Make-up Q & A Thread

Guest Nightsky1

Guest dorkhead
I have that too. I find that slapping on tonnes of E45 and similar types of thick moisturisers which are designed for use for people with eczema and other dry skin related conditions works, especially before bed. I use my clarisonic to buff the really dry areas, and then rub in a lot of E45. So, if you have an electric toothbrush or clarisonic, do that too~~
what is E45^^"? Could you give examples of those moisturisers that are available perhaps in europe? Ive just many moisturisers by cosmetics brand claiming to be for dry skin...but i dont feel or see the differnce

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest eyeheartyou

I have extremely oily skin, EXTREMELY OILY (sorry but I need to emphasize it). I need to blot every hour cause my face shines like a disco ball. I've tried everything using primer, setting my makeup with a powder, blotting, using gentle skincare products, using oil free products and nothing helps. I am positive that its not the products that I use that makes it oily because my skin has always been naturally oily. Even before I even started using any cosmetics or skin care products my face was always shiney. I also pretty sure that its not the food I eat either because even when I change my eating habits it still doesn't help either.

Is there anything I can try doing to reduce the oil?

Guest loveutomorrow
I have extremely oily skin, EXTREMELY OILY (sorry but I need to emphasize it). I need to blot every hour cause my face shines like a disco ball. I've tried everything using primer, setting my makeup with a powder, blotting, using gentle skincare products, using oil free products and nothing helps. I am positive that its not the products that I use that makes it oily because my skin has always been naturally oily. Even before I even started using any cosmetics or skin care products my face was always shiney. I also pretty sure that its not the food I eat either because even when I change my eating habits it still doesn't help either.

First off, I recommend you stop putting on concealer, blush, and anything related onto your face, it COULD be one of the possibilities. I used to have a super oily face too, but not anymore. Also, you want to deep clean more. Use soap, although I recommend Neutrogena face cleansing (... can't remember the full name ><) and try use the Neutrogena Wave, it helped A LOT, and it's really cheap.

I also have wax paper imported from Asia (Japan, I think?) it helps remove oil too. Mainly, just remember, no make up on your face and deep cleaning~~

stop using any cream or soap cleanser and use gel based kind also if you are using a toner w/ alcohol i suggest you to stop using it to.

if you put makeup on your regular basis i suggest you have your pressed powder and blot sheet throughout the day,

always dab when applying powder touch up, only use non-oily product.

when your not using any makeup always wash your face twice a day w/ cleanser.

Guest eyeheartyou
First off, I recommend you stop putting on concealer, blush, and anything related onto your face, it COULD be one of the possibilities. I used to have a super oily face too, but not anymore. Also, you want to deep clean more. Use soap, although I recommend Neutrogena face cleansing (... can't remember the full name ><) and try use the Neutrogena Wave, it helped A LOT, and it's really cheap.

I also have wax paper imported from Asia (Japan, I think?) it helps remove oil too. Mainly, just remember, no make up on your face and deep cleaning~~

I can't not wear makeup because my work has a business professional dress code and although makeup is not specifically mentioned in the dress code its sort of implied because my boss wants a polished professional appearance. If I don't wear some foundation and blush I look pale and dead.

I am not sure what you mean by deep clean but I cleanse my face twice a day with Cliniques facial soap, and every other day I exfoliate. Thanks for the suggestion I will try out the Neutrogena Wave.

stop using any cream or soap cleanser and use gel based kind also if you are using a toner w/ alcohol i suggest you to stop using it to.

if you put makeup on your regular basis i suggest you have your pressed powder and blot sheet throughout the day,

always dab when applying powder touch up, only use non-oily product.

when your not using any makeup always wash your face twice a day w/ cleanser.

I blot my face with blotters through out the day and apply powder maybe twice because anymore than that and my face starts to look cakey. Any suggestions on gel based cleansers?

Guest rawritzcynthia

i have a constant problem with my eyeliner and concealer. if i put on concealer and eyeliner, my eyeliner ALWAYS smudges--guarenteed. i have to take one or the other, not both >< do you have any remedies?

the second problem is that i have tried every eyeliner out there and every single one smudges- what should i do?! for the first three or four hours its fine but after that, a shadow begins to develop on my lower line and by the end of the day i look like a mess =[ is there anything i can do so that it wont smudge like crazy?

(I tried putting loose powder to "set it" and eyeshadow as well but neither solved the problem)

Guest xindi

:D She described her skin as EXTREMELY OILY too, she said that she could go through one of those 50 packs of oil blotting sheets in a day haha. I think this will help you! good luck~

if you have some money to spend, you can use Murad Oil Reviewer instead!

another thing I learned from her, if you cut up those colored tissue paper they use to stuff gift wrap bags, they work as oil blotting sheets too XD

If you're MAC foundation is too orange for you, does that mean its the wrong shade or wrong tone colour ? The lady at the counter gave me NW25 .

If it's turning orange it means the product is oxidizing. This has a number of reasons why it could be happening:

1) Your skin could be more acidic

2) the oils in your face is intensifying the pigments and/or reacting to the compounds in the foundation

3) if you have more yellow undertones in your face she should've given you NC25 and not NW which is more pink based thus the pink base in the foundation with the yellow undertones are creating an orange colour

you can try a makeup base or just exchange it

Guest phophuclai

I have a super oily face too but I find that if I don't wear my powder makeup, my skin is more oily without it... Is that unusual?

Guest dorkhead
i have a constant problem with my eyeliner and concealer. if i put on concealer and eyeliner, my eyeliner ALWAYS smudges--guarenteed. i have to take one or the other, not both >< do you have any remedies?

the second problem is that i have tried every eyeliner out there and every single one smudges- what should i do?! for the first three or four hours its fine but after that, a shadow begins to develop on my lower line and by the end of the day i look like a mess =[ is there anything i can do so that it wont smudge like crazy?

(I tried putting loose powder to "set it" and eyeshadow as well but neither solved the problem)

I got good experience with the soft eyeliner called essence (twist and turn principle). Though a small shadows develop on my lower end line, its just a little and i have a habit to run my fingers along my eyebag to remove any shadow i imagine it develops after 5- hours. No big smudges to. And just running my indexfinger once along my is enough to last the whole day. Most friends dont get any shadow with this brand (very cheap here in europe, 5 bucks orso?)

Using a liquid eyeliner on top (just the ends) also helps.

I hear alot of good reviews about the bobby brown gel liner, i just bought it but not with a pencil (its 50 bucks here!), need to find a cheap one somewhere.

(why is makeup so expensive in holland :S? lancome mascara = 35 bucks, loreal mascara=19 bucks!!!)

Guest reenniiee_

Is there any way to ensure that your makeup, specifically liquid foundation, doesn't smear? For example, when you're hugging someone you don't want to stamp their shirt with your face..

what is E45^^"? Could you give examples of those moisturisers that are available perhaps in europe? Ive just many moisturisers by cosmetics brand claiming to be for dry skin...but i dont feel or see the differnce

http://www.e45.com/index.php E45 is available in the UK, I didn't realise it wasn't availabe elsewhere in Europe? There's also this nasty really thick stuff called Epaderm - imagine vaseline, but concentrated x 10. Of course, there's always the good old aqeous cream too - but this is more watery and has a nasty lumpy consistency. All these products are usually found in pharmacies, and they are the most basic kind of moisturisers that GPs recommend for use with eczema and other dry skin conditions. I've basically grown up on this stuff T___T

I blot my face with blotters through out the day and apply powder maybe twice because anymore than that and my face starts to look cakey. Any suggestions on gel based cleansers?

Neutogena's deep clean facial cleanser or..

i'm currently using Clinique's 3 step in oily/combination, works out great.

just avoid anything w/ cream.

try using translucent powder instead i'm currently using too faced absolutely invisible..

give it a try, might work for you as well.

Guest coldfire-x
what's your skin color and skin tone?

you could always give it back and get your refund..

but if not, i recommend you mix some type of moisturizer cream or any lighter than the foundation.

Um, my skin colour is kinda yellow.... lol

If it's turning orange it means the product is oxidizing. This has a number of reasons why it could be happening:

1) Your skin could be more acidic

2) the oils in your face is intensifying the pigments and/or reacting to the compounds in the foundation

3) if you have more yellow undertones in your face she should've given you NC25 and not NW which is more pink based thus the pink base in the foundation with the yellow undertones are creating an orange colour

you can try a makeup base or just exchange it

Do products oxidize as soon as they're out of the bottle they're in or when they're on your skin ? I'm pretty sure it's the foundation itself that's too orange for me because when I pump it out it's already orange so I'm assuming she gave me the wrong shade . :|

What does it mean by yellow undertones ? My neck is more yellow than my face if I have bb cream on my face only... idk if that helps lol .

Btw, thank you for the help ! (:

Guest Aki_

^ they oxidise if the bottle is left open or the product has come out and been exposed, usually some products will do so after you apply them, appearing slightly darker.

if you got matched at the counter, you should have walked outside to check the shade, mood lighting within MAC stores totally ruin the shades, and MUAs in MAC are hard sellers and will do anything to make you take the shade.

I suggest you go back and return it, and match yourself with a shade lighter if you think your skin tone is yellowish, or shade lighter in the NC range. but before you go ahead and buy it. swatch your JAWLINE first with the shade. and then GO OUTSIDE INTO NATURAL LIGHT

the biggest problems with colors in stores is the lighting, its a marketing ploy (i study this in Management of Retailing for my Bsc) using atmospherics to make things appeal to your visual senses so you are encouraged to buy. but because of this, colors are often washed out or toned down, if you go outside into natural light, you will find that they turn up a different color or even different shades.

Guest GRRRf00

What's the difference between concealer, foundation, and primer?

If I wanted to even my skin tone or conceal blemishes, which one would I use?

Guest Aki_

^ concealer is used to conceal small blemishes, so they are less visible. foundation can be used to even out skintone. a primer is used before concealer and foundation to prepare the skin for concealer and foundation.

steps to apply:

Liquid Concealer, Powder Foundation

moisturiser -> primer -> concealer (liquid) -> foundation (powder)

Liquid Concealer, Liquid Foundation

moisturiser -> primer ->foundation (liquid) -> concealer (liquid) -> setting powder

Powder Concealer, Powder Foundation

moisturiser -> primer -> concealer (powder) -> foundation (powder)

Guest breathenonstopx

I have this problem! >_< I need to try out that milk of magnesia thing...

but anyways. I find that I'm a lot less oily if i moisturize a TON after I shower and before I go to sleep and again in the morning before applying makeup.

Guest GRRRf00
^ concealer is used to conceal small blemishes, so they are less visible. foundation can be used to even out skintone. a primer is used before concealer and foundation to prepare the skin for concealer and foundation.

steps to apply:

Liquid Concealer, Powder Foundation

moisturiser -> primer -> concealer (liquid) -> foundation (powder)

Liquid Concealer, Liquid Foundation

moisturiser -> primer ->foundation (liquid) -> concealer (liquid) -> setting powder

Powder Concealer, Powder Foundation

moisturiser -> primer -> concealer (powder) -> foundation (powder)

thank you so much! (:

which one would you recommend for the most natural look?

Guest good.morning

Is there a way to stop my eyeliner from smearing ? My friend said to dab eyeshadow on it but I haven't tried it out yet.

Archived