.

To cope with the situation, filmmaker Kim Dong-won scaled back his budget to make his second feature, “Drifting Away.” In its depiction of a married theater actor’s affair with an actress, the film reveals a cross section of Korean society while also portraying the local theater community. Kim’s debut feature, “Bet on My Disco,” had a bigger budget, he said.

Meanwhile, Lee Seong-han, whose debut feature “Spare” was shown at the Busan film festival two years ago, decided to take a different route to filmmaking.

He established his own production company to make his first film. The company also produced his latest feature, “Wish,” which depicts the violence resident in Korean society through a local high school student’s coming-of-age story.

“[setting up my own production company] turned out to be good for me because I can do what I want more freely,” said Lee.

Kim Tai-sik, who made his feature film debut with “Driving with My Wife’s Lover” in 2006, made another road movie, “Tokyo Taxi,” for this year’s PIFF.

21230326.jpg

“The other day a foreign moviegoer called me the ‘taxi director,’ which actually sounds similar to my real name,” Kim said with a smile.

But he grew more serious when talking about his profession.

“I was originally a producer of commercials and TV programs, and was a latecomer to the movie industry. I thought it would be great to tell my own stories through film, but now I realize that filmmaking is a costly and complicated job,” Kim said.

He added, half-jokingly, “I don’t recommend it as an occupation.”

However, Kim Dong-won seems to have a more positive view of his chosen profession, saying he finds it is more like an internal struggle that grows more intense as the process continues.

“The filmmaking process itself is like a struggle with the self because you have to work until you are satisfied with the outcome and I feel like I get to know myself better while making films,” he said. “I’d like to be making films with the same energy and passion as I had at the beginning.”

Credits : Park Sun-young [spark0320@joongang.co.kr]

Source : JoongAng Daily

October 22, 2009

Actors fight against movie thefts

This year's Pusan International Film Festival provided the perfect platform for a public campaign against illegal movie downloading. The Good Downloader campaign was launched by an ad-hoc task force organized by the Korean Film Council and supported by the Culture Ministry.

"I ask all of you to be good downloaders so that we can continue to see a lot of good movies and enjoy film festivals like PIFF," said actress Uhm Jung-hwa, one of 12 celebrities supporting the campaign.

"Reckless, illegal movie downloading online decreases the quality of all Korean films " said actor Jang Dong-gun. "So it affects not only actors and movie industry officials, but also cinema audiences. It's a matter of grave concern because it gnaws at the local film industry."

Movie downloading became a hot issue recently when illegal copies of the Korean blockbuster "Haeundae" began circulating even before the film had finished its theatrical run.

Veteran actor Ahn Sung-ki, who heads the celebrity group, says this campaign is different from previous ones calling for bans on free online downloading. Rather, it encourages downloading at authorized sites.

"Legal movie downloading can actually help boost the local film industry by offering a new profit structure," Ahn said.

According to actor Park Joong-hoon, also involved in the campaign, the local film industry was estimated to be worth 1.3 trillion won ($1.1 billion) as of 2006, whereas the illegal download market was worth 600 billion won.

Surprisingly, public awareness about the illegality of movie downloading has decreased in recent years. According to the Korean Film Council, 65.3 percent of people responding to a survey said they were aware that movie downloading at an unauthorized site was illegal in 2005. But the number declined to 56.6 percent in 2006, 46.8 percent in 2007 and 42.8 percent last year.

From left: Ahn Sung-ki, Ha Ji-won, Kim Ha-neul, Uhm Jung-hwa, Jang Dong-gun and Park Joong-hoon support the Good Downloader campaign at the PIFF Village outdoor stage on the second day of the international film festival. [YONHAP]

Credits : Park Sun-young [spark0320@joongang.co.kr]

October 22, 2009

[Talk of the town]

Actors strike a pose

21225434.jpg

Korean actor Lee Byung-hun and Hollywood star Josh Hartnett

Korean actor Lee Byung-hun and Hollywood star Josh Hartnett are featured in the latest issue of Vogue Korea. The two actors starred alongside Japanese actor Takuya Kimura in the recent thriller “I Come With the Rain” and also attended the Pusan International Film Festival earlier this month. The photo shoot - taken at a hotel at Haeundae in Busan - revolved around the “Macho Man” concept, which was popular in Italy in the 1950s.

The two developed a close friendship after attending numerous events together. “I only slept two hours and had to do an interview but I was happy because Lee was with me,” Hartnett told Vogue Korea. Lee reportedly even picked up Hartnett at Incheon airport and drove him to Busan. The photos will be featured in the November issue of Vogue Korea.

Credits : Yim Seung-hye {Contributing Writer}

'2 Days' Ratings Top 30% for 7th Wk, Kim C's Abs Attract Envy

The popular travel reality segment "Two Days and One Night" on leading KBS entertainment program "Happy Sunday" posted 33.7% (TNS Media Korea) in viewer ratings for its latest Sunday episode, to top 30% for the 7th straight week

243_640_l.jpg

▲ Scene from "Happy Sunday-Two Days and One Night" Sun. episode

On Sunday, 2 Days featured a fall special of "valley hiking" as the cast members traveled to Deokpung Valley in Samcheok, Gangwon Province.

They played games involving autumn songs to win the lunch menu amid a stunning backdrop of fall foliage. Viewers loved the fall-themed episode.

While the six cast members were carrying out the day's mission, the scrawny Kim C turned into Bruce Lee (or "Bruce Kim") and showed off his surprisingly muscular abs, to the envy of the other cast.

On the program's homepage after the show, viewers wrote “Kim C's great body coupled with the scenic nature made a postcard-like view," "Their way of hiking was creative," “The songs they listened to in the car made perfect background music for autumn," to name a few of the rave reviews.

At the end of the program, there was an announcement regarding applications for the second round of a 2 Days special edition to be participated in by ordinary citizens.

The other Happy Sunday segment "What Makes a Man" also entered double digit viewer ratings. Happy Sunday airs every Sunday at 5:20 p.m. on KBS2TV.

Writer : KBSi Jin Young-ju

Copyright ⓒ KBS &KBSi

Daejong committee plays down nom controversy

2009102211332738657_1.jpg

Poster for film "Sky and Sea" starring Jang Nara. [JNdivertisseme]

The organizing committee for the Daejong Film Awards issued a statement on Thursday, playing down controversy over this year's nominations.

The committee had been under heat since announcing its selections the previous day, particularly over its decision to drop actress Ha Ji-won who starred in two hit films this year but pick Jang Nara whose film is set for release October 29.

The statement started by addressing the debate over Jang's film, explaining that films submitted "must have completed production within the time frame set by the committee and must have been released or is waiting to, to be considered for nomination."

"Accordingly, 'Sky and Sea', which also completed filming within the required time frame, is also eligible for entry," the committee stated. The committee had stated it would look into films produced between May 1 last year and September 4 this year.

It went onto explain how actress Ha had not been nominated for Best Actress. "The awards does not base its judgement on an individual actor but the character the actor plays in the film and the votes may split if an actor starred in multiple films," an official was quoted as saying.

"The decision was based on an absolute scale and the votes for Ha got divided -- the first as the Ha Ji-won for 'Haeundae' and the other as Ha Ji-won for 'Closer to Heaven," the official went on to explain.

Ha had starred in both films this year -- summer blockbuster "Haeundae" which attracted nearly 11.4 million viewers to become the fourth most-watched film of all time and "Closer to Heaven" which topped the box office for three weeks and has grossed over 2 million viewers since opening in late September.

The committee ended its statement by saying it will carry start carrying out its final judging starting October 26 by a panel composed of both experts and the general public.

The awards, now into its 46th year, will take place November 6 at the Olympic Park in Seoul.

Editor : Jessica Kim <jesskim@asiae.co.kr>

Reporter : Ko Kyoung-seok <kave@asiae.co.kr>

"Iris" sets eyes on breaking 30% rating

2009102218105451623_1.jpg

Poster for KBS TV series "Iris" [KBS]

KBS TV series "Iris" is only three episodes into showing but surveys indicate the spy drama may soon breach the 30 percent mark.

According to TNS Media Korea on Thursday, "Iris" topped its TV chart with a viewership rating of 27.9 percent the previous night, gaining 2.6 percent from its previous episode. The first episode, aired on October 14, saw ratings of 24.5 percent.

AGB Nielsen Media Research also said the Wednesday and Thursday night drama gained last night, reporting a 25.9 percent rating compared to a 23 percent rating last week. "Iris" took first place on AGB's daily TV chart also.

Several of South Korea's top actors including Lee Byung-hun, Kim Tae-hee and Jung Jun-ho star in the drama which was in production for over a year in several countries including Korea, Japan and Hungary.

Credits : Jessica Kim jesskim@asiae.co.kr

Ha Ji-won says she respects Daejong's decision

2009102217235940202_1.jpg

South Korean actress Ha Ji-won attends a Guest Visit session

of her summer hit film "Haeundae" at the 14th Pusan Internatio-

nal Film Festival on October 10, 2009. [Lee Jin-hyuk/10Asia]

Actress Ha Ji-won said she has no doubts nor suspicions about the Daejong Film Awards organizing committee's decisions for this year's nominations.

Ha made the remark Thursday afternoon following a statement issued by the committee to play down controversy which arose the previous day, particularly over its selection for Best Actress. The committee dropped Ha who starred in two hit films this year but picked Jang Nara whose film has yet to be released.

"I 100 percent respect the authority and fairness of the Daejong Film Awards," the actress was quoted as saying by her agency Wellmade STARM. "I trust that their decision was made through a rigorous selection process under high standards which I fully respect."

Ha added, "I think it is my greatest joy and pride to have received so much love as an actress -- I do not act or work on a film while my goal set as winning a certain award."

She also expressed her thoughts of Jang. "As an actress, I am extremely distressed to see another actress suffer and be hurt due to the controversy surrounding me. I hope this issue settles down soon so that it does not cause other actors to suffer or be hurt any further."

The 31-year-old actress also thanked her fans for the love and support, adding her hopes that this year's awards becomes a great festival for Korean films and her fellow actors.

Ha starred in two hit films this year -- summer blockbuster "Haeundae" which attracted nearly 11.4 million viewers to become the fourth most-watched film of all time and "Closer to Heaven" which topped the box office for three weeks and has grossed over 2 million viewers since opening in late September.

The awards, now into its 46th year, will take place November 6 at the Olympic Park.

Reporter : Ko Kyoung-seok kave@asiae.co.kr

F4 members reunite to support Kim Joon

2009102215333047036_1.jpg

From left, actors Lee Min-ho, Kim Bum and Ku Hye-sun turn up at Coex Artium in Seoul,

South Korea on October 21, 2009 to watch Kim Joon's musical "Youth March". [Planet 905]

Actors Lee Min-ho, Kim Bum and Ku Hye-sun turned up at a theatre on Wednesday in support of their "Boys Over Flowers" co-star Kim Joon who starred in a musical for the past three months.

The three actors made a surprise visit to congratulate Kim Joon on the last day of his musical "Youth March", his agency Planet 905 said in a press release.

The two F4 members and heroine of the hit TV series watched the two-hour musical and visited Kim backstage afterwards.

Kim had starred as one of the F4 members, which also included boy band SS501 singer Kim Hyun-joong, in the drama which aired early this year.

Kim Joon, originally a member of boy band T-Max, will resume his activities as a singer and visit several countries in Asia on promotion -- flying into Vietnam tomorrow and moving onto Hong Kong, Singapore and Japan.

2009102215333047036_2.jpg

From left, actors Kim Bum, Lee Min-ho and Ku Hye-sun sit amongst the audience to watch

Kim Joon's musical "Youth March" at the Coex Artium on October 21, 2009. [Planet 905]

2009102215333047036_3.jpg

T-Max member Kim Joon (center) performs on stage for hismusical "Youth March" at Coex

Artium on October 21, 2009. [Planet 905]

Credits : Jessica Kim jesskim@asiae.co.kr

Archived