MARTIAL ARTS THREAD

Guest Dah_jOkA

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ViviKong

I want to learn how to fight and defend myself professionally...

Such as taking up taekwondoe, karate, judo, aikkido, kendo, kungfu, etc.

I wish I could jump from building to building, run up walls, etc.

Learn how to beat the crap out of someone, in case I ever need to...

Just be really flexible in general..this should compensate for all the things I lack. :ph34r:

I've trained in Taekwondo, Shaolin Kung Fu (8 animal forms), Praying Mantis, Tai Chi Chuan (Yang and Chen forms), and dabbled in other areas like Wing Chun, Ninjitsu, and Karate. Martial arts are great for mental and muscular discipline.

• 3 months later...

(Sorry to bump this topic. lol)

Hi! Well, I recently quit a dance team and I pretty much have nothing to do with my life anymore. :P

I've been wanting to take up some form of martial arts for a long time and thought that this would be a good opportunity to, so yeah.

Any suggestions of what form of martial arts I should go for?

I'm a super beginner in this (except I took tae kwon do for about a year when I was little- but I don't really remember anything so.. >>).

Basically, I'm just asking for some forms of martial arts that others find to be fun. =)

Thank youu~ ^^

Hi! Well, I recently quit a dance team and I pretty much have nothing to do with my life anymore. :P

I've been wanting to take up some form of martial arts for a long time and thought that this would be a good opportunity to, so yeah.

I'm a super beginner in this (except I took tae kwon do for about a year when I was little- but I don't really remember anything so.. >>).

Basically, I'm just asking for some forms of martial arts that others find to be fun. =)

Thank youu~ ^^

Are you looking for self defense, applicable martial arts or just sport and calorie burning?

ive just finished my first semester of taekwondo. i'm really interested in it so i'm taking another step further in- im taking my yellow belt exam tomorrow :D

Guest AtomicNorthernLights

Thank youu~ ^^

there is no best style in the martial arts world just good and bad schools that specialize in certain a sphere, whether it is sport or self defense is totally dependent on you and what you want out of it. personally i prefer a school which keeps true to the martial tradition that has full contact sparring because you fight how you train and full contact is best if you want applicable technique in the ring or street, also look for resisting opponents. avoid contracts and avoide BS also join bullshido were there is a greater number of martial artist.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest S13xFLYxBY

I'm currently training in MMA and i have past training in both TKD and Muay Thai for four years. So yeah be jealous :D

Guest Johnny Y

I'm currently training in MMA and i have past training in both TKD and Muay Thai for four years. So yeah be jealous :D

Where are you located? Had any amateur fights yet? If so, what weight class? I'm a huge MMA fan - I haven't had time to train lately but if I had more time/money/health insurance I'd DEFINITELY pursue it full time and go fight in some local shows.

Guest S13xFLYxBY

Where are you located? Had any amateur fights yet? If so, what weight class? I'm a huge MMA fan - I haven't had time to train lately but if I had more time/money/health insurance I'd DEFINITELY pursue it full time and go fight in some local shows.

Sorry about the late response.I live in Georgia alot of MMA fights happen here, but you either need to be 18 or older or need to pay $100+ dollars to get into a league. I'm probably gonna go for the league later this year. Im trying to gain some weight i currently weight in at 122lbs, but i wanna try to get to 130lbs. My original weight was 150lbs and if you look at me it won't even look close to it. :ph34r:

Guest Johnny Y

Sorry about the late response.I live in Georgia alot of MMA fights happen here, but you either need to be 18 or older or need to pay $100+ dollars to get into a league. I'm probably gonna go for the league later this year. Im trying to gain some weight i currently weight in at 122lbs, but i wanna try to get to 130lbs. My original weight was 150lbs and if you look at me it won't even look close to it. :ph34r:

WOW, you weigh 122? I didn't even know there was an MMA weight class for you that far down. I dropped down to 155 to see if I could, just in case I ever wanted to fight, but now I'm stuck at this weight. At this rate I can probably make 145 featherweight, and I'm 5'11! Anyway, good luck to you on gaining weight and getting into a fight league. If you're ever in VA you should let me know, I'll spar with you. I'm more of a boxing/stand-up type fighter with good sub defense - although I'm rusty now.

Guest S13xFLYxBY

WOW, you weigh 122? I didn't even know there was an MMA weight class for you that far down. I dropped down to 155 to see if I could, just in case I ever wanted to fight, but now I'm stuck at this weight. At this rate I can probably make 145 featherweight, and I'm 5'11! Anyway, good luck to you on gaining weight and getting into a fight league. If you're ever in VA you should let me know, I'll spar with you. I'm more of a boxing/stand-up type fighter with good sub defense - although I'm rusty now.

The league i`m in puts me against people that have the sameish height, weight, and skill. They match me against people in the league/dojo around the state and we fight once at the every season. I`m rusty at stand up since I have been training my Jiu Jitsu/Judo alot more often.

Guest homicidal glare

I love martial arts (: Its a nice experience for everyone.

I took aikido for about two years and learned a lot more then self defense; morals, history , culture and what not. and it feels nice wearing the uniform and the hakama.

Any one going to compete in Naga this year, im going to be competing in the west palm beach comp, gonna be my first comp as an adult. Tap, Snap, or Nap!

Guest S13xFLYxBY

Any one going to compete in Naga this year, im going to be competing in the west palm beach comp, gonna be my first comp as an adult. Tap, Snap, or Nap!

I was about to do it, but i went to a party instead. I am technically a BJJ blue belt, but i follow the Korean ranking system so i`m a yellow belt -_-. Well i get to pwn the noobs now, i have to be sneaky :ph34r: and now show my crazy skills though lol. To bad in the division I fight in i can`t do lower body attacks or neck cranking. :mellow:

Hi guys, I didn't even realize there was an MMA related thread at soompi.

Anyway, I've been doin bjj and boxing for a while and recently have taken up muay thai. I weigh 155 and fight at 145. (I know I'm a skinny guy). Anyway, I hope to bulk up to 165 and fight for a local org, the FCFF soon (thefcff.com check it out!).

Good to meet everyone and wish me luck!

Guest x`aNNiie.

i did Karate, even though it was for a little while i wish i did more, but had to quit because of piano T_T its too late to start again.

Never to old to start martial arts i recommend judo for functionality take downs, ground work its all there except alot of striking but most people dont want callouses on there knuckles.

Archived