Korean Music & K-drama Forums Opening To Public

soomp

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest gelliegellie

Hmm this is a good idea and bad news for some. Lol I'm 50-50 on this as well.

A good idea cause more people can explore the kpop industry.

However, there will be an issue for the downloadable links and hotlinking of photos.

Because, I, myself, experienced hotlinking issues many times. O__O

Question:

Is it possible that Guest can't highlight all the info that was posted on the forum?

LOL Selfish much (?)

i don't really like the idea of opening the 2 sub sections to guests as well....

if they really want to do some serious reading, they CAN always register...

opening it to public will create a LOT of problems :S

how about starting a poll to see what the other people here think as well?

Guest qweqwe

I don't like the idea of opening up the subforums to guests...

I mean if we can register ourselves proper, what can't those people who are interested to peep into Soompi?

and we will definitely bump into nonsense like stolen images, information..

Guest kdsnabi426

lordbordem brings up some good points about copyright. Although soompi posts already show up in google searches if you know the right keywords, I'm sure the frequency of them showing up would increase if the forums go public. I wonder if soompi will have to sacrifice downloads of k-drama and variety shows like it did music a while back to avoid copyright issues? Hm, that would be unfortunate. I think it would be better off to use soompi's homepage to spread the kpop info about artists and shows. Like instead of just the groups thing that tells about artists, there can be a page of info about each artist, each drama, each variety show etc. This info is already available in most of the official threads. If you can make an easy to navigate index with these pages, that would be sufficient for giving newbies the information they seek. And can't those pages have comments? If they had questions they could always post a comment. And be sure to put a link to the forum's official thread of the artist, show, or drama so that if they want to carry on more discussion, that would be an incentive enough to register. I think instead of opening it these forums fully to the public, maybe only open them up as far as the topic lists. Meaning guests could see the topics without seeing the posts. Then they can get a kind of feel about what's in these forums but they have to register to really get the goods. But oops I think my plan has a flaw, if registering is a requirement to post comments on soompi's homepage.

Guest raman

I don’t know if that’ a good idea. Outside people might do some profane stuff. At least in the community you have the threat of your account being deleted or something like that. If a ‘guest’ does it nothing really happens.

Just wondering. What would happen if something profane does happen and we have bad mothers coming in? That would suck. But if you want it, it would be a good try. But I’m a bit skeptical about the success of it.

Guest INSANE

Perfect timing!

A lot of Korean artists are coming over-seas to establish themselves as U.S artists.

I'm sure a lot of non-kpop fans would get curious about these singers' backgrounds!

Spreadin' the Hallyu wave haha :D

totally agree with you

I think we can do a hack that lets us hide links to guests. So they would be able to see the content, but not the links. let me see what I can find. This should answer people's concerns:)

This idea of opening to the public would be a great way to spread KPOP to the masses but I like it even better with ^^^^that^^^^ included in it. :D

Guest an9elh3art

although the thought that this would be like opening pandora's box, have to agree that this is another way of spreading the k-entertainment to the world (even if there are a lot out there already if a person just google them.)

a suggestion though, how about just opening the first page of a topic to non-register or if even possible that first post where all the informations are gathered, sort of a sample and if they want more, they just have to register. and the hiding of pics etc etc goes without saying.

I'm 50-50 on this..

Although I think the opening of the forum is a good idea - more exposure and information for people who are curious or just getting into the culture, its a bad idea to have everything accessible.

Especially in the drama forum as there are a lot of links to the drama itself and also to bts/news clips etc that could give us copyright issues and have mbc, sbs and especially kbs cracking down on us..

Perhaps we could implement a hide function or something to protect us still..

Just my 2 cents :)

Guest YUNA!

thanks for letting us know =)

for the stealing photos, can you have the option of disabling right-click in the photo section like in flickr?

Guest catalima

I'm 50/50 on this...

Even though it'll be a great promotion for korean culture, specially now that Korean based singer start they debut in the U.S. Still the threads are full of downloading or some videos whose could be under copyright specially in the K-dramas section. Plus if someone is really willing to visit those thread it'll be normal that he register.

Guest xshoeee

Yeah.

Maybe use a code to make it so that users need at least 10+ posts to download. And everytime they want the download link, they have to reply, and not a spam post either.

Another thing would be the whole thing with viruses.... I don't think I need to explain. Haha

Guest papabear

If there are legal issues (links, etc.) that would force the forums to limit what can be posted once everything becomes public, I would say that's one good reason not to go public. I don't know what the situation with clubbox users is like at the moment, if clubbox is still cracking down--can clubbox users comment?

As for the spreading Korean culture -- I should point out that we're talking about mass culture and mass media, and the only good reason I can see for that is the website getting a cut from the exposure (advertising, endorsements, etc.).

Guest leonardo

truthfully, I do not see the problem in registering.

It takes two easy clicks, some basic information and then you can access the whole forum.

If someone isnt willing to do those easy steps, they shouldnt be allowed to view the forums!

and I agree with Ladytron.

Maybe somehow make the downloads available only to registered members?

i completely agree with you ^ ^

Guest effingo

I dont agree w/ this idea...if some ppl have enough time to care abt K-music and K-drama(also the variety),why dont they register for an ID.It doesnt take them much time anyway.

If these 2 section go public,lots of info and download links will be puclic as well as translation from fansubber.If go further,it may affect on the copyright issue as well.So once again,i have to say i disagree w/ this.If they care enough,then take 10mins to register for an account.Pls reconsider abt this,soompi admin :)

I personally don't like opening it to the public. First off, there are a lot of download links (yeah, there's a rule to not post DL links, but nobody has been heeding or enforcing that and one of the benefits of being a soompi member is the exposure to download links) that can be abused outside of the forum (more than they are now, anyway) and this will also make the forum vulnerable against legalities and stuff.

I just feel that as it is, Soompi is already a huge forum that is growing. Plus, it's not hard to register with Soompi, if anyone wants to be a part of this forum then they are more than welcome to register as a member. To be honest, it's kinda creepy knowing that some anonymous people can see and read all your posts.

waddup party peeps

thanks for rolling with us!

-s

Okay well we will see how it goes and one will probably have to be careful as you never know if celebs, their managers, lawyers or anyone else will be reading.

Archived