New Rig Build

apparition

Guest StealthGnome

Bleeding? What bleeding? Now you're scaring me. Time to google. LOL

Are the massive heatsinks really going to knock off 5C? I've always avoided those because 1. they're huge 2. some cost twice as much.

Again, I don't have first hand experience with the tower heatsinks.

motherboards:

hm, good suggestions on the mobos. i guess ill look into it when i have time.

lcd monitors:

and about that new dell 24". nice price! but i think it would be a while before i'd see it in canada <_<. its weird how its 1920x1080 instead of the usual 1920x1200 you see on all other computer monitors :blink:. i was sorta leaning toward a benq v2400w, which retails for $400CDN. its hard shopping for lcds sometimes though-- its like the hardest part since no one company has the PERFECT lcd monitor (ie. no bleeding, no input lag, low response times, perfect colour reproduction, wide viewing angles, etc).

psu

hm yeah, maybe i should've went modular. my current rig is a mess :wacko:; theres power connectors everywhere, and the ones i dont use, i tried to get them tied up and even still, its a mess (hence, impeding airflow). still need to see how exactly the modular psus work though to see if it fixes this prob...

cpu heatsinks

hm, i originally wasnt planning on getting a 3rd party heatsink. i have no idea how hot my cpu is going to be :crazy:. if i do opt on one, that Xigmatek S-1283 seems like a decent one. curious though, does it come with a thermal paste? iunno where my AS5 went. and i think it should fit inside an antec 900?

Guest StealthGnome

LCD: It's 1900x1080 becuse that's that HD resolution movies use. It has an HDMI port. Hook up a PS3 or 360 and play some HD games on a small screen. o.O

Heatsink: For Thermal Compound I recommend Tuniq's paste. $4 and works just as well.

Guest StealthGnome

What did you end up getting?

If you didnt buy anything yet, you can wait until Sept. for the release of Nehalem, Intel's new processors.

i looked at the prices of ddr3 memory, and its just crazy :crazy:. the timings seem really lax too. i guess prices will come down as always. are they killing off ddr2 on the next chipset?

I don't think so, IMO the X series chipset is going to push the higher end DDR3, and the P series is going to support high DDR2/low DDR3, much like how the Gigabyte boards.

Archived