Make-up Q & A Thread

Guest Nightsky1

^ Your eyeshadow should go first. If you did eyeliner first then your eyeshadow would cover the liner haha

^Thanks for your quick response. What you said is true. I'm not sure....never used an eye shadow before :D

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Yangie12

Question:

I know you can mix two different shades of foundation to make it lighter or darker. But do you have to mix two foundation of the same brand? Like, is it okay to mix a MAC foundation with an Estee Lauder one? If not, is there another way to make your foundation lighter or darker without mixing it? I prefer not to buy a darker shade Estee Lauder foundation specially for the summer, because those things are quite expensive =\

Oh, and another question, where do you put sunscreen in your foundation routine? Before or after primer?

Question:

I know you can mix two different shades of foundation to make it lighter or darker. But do you have to mix two foundation of the same brand? Like, is it okay to mix a MAC foundation with an Estee Lauder one? If not, is there another way to make your foundation lighter or darker without mixing it? I prefer not to buy a darker shade Estee Lauder foundation specially for the summer, because those things are quite expensive =\

Oh, and another question, where do you put sunscreen in your foundation routine? Before or after primer?

I believe it is okay for you to mix two different brand foundations together. I do it sometime as well, so no need to go buy another foundation.

I put sunscreen on before primer to allow it time to be on my skin and to set. I hope this helps.

Guest PeachyPie

For those who are cursed with oily skin, how do you make your makeup last throughout the day? I read from several sources that a primer can help your makeup go on smoothly and stay on all day, even through sweat.

I've never used one before, so I don't know how effective it is in doing so. Before I take the plunge I would like to hear from anyone who has used one. Any type of foundation I wear tend to look blotchy and uneven after several hours. Applying powder on top makes it look worse or exacerbates the problem. I don't know what to do >_<

Guest lychee_poo

^Thanks for your quick response. What you said is true. I'm not sure....never used an eye shadow before :D

No problem, when I first started make up I didn't really understand either haha

This is more of a product question, hope I can get some feedback...

are there any cheaper alternatives to urban decay 24/7 in black (zero)? I love the creamy glide-on texture and it's so easy to use. I'm horrible with liquid and pencils don't give me that rich color.

Guest lychee_poo

are there any cheaper alternatives to urban decay 24/7 in black (zero)? I love the creamy glide-on texture and it's so easy to use. I'm horrible with liquid and pencils don't give me that rich color.

Revlon Colorstay is an excellent eyeliner in my opinion. Not as creamy as the UD 24/7 but definitely as pigmented and long lasting. Stays on your waterline too.

But if you don't like pencil then try the Maybelline Eyestudio gel liners, smooth and pigmented, long lasting too.

Guest YukiPuu

For those who are cursed with oily skin, how do you make your makeup last throughout the day? I read from several sources that a primer can help your makeup go on smoothly and stay on all day, even through sweat.

I've never used one before, so I don't know how effective it is in doing so. Before I take the plunge I would like to hear from anyone who has used one. Any type of foundation I wear tend to look blotchy and uneven after several hours. Applying powder on top makes it look worse or exacerbates the problem. I don't know what to do >_<

Try powder or mineral foundation! Invest in a good quality kabuki brush for even applications. During the day, if your face feels oily, try using blotting paper to absorb the oil, instead of packing more powder on top. You can find blotting paper in any drugstore (expensive!) or beauty supply stores (like Sally's if you're in the US, slightly cheaper). ELF (eyeslipsface.com) sells a pack for $1, but you'd have to pay for shipping.

You can try a makeup primer if you still need it after that^ I know Revlon and Rimmel carry foundation primers, but I don't know about the quality of those. Also, if you buy a primer from a prestige brand from Sephora or MAC, you can return it if you don't like it :)

Guest LaLaaLove

It's a personal choice. Either way though, it should be thinnest on the inner corners and thickest on the outside. Bottom liner all the way in can close off the eye, so I tend to just wear it for the outer 1/3rd.

A primer does help to control oilies and keep your makeup in place. Most facial primers are silicone-based. While this is fine for some people, it may also cause breakouts in others. If you aren't ready to invest in a pricey primer, Monistat Anti-Chafing Gel has very similar ingredients (silicone) to the Smashbox Photo Finish primer.

Guest bee0tch

Question:

It depends if your sunscreen is a chemical or physical spf. If it's chemical (the ingredients usually end in like -zone or -sol), you should apply it before primer. If it doesn't contain those ingredients, it's a physical spf and should be applied after your makeup routine (or until the last liquid step, because applying it over powdery substances will mess up your makeup).

When applying eye liner to the top and bottom lids, should it cover the whole way or 2/3?

I like to go 2/3 for natural/everyday makeup. It depends on the look you're going for tho. 2/3 helps open up your eyes and make them appear larger/rounder, while lining it the whole way makes them appear smaller and closed in. But if I'm wearing a lot of make-up or going for the smokey look, I like to line my eyes all the way

Guest PROshinigami

QUESTION !

is it safe to share eyeshadows?

i recently lent someone my eyeshadow palette but now i am not sure if it was ok to do so?

and apparently you clean your shadows using spray alcohol - does this damage it; do i even have to clean it once she returns it?

Guest kawaiiheartt

QUESTION !

is it safe to share eyeshadows?

i recently lent someone my eyeshadow palette but now i am not sure if it was ok to do so?

and apparently you clean your shadows using spray alcohol - does this damage it; do i even have to clean it once she returns it?

generally, you're not encouraged to share eyeshadows because of bacteria. but if you clean it, you should be safe, i just wouldn't make a regular habit out of it if i were you. spray alcohol dissolves very quickly, and doesn't damage the eyeshadow, it simply kills the bacteria at the top of the eyeshadow. it's your choice whether or not you want to clean it, if you trust her to be clean and use clean brushes to apply it, then you can choose not to.

Guest xhottest

i have a few questions about steps before you add on foundation and blush. what do you put on your face before you put on foundation and blush to make the blush stay on and what kind of product is it? and also where can i buy a cheap but good eyeshadow brush or any recommendation on good ones? :)

Guest PROshinigami

i have a few questions about steps before you add on foundation and blush. what do you put on your face before you put on foundation and blush to make the blush stay on and what kind of product is it? and also where can i buy a cheap but good eyeshadow brush or any recommendation on good ones? :)

i think you're talking about face primer, which you put on so the makeup stays for longer.

Another question, do I put powder on before or after blush?

If you are using a regular powder blush, first do your all over face powder and then blush.

If you are using a cream blush, you can do your all over face powder, then the cream, and finally apply a powder or another blush to set it.

Guest Hours

Try Nyx Jumbo Eye in Black Bean. It's super creamy and extremely pigmented, and very, very, very cheap!

Guest strawberrynkiwi

^^ Try the Milani Eye Pencil or L'Oreal Liquid Pencil Eye Liner... YT Gurus all compare them to the UD24/7.

Guest angelic_betrayal

^ I don't think you should try nyx's black bean because its meant to be a base and not an eyeliner. It'll smudge like crazy if you try to use it as your liner. I agree with strawberrynkiwi. I haven't tried loreal's but the milani one is quite comparable. The only thing different is that the milani one is softer and if its too warm it'll turn into this kinda goopy consistency.... thats what happened to me. the UD pencils are still better imo because they retain their shape better. Revlon colorstay's twist up pencils are good too. They're more pigmented than the UD liner in zero and if you set it with black eyeshadow and a primer underneath it should last all day ^^

Archived