Penguin Brothers

Rin<3

Manga by Ayumi ShiinaI was kind of surprised (and disappointed) when I saw that Soompi didn't have a thread for this manga series! <3 At least, I didn't see one...? ^^;; So I decided to make one. It was my first manga ever and I absolutely loved it (still remains as my all-time favorite). It's a very cute series with great artwork.

[shoujo] Penguin Brothers by Ayumi Shiina

Hina Mishima is the new transfer student at Tokiwa Academy. On her school tour, she notices how strange things are when she sees the students all wearing either a black or white uniform. It turns out that the school is actually dictated by two opposing groups - the Blacks and Whites. The Whites are students with high academics, the Blacks are students who do not care much for school. The Whites are led by the clean freak Shoui Isshiki, and the Blacks are led by the violent delinquent Kaito Nishizaki. Even though it means that she will be the minority who gets bullied by the entire school, Hina decides to be what they call a "Gray", wearing normal clothes instead of the typical black or white uniform. Along with her new genius friend Koshiba Tetsuta, who is also a "Gray", the story's heroine tries to break the wall between the Blacks and Whites and overturn the whole school.

I know that it's not one of the more well-known and popular mangas out there...and maybe the reason why I liked it so much was because it was what introduced me to mangas. But I wonder if anyone else has read it? Enjoyed it? Or am I alone on this? Even though I read it a couple of years ago, it's one of those mangas that I do read again from time to time. I will say that the only thing I disliked about the manga was the ending. It's also not very new (2000-2001). However, it is still definitely worth reading. It only consists of five volumes; I even wish it was longer. I highly recommend it`!

And personally, I loved the character of Nishizaki (:

Volumes: 5 (Complete) http://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=21

321bcc29b69c30_full.jpg

penguinbro.jpg

OH!

It's cool that you made a thread about this! ^o^

I've also read all the volumes of this manga and I enjoyed it as well!

But it's true, the ending was more than a little annoying.

But it was interesting to see how different this manga was in some ways from others. After all, remember who the main girl's love interest is?

My favorite character was the black group leader. I always have a thing for the mean boy! XD But I really loved the scene where he and the main girl end up in room together over night or something. It was soo funny! :D

I wish I could remember more about this manga. Almost makes me want to reread it!

Ahh I read this.

It was pretty good.

I wasn't to happy about the ending, but all in all it's okay.

XD THE GIRL'S LOVE INTEREST.

Hey not a bad choice, to bad it's not possible. xP

^ Hina's love interest, hahaha. Yeah, it was definitely not going to happen. I liked her w/ Isshiki (:

Who doesn't like bad boys? ^^* The black group leader was Nishizaki and yeah, he was my favorite too <3 And I do remember that scene. I liked the part before that, when the two of them were running away from those guys. There were a lot of funny scenes w/ these two.

And I'm glad that I'm not the only one who disliked the ending. Seriously, a sequel would be love.

I hope you do find the time to read it, 13infamyss! It's worth it.

OMG!!!!!! I finished it in one-seat! well duh it only had 5 books!

and OMG OMG! its sooo cuuute. I regretted to put it on hold for such a long time. -____-

There weren't any dull moments. I dont remember skipping any of the pages cuz theres too many bubble texts to read (I'm usually like that :sweatingbullets: )

Its well-paced. The characters were well-developed. They're likeable. Even the ones that I supposed to hate (ie. SNAKE, remember?), you'd end up liking them in the end.

After all, remember who the main girl's love interest is?

XD THE GIRL'S LOVE INTEREST.

^ Hina's love interest, hahaha.

Because you guys kept mentioning about her love interest, it made be very excited to know and hurry up and read the climax of the story cuz I know thats when it will her love interest be revealed. AND OMG! I did not see that one coming. I keep ROFLROFL after knowing that.

Like you guys, I like the black leader too! CUZ my eyes went O___O! when i saw them on the bed sleeping with light clothes on.. im like "OMG THIS IS GETTING MORE AND MORE INTERESTING" ahhahahahaha! i thought it was such a hilarious scene!!! Really I thought the black leader would also fall for her and be Isshiki's rival.. HAHAHHA~~~ and Isshiki is soooooo adorable when he gets jealous. He totally made me jawdropped when he knelt down for hina. :o cuz yknow he's cool like that and it was even at the beginning of the series, so i wouldn't imagine him giving up his coolness that fast ^___^

seriously, if i was the mangaka, I'd want her to end up with Isshiki-kun, well I think they will be together in the end even if the mangaka didn't leave the series open. I just have the feeling that Hina already has this feeling for Isshiki-kun.. and plus they already promised a marriage long before so~~~~`. LOOOOL. ahhh~ I want a sequel too!

Guest Nightmare

I love this manga. It's the first manga series I've finished. It's cute and funny and I just love all the characters.

I liked it when Nishizaki played around with Isshiki's weak spot. LOL.

I didn't really like the ending, too, because it was obviously rushed.

uh the title sounds corny

that's what keeping me from reading this manga before. but now i totally regretted it.

and yea, you might really want to try it for laughs. i kept on LOLing real bad. :lol:

I totally forgot the ending...

Anyone want to summarize the ending for me?

well, The last chapter was just about isshiki's past revelation. how his father maltreated him and how hina became his saviour... then hina and her uncle left for France. Isshiki suddenly remembered that he didn't even had the chance to confess his love but he will for sure get her one day even if Hina gets a French guy. LOOOOOL ^____^ sadly with the three guys, she didnt end up with anyone JUST YET. what a way to end a manga. sigh

Ahhhh!!! finally someone make a thread for this...

I love this series soooo much!!!!! ><

one of the best manga i read!!

it has a complete of comedy & a hint of romance..

hehehe

but yeah... i really want hina to be with Nishizaki... coz he's supposed to be with her... and the her i forgot the name... it's been ages since i read the manga...

seeing them together really looks cute ^^

and we can't forget the bed scene~~ o hooh~~ and the scene where Nishizaki always being mischievous then when hina hit him at the head and told him to behave... OMG that scene was the most making me laugh!! LOL xDD

Nishizaki is so popular here, haha.

Yay, I'm glad that this thread isn't so dead <3 I know PB isn't as big as some other mangas out there, so it's nice to see Soompiers who have read this awesome (and funny) series.

And whoo, 13infamyss`! You read it`! ^^* Yeah, it seriously needed to be Isshiki x Hina~! Meant to be (:

Hmmm, why is Koshiba being so overlooked? He was so cute`~! He deserves the love <3 I know many PB readers adored him.

As for the title, it actually makes sense when you get into the series. But I can see why it would keep you from reading it at first, xD

Hmmm, why is Koshiba being so overlooked?

I have the feeling too. LOL. so far, no one mention Koshiba yet in this thread.

when he kissed Hina on the first volume, i seriously thought she would end up with Koshiba. Isn't the manga most of the time follow the cliche stories? first kiss = together at the end. Then again, the more I continue reading this manga, I feel like Koshiba didn't actually have a major role here compared to isshiki and nishizaki. I think he was just there just for the sake of having someone to help Hina break through the wall and be closer to these two guys................. Nevertheless, I still find him cool but really prefer Isshiki to be with Hina <3

but yeah... i really want hina to be with Nishizaki... coz he's supposed to be with her... and the her i forgot the name... it's been ages since i read the manga...

I know right. i mean, im not a hinaXnishizaki fan but I would love to see him fall for her. When when his step-sister(?) was like "You changed your taste in girls?" then he immediately kissed her, i thought that he was just denfending himself that he is still in love with her and cannot be fall for hina then later on he would actually be. But I guess it wrong, the "her you-forgot-name", you were referring to the daughter of mafia right? I still didn't get the idea behind that. Like they broke up because she heard nishizaki said to his relative that his relative is the only one who can give him happiness. WTF is that? and then at the end, he would say that the mafia girl misunderstood everything and that he really loved her? I don't understand. I feel that part was kinda rushed.

-___-

Guest losborrachos

I know right. i mean, im not a hinaXnishizaki fan but I would love to see him fall for her. When when his step-sister(?) was like "You changed your taste in girls?" then he immediately kissed her, i thought that he was just denfending himself that he is still in love with her and cannot be fall for hina then later on he would actually be. But I guess it wrong, the "her you-forgot-name", you were referring to the daughter of mafia right? I still didn't get the idea behind that. Like they broke up because she heard nishizaki said to his relative that his relative is the only one who can give him happiness. WTF is that? and then at the end, he would say that the mafia girl misunderstood everything and that he really loved her? I don't understand. I feel that part was kinda rushed.

-___-

yeah i thought that bonus story was way cute. it shows what happened between nishizaki and yutaka (mafia girl) when they were in junior high or something like that. i think it reveals the history and the reveal at the ending just ties the whole romance together. i haven't been able to find the bonus online, do you guys know where i can read it?

i liked that nishizaki didn't like hina that way. their friendship was everything i thought hina and koshiba's would be before koshiba develops a crush on her. really, i hate when in mangas it's like every guy is in love with one girl (the main character).

i haven't been able to find the bonus online, do you guys know where i can read it?

I checked mangafox if they had it and yup, they do (CLICK!) or mangadownloads has them for downloads (CLICK!)

Maybe you're right. its a good thing nishizaki can only see her as a 'punching bag' rather than a girl. LOL.

but seriously, i cant still understand his relationship with his relative and why would he say that to her in the past ("I only feel better when I'm with you")when he would actually reveal at the end that he's inlove with mafia girl.

sigh. love is such a complicated thing.

Maybe you're right. its a good thing nishizaki can only see her as a 'punching bag' rather than a girl. LOL.

but seriously, i cant still understand his relationship with his relative and why would he say that to her in the past ("I only feel better when I'm with you")when he would actually reveal at the end that he's inlove with mafia girl.

sigh. love is such a complicated thing.

hehe right... he's always calling her monkey xDD

i think his aunt is the only person he's close with... (but i'm not 100% sure.. i read the manga bout 2 years ago :P )

the one that's keeping him company...

but when he meets yukata i think he understands that he loves yukata...

but i dunno myself...

should i spoiler it or keep it like that?

Its really cute.

The only reason that it's not well known now is cause the series is already fin scanlating.

During its release back then it was real popular

Archived