Make-up Q & A Thread

Guest Nightsky1

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest -heartbeeps

how long can unopened mascara last for?

I know if it's open, after 3 months you should throw it away but what if it's unopened?

thanks in advance!

Really really long. I bought a MAC Zoomlash mascara 3 years ago, & I just started using it. It's not dried out at all, so this either means MAC mascara is really high quality or unopened mascara doesn't dry up : )

However, I was reading the reviews on the mini mascara sample set on Sephora, & a lot of people say that their mascaras are all dried up by the time they opened them. So I'd say a safe bet would be a year or less.

• 2 months later...

Hey everyone. Can anyone give me some advice?

After putting makeup on and having it on throughout the school day, I always find my "T" zone getting all oily and gross, so the people working at M.A.C told me to reapply my pressed powder, so what should I apply it with? I find that if I apply with a sponge, I get cakey. And it's kind of inconvient to carry around the big brushes.

After putting makeup on and having it on throughout the school day, I always find my "T" zone getting all oily and gross, so the people working at M.A.C told me to reapply my pressed powder, so what should I apply it with? I find that if I apply with a sponge, I get cakey. And it's kind of inconvient to carry around the big brushes.

I've seen people reapply with the sponge applicator. Instead, you should consider either using a primer underneath your powder, or you should carry around blotting sheets. Clean & Clear oil blotting sheets are good. Just make sure you are patting the oil wipe sheet on your skin gently. Your makeup shouldn't transfer. I've done that. Afterward, if you remove any, just gently pat on your blot (pressed) powder on your t-zone again.

I have a slightly oily t-zone that only gets oily during the summer. The few times I do wear pressed powder (my skin is decent without it), I generally just use the oil blotting sheet, and there is no need for further re-application for makeup.

Guest Sparks-Fly

After putting makeup on and having it on throughout the school day, I always find my "T" zone getting all oily and gross, so the people working at M.A.C told me to reapply my pressed powder, so what should I apply it with? I find that if I apply with a sponge, I get cakey.  And it's kind of inconvient to carry around the big brushes.

I find that pressing a thin layer of your face powder with a powder puff won't disturb your makeup underneath.  And as Kurisu mentioned, oil blotting paper are great!

Guest Aquaflower

I've been really interested in fashion/beauty photography, and I finally have some money to spend on makeup. I want to buy an eyeshadow palette, but I don't know which one I should get... @_@ Any recommendations? I've seen those huge eyeshadow sets on coastalscents (and apparently those are sold on ebay for much cheaper). Are there any better alternatives? Has anyone tried coastalscents sets?

Thank you!

Guest Beautiful*Nightmare

I've been really interested in fashion/beauty photography, and I finally have some money to spend on makeup. I want to buy an eyeshadow palette, but I don't know which one I should get... @_@ Any recommendations? I've seen those huge eyeshadow sets on coastalscents (and apparently those are sold on ebay for much cheaper). Are there any better alternatives? Has anyone tried coastalscents sets?

Thank you!

Coastal Scents is awesome!! I have the shimmer one. The color is really pigmented and it doesn't creased at all. I'm gonna get the matte one soon.

Other than the coastal scents, I like revlon or NYX. Their pallettes are pretty good. Too bad they don't have a big pallette.

Guest prisonerzero

Aquaflower, Coastal Scents palettes are pretty much the ones from eBay with their name slapped on it and a price raise, so if you want one, I suggest getting it from eBay. (: Save some money!

Guest angelic_betrayal

dropthebeat: It depends on your eyeshape. You can subtly make the eyeliner thicker on the highest point of your eyelid (center) so that it gives you the illusion of rounder eyes. Adding a shimmery light color to the inner corner of your eyes gives the illusion of brighter eyes :) Also, as for preventing liner from transferring from the waterline, it really depends on what liner you use. I do not normally line my waterline so I wouldn't be an expert in that area. I've heard Rimmel's Exaggerate Pencil Liner is good and some people use gel liner on their waterlines although that might not be safe.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest moomoocows

I was wondering why does my foundation seen really blotchy, like my foundation wiped off, after a few hours? I first started makeup with mineral foundation and it was fine until months after I notice that the powder kind of grabs onto only certain part of the skin. The lady at sephora said it's probably that I need to exfoiliate. I do that now but now that I switched to a liquid foundation and same problem. I prime my face and apply finishing powder.

Also I tend to blow my nose a lot and wipe my mouth. A lot of times the makeup there just disappears but that's the area where I need to cover my scars the most (especially the philtrium). Do I just need to reapply pressed powder throughout the day or is there anyother way?

Guest xjUnebUgs

Hi all :)

Does anyone know if cetaphil moisturizing cream is 100% safe to use on the face? Or it is just for the skin... thank you!

Guest underthewings

Hello! I was wondering if anybody could recommend me any makeup brands for sensitive skin? (That's not too pricey, please. ^^) Please and thank you! :3

Guest crushie

Question regarding eyeliner + eyeshadow..

For some reasons, I look weird with eyeliner with no/lightcolored eyeshadows (even when using eyeshadow as my eyeliner)...How does this whole thing work? When I want a natural look, I just put on mascara, no eyeliner..but when I have eyeliner on, I need to have dark eyeshadow. Anyone know why? Is it cus of the way I apply my eyeliner/shadow or my skintone? eyeshape?...I've seen people look fine with just eyeliner with no/lightcolored eyeshadow, but not me. =/

Guest Banana Peel

1) What's better? Foundation or BB cream? Which would be a smarter choice for me? My skin doesn't need much cover up because I'm pretty much clear skinned, and no acne/pimples. I just want something that can even out my skin tone while making my skin look clean.

2) Can anyone recommend me a good eyeliner brush for using cream liners? Nothing extremely expensive please.

Guest tinatran_

^

1. i have never used BB cream ever, so this might be biased.. but i think you should go with a mineral or powder foundation. mineral/powder foundation gives you light coverage to even out your skintone.

2. it depends of you like to "wing" your eyeliner. if you want to do a "wing", you could go with and angled eyeliner brush. it takes awhile to learn, but it helps make sharper flicks/lines.. if you just want to line your eyes without the wings, you could use the angled eyeliner brush again or you could just use a fine-tipped brush. i find that with the fine-tipped brush, you could easily tightline better because it can reach those hard-to-reach areas. if you're cheap (like me), you could just go to the dollarstore and buy a paint brush that looks similar to an eyeliner brush.=) just be sure to wash it before using it!

Eye-Liner-Brushes.jpg

Guest Babyykisses

does anyone know why my foundation always smudges or gets blotchy?

I hate wearing primer b/c it makes my foundation look reall cakey =(

What kind of foundation are you wearing? And primer?

Have you tried letting the primer settle into your skin first before applying the foundation? Sometimes tackier primers grab onto the foundation too much before it has a chance to set into the face.

Or, use a translucent powder to set the foundation. An HD Powder would be great, (ELF has a very cheap one). It doesnt cake up the makeup, and it absorbs oil so the foundation doesnt smudge off.

Question regarding eyeliner + eyeshadow..

For some reasons, I look weird with eyeliner with no/lightcolored eyeshadows (even when using eyeshadow as my eyeliner)...How does this whole thing work? When I want a natural look, I just put on mascara, no eyeliner..but when I have eyeliner on, I need to have dark eyeshadow. Anyone know why? Is it cus of the way I apply my eyeliner/shadow or my skintone? eyeshape?...I've seen people look fine with just eyeliner with no/lightcolored eyeshadow, but not me. =/

Tightline? I Have to do that when i wear eyeliner because my lashline is pretty high, and if i dont tightline my upper waterline, it seems like i suck at lining my eyes, missing my lashline.

Archived