Make-up Q & A Thread

Guest Nightsky1

Guest breathenonstopx

i read some good reviews about ELF's HD powder so I bought it, but it comes off pretty quickly if you sweat at all =/ and if you put on too much its really obvious (it says it's transluscent, but its totally white...) someone suggested mixing in pigmented powder and just using it like a powder foundation though

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest DeadSmile

i hope no one asked this question before

but how much do you guys usually spend on makeup? like how much does each item cost?(rounded?) i go to riteaid and see the makeup items and they cost so much ;o

Guest tinatran_

1. the reason why the eyeliner runs is probably from the oil on your lids. a primer is the only thing that can help prevent it from running... or maybe you can try powdering your eyes with a mattifying powder before you apply eyeliner, but that wont be as effective as a primer

2. try wearing loose powder alone and see how i looks ^^ lol. im sure if you moisturize before applying, it wont have dry patches.. maybe.. if you dont need much coverage, try using a tinted moisturizer

idk if that helped ^^;;

@tinatran_ if i feel like i need to wear something, loose powder works just fine. just make sure you prime/moisturise first. or if you want, liquid foundation/bb cream mixed into your moisturiser to dilute, or just a tinted moisturiser like yuri9do0 suggested

thanks! that really helps. =)

2) It would not be weird to just wear loose powder but for your purposes I don't think it's suitable. In order to get even light coverage with powder you would need to apply quite a lot and that usually looks too matte and possibly cakey. Light coverage would be like a tinted moisturizer or BB cream, neither feels cakey. What do you need 'light' coverage for? Most discoloration wil not be visibly reduced by anything of light coverage, it just evens overall skin tone and texture.

i just need to even my skin tone cause some parts on my face are lighter than other parts. and also, i read somewhere that it somewhat reduces shine on the face too. i noticed that there was a sale (40% off!) on Physician's Formula makeup at a local drugstore and just thought i'd try it out. i mean, i wouldn't mind if it costed 40% less and it doesn't work for me, thats all. =)

Guest Beautiful*Nightmare

but how much do you guys usually spend on makeup? like how much does each item cost?(rounded?) i go to riteaid and see the makeup items and they cost so much ;o

It all depends on the brand that you buy. Lipstick or lipgloss that I buy ususally around $20 cuz I usually buy it from MAC, NARS, Makeup forever, etc. Where my mascara only cost me around $12 cuz my HG mascara is from Cover Girl.

& I use BB cream from skinfood, so taht's pretty cheap also.

We don't ahve riteaid in canada, but is it like Sephora?

Guest YukiPuu

Stores like Wal-Mart and Target carry the same brands as Rite Aid, but for cheaper. Drugstores always sell stuff for full retail price, but BOGOFs are pretty good.

I only buy drugstore brands, because I'm not rich xD and I'm not going to ask my parents to buy me anything I don't need.

Eyeliner - $6-11 (L'oreal HIP cream eyeliner being the most expensive.)

Single eyeshadow - $4

Eyeshadow palette - $6-10 (The Wet 'n' Wild palettes are pretty good for $4-6)

Foundation - $10-15

Setting powder - $3-7

Lipstick - $5-7 (I love the Rimmel Moisture Renew ones.)

I don't buy anything else xD

It all depends on the brand that you buy. Lipstick or lipgloss that I buy ususally around $20 cuz I usually buy it from MAC, NARS, Makeup forever, etc. Where my mascara only cost me around $12 cuz my HG mascara is from Cover Girl.

& I use BB cream from skinfood, so taht's pretty cheap also.

We don't ahve riteaid in canada, but is it like Sephora?

Riteaid is more like a mini-supermarket. I don't really know how else to describe it, but it's a drugstore. I'm not sure they have "drugstores" like we do in Canada, since they sell pretty much everything. XD

Question~ So, after I tone and put on face lotion (is that the same as moisturizer? lol), when I put on liquid foundation it still looks obvious that I'm wearing foundation! It will either look like it's sitting right on top, or it makes my skin look dry. o_o I'm using the Revlon Colorstay foundation btw, if that helps! Oh, especially around my nose area... I exfoliate the dead skin, but it still looks like it's there. Any suggestions?

Guest MOOVERDOSE

Riteaid is more like a mini-supermarket. I don't really know how else to describe it, but it's a drugstore. I'm not sure they have "drugstores" like we do in Canada, since they sell pretty much everything. XD

Question~ So, after I tone and put on face lotion (is that the same as moisturizer? lol), when I put on liquid foundation it still looks obvious that I'm wearing foundation! It will either look like it's sitting right on top, or it makes my skin look dry. o_o I'm using the Revlon Colorstay foundation btw, if that helps! Oh, especially around my nose area... I exfoliate the dead skin, but it still looks like it's there. Any suggestions?

Yeah, I get what you mean! That used to happen to me all the time back when I used to wear my Revlon Colourstay foundation. Just wondering, what type of moisturizer are you using? I found that when I swapped my regular, thin moisturizer for a thicker creme moisterizer, my foundation blended into my skin really nicely without having that "masked" effect. Usually, when a product boasts to be "long-lasting" or for example "colour stay" chances are the forumla will be a lot drier than most regular formulae. So perhaps you may want to swtich up for a foundation with moisturizing properties? Or opt for a light-weight concealer if you don't need heavy coverage all the time, it saves your skin in the long run guaranteed! :)

I don't use toner, so I can't help you with that unfortunately. But from most videos I've seen, the girls do cleanse, tone and then moisturize.

^ I don't even know if it's moisturizer actually, I just use this lotion by Cetaphil that my mom keeps on the sink! XD It's pretty thick, but maybe I'm not waiting long enough for it to absorb into my skin or something? I use a wet sponge to apply the foundation, which helps a little, but I really want to get a stippling brush. But thanks a lot for the tips! Can you recommend any drugstore foundations with moisturizers? ^^

Guest coldfire-x

Are the ELF single eyeshadow worth it for $3 ? I'm planning on getting 2 or 3 from the ELF site .

1. Does anyone have problem with Mac Studio Finish Concealer? I bought it based on the good reviews but it's really dry and looks kind of cakey when I put it on. I tried warming it up on my fingers/using a brush and blending it out but when I do, the coverage isn't that great.It barely concealed the redness and it's suppose to be a full coverage concealer.

2. I don't know why but my mascara always smudges onto the bottom of my eye. I didn't have this problem before and looked for different waterproof mascaras that doesn't smudge. I found Cover Girl's Lash Blast waterproof to be decent but now even that is starting to smudge on me.

Thanks.

I also found that I didn't like the MAC studio finish concealer. It's really dry and cakey for me too, but I've found my way around it - I apply it using a dampened makeup wedge (sponge). For better coverage dab it on, gently pressing into the skin. Don't use like brushing motions, you'll just spread the concealer on a too wide a surface area and the cover will be too minimal. Now I actually don't mind the concealer, and I use it everyday. =)

And I'm afraid I can't answer your second question. Maybe you're producing more oil? One that definitely doesn't smudge for me though is Chanel's Unimitable Waterproof, although it's extremely pricey. I'm sure there's loads of others that also don't smudge.

Guest <3 Kim

It really depends on what you want and how much you're willing to spend.

I am willing to fork out a lot of money for foundation since I don't want to buy any old foundation that might damage my skin. However, I am not willing to pay more than... I don't know, say $5 for a lipstick.

Guest MOOVERDOSE

^ I don't even know if it's moisturizer actually, I just use this lotion by Cetaphil that my mom keeps on the sink! XD It's pretty thick, but maybe I'm not waiting long enough for it to absorb into my skin or something? I use a wet sponge to apply the foundation, which helps a little, but I really want to get a stippling brush. But thanks a lot for the tips! Can you recommend any drugstore foundations with moisturizers? ^^

Oh yes, do get a stippling brush! It makes huge visible difference on the way my foundation applied and saved both time and product. I've never used Cetaphil's moisturizer, but does it feel anything similar to their cleanser? If so, most of my creme moisturizers are a lot thicker than that and when applied creates a smooth canvas on my face, similar to a base or primer to prep the skin. Unfortunately I haven't used too many foundations to be able to recommend you one with moisturizing properties. I've kicked my foundation habit and my skin is definitely on its way to healing and growing independent of foundation. However, I do recommend you check out this site, I won't be surprised if you've already heard of this amazing site! :P

www.makeupalley.com

MUA is a great site that allows consumers to review and give opinions on makeup products ranging from department to drugstores. You can definitely check out the reviews on the different foundations there!

Hopefully that helps!

Guest Verso

Not exactly related to specific products, but where did people go for make up consultations? I don't wear make up and this is really awkward for me, but I really want to find out what MAC shade I am and what colors would work well and just how to basically apply make up. Should I go to Sephora, Macy's, etc? Suggestions? :x

^ try to visit their counters. If you're looking into MAC its best to visit their counter with no makeup on. Let the MA/SA try on shades on you then go out of the store to see your face in natural lighting. When I asked for my concealer shade I went to Macy's just because it was the one nearest me. Hope that helps.

Guest milkychew

okay so i've been wanting pale skin for a while, so i decided to start wearing sunblock lotion every day only to find that i've continued to tan. so is a sunblock lotion only good for making your skin paler if it has that pa++ ingredient? it wouldn't surprise me if some sunblock lotions continue to allow you to tan since i live in california, and everyone here wants to be tan lol. also i was reading an article, and most women wear sunblock lotion as wrinkling prevention as they age, not to become paler. i currently use aveeno active naturals continuous protection sunblock lotion, spf 30. if the part about needing pa++ is true, can anyone recommend a skin-paling sunblock lotion that you could buy at whole foods or something (please do not suggest a bb cream, as my large pores tend to make anything tinted look pasty ;_;)? unless this aveeno sunblock *is* supposed to work and i'm just being impatient (i started using it around december btw)...

EDIT: also, another question, in skin product reviews, i tend to see people mention about how they break out a month or so after they start using the product. has this happened to you before?? i find it very strange that a product will only start clogging your pores and whatnot after using it for so long -_-

Guest MiiCKYO0CHUNx3

Can anyone recommend a good eyeliner? It's REALLY hot and humid where I live so mine always smudges.

Guest pikasaki

Hi,

I use BB cream, Skinfood Aloe Sun specifically but sometimes I have a problem with my face looking whiter than my neck. I think the BB cream suits my (face) skintone well though. So is there anything I could do to fix this problem? I tried applying the BB cream on my neck but it doesn't help!

Guest <3 Kim

Can anyone recommend a good eyeliner? It's REALLY hot and humid where I live so mine always smudges.

You might be better off using a primer on your eyelids than buying a new eyeliner. But anyway I use the MAC Fluidline gel eyeliner which doesn't smudge and stays on all day

Guest AMIbunny

You know those little Brushes that come with the eyeshadow pallete?

Should you wash them after each use? Because there are some light colors and then dark colors....For example, I have white and black. I put the white first, but then i add black usin the same brush....

okay so i've been wanting pale skin for a while, so i decided to start wearing sunblock lotion every day only to find that i've continued to tan. so is a sunblock lotion only good for making your skin paler if it has that pa++ ingredient? it wouldn't surprise me if some sunblock lotions continue to allow you to tan since i live in california, and everyone here wants to be tan lol. also i was reading an article, and most women wear sunblock lotion as wrinkling prevention as they age, not to become paler. i currently use aveeno active naturals continuous protection sunblock lotion, spf 30. if the part about needing pa++ is true, can anyone recommend a skin-paling sunblock lotion that you could buy at whole foods or something (please do not suggest a bb cream, as my large pores tend to make anything tinted look pasty ;_;)? unless this aveeno sunblock *is* supposed to work and i'm just being impatient (i started using it around december btw)...

EDIT: also, another question, in skin product reviews, i tend to see people mention about how they break out a month or so after they start using the product. has this happened to you before?? i find it very strange that a product will only start clogging your pores and whatnot after using it for so long -_-

Sunblock doesn't usually stop you from tanning, it merely stops you from getting skin damage from the sun. The pa++ bit is about how much skin protection your sunscreen provides against UVA and UVB rays. If you really want to be pale, you need to actively keep yourself covered and in the shade where possible. Also, a lot of girls use whitening facial cleansers, whitening serums, whitening moisturisers and such. You need to be very careful about what kind you buy since cheap things tend to have illegal and dangerous ingredients in. I used to use the Shiseido White Lucent cleansing foam. I'm not sure if it worked, but I was definitely paler back then than I am now, but that may also be due to the fact that I've been on holiday in super sunny places since. Sorry, I can't recommend a whitening sunblock for you since I haven't tried any of them, although I know that Lancome has one - It's called Blanc Expert UV or something.

And breaking out after a month or so after using a product? That's the first I've heard of that. Although I do find that BB creams like SkinFood's and Missha's make my skin have those tiny 'spots' after a few days - few weeks - I take it as a sign that they're clogging my pores. These go on to become inflammed and like proper acne after a while. Maybe that's what they mean?

I really like Majolica Majorca's Automatic Eyeliner Pen. It's completely waterproof and smudgeproof. It's one of my favourite eyeliners. I find that MAC Fluidline does smudge a little onto my bottom lids in hot and humid Shanghai, whereas the Majolica Majorca eyeliner pen doesn't at all. Another one that well never go ANYWHERE (and therefore is extremely difficult to remove, even with Lancome Bi-Facil eye makeup remover) is MAC Liquid Last.

Hi,

I use BB cream, Skinfood Aloe Sun specifically but sometimes I have a problem with my face looking whiter than my neck. I think the BB cream suits my (face) skintone well though. So is there anything I could do to fix this problem? I tried applying the BB cream on my neck but it doesn't help!

This sounds like a strange quesiton, but how do you know that your neck is darker than your face? Is it from photos? Or in a mirror? I ask because there's a really big difference there. If your face looks much brighter in photos than your neck, it's most likely that it's the SPF in the BB cream giving you the 'white cast' look. I have that problem too anyway but I'm not particularly fussed...

You know those little Brushes that come with the eyeshadow pallete?

Should you wash them after each use? Because there are some light colors and then dark colors....For example, I have white and black. I put the white first, but then i add black usin the same brush....

If you're talking about those little sponge-tip applicators, you'll find if you wash them too vigorously or often they completely fall apart. Screw that. I washed an estee lauder sponge applicator once, and it fell apart. It also happened with a dior one I had. I basically don't use them at all since they're difficult to apply eyeshadow with compared to larger brushes. If you're talking about a real brush as such, it's much better to use a different brush as opposed to keep washing the same one between applications, since excess washing is bad for it.

Archived