[opinion] Eastern Entertainment Vs. Western Entertainment

Guest kelseyum

Guest kelseyum

The differences? PLEASE HELP !!

Okay, I have to write a HUGE essay for my philosophy class, and the topic I chose to write it on is the difference between western entertainment (north america) and eastern entertainment (asia). I'm planning on discussing the major differences between the two, as well as how you and your values would be affected by the society you grew up in.

For example, western media is ALOT more sexually explicit than eastern entertainment. This could make those who grew up watching and listening to western entertainment alot more casual and laid back to sexual activities in their life, and have less of a care towards it compared to someone who grew up watching and listening to eastern entertainment.

Please comment on what you think about the subject. It would be greatly appreciated and help me ALOT for my essay.

Thank you everyone

:)

<33

kelsey

ps. I dont know if this is the wrong spot, so im sorry if it is.

Guest love-yun

Hm, first of all, I think Western Entertainment has way more appreciation for celebrities. In Eastern countries, it's usually considered "lowly" to go into the entertainment business. A lot of asian parents frown on the thoughts of their children becoming public stars - at least that's what I've accumulated from reading about celebrity hardships. My ultra-Korean parents also SHUN me from entering the entertainment scene, often bashing celebrities <_< . I'm not saying that Western Entertainment is looked down upon at all, but it's a lot harder on an aspiring kid raised in asia (the east) to pursue an entertainment career without being attacked by their parents.

Also, most Eastern Entertainment is spread through the internet. It's the information feed link. Just one or two days after a TV show is broadcasted, it's already on the internet. Same with movies, news, clips, etc. In Western Entertainment, it's a lot more slower paced, I guess. We're not in a scurry to upload the latest stuff, unless in those special cases where the news contains juicy info. Through the internet, almost 80% of Eastern celebrities have their own websites/blogs - like Myspace or Facebook which exposes themselves WAY more than Western celebrities. Technology and speed is pretty much key in the Eastern Entertainment and not to mention the long list of hackers :ph34r: . Eastern Entertainment relies a lot on the speed of the internet to spread information, as well as technology to take picture perfect pictures. Of course Western Entertainment also takes advantage of the computer, but I feel like it's a lot more laidback.

*WHEW* I still have one more thought. :sweatingbullets:

LAST but not least, beauty! In Eastern Entertainment, it's not that big of a deal if so and so got a nose job or breast implants or even their whole face fixed. I guess their more used to celebrities fixing themselves and what not. On the other hand, I think Western Entertainment tries to focus on the surgeries celebrities go through to achieve beauty. It's pretty hard to get a place in Eastern Entertainment if you're beauty-less. I mean, sure, talent - personality - determination counts too but it's mainly your looks that gets you somewhere. Not to mention that most Eastern celebrities defined as "unattractive" are usually comedians. It's almost rare to find a non-attractive celebrity in Eastern Entertainment. HOWEVER! Western Entertainment actually provides HOPE for the aspiring. < I love that line. HAHA! Anyway, I find that their are way more Western celebrities that are unattractive but basking in the glory of 23981950382015839208512903 admirers and even gain extra recognition. My opinion is that, Western Entertainment = Talent-based and Eastern Entertainment = Beauty-based. I guess it puts a lot more pressure on those Eastern youngsters who want to become famous and also the celebrities who often get plastic surgery (usually caused by the taunting of media and netizens).

Yeah, so this was all just OPINION - but I really hope it helped. Good luck on your essay!

Guest kOoHII

east controls every part of your lives...including personal, how you dress, how you act, where you live, what you eat (since they pay for all these things), where you go, curfew rules, gf/bf rules, etc.

most of these rules seem much more relaxed in the west...

Guest honeybeat44

in western entertainment they don't really stress being cute and is more about the talent where as in eastern entertainment they rather been cute then have true vocal skills . and it's more laid back

Guest akajoe

eastern entertainment are more close...i dunno...but singers or actress...they all know each other and are close...like family

Guest pekkles

Off the top of my head, Eastern artists really stress performance. If someone can't sing and dance well, they either learn to stand still and sing, or lipsync and dance (or they hire mega-engineers to make the stage/lights/venue dazzle). Either way, it's all in order to give us something to see. I really don't see Westerners doing that, with a handful of exceptions. There aren't even programs like Music Bank or Music Core, to my knowledge (which is limited in respect to Western entertainment).

And I don't know about the power of labels in Western entertainment, but being under SM, JYP or YG is pretty much already a brand name stuck on your forehead, just the name alone will win the artist a lot of influence (discounting whether or not this influence is fair).

Guest Shadow5YA

Of the top of my head...

Western Entertainment has a LOT less advertisement and promotion than Eastern Entertainment. A lot of the artists that are popular here these days like Panic! at the Disco and (ugh) Soulja Boy are gain their fame from the internet. Eastern Entertainment, on the other hand, is promoted through several TV shows, and the artists often sing live even on radio.

Guest sososorri

real quick one.

eastern entertainment its easier to become successful because you appeal to only one race. korea -koreans. or in general asia- asians

in western entertainment its harder to become successful because her dealing with a salad bowl of races

Guest huongface

from my perspective, western music is looked to be more sexual. The thing that stands out for me is, people tend to associate certain music with certain skin color. Lets say rap is for black people. If a white person tries to rap, they are looked down upon. Rock and country should be sing by white people, etc. Music videos, in general always have some ladies in it and it doesn't tell a story especially rap videos. There are already set stereotypes for US music. even when it comes to celebrities, they get attention from being a "bad" person than being a good person.

From what I noticed with Asian music is there is always a story to tell in their music videos (from what I watch). Im new to the korean music scene so thats what I notice. Its more loving to watch then an american video. Its nice to know that asian entertainment doesn't parade around drugs and sex. I really like the music programs Koreans have. MTV in the US doesn't even play videos anymore. boo

i hope it helps! good luck!

Guest xboredguy

Western Entertainment(musical perspective)

-about drugs, money, and hot girls(rap)

-rock music is more popular in western countries than eastern countries

-singers have more freedom to do what they want since they dont sign with talent agencies that control their lives

-not always about looks, but they help

-talent is essential

Eastern Entertainment (musical perspective)

-looks are very important, your image is everything, talents is secondary

-talent agencies control the music world

-rock music is not as big, hip hop and pop music rule the scenes

-very conservative at times, aim to be more cute than sexy(singers)

althought some might be incorrect

hope these ideas help :D

one more thing

western actors and singers are rarely featured in advertisement commercials

usually done by models or not well known actors

eastern actors and singers are portrayed in all advertisements for EVERYTHING!!!

heck even well-known western actors are in advertisements for Asian products since they cant do it in western countries

Guest tnsyn123

Some may say that the western are more associated with sex in their but I think it depend on how you look at it.

Western videos male artists tend to have the females in their videos strutting their stuff but in Eastern videos it the female singers tend to be the one acting sexy/skanky/slutty(i.e. Hyori, Ivy etc.)

however you want to term it.

Also if you listen to the difference in lyrics the East love to write or sing about a broken heart and relationship while the West is mostly about money, partying and drugs

Western culture seem to keep their singers and actors on a pedestal in an unreachable fantasy while the Eastern culture make them feel like you know them all your life.

I think the Western entertainment lean a little more to talent also because look and body shape is not everything ( if not Sean Kingston would not make it big).

Guest kelseyum

ohhhh wow.

thank you everyone who has posted so far SO INCREDIBLY MUCH !!

it really means alot to me !!

and there are some really good ideas,

alot of stuff i had never even thought of.

its amazing !!

:)

keep it coming please !!

<33

kelsey

Guest huongface

Sorry one more thing I remembered:

Western entertainment doesn't necessarily see the importance of education. Most singers/actors don't ever go back to school when becoming famous.

I believe Eastern entertainment does believe that being famous might not last forever so some of these famous people, does try to attend university like Joe Cheng (taiwan) and some koreans did graduate despite it taking a long time but they do it.

I think thats it for sure ;)

Guest angel2nyt

western actors and singers are rarely featured in advertisement commercials

usually done by models or not well known actors

eastern actors and singers are portrayed in all advertisements for EVERYTHING!!!

heck even well-known western actors are in advertisements for Asian products since they cant do it in western countries

that's because in western entertainment..

its considered being a sell-out

but in asia its a sign of your status as a big star

Guest --hearts.

Eastern stars work a heck of a lot harder and have EXTREMELY devoted fans. Western stars are spoiled overall and people love them mainly for gossip.

Variety shows. You'd NEVER see Brad Pitt get hit in the head with a coconut shell. (East more based on comedy while West goes for suspense/thrill/chance.) Example: Xman vs. Deal or No Deal.

West: sexual, drugs, looking bad, looking cool, lots of skin, clubbing, parties, etc.

East: elegance, life stories, sadness/emotion, beauty, youth, etc

Guest xboredguy

that's because in western entertainment..

its considered being a sell-out

but in asia its a sign of your status as a big star

i actually dont associate actors as "sell-outs", only musicians

but i see your point

and hey so now theres another difference

in western entertainment

too much exposure=SELL OUT!!!

in eastern entertainment

too much exposure=BIG STAR!!!

Archived