University Of Waterloo

Guest Subways

Guest cutedorkable

Does anyone have experience in the difficulty of getting into the korean language course in first year, or is there a waiting list?

During my first year in Waterloo, I enrolled in the Korea 101R course without any hassle. However I knew many that were on the waiting list. To ensure that you have a spot in the Korea 101R class, you must enroll quickly right at the time of your scheduled appointment that is listed on quest.

And if worse comes to worse, and you are stuck on the waiting list. You can always email professor Kim. He is really nice and tries to open more space for additional students due to the the high demand.

Good luck! ^^

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest flayz

make sure you enroll like as soon as appointments are open

and even if you dont get in, email prof to put on waiting list then

u can show up to the lecture and the prof will enroll you

Guest audacious

Hey everyone,

Haha, this is my first post on Soompi so bare with me please! (:

a) Has anyone taken business courses at Laurier before? If so, how was it like?

B) As well, I actually don't know anyone in AFM so I was wondering if AFM 101/AFM 102 were difficult?

c) I had such a rough time in first year because I didn't know how to study effectively. Seriously, I was almost on academic probation but my advisor helped me out so now I'm at a conditional pass. Where's your go-to spot to study and any tips?

Thanks! :)

Guest AiMango

my go-to spot to study is any random room in MC.. or DC 1350 ^^ esp during no-class, no-exam days cause the room isnt booked.

Guest caribbeandiva

Is Korea 101R hard if i have never taken korean b4?

Also am i allowed to take 6 courses? Because for my program,

my courses are already chosen for me. Does anyone know if im allowed

to take korean as an extra course?

Thank you very much!

Guest cutedorkable

Is Korea 101R hard if i have never taken korean b4?

Also am i allowed to take 6 courses? Because for my program,

my courses are already chosen for me. Does anyone know if im allowed

to take korean as an extra course?

Thank you very much!

Korea 101R is not hard at all for someone who has not taken koraen before. It is basically a beginner's course. So you will be learning the consonants, vowels, basic grammar etc. Pretty straight forward stuff :)

For your program, you have to find out if you are allowed any electives for that year. Usually people get one elective and some get none at all. So you will have to email your academic adviser to find out if you really don't know.

Hope I helped! ^^

Guest caribbeandiva

Korea 101R is not hard at all for someone who has not taken koraen before. It is basically a beginner's course. So you will be learning the consonants, vowels, basic grammar etc. Pretty straight forward stuff :)

For your program, you have to find out if you are allowed any electives for that year. Usually people get one elective and some get none at all. So you will have to email your academic adviser to find out if you really don't know.

Hope I helped! ^^

All 5 of my courses are chosen for me. I dont have an elective till 2nd year :( and im not allowed to take 6 courses since im a first yr.

Does anyone know of a way where I can take korean somehow?? Or is there some other korean course thats not for credit in waterloo?

Or even a program/class that is in the city of Waterloo and not the university?

Sorry for all the questions, its just that i reli wna learn korean very badly

Guest cocopuffs

During my first year in Waterloo, I enrolled in the Korea 101R course without any hassle. However I knew many that were on the waiting list. To ensure that you have a spot in the Korea 101R class, you must enroll quickly right at the time of your scheduled appointment that is listed on quest.

And if worse comes to worse, and you are stuck on the waiting list. You can always email professor Kim. He is really nice and tries to open more space for additional students due to the the high demand.

Good luck! ^^

Thanks and sorry for the late reply!

• 1 month later...
Guest carmanual

Hey everyone,

Haha, this is my first post on Soompi so bare with me please! (:

a) Has anyone taken business courses at Laurier before? If so, how was it like?

B) As well, I actually don't know anyone in AFM so I was wondering if AFM 101/AFM 102 were difficult?

c) I had such a rough time in first year because I didn't know how to study effectively. Seriously, I was almost on academic probation but my advisor helped me out so now I'm at a conditional pass.  Where's your go-to spot to study and any tips?

Thanks! :)

Hey! I hope this isn't too late and is still helpful. I took both AFM 101 and 102 last year. Have you taken some basic accounting in high school before? if you did, then AFM 101 should be pretty easy. Since I took accounting in grade 12, most of the material was basically review. There are 2-3 chapters that were foreign to me but it's totally manageable. As for AFM 102, I didn't really like how my prof taught it and there's only one person teaching it so I really hated that course. Depends how your course load is, if you have time to do all the readings, then you should be fine. When I had it, I had 5 other courses so I didn't have much time to spend on it. Also depending who you have as your prof, your exams are probably gonna be different. Mine made the second midterm so hard that I almost failed it. =/ But luckily I managed to get my marks back up with my final. Just wondering, what program are you in?

I had trouble getting used to university and staying away from home in the first year too. Everything seemed like such a challenge. But I guess having friends who were going through the same thing made it a whole lot better. I thought going to tutorial centers really helped me and getting notes from review sessions held by profs, TA's and SOS was really helpful cause they have past exam questions that I can practice with.

Guest audacious

Hey! I hope this isn't too late and is still helpful. I took both AFM 101 and 102 last year. Have you taken some basic accounting in high school before? if you did, then AFM 101 should be pretty easy. Since I took accounting in grade 12, most of the material was basically review. There are 2-3 chapters that were foreign to me but it's totally manageable. As for AFM 102, I didn't really like how my prof taught it and there's only one person teaching it so I really hated that course. Depends how your course load is, if you have time to do all the readings, then you should be fine. When I had it, I had 5 other courses so I didn't have much time to spend on it. Also depending who you have as your prof, your exams are probably gonna be different. Mine made the second midterm so hard that I almost failed it. =/ But luckily I managed to get my marks back up with my final. Just wondering, what program are you in?

I had trouble getting used to university and staying away from home in the first year too. Everything seemed like such a challenge. But I guess having friends who were going through the same thing made it a whole lot better. I thought going to tutorial centers really helped me and getting notes from review sessions held by profs, TA's and SOS was really helpful cause they have past exam questions that I can practice with.

Thanks for the advice! My friend lent me her notes from AFM 101 and unfortch, there's a new edition out for that textbook but it's alright! I never took any accounting classes in high school but I'm actually reading/taking notes on the chapters now so at least one course is out of the way! I figure once the term begins, I'll be busy visiting everyone + socializing vs. being focused on school. It's not too difficult but it's just really tiresome for me to calculate everything, haha, but that's more because numbers just don't interest me. :P

Thankfully, I don't have to take anymore AFM courses after this one so I don't have to take AFM 102! I've heard so many terror stories about that sole prof.

Oh, I'm studying International Development in the Faculty of Environment. Haha, it's a rather new program and my class has only 40 people... which usually diminishes more and more with every passing term. It's a rather easy course load, to be honest, with lots of readings but easy assignments.

Mhm, and I'm definitely going to make use of review sessions and TAs this time around! Thanks for the reply, it's really kind of you! :)

• 4 weeks later...

hi guys! i am going to be applying to AFM-PA this year and I was wondering if you guys have any tips for me. Also, do they look strongly at ecs like queens and western?

• 2 weeks later...

HELPPPPP :) COOP STUDENTS PLEASE

i was wondering how does jobmine actually work

like do i upload a general resume, and have to make a different resume for each company i apply to?

like a accounting resume and a financial resume...i'm in afm

the posting starts thursday! ><

• 1 month later...
Guest moonyah

anyone neeeed a place for the winter term 2012?!

subletting 5 rooms!

NEW ROOOOMS , fully furnished with plates, utensils, etc included!

all you have to do is move in with your clothes nothing else!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest epicpwnage

Anyone enrolled in Psychology? I heard Waterloo's Psych program is pretty good. Is a BA or BSc better for an aspiring elementary school teacher?

• 2 months later...
Guest moonyah

is anyone selling books for EASIA277?~~

- DENG CHRISTOPHER:CHINA JAPAN AND REGIONAL LEADERSHIP IN EAST ASIA

- YAHUDA:INTERNATIONAL POLITICS OF THE ASIA PACIFIC *3RD RE

please inbox me!

Archived