Make-up Q & A Thread

Guest Nightsky1

Guest Nightsky1

You ask a question and get answers from fellow Soompi members
I want to ask a few questions about make-up products or application in general but did not see a thread for such as this.

I'll start this off with a couple of questions of my own:

1. I have been wearing the new L'oreal Studio Secrets Professional - Secret No.1 - Magic Perfecting Base. The problem I have with it though is that whenever I apply my blush (Neutrogena Mineral Sheers Blush). The brush hairs of it have become stiff. I also think the blush takes off some of the primer some how. I had ruined my previous one already but it did not matter much since it was almost done, and so with this brand new one I decided to wait a little for the primer to air out on my face before applying blush but it still happened. How should I go applying my makeup without ruining the blush brushes? I

2. Whenever I apply mascara my lid get stained with it and I have to wipe it off. Does that mean that I am applying wrong or is it normal for that to occur?

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest hkukaudition

Hi, i dont know about the first question but with the second question i think its normal to get a little bit on your lid.. it depends how much is getting on your lid really. If its a lot then you're probably pushing your brush too close. I dont tend to have the problem with mascara but i know alot of people tend to put something on their eyelid likea bit of paper or something when they put their mascara on so that it doesnt get on the eyelid and they can just throw the bit of paper away.

Right my question is this : When i put concealer or anything under my eyes, it tends to get creased on the foldish bit underneath the eye. I use eye primer which seems to keep the bit above my eyelid to stop creasing so i dont know how i can make the bit under my eye to also stop creasing...?

nightsky1

1. Do you apply the blush right after the base? It may have not properly set yet causing the product to mix with the brush. That's the only explanation I can think of. Since it's still a new base, try setting it with some powder first before the blush. Try applying the powder with a sponge and set it using a patting motion. This'll help the staying pwer of the blush too.

2. It does happen, especially if your mascara brush is too close ti your lid and lash line. No worries if your mascara is otherwise working fine, just use a q-tip to clean out the smudges

hkukaudition

Less is better when it comes to undereye concealer. If you're using primer it should be quite well moisturized already and you're just laying the concealer on too thick. So try it with less product, make sure it's well blended and set your eyes with powder and after application.

Guest Aki_

*quick tip for mascara getting on your lids, squint a little. this way your lashes are not so much near your eyelids.

hkukaudition seconding the comment about setting your undereye concealer with a loose powder.

Guest YukiPuu

For #2, you can use a business card or any construction paper card and place it on your eyelid when you apply mascara. Not only does it prevent you from accidentally applying mascara on your lids, you can brush the mascara thoroughly through your lashes, and get the best results from your mascara ^^

Guest xindi

Woww what a good idea for a thread! It's really helpful, especially for noobs like me who just want to figure out makeup for prom and stuff haha. Thank you for making this :D!

1. How do you get your foundation matched at a drugstore? My CVS, Walgreens, Target, etc don't ever have testers out. I had tried matching up with that foundation that had the transparent sheet of skin tones (I think it was L'oreal true match?) and I couldn't tell if my skin matched with any of them ahaha -____-

2. If you use a highlighter like Benefit High Beam, do you put it on before or after loose finishing powder?

thanks~ :)

Guest Mindlesschatter0

@xindi:

1. You can't really get a perfect match at a drug store if they dont have testers. The best you can do is use the transparent color sheet they give and put it on your face then try to find something thats close to it. Thats what i do and usually i got a pretty good one that matches just fine. I hope that helped ><

2. If ur using a highlighter you put it on before the finishing powder since the finishing powder is suppose to set your makeup. ( This is only a guess since i do it this way and it works fine o_o' sorry if im wrong)

Guest t.luu

I want to ask a few questions about make-up products or application in general but did not see a thread for such as this.

I'll start this off with a couple of questions of my own:

1. I have been wearing the new L'oreal Studio Secrets Professional - Secret No.1 - Magic Perfecting Base. The problem I have with it though is that whenever I apply my blush (Neutrogena Mineral Sheers Blush). The brush hairs of it have become stiff. I also think the blush takes off some of the primer some how. I had ruined my previous one already but it did not matter much since it was almost done, and so with this brand new one I decided to wait a little for the primer to air out on my face before applying blush but it still happened. How should I go applying my makeup without ruining the blush brushes? I

2. Whenever I apply mascara my lid get stained with it and I have to wipe it off. Does that mean that I am applying wrong or is it normal for that to occur?

1) To add onto the other answers: make sure you wash your brush if you feel it's becoming stiffer. The product is probably building up on the hairs, so you'll want to get rid of that between every couple uses.

2) Not only should you be careful when applying the mascara, make sure not to open your eyes fully or blink until the mascara is dry. If your mascara formula is a wet formula, chances are it'll be a lot messier to apply.

Woww what a good idea for a thread! It's really helpful, especially for noobs like me who just want to figure out makeup for prom and stuff haha. Thank you for making this :D!

1. How do you get your foundation matched at a drugstore? My CVS, Walgreens, Target, etc don't ever have testers out. I had tried matching up with that foundation that had the transparent sheet of skin tones (I think it was L'oreal true match?) and I couldn't tell if my skin matched with any of them ahaha -____-

2. If you use a highlighter like Benefit High Beam, do you put it on before or after loose finishing powder?

1) From what I know, drugstores generally don't have testers out. The best you can do is to research before hand. Read a lot of reviews. What I did when I first got started with foundations was I went to MAC to get color matched, and I used that shade to compare to other foundations. A lot of times, MAC foundation shades are used as a "standard", so when you're researching foundations and want to know what foundation shade you will be, it'll be easier to tell when you can find someone with the same MAC shade. EXAMPLE: "Oh, I love this foundation! Btw, I'm a NC25 and I use ___ for this foundation." Or if you don't have a MAC shade to refer to, many reviewers will state what undertones are, how deep their skin is, etc.

2) Generally, I'd use the highlighter first because it's a liquid. Liquids go with liquids, powders with powders. Never mix textures. For example, liquid foundation then finishing powder then cream blush and liquid highlighter then powder blush; don't do that. Though I honestly don't know what you'd do if you use powder/mineral foundation =X!

1. If you already know your shade in other brands, try using makeupalley's foundation chart here: http://www.editgrid.com/user/apbunz/mega_foundation_chart it's a spreadsheet.

2. Powder is used to set the makeup after application so use it after applying High Beam.

If you're having problems with High Beam's lasting power, keep in mind that it is an oil based product and you're probably using a water based product with it (i.e. your moisturizer/foundation). Mixing two mediums that don't mix together is the common reason why girls' makeup don't last and they don't even realize it.

I have a question.

I bought some Clinique foundation a few weeks ago during the GWP sale at Macy's, but I find that it's too pink for me. I'm Asian, so I have a yellow undertone - not a pink one. It looked fine in the store, but now I really notice the pinkness of it. Is there anyway to make it more...yellow? Or at least match my skintone better?

Guest t.luu

^ I don't know if there's really any possible way to make it more yellow, except to mix it with another foundation =\ Since it's only been a couple weeks, I'm sure you can still return or exchange it. Macy's has a 90 day return period, I think.

I have a question.

I bought some Clinique foundation a few weeks ago during the GWP sale at Macy's, but I find that it's too pink for me. I'm Asian, so I have a yellow undertone - not a pink one. It looked fine in the store, but now I really notice the pinkness of it. Is there anyway to make it more...yellow? Or at least match my skintone better?

Like the person above said, you'll need to mix it with another product. To cancel out the pink, you could mix it with a green base.

Guest xindi

Thank you for all your answers everyone! :D

If you're having problems with High Beam's lasting power, keep in mind that it is an oil based product and you're probably using a water based product with it (i.e. your moisturizer/foundation). Mixing two mediums that don't mix together is the common reason why girls' makeup don't last and they don't even realize it.

WOAH that makes so much sense, yet it never occurred to me somehow LOL

..I honestly have no idea if my moisturizer is oil-based or not, but I'll try to look around haha D: thanks!

Guest angelic_betrayal

^xindi: To try and find a close color bring in a bottle of your own foundation or concealer and try to match it to the ones in the store... It should probably work if the bottles are translucent. :)

Guest dorkhead

Okay i got a question:

Though under my side bang, my skin is oily, the rest of my face is very very dry with patches of dry skin and peeled off skin/flaking skin. No matter how much moisterizer i use (and primer) when using foundation, you still see the dry parts and thus making the foundation very ugly at those parts.

I thought i read something about a soap that would make these eczeem (?) skin moisterizing? i exfoliate my skin very often on recommendation of my doctor but i still get those patches (between the eyebrowns, nose, cheeks etc)

Okay i got a question:

Though under my side bang, my skin is oily, the rest of my face is very very dry with patches of dry skin and peeled off skin/flaking skin. No matter how much moisterizer i use (and primer) when using foundation, you still see the dry parts and thus making the foundation very ugly at those parts.

I thought i read something about a soap that would make these eczeem (?) skin moisterizing? i exfoliate my skin very often on recommendation of my doctor but i still get those patches (between the eyebrowns, nose, cheeks etc)

I have that too. I find that slapping on tonnes of E45 and similar types of thick moisturisers which are designed for use for people with eczema and other dry skin related conditions works, especially before bed. I use my clarisonic to buff the really dry areas, and then rub in a lot of E45. So, if you have an electric toothbrush or clarisonic, do that too~~

Guest coldfire-x

If you're MAC foundation is too orange for you, does that mean its the wrong shade or wrong tone colour ? The lady at the counter gave me NW25 .

Guest crushie

1. In what light (natural, bathroom, outdoor?)should I based on to find my perfect foundation/concealer? I'm a bit confused cus in certain light this foundation I'm using looks perfect, then in some it looks orangish, and sometimes it looks a bit dark for my skin.

2. In what way can a black eyeliner make the eyes smaller? I heard if you line top and bottom (?) but I saw gurus on youtube do the same and it makes their eyes bigger... What color & type of eyeliner should I go for when opting for a subtle and natural look? Any recommendation?

Guest loveutomorrow

1. In what light (natural, bathroom, outdoor?)should I based on to find my perfect foundation/concealer? I'm a bit confused cus in certain light this foundation I'm using looks perfect, then in some it looks orangish, and sometimes it looks a bit dark for my skin.

2. In what way can a black eyeliner make the eyes smaller? I heard if you line top and bottom (?) but I saw gurus on youtube do the same and it makes their eyes bigger... What color & type of eyeliner should I go for when opting for a subtle and natural look? Any recommendation?

1. I'd say in the brightest place, so if it's outdoors, then outdoors, if it's in the bathroom, then it's in the bathroom. That way, you can see more clearly and be able to blend EVERYTHING in, so no matter what light you're in then, it'll all look well blended and match your skintone, if you find your perfect concealer :)

2. I'm not so sure about this, but once, someone told me, people who wear black look thinner, right? So if you put black eyeliner on your eyes, then they'll look smaller. I think this only applies when you put eyeliner UNDER your eyes, though. If you're going for subtle/natural, brown, but black is also okay. I use black, only I only put it on the top, not on the bottom. Also, I keep it very close to my lash line. I think any color would be fine though, as long as it's not an unusual one that tends to pop out, like red, bright pink, or dark blue.

If you're MAC foundation is too orange for you, does that mean its the wrong shade or wrong tone colour ? The lady at the counter gave me NW25 .

what's your skin color and skin tone?

you could always give it back and get your refund..

but if not, i recommend you mix some type of moisturizer cream or any lighter than the foundation.

Archived