Montreal, Qc - What's There To See And Do? :]

eternal.happiness

Hi ^___^;

I'll be going to Montreal, Quebec for a week in July (coming up really soon) with my boyfriend.

I wanted to make the most of it and have tons of fun^^

So if you're from around there could you please recommend places around Downtown Montreal:

- Restaurants

- Clubs/lounges

- Attractions

- Transportation Information

- Shopping (besides Eatons and Desjardins Complexe)

And anything else that comes to mind, thanks everyone who responds! :lol:

Guest soapja

Okay, let's settle the transportation matters. Montreal has a wickedly convenient metro / bus system, which you and your boyfriend can use to get in and around Montreal. You'll need a couple of extra dollars for the OPUS card though, which is a smart card that keeps all your tickets in memory. That will cost $3.50. You can then charge your respective cards with as many tickets as you'd like (6 tix for 12.75 or 10 for 20). You can use one ticket to get on a metro and take a bus. After that, you need to use another ticket.

The great thing about downtown Montreal is that a lot of the metro stations are concentrated in one area. Check this out:

plan-metro.jpg

Downtown Montreal is extends from Berri Uqam to Atwater. The stops are about 1 minute by metro from each other, so that's like a 5-10 minute walk between each stop, sometimes even less.

Restaurants

Schwartz's Deli (website)

St Laurent metro station on Green line, take 55 North OR Place d'Armes metro station on Orange line, take 55 North

Best smoked meat in town

O Noir (website)

Guy metro station on Green line, walk

The waiters/waitresses are all blind and you dine in total darkness

3 Amigos (Google Maps)

Guy metro station Green line, walk

Personally not a big fan (a bit greasy for my taste) but popular for its Mexican food

Chez Bong

Chinatown: Place d'Armes metro station

Pang Pang: Guy metro station Green line, walk, near a McD's

There's one in Chinatown (some info here) and one right next to Pang Pang Karaoke on Mackay downtown. Has great Korean food

Bilboquet

Old Montreal accessible from Place d'Armes Orange line or Champ de Mars Orange line

Great ice cream somewhere in Old Montreal

L'Avenue

Mount Royal, orange line, exit Mt Royal Est and walk up

GREAT FOOD, a bit expensive, but serves breakfast until 4pm.

Clubs / Lounges

I'm too young to club, so I wouldn't know, but if you're looking for bubble tea lounges, there are a couple that I know of around downtown.

Magic Idea (MI)

There's one in Chinatown (Clark), but sometimes they dilute the bubble tea.

There's another downtown near Guy metro station on Maisonneuve. The atmosphere is quite nice, and it's arguably one of the best lounges for bubble tea.

L2

One in Chinatown (Clark) it's a bit hidden and you have to go upstairs, but the bubble tea is great. Atmosphere is pretty good. You might find a lot of "fobby wannabes" there.

???

A new lounge that I discovered last night, forgot the name. It's on St Laurent, and it's next to the I Love Tea store. Haven't tried it out yet, but from what I saw, the furniture and overall vibe of the place had a modern concept.

Attractions

For sure the fireworks. There's definitely going to be a show while you're here. I suggest going to LaRonde and watching it, but if it's too expensive, then just kill two birds with one stone and finish off a night at Old Montreal by watching the fireworks from the ports. A warning: beware the mosquitoes.

There will also probably be the Jazz Festival when you get here, so check out a couple of free shows. You can get there from Place des Arts on the Green line.

PIKNIC ELETRONIK

The coolest shiznit going down in Parc Jean Drapeau (Jean Drapeau, yellow line). Happens every Sunday, and it's basically 8 hours of nonstop electronic music playing. Starts at 2, ends at 10...I believe. Probably later. Tickets are $10. website

You can catch a cheap movie on a Tuesday at Scotiabank Theatre (Peel green line) for $5, with optional drink and popcorn for another $5.

I'm not sure if it happens everyday, but outside of Berri Uqam metro station there are sometimes these free tournaments where people come together and battle it out on a giant chessboard in the middle of a park with these huge plastic chess pieces. You could check that out, and if the tournament isn't happening, then just continue along Ste Catherine going East to explore Montreal's Gay Village.

If you're not into piknic electronik then you could check out the Tamtams, which happens every Sunday as well. You can take the 165 from Guy metro station to get to Mount Royal (get off when you see a cemetery) and go wayy deep. They have these indie gatherings with drums, and you can watch these crazy fights between people dressed up as vikings.

Shopping

Uuum, there are usually a BUNCH of boutiques along Ste Catherine street, so you can probably just walk along the street. That's all I really know.

Hope that helped, and have a great time over here! :) If you need any more info, just PM me!

Guest smirks

Shopping on St-Laurent street & on St-Denis as well.

and yes, Bilboquet is a must! the absolute best (original) one is on Bernard St, at Outremont.

I think there will be fireworks while you are still here, on Wednesday and Saturday nights at 10pm. I watch them at the Old Port.

Guest xvi3txl0v1ngx

For the transportation, i believe you can just buy the tourist pass, no need for opus since chances are, you're probably not going to visit montreal THAT often. It's 17$/3 days or the 9$/day. You choose whichever one is more convenient for you. Here's the link for the fares for everything else Click.

On the transit site, if you click around, there's a place where they actually offer some discount for touristic places. I'm not sure if you can use those discounts since it's for families. I think there should still be discount thing for tourist though. Other than that, Soapja pretty much covered everything i know, but i totally recomment Schwart's. My friends here and those from Toronto totally LOVE it. so you should really check it out

Guest mz.mamiie

Restaurants

Hanashima Shabu Shabu

Chinatown (metro place d'armes)

It's japanese fondue and the place is nice :)

Juliette et Chocolat

It's on St-Denis (near metro Sherbrooke)

It's chocolate fondue <333

There's also waffles, crepes and stuff like that.

Really good!

Attractions

There's the old port of Montreal. It's nice to go walking there on a sunny day.

Since it's summer, Montreal has like a thousand festival going on lol. You should check them out ^^

Besides that Soapja pretty much told you everything hahaha.

Have fun in Montreal!

Archived