[Drama 2010] Giant 자이언트

Guest purpleZ

Guest purpleZ

I just watched episode 13. I'll write a short summary only on the love affair since the business feuds is hard to understand.

The highlight of the romance is: Jeong Yeon got love confessions from 2 men.

Jeong Yeon heard of the marriage arrangement matter between her and Min Woo for the first time during their golf outing. She's not pleased. Jo Pil Yeon thought that Hwang Tae Sub had already mentioned this matter to his daughter. During her conversation with her father JY said she won't marry MW. HTS asked to speak to MW in his office about this matter and upon hearing JY's refusal, MW is determined to win her heart and just to leave the matter to him.

JY knocking off from work, MW walked into the office. He confronted her about her refusal of the marriage arrangement. MW said that he was the one who initiated it first to his father. JY had thought that the kiss in the hotel was in her dream but MW confirmed that it was real. Then she thought that something else also happened and tried to slap him, then he grabbed her and kissed her. "You still think what happened today is a dream?". He held her and said that she's driving him crazy, "what should I do to make you like me?" Here I think JY said something about that this might be his tactic on winning Man Bo or something similar and asked him not to mention about marriage in front of her the second time.

Meeting up with JY's step brother, MW asked what kind of person JY is. Step brother said why and that he knows MW is not interested in JY. He assumed MW is doing this because he's aiming Man Bo.

Drunk JY was carried by Kang Mo. KM assured her that he's by her side. She's mumbling to KM not to leave her and if he does, she won't let him off. Sitting by her side, KM confessed to JY about the woman that he loves as JY was asking him about it. "The person that I love is none other than you..." (I love the song "Loving You" by Kim Bum Soo being played out here. It hit it!)

At the office, JY and MW were supposed to have a meeting with a reporter. MW asked her to handle it herself. Then he said "whether you believe me or not is not important, what's important is that I love you".

JY and MW went to meet up with an actress whom they want to be a model of for their apartment project they're working on. Seeing handsome MW, the actress agreed. Flirting with MW and asking him to go somewhere else to drink alone, he rejected her hard by saying that JY is the woman he's in love with. (is this because he probably knew that JY was standing outside the door?)

So what do you guys think? Does Min Woo really have a hidden agenda? Is he after Man Bo that he's confessing and wanting to marry JY? Man, I'm rooting for Joo Sang Wook-Park Jin Hee already! I know she's supposed to be with Lee Bum Soo. My heart will probably break, but...

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest remnantpark

Hi, guys I'm remnantpark. I'm new to this forum. I'm just going to say, I think this drama is GREAT. It is a period episode. It has 50 episodes...but from what it looks, I think it'll betray a lot of the usual generic period episodes. It's episode 14 and the excitement is only the beginning! This is very promising. I think the writing is very promising, as well. Also, the cast is just great. Well first off, the child actors were just brilliant. Particularly the young boy who played Gangmo. Yes, the other child actors were WONDERFUL, but Gangmo was just a stand-out. His character was very difficult to act out, and the child actor pulled it off great. He has these fierce eyes, and to me he gave a very Daniel Radcliffe feel (if you guys haven't seen Radcliffe act when he was 8 years old as young David Copperfield...wow, great similarities). The adult actors, too, don't disappoint. Perhaps the cast doesn't rank too high on the attractive list (besides Hwang Jung Eum and Joo Sang Wook), but they can certainly act. Jung Bo Suk and Lee Duk Hwa are doing an excellent job, being the veteran actors they are. Lee Beom Soo, Park Jin Hee, and Park Sang Min are also doing a fantastic job. At first, it was a little bit of a let down because Park Sang Min certainly had no resemblance to Kim Soo Hyun, but Park is still doing an excellent job with conveying his character...I have no problem with that. Lee Beom Soo seems a little more quiet than the young Gang-mo, but it is understandable, since the older Gangmo is a more mature and settled. Nevertheless, his acting is quite natural and at times, Lee gives a very attractive vibe on screen that I can't describe. Lee is not good looking, but when he acts on screen, he captures my attention. Also, his voice is very very soothing. :D

Let's just say that episode 14 was VERY exciting. And it will be worth the wait, guys! Trust me! :)

Guest ha_rim_sam

Hi, guys I'm remnantpark. I'm new to this forum. I'm just going to say, I think this drama is GREAT. It is a period episode. It has 50 episodes...but from what it looks, I think it'll betray a lot of the usual generic period episodes. It's episode 14 and the excitement is only the beginning! This is very promising. I think the writing is very promising, as well. Also, the cast is just great. Well first off, the child actors were just brilliant. Particularly the young boy who played Gangmo. Yes, the other child actors were WONDERFUL, but Gangmo was just a stand-out. His character was very difficult to act out, and the child actor pulled it off great. He has these fierce eyes, and to me he gave a very Daniel Radcliffe feel (if you guys haven't seen Radcliffe act when he was 8 years old as young David Copperfield...wow, great similarities). The adult actors, too, don't disappoint. Perhaps the cast doesn't rank too high on the attractive list (besides Hwang Jung Eum and Joo Sang Wook), but they can certainly act. Jung Bo Suk and Lee Duk Hwa are doing an excellent job, being the veteran actors they are. Lee Beom Soo, Park Jin Hee, and Park Sang Min are also doing a fantastic job. At first, it was a little bit of a let down because Park Sang Min certainly had no resemblance to Kim Soo Hyun, but Park is still doing an excellent job with conveying his character...I have no problem with that. Lee Beom Soo seems a little more quiet than the young Gang-mo, but it is understandable, since the older Gangmo is a more mature and settled. Nevertheless, his acting is quite natural and at times, Lee gives a very attractive vibe on screen that I can't describe. Lee is not good looking, but when he acts on screen, he captures my attention. Also, his voice is very very soothing. :D

Let's just say that episode 14 was VERY exciting. And it will be worth the wait, guys! Trust me! :)

I totally agree with u.I myself had been watching korea drama since 1998 and had seen the progress that had been made in the korean drama i used to watch drama with anticipating of good looking actor and actress but nowaday the trend had been strayed towards good script and good acting that can captured audience for the longest time and thanks to lee bum soo he is one example who defy the looks and height but able to excels and i must say not many people would say that he is good looking but he certainly one of the most talented actor in Korea.I love Park Jin Hee in Giant because i like actress who always trying to break away from fix image and willing to excels in any roles.Park Sang Min looks cool in the role and the veterens i must say you all are the live of the drama. The drama may not be offering too much eye candy but the storylines is worth it.

Guest purpleZ

who is the lady in the bar tht sings related to Park Jin Hee in the drama?

She's her birth mother. I know it's a bit strange, since in real life Park Jin Hee is just 1 year younger than her mother on screen.

More caps of episode 14:

KM's quote in this episode: "Agasshi, I don't like the idea of you getting married"

3069604.jpg

3069602.jpg

201006300508101001_1.jpg

Credits: Nate

Guest purpleZ

Hi! I agree with you about almost everything but one thing. Park Jin Hee is a very attractive woman. If you haven't seen her other shows, try to watch War of Money and Please Come Back, Soon Ae. She's just not the idol type like Hwang Jung Eum probably(honestly I haven't heard of her before this show).

Anyways, yes, young Gang Mo was definitely awesome! Not to forget young Seong Mo and young Jeong Yeon. Even young Min Woo who just appeared briefly caught my attention too. And the fabolous child actor, little Mi Joo. Great casting! Only there's something, Kim Soo Hyun (young Seong Mo) is taller than Park Sang Min I believe. It's kind of odd.

I'm kinda mad about when Seong Mo finally found someone who might know where Gang Mo is, the man told him that he's dead. Is he getting the wrong Gang Mo? I don't remember seeing that man before...

Now I can't wait for episode 14. Love tiffs in the rain?? Awww!!

Guest belva

@purpleZ Thanks for the warm welcome and summary on ep 13 :)

Did you guys try viikii? It's faster than withs2. I thought I would be patient enough to wait for the subs and watch it on viikii but my anticipation of the reunion of the siblings killed that and I went to watch it with chinese subs instead. Though my chinese is pretty bad, but I'm still able to get what's going on.

I'm glad that there's a window period for the siblings to be around each other before they know of their kinship, but I seriously can't wait for their reunion any longer! This kinda drama are what makes me miss the times when I only watch fully uploaded shows! But the preview for ep 15 saves the day. :D

Ohh I too am wondering about the r/s between the lady singer in the bar and PJH's character. But after carefully reading the chinese subs (conversation between her and the rich elder she serves) and looking at the lady's reaction, I think it's her mother. That she did not die. Her new look didn't help with the confusion, but there was also a scene where Hwang Tae Sub saw her and thought "How can 2 person look so alike" or smth along that line.

Lee Beom Soo captures my attention in this drama unlike when I saw him in Surgeon Bong Dal Hee (I think I was rooting for the 2nd lead), but here I love seeing him on screen and am rooting for him even more so than his brother. :rolleyes:

I'm kinda mad about when Seong Mo finally found someone who might know where Gang Mo is, the man told him that he's dead. Is he getting the wrong Gang Mo? I don't remember seeing that man before...

Yes he got the wrong Gang Mo. It was just another guy who works in a factory with the same name. He actually did check up on the real Gang Mo but pass it off as "just another guy with the same name" when it was reported that he wasn't from this particular hometown! I don't know how the hometown thing went wrong though...

Guest purpleZ

@purpleZ Thanks for the warm welcome and summary on ep 13 :)

Did you guys try viikii? It's faster than withs2. I thought I would be patient enough to wait for the subs and watch it on viikii but my anticipation of the reunion of the siblings killed that and I went to watch it with chinese subs instead. Though my chinese is pretty bad, but I'm still able to get what's going on.

Yes he got the wrong Gang Mo. It was just another guy who works in a factory with the same name. He actually did check up on the real Gang Mo but pass it off as "just another guy with the same name" when it was reported that he wasn't from this particular hometown! I don't know how the hometown thing went wrong though...

Thanks for the explanation on Gang Mo :) It's probably the hometown where Hwang Tae Sub lived is registered? After all he lived with him since he's young.

Do you watch online on viikii or do you download their subs? if you download, would you kindly give us the link? if it's not allowed, would you tell me what to do to download their subs? whom to pm, etc?

I also watched the first couple of episodes with Chinese subs, but the quality of the clips made me avoid to watch it. I crave for HD quality, at least Xvid or 450p. So I'd just watch it without subs :)

Guest purpleZ

Just finished watching episode 14.

JY agreed to marry MW in exchange of the release of her father and other things else. MW confronted his father on HTS matter and JPY mentioned that it seems like the wedding will be on and asked MW to try to like JY. Upon hearing that, MW said "That child, I think I will (try to) love her".

Father: "Love?". MW: "Can't I?".

capsep14.jpg

Home soaking wet, in her room KM spoke to JY. She revealed that she's probably going to marry JMW to KM's protest and asked her not to marry MW, that he's going to find ways to save her father. JY asked why he's interfering her getting married, what's he got to do with it and why not. KM not being able to fully confess, "Because I..." after a long pause "don't like agasshi getting married" and left her room.

capsep141.jpg

From preview of episode 15, it looks like KM and MJ are going to reunite!

This show is way much better than East of Eden. As the pace is moving fast and stays consequent, while EOE got cheesy if they drag the story. I was already following this drama with anticipation and I think I'm now totally hooked!

Guest remnantpark

Just finished watching episode 14.

It seems like that Min Woo started to love JY as he defended her in front of his father on Hwang Tae Sub matter. JY agreed to marry MW in exchange of the release of her father and other things else. Upon hearing that, MW is having a second thought of marrying for business deals, he told his father "That child, I think I love her". Father: "Love?". MW: "Can't I?". He's not the cold MW anymore in front of JY. He's melted...

Home soaking wet, in her room GM spoke to JY. She revealed that she's probably going to marry JMW to GM's protest. "Don't marry MW, I'm going to find a way to save your father". JY asked why he's interfering her getting married, what's he got to do with it and why not. GM not being able to fully confess, "because I..." "don't want agasshi to get married" and left her room.

'Hey purpleZ, are you well versed in Korean? I don't know, maybe I misunderstood when I saw episode 14, but I believe MW did NOT say that he loved Jung Yeon. He asked his dad, do you think I will ever be ABLE to love her? And his dad goes, love? MW says, why can't I? And then sarcastically says, thank you SO much for being so worked up over this marriage. I don't see MW loving JY at all. If he did, he will treat her differently. He wants Manbo Construction, not Jung Yeon. So he's trying extttrrrraaaaaaa hard to get her, and obviously failing at it, ie. kissing her without consent, saying "I love you so so so much, even if you don't believe it or not" in that completely unfeeling face, not even looking in her eyes, asking Jeon Shik how JY is like and Jeon Shik saying "she is not even your type, you probably want that Manbo Construction, don't you?"...If he loved Jung Yeon, MW would act much more differently, in my opinion.

And to whoever said Park Jin Hee is attractive, I sort of agree, but yes, she really isn't the ideal Korean beauty. Many Korean people don't regard her as pretty, she has very bold/severe features. HOWEVER, she radiates freshness, intelligence, and strong will. In that sense, she is uniquely attractive, which is perfect for the role of JY.

Oh yeah, and how long does viikii subs usually come out? I've watched the videos with WITHS2 subs (GREAT translation, btw) and viikii for the later vids (ehhh, not so great translation but fair enough...sometimes even wrong translations for some parts that hinder the meaning)...I mean, I would be patient for the good, clear subs (WITHS2) but I'm not very patient, so I go for the viikii...Well I watched the raw korean vids, and yeah i understand the general plot/discussions but I miss a lot of stuff that would make my understanding more thorough...esp the political discussions with Mr. Potato Head (hehe yeah, the senator guy) and Bug-Eye (Director Min of CIA hehehe...it makes life easier to give names for these people).

Guest belva

I watch them on viikii itself I know what you mean about the quality, but I really have no idea how to get the soft subs from them too :tears:

I'm OK with streaming giant online since I'm not fangirling over any actors there, but for Bad Guy I'll download the vids and watch it raw, than re watch it again on viikii. Sometimes I really wish they release the soft subs or tell me how to do it :(

Guest purpleZ

'Hey purpleZ, are you well versed in Korean? I don't know, maybe I misunderstood when I saw episode 14, but I believe MW did NOT say that he loved Jung Yeon. He asked his dad, do you think I will ever be ABLE to love her? And his dad goes, love? MW says, why can't I? And then sarcastically says, thank you SO much for being so worked up over this marriage. I don't see MW loving JY at all. If he did, he will treat her differently. He wants Manbo Construction, not Jung Yeon.

Well I watched the raw korean vids, and yeah i understand the general plot/discussions but I miss a lot of stuff that would make my understanding more thorough...esp the political discussions with Mr. Potato Head (hehe yeah, the senator guy) and Bug-Eye (Director Min of CIA hehehe...it makes life easier to give names for these people).

Ohhh, I guess I just tried to translate too fast. I just finished watching at like 12:30AM. Maybe I was blinded by my fangirling of MW-JY. I got so excited over them starting episode 13 and blinded in episode 14. Forgive my misinterpretation. I corrected my summary. But I don't think he said "do you think I will ever be ABLE to love her?" He didn't ask, he made a statement. From my second attempt of hearing what he said, I THINK it's either he said that he'll try to love her or thinks that he'll love her or somewhere near there. This is probably because his father asked him to try hard to like JY.

Do you read the Chinese sub? My Korean is mostly the every day language, that's why I can't translate the business and political issues in here.

I also thought that MW is after Man Bo, as I wrote in my summary of episode 13. His eyes have been cold to JY, but if you see his eyes when JY walked away in the rain, he was worried about her. Although it's not yet love, but I think he will fall for her.

Haha! Funny names you give them!

Guest purpleZ

BTS clips: http://wizard2.sbs.co.kr/w3/template/tp1_sketch_list.jsp?vVodId=V0000344173&vProgId=1000610&vMenuId=1012587

Does anyone have a SBS account? I can't watch! And does anybody know which search term should be used when searching for Giant clips on Youtube? I tried Giant 자이언트 and the casts names. I just get the Giant brand bicycle clips and just a couple of Giant trailers. Heeeelp!

Guest remnantpark

Ohhh, I guess I just tried to translate too fast. I just finished watching at like 12:30AM. Maybe I was blinded by my fangirling of MW-JY. I got so excited over them starting episode 13 and blinded in episode 14. Forgive my misinterpretation. I corrected my summary. But I don't think he said "do you think I will ever be ABLE to love her?" He didn't ask, he made a statement. From my second attempt of hearing what he said, I THINK it's either he said that he'll try to love her or thinks that he'll love her or somewhere near there. This is probably because his father asked him to try hard to like JY.

Do you read the Chinese sub? My Korean is mostly the every day language, that's why I can't translate the business and political issues in here.

I also thought that MW is after Man Bo, as I wrote in my summary of episode 13. His eyes have been cold to JY, but if you see his eyes when JY walked away in the rain, he was worried about her. Although it's not yet love, but I think he will fall for her.

Haha! Funny names you give them!

No, I don't read the Chinese sub. I just watch the raw with Korean, and like you, I can understand the every day language...and if I listen carefully, I can even understand the general idea of business/political issues. And yeah, you are right, I listened again and he said that he'll think he'll love her soon/he'll try to love her, which is somewhere along the lines of him wondering if he'll ever be able to love her one day. So both of us were in the right track, haha.

I think my general thought about MW-JY is that, JY does not like MW back but she is getting confused by his "loving words"...MW does not like JY and his dad knows he doesn't like her. However, MW is not half as evil as his dad and he is also very young, so he has his own romantic thoughts about what marriage is. He wishes marriage will include love. Of course, his first thoughts go straight to Manbo construction...but I mean...he is a dude so he wants some lovin' before he dies. But, he's trying way too hard to force the marriage into love. He knows in reality, that he doesn't love her and JY doesn't like him back. And having JY submit to Cho Pil Yeon by "arranged marriage" is the last thing he wants. Now JY won't like him back, ever...MW lost his chance for some sort of freedom. He'll live a loveless life (not until he meets Mijoo probably). He's tied down to his dad and his greed for Manbo.

Guest purpleZ

I think my general thought about MW-JY is that, JY does not like MW back but she is getting confused by his "loving words"...MW does not like JY and his dad knows he doesn't like her. However, MW is not half as evil as his dad and he is also very young, so he has his own romantic thoughts about what marriage is. He wishes marriage will include love. Of course, his first thoughts go straight to Manbo construction...but I mean...he is a dude so he wants some lovin' before he dies. But, he's trying way too hard to force the marriage into love. He knows in reality, that he doesn't love her and JY doesn't like him back. And having JY submit to Cho Pil Yeon by "arranged marriage" is the last thing he wants. Now JY won't like him back, ever...MW lost his chance for some sort of freedom. He'll live a loveless life (not until he meets Mijoo probably). He's tied down to his dad and his greed for Manbo.

The original storyline is that MW's going to fall for Mi Joo. But in the end, MW's still trying hard to get JY. MJ would suffer from one sided love. I know that I'll probably be disappointed if I start fangirling MW-JY, but it's still a treat seeing them together :)

I'm kind of confused with the time leap. They started at the year 1970, when the child actors were still playing. Then once the grown ups took over the screen, it's 1979.

So I was trying to calculate the age of the main leads now:

1. Seong Mo was probably around 17-19, which means he now should be 26-28 (Seong Mo now looks more of his late 30's)

2. Gang Mo was around 14-15, which means he now should be 23 or 24 (GM now also looks more of this late 30's)

3. Mi Joo was most probably be around 5-7, so she should be 16 now (MJ's look is although young, but she can't be a 16-17 yr old girl)

4. I guess Jeong Yeon was around the same age of Gang Mo and Min Woo, about 15, which makes her 24 now (the only appropriate looking characters for their ages are JY and MW I guess)

It's a great show! But I must admit the time leap is too short, because the characters look a lot older now than their childhood characters. It would've made more sense if they leaped after 15 years or something.

Guest TKna

I totally agree with u.I myself had been watching korea drama since 1998 and had seen the progress that had been made in the korean drama i used to watch drama with anticipating of good looking actor and actress but nowaday the trend had been strayed towards good script and good acting that can captured audience for the longest time and thanks to lee bum soo he is one example who defy the looks and height but able to excels and i must say not many people would say that he is good looking but he certainly one of the most talented actor in Korea.I love Park Jin Hee in Giant because i like actress who always trying to break away from fix image and willing to excels in any roles.Park Sang Min looks cool in the role and the veterens i must say you all are the live of the drama. The drama may not be offering too much eye candy but the storylines is worth it.

well said.

i love giant b/c of the script and the wonderful young/older actors/actresses that is casted to play each character. the reason why i watch this is b/c of lee bum soo. ever since surgeon bong dal hee i've following his works. ahehe. he is such a great actor. although he doesn't have the height or to some he is not eye candy but he has so much charisma and great acting that he bring the character to life. but after watching the first ep i was already hook w/ this drama. i so feel for the kids and when they grow up to become adults i am on edge wanting to know what the outcome will be. don't seem like alot of folks are following this drama. it is one of those diamond in a rough type drama. ahehe.

Archived