Jyp's Wonder Girls (원더걸스) Official Thread 2

Guest `starry.night

Wanna share this since I've yet to see the English-speaking cyberspace picking it up. It's good news!

A Sports Chosun article published today (about Sunye's recent charity deeds) quoted a JYPE official saying she has been able to volunteer in her own capacity cuz "WG's album is ready" & her activities won't affect the album release.

원더걸스 선예, 결식아동 돕기 봉사활동…베트남 팬덤도 봉사

기사입력 | 2011-08-10 10:30

그 가수에 그 팬덤이다. 

원더걸스 선예는 봉사활동에 적극적인 아이돌 스타로 유명하다. 꾸준히 보육원 등을 찾아 봉사활동을 해왔으며 기부도 아끼지 않았다. 최근엔 푸드나눔카페 1호점에서 나눔문화 및 일반시민의 기부 참여를 홍보하기 위해 일일 바리스타로 활동, 화제를 모으기도 했다. 이번엔 네이버 지식인 희망나무 캠페인 이벤트에 참여, 또 한 번 봉사활동을 진행한다. 

희망나무 캠페인이란 국내 빈곤 아동을 돕는 프로그램이다. 지난 4월 5일부터 7월 1일까지 여름방학 결식 아동에게 음식을 지원 프로젝트를 진행했고, 7월 1일부터 10월 10일까지는 다문화 가정 아이들 한글 교육을 지원한다. 

선예는 이 프로그램에 동참, 오는 21일 전국 지역아동센터 경기도 성남지부에서 결식아동 돕기 봉사활동을 펼친다. 소속사 JYP엔터테인먼트 관계자는 "이번 봉사활동은 선예가 개인적으로 진행하고 있는 봉사활동 중 하나"라며 "앨범 준비와 활동 때문에 미국에 머무는 시간이 길어져 예전처럼 봉사활동을 하진 못하지만 다른 친구들도 스케줄을 조정하며 봉사활동을 하고 있다"고 밝혔다. 

훈훈한 가수의 행보에 팬덤도 동참했다. 베트남 팬들이 베트남 보 드 파고다에서 고아 아동을 위한 봉사활동을 펼친 것. 이들은 지난 7일 베트남 원더풀 공식 트위터를 통해 봉사활동 인증샷을 공개, 훈훈함을 더했다. 

한편 원더걸스는 컴백 준비 중이다.

Cr: MacChelsea @ WGHK for the Chinese summary.

Source: http://sports.chosun...cedate=20110810

• Replies 39.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hello everyone!

I am a fan of the Wonder Girls and Ly0209, your post just made my day. How I wish they will come back as soon as possible and rock it again. I am somehow new to them but why did they go to the US as a mere Underground group when they were at the peak of their career in South Korea? And some poster over at allkpop mentioned that they lost a lot of their popularity in Korea, is that true? I know you cannot trust allkpop but I would like to have some objective answers.

Sunye is just so kind and pure, I love her. No need to say that she is my bias blush.gif

Guest Ly0209

hello everyone!

I am a fan of the Wonder Girls and Ly0209, your post just made my day. How I wish they will come back as soon as possible and rock it again. I am somehow new to them but why did they go to the US as a mere Underground group when they were at the peak of their career in South Korea? And some poster over at allkpop mentioned that they lost a lot of their popularity in Korea, is that true? I know you cannot trust allkpop but I would like to have some objective answers.

Sunye is just so kind and pure, I love her. No need to say that she is my bias blush.gif

Thank U very Much, but you should thank Qoxie instead of me :D

Yes you have right. Wonder Girls was one of the top group in Korea before they left korea in the beginning of 2009. 

In 2007-2008 was Wonder Girls girls years! Their smash hit Tell me let them became one of the top groups in Korea since S.E.S and Fin.kl.

They were bigger than SNSD, KARA and BEG in that time. They dubbed as Nation Little Sisters of the korean citizens. In 2008 was Wonder Girls were at the peak of their career because of So Hot and Nobody! Their dance and song was even very famous outside Korea. I think that Wonder Girls was one of the first hallyu wave because of their song Tell Me! As they released 4 consecutive No 1 Hits(2DT too) they became VERY famous, everyone knew them, from old grandma to little kindergarten children. They brought the Addictive songs trend and I think without the song Tell me, there wouldn't be Gee, Sorry Sorry, I don't care, Ring Ding Dong. Virgina Media listed Wonder Girls as one of 8 girl-group in the world to watch out and Wonder Girls was the only Asian group. They have won many awards like Song of the year and Artist of the year etc. I don't think that any girl-group can reach the success like them  beside now SNSD. They have lost a little of their popularity in Korea, but last year they released 2DT they instant became no 1 in every charts after their 1, 5 year none activity. They fanclub have also decreased a lot. :( There are still people who remember  Wonder Girls as the queens of KPOP but I have to agree that they have lost some of their popularity. People who are knew to KPOP doesn't know Wonder Girls so much and It's sad. But I think That we should Wait for their comeback!! :D

I think they left when they was the peak of their success because they wanna follow their dream, to make it big in US. They have already dominate the Korean market and the Chinese one so why not try out in US. They risk everything for this chance. Every group nowadays try to debut in Japan but why not US? They don't have the guts actually! That's why I love Wonder Girls<3

[WG SCHEDULE]

8/10 Sun&Yubin: MAC photoshoot (W Korea magazine)

8/12 Yenny: High Cut Magazine shoot

8/14 WG Cosmopolitan Korea photoshoot

credits: followWG

followWG had just tweeted the girls schedule, and it seems like we'll be having a lot of pictures to feed our thirsts wonderfuls! It doesn't look like it's only Sohee thats participating in magazine photoshoots and I'm so excited to see more pictures of the other girls. I'm kinda sad that Lim wasn't really mentioned for her own solo activity, but I guess it's cus she's still new to the nation. I'm looking forward for Wonder Girl's full cosmo edition, and I'm really hoping that there will be a lot of pictures.

(Does anyone know when Sohee's lancome photos would be released?) I hope she'll have another pictorial or two before they leave Korea and head back to New York.

Ah, after all this there will be JYP Nation. hehe.

Omg Yumin photoshoot??? Hotness overload. I cannot wait.

And Yenny Omg I'm so happy she's had the least photoshoot amongst SoYuMin so I'm really excited. I Wonder what concept it will be.

I'm sure there will be works for Lim too in the future!

As for the album being complete...at this stage i won't get my hopes high until i hear something official from JYP or the girls themselves.

I am so happy for ye eun, this is the first time she get to do a solo photoshoot. I am so glad that the girls is doing more magazine shoot. I'm hoping

for more group shoot later on. If it true that the album is done than hopefully there be news and maybe they will perform their new song at JYPEnation Japan concert? HAHA that would be great.

SOMEONE ALREADY POST THIS BUT I WILL DO IT AGAIN. PLEASE GO TO ELLEN YOUTUBE CHANNEL ANd PUT WONDER GIRLS IN THE COMMENT SECTION. TO BE ON THE ELLEN SHOW!

http://www.youtube.com/THEELLENSHOW

Our girls work freaking hard to break into the market and now this is their started. It our chance as fans to show our support for them.. Please go do it now! They left everything to come here and no one deserved this as much as they do.

You can copy & paste this on the comment section- quote from Kristen @ fantastic

Only the Wonder Girls have been living in the United States for the past 2 years just so they could grow accustomed to American culture. Only they are accomplished enough to even stand on the US television screen. Remember when they appeared on Wendy Williams Show and So You Think You Can Dance? Now is their chance to appear on Ellen’s wonderful show.

We must remember that without Wonder Girls in America, many people would never have known about kpop. So we must try to make this opportunity happen for the WONDER GIRLS! We must remember how much these girls have sacrificed to come to where they are today…

Wonder Girls deserve so much more.

^:) go go go

Guest Ly0209

Thanks Ly0209 for your fast reply and Qoxie for sharing the news :)

I hope for the best. At least they are coming back sooon and I cannot wait for that!

You're welcome! I hope this album gonna be the bomb!

I can't wait!

Some kWFs visited JYPe today (11/08/10) ... and they're sooo luky!! They met with 2Sun couple and got their autographs!! The fans said Sunmi is 'daebak goddess' which I really am getting jealous cuz they got to meet Sunmi TT___TT... and they said it's hard to meet them around JYPe nowadays, perhaps because of the non-stop practices... ^^

xUtmm.jpg

Sunmi's

bH7fd.jpg

Sunye's

P/S : They got Suzy's signature too... JYP's girls are soooo pretty ^^

cr : Applepie@wondergirls world  cafe

Guest iamcaaanvas

i'm going to sound like a broken record but come on wonderfuls, lets come together and get the girls on the show! it will be a great platform for them to promote themselves to the American market!

SOMEONE ALREADY POST THIS BUT I WILL DO IT AGAIN. PLEASE GO TO ELLEN YOUTUBE CHANNEL ANd PUT WONDER GIRLS IN THE COMMENT SECTION TO BE ON THE ELLEN SHOW!

http://www.youtube.com/THEELLENSHOW

Yeeun and Yubin tweeted...

WGyenny: Today's lesson : Never drink coffee at night. Never ever ever!!!

cr. WGyenny@twitter

WGyubin: Mac과 함께한 W 매거진의 화보촬영을 마치고 집에 돌아와서 씻고 자기전 트윗 남겨요~

여러분 기대하셔도 좋을만큼 멋지게 나왔답니다~ 전 이만 자러가요 굿나잇~

cr. WGyubin@twitter

Translation

i've just come back home from the Mac photoshoot for the W Magazine and i'm tweeting before i go to bed~ photos have come out very nicely so be excited! i'm going to sleep now good night~

cr. yubina_dotcom@twiiter

-----------

WG's Billboard fanart ^_^

TEeaf.jpg

cr. 00laua00@WGspectacle

Guest Mia_Mia

super excited with all the news..and like everyone else Im so happy that Yeeun finally gets her own magazine shoot!!

just a doubt though, does this mean that YuMin are now somehow associated with MAC makeup?... Im presuming they are or else why would they be participating in a photoshoot for it by W korea , right?... anyhow if anyone has any information about this could they please share it!.

Sohee for Lancome and YuMin for MAC... daebak!

Guest hrmmmhum

WG's tweets:

I don't think Lim's was posted -

WG_Lim Lim ♥ Hyerim Woo

우와...밖에날씨진짜무섭다...

7 Aug

WG_Lim Lim ♥ Hyerim Woo

Wow... really scary weather outside... [<--is what Google Translate told me it meant]

7 Aug

V ohhh, hip hop! lol, Yenny popping? xD I want to see!

followWG WONDER GIRLS

#WGFacts 원더걸스가 시도했으면 하는 컨셉은? 혜림: 힙합!! 하하! 예은언니가 팝핀댄스 추는거 완전 상상대요! @WG_Lim

21 minutes ago

followWG WONDER GIRLS

#WGFacts What concept would you like the Wonder Girls to try? Lim: Hip hop! HAHA! I can imagine Yenny doing her solo poppin dance! @WG_Lim

23 minutes ago

followWG WONDER GIRLS

#WGFacts 마지막으로 먹은 음식은? 맛있었나요? 선예: 음...지금 제가 만든 토스트를 먹고있어요 하하하하하하 @WGSun

24 minutes ago

followWG WONDER GIRLS

#WGFacts What was the last thing you ate? Was it delicious? Sun: Hmm… I'm eating a toast that I cooked for myself hahaha @WGsun

25 minutes ago

followWG WONDER GIRLS

#WGFacts 요즘 관심사는? 예은: 귀여운 악세서리!! @WGYenny

1 hour ago

followWG WONDER GIRLS

#WGFacts What interest you these days? Yenny: Cute accessories. @WGYenny

1 hour ago

followWG WONDER GIRLS

#WGFacts Coolest hero in your opinion? Yenny: Spiderman! He is innocent regularly but totally changes when he becomes Spiderman. @WGYenny

2 hours ago Favorite Retweet Reply

followWG WONDER GIRLS

#WGFacts HERO들중 누가 제일 멋지고 좋아요? 예은: 히어로 하면 스파이더맨이죠.. 평소엔 어리버리 순진하다가 돌변! ㅋㅋ @WGYenny

2 hours ago

Was this one posted?

yubina_dotcom 유빈아닷컴

wow Lim... didn't think you'd feel this way. why? you don't trust ME?! QT @WGyubin: @followWG @wg_lim 헐.... 림이 너가 그렇게 생각할줄이야.... 난 못미더운거니 ㅡㅡ

7 Aug Favorite Retweet Reply

followWG WONDER GIRLS

by yubina_dotcom

#WGFacts If you could bring only one person to an abandoned island, who would it be? Lim: Sunye, because I'll feel safe with her! @WG_lim

5 Aug

^ hahahah

SunYe also tweeted a Jason Ma Sunday Sermon...

WGsun Sun Min

vimeo.com/26037646 for Korea revival. Let's pray..

19 hours ago

EDIT: By the way, according to SUNlightsWorldWide @ Facebook, the Sports Chosun article also mentioned Vietnam Wonderfuls' birthday gift to SunYe ^^ How they donated and volunteered in her name.

SunYe's hair color is more evidence that WG recorded the Mashup Mondays video around April, although it was purrplelover who pointed it out in the SunYe Soompi thread, not me.

No need to angst too much. Firstly, WG has said they aren't too obsessed with popularity. The girls happened to catch lightning in a bottle -- thrice! -- but they were also apprenticed when the Korean (CD) market was struggling last decade & are thus savvier with market realities. It's also forgotten they had begun by singing light R&B pop (see their TV appearances from the period) which happened to be in vogue then. The bubblegum music, girlgroup craze, digital music, Internet popularity, etc. all occurred later.

Also, WG's 2DT results last year kinda proved they have more casual supporters vis-a-vis a hardcore fandom. Basically, they are the idol group everyone likes, sorta like 2AM now. I say this cuz their biggest Daum Cafe community (Byulha in Wonder Girls, aka wg070210) only momentarily stemmed their declining numbers during the month of WG's comeback. In other words, Byulha didn't attract many new fans then -- yet they would lose only a few hundreds per month ever since WG went overseas as well. By contrast, Big Bang's top fancafe increased by 30,000 during their comeback month, while Suju's & 2PM's top fancafes have experienced 50,000-70,000 slumps before. Thus, as extrapolated, the K-WFs are relatively stable & their numbers don't fluctuate like other fandoms FBOW; there is a core group that remains faithful to this day.

*In case you don't know: the monthly Daum Cafe rankings in circulation only preselect the most popular fancafe for each idol group. Most have multiple such communities -- WG's leading 4 in Korea are acknowledged to be Byulha, WonderFul, Wondercuty (all Daum Cafes) & Wonderholic (not part of Daum). 

JYP had always positioned WG to go international. The original target was China: the girls had famously learn Chinese, went there for showcases a few months into their debut, & also started Cyworld China accounts (where only Sunye was really active). But WG suffered a setback when their Guangzhou trip in mid-2008 was abruptly canceled on a bureaucratic technicality (but word is the regional authorities pulled rank). This, despite JYPE's cautious networking with influential national agencies/entities like Sina, CCTV, Cyworld China, etc. Perhaps put off by the weak legal system, JYP won't let WG return there until 18 months later, when they have better leverage.

Meanwhile, 'Nobody' went viral in the English cyberspace. JYP realized WG was well positioned for America, where he had industry connections gained from RAIN's expansion & G-Soul/J-Lim/MIN's failed breakthroughs (wrecked by the US currency crisis). That's why the girls ventured over after the 2009 High1 Seoul Music Awards triumph, albeit initially on student visas (a future controversy) to learn English while gradually raising their profile. The girls performed at the JYP USA concerts, which Papa Jonas attended (he was intrigued by celebrity blogger Perez Hilton's endorsement) & was impressed enough to invite the girls to open for Jobros in the summer (initially 13 dates, then expanded to 44). That's how WG ended up with their US niche, which JYP nurtured by notably courting the Justice store chain (WG's main sole US retailer; they won't have a US record label/distribution deal until this year).

- - - - - - - - - -

More info if you're still interested....

Foremost, WG left Korea cuz there was nothing left to conquer at home. As Ly0209 said, the career crossroads was early 2009. Specifically, it was after WG won the Daesang at the High1 Seoul Music Awards, capping the domestic 'Nobody' mania (the song also won Golden Dsk, Mnet MKMF & Cyworld Music prizes earlier) which itself was their 3rd consecutive pop phenomenon after 'Tell Me' & 'So Hot'.

Previous Desang winners (TVXQ, Big Bang, Shinhwa, BoA, etc.) also ventured overseas following their own feats. Ditto other top dogs like RAIN, SS501, Jewelry, Suju sub-units. Meanwhile, those who stayed home (for various reasons, eg. SG Wannabe, Hyori, Koyote, Fly To The Sky) were outstripped by the new-generation idols & the digital-music platform.

However, the new economic upturn lasted basically 2 years (2006 & 2007), despite the subsequent international hype/acclaim. WG helping to launch the girlgroup craze might have helped revive the industry, but annual digital-music revenue would decline in 2008 ('Nobody' was released in late Sept, yet became the year's top seller) & have continued to stagnate since. 

For perspective, here are some annual stats I got from various industry reports online (W= Korean won):

Digital sales -- W45 billion (2000), W185 billon (2003), W321 billion (2006), W317 billion (2007), W167.9 billon (2008), W185.2 billion (2009), W201 billion (2010).

CD sales -- W410.4 billion (2000), W373.3 billion (2001), W286.1 billion (2002), W190 billion (2003), W70 billion (2007).

So, over the past 2 years, Suju/SNSD/2NE1 essentially reigned over what is roughly two-thirds of the digital music market which TVXQ/Big Bang/WG had dominated in '06-'07. Mind you, SME artistes have been relentlessly churning out product releases, yet this sales philosophy has yet to match the previous industry peak results *shrug* 

Overall, the promising start for paid digital music hasn't reached the revenue generated during the CD era. No wonder Kpop has been relying ever more on commercial endorsements & acting/TV hosting to improve the bottom line. Plus follow their sunbaes' example & venture overseas as well, especially this year. Speaking of the latter, the digital music market was touted to hit W600 billion this year after the Korean courts clamped down on free downloading/streaming sites. But the first half of 2011 has been relatively underwhelming, & it remains to see if the upcoming veteran idol comebacks can stage a market rebound. 

Last year, the Korean media did some soul searching over whether the idol craze was running out of steam, what with the MAMA Awards also venturing overseas & some idol-starred TV shows failing to survive the ratings war. Obviously, JYP is unsure too, & remains proactive in seeking to open new markets.

Guest hrmmmhum

Soompi Article

Wonder Girls Sunye Participates in Volunteer Charity Event for Naver

by: hazelnutthursdays on Aug 10, 2011

94dde150e4f04bb19e7e41c9b94c3386_large.jpg

Wonder Girls leader Sunye reminds her fans and followers on Twitter of the volunteer event she will be participating in on August 21st for Naver. On August 10th, the singer tweeted the details of the “Naver Knowledge iN Hope Tree Campaign Events,” including its volunteer calendar.

Sunye will be present at the National Children’s Welfare Center at Seongnam, Gyeonggi branch for the estimated six-hour event on August 21st. Sign-ups and donations for the volunteer event are currently ongoing and will end on August 15th. Official announcements and notifications to the selected volunteers will

be sent on August 17th.

Meanwhile, Sunye and the rest of the Wonder Girls will be joining their labelmates for performances at the “JYP Nation in Japan” on August 17th and 18th. The Wonder Girls most recently made headlines for their rendition of B.o.B and Bruno Mars’ “Nothin’ on You” for Billboard.com’s Mash-up Mondays.

via Sunye's Twitter and Naver

Cr: Soompi

WONDERFULS & SUNLIGHTS WILL BE TWEETING "happybdaysunye" ON TWITTER AT MIDNIGHT KST ON AUGUST 11!!!

^That's tonight if you live in the Eastern hemisphere!

LIM'S BIRTHDAY PROJECT IS ALSO BEING HELD BY OVERTHELIMIT!

So make sure to participate.

I won't go into too much detail but you can read more here:

http://otlimit.wordpress.com/2011/08/10/lims-birthday-project/

You can also contact them at otlimit@gmail.com

@qoxie Thanks for the comment! I really enjoy reading your insight and they way you present the information. It's nice to see it backed up by actual figures and there's some information that slips my mind, or whose significance I haven't analyzed completely.

Guest jcsmark

WG offered to be featured in another magazine, wonder if Jane received the tweet. The first issue of "ASTONISH" magazine comes out September 2011.

astonishmagazine.jpg

Credit challyu@twitter

"ASTONISH is a visually-driven independent fashion & art magazine with a European sensibility based in San Francisco and New York City."

Website http://www.astonishmagazine.com/

-------

The August 18th JYP Nation concert will indeed be broadcasted live to over 30 theatres in Japan.

Here's the list of theatres http://www.liveviewing.jp/jypnation/theater.html

Archived