For The Lovers Of Lomography

Guest zsuzsaBAMBAM

Guest monika j

Would anyone mind running me through the basics of lomography? I had heard of it before but never really took an interest to it ... but now I am VERY interested! What is expired film (saw on a few pages previous? ...also, I didn't know film could expire?) Which camera would be best for a beginner? Where can I buy film, and are there different sizes/parts needed for each camera? Thanks!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Uverstar

well um....I just spent $44.80 on a 5 pack of fujifilm 120mm.................................................that's the most expensive film I've bought ever....looks like I'm only buying online for 120mm film haha

Guest miiloverx2

well um....I just spent $44.80 on a 5 pack of fujifilm 120mm.................................................that's the most expensive film I've bought ever....looks like I'm only buying online for 120mm film haha

i swear to god, the lomo guys are just trying to empty our pockets! LOL

i went on craigslist and found a guy who was selling a bunch of expired 120s so i immediately jumped to it and messaged him.

a week later...

photo.jpg

34 rolls for $110 CDN - less than $3.50 per roll!!

all expired 2001/2004/2005

yay for expired film!

i kinda wanna buy a TLR now.. like maybe the Lubitel 166+. and it sucks because i JUST ordered a diana flash a few days ago and now they have a promotion for the lubitel where every purchase entitles you to a FREE diana flash. pffffffffffft <_<

Guest breathless.

^ Lomography is selling the Lubitel for WAY too much--you can find it cheaper online.

This thread is misleading in a way--the only lomo camera I own is the Diana mini, the black slim devil is superheadz and so is the golden half etc. This should be the toy camera/plastic lens thread ! lollll

Kodak Portra 400: nice colors, very little vignetting

4009336831_e4fb23efe3.jpg

4009336619_9d552ac622.jpg

4009338535_c8515923e5.jpg

4010103764_cf20f4f34e.jpg

4009336043_c650e71c7d.jpg

Guest Uverstar

well my holga 120 GCFN is here..well it's at my friends house cause he's my middleman when I buy things on the internet haha anyway look~

ivh1m0.jpg

LOOK AT THE BOX! I mean I love the ebay seller [Holga-magic] but he/she is lousy with packaging! when I bought my blackbird-fly came It was wrapped in ONE SHEET OF PAPER lol

Guest wiwi_an

^how long did it take to get there? (r u in US btw?) was it from HK? i just ordered holga too wondering when it'll come *impatient

Guest Uverstar

Hahaha I'm from Australia~ and yes that's me in my dp ;) LOL trying to pimp out my dp XD

anyway um I actually ordered it..i think Tuesday or Wednesday last week and it's now here so between 3-7 days haha

EDIT: UGH I've been trying to load my holga for the past hour and the spool is just so so freaking loose..I have no idea what to do..some sites say to put pieces of cardboard at the end of of film spool and the film take-up spool..kinda getting frustrated haha

EDIT-2: I FINALLY LOADED IT!!! :D I've got this giant smile on my face right now and it's 1:40am HAHAHA

breathless "This should be the toy camera/plastic lens thread ! lollll"

yeah this thread has evolved from just being about cameras made by Lomography into "lomography" as a blanket term to define the style and means of shooting using plastic lenses~ I guess it's okay to keep the thread name since it was Lomography that popularised toy camera photography =] and besides.. how do we change the topic name? haha I don't think the OP still posts here

but having said that, suhweet pics! I like them mucho =]

Uverstar congrats with loading! I remember I had trouble helping a friend load up her camera too xD I felt so noob coz she expected me to be pro at it hahaha

OH! guys!! UPDATE! Remember when I entered the Holgablog.com Summer Competition a while back?

I got a runner-up prize in the post yesterday!!! They sent me over a Holga Wide-Angle Lens teehee it's so cute! comes with a pouch for it too!

I've been wanting to get a Holga so it will definitely come in handy~ thing is though I have White Slim Angel and BBF on my shopping list so Holga's gotta wait looool thanks again to everyone who voted =]

monika j well as for "what is best for a beginner" you have to consider a lot of things.. do you want to shoot using square or rectangular format? how much are you willing to spend on film? do you want sharper or softer photos? more settings or just a point and shoot? it'd be good if you'll be more specific so we can help you out =] expired film.. well film has a shelf life.. like food for example. if it goes past that date then it will go "off". meaning expired film has unpredictable results, most of the time, the photos taken with expired film look awesome! B)

Guest miiloverx2

choko congrats on the runner up!!!!! i voted!!

your shots are always amazing and inspirational :) hoping to see all the shots you take with the new holga lens (and when you buy all the cameras on your wish list lol)

Uverstar - LOL ONE SHEET OF PAPER ON THE BLACKBIRD FLY. as if it wasn't fragile already!! looking forward to seeing your shots tooo!!

guys.. saturday, october 17th is.....

WORLD TOY CAMERA DAY

GO FOR IT! :lol: i'm excited. even though i have a poop load of work to do..

[ooo my 888th post!]

Guest Uverstar

my fish-eye lens for my holga should be here..or next week..I want it nooow T_T

and Choko!!! congrat's on getting that wide-angle lens, didn't they just release that recently? haha love looking at your photos on flickr :D

and um I didn't realize but I'm supposed to check my flickr messages because i got like 3 from other members and a few saying people added me HAHAHA

and has anyone started shooting photos and realized that the lens cap is still on?..because that's what happened to me and I thought I got all these great shots T_T

Guest breathless.

choko- congrats !

and has anyone started shooting photos and realized that the lens cap is still on?..because that's what happened to me and I thought I got all these great shots T_T

YES so frustrating. I was out on a photo trip to Lake Ontario with a couple friends with my Diana Mini and I swear 6 shots in someone said "Hey, isn't your lens cap still on?" Fail fail fail. There goes six frames I will never get back.

On a whim I bought the Nishika N8000. Seriously, whim. It was $17 shipped off ebay, lol. Why? http://travelomo.com/ has the answer why haha.

The downside to film cameras in general is that it's a pain to carry them around. When I go out, I have usually three cams with me: my dslr, my black slim devil, my fuji instax. I look idiotic haha. Once I get the Nishika and hopefully the BBF, I'm going to look even more crazy. There are just certain shots that I want to capture with certain cameras, and I'm always scared I won't have that certain camera with me.

Once I get out there, I find out that I don't really use my DSLR, but there is always a CHANCE that I will use it, so I bring it, and T_T. I need to learn to just use one, gah.

15db8k1.jpg

crappy phone picture of some instaxes

congrats choko! get a holga! haha.

the thing about the lens cap... i remember i left my lens cap on once, and then i tried to "save" that shot by taking off the lens and just taking another photo without advancing the wheel. so it's like a double exposure? hahaha i'm not sure if that worked because i don't remember what i took. but... is what i did correct? will it salvage that particular exposure? lol.

Guest monika j

monika j well as for "what is best for a beginner" you have to consider a lot of things.. do you want to shoot using square or rectangular format? how much are you willing to spend on film? do you want sharper or softer photos? more settings or just a point and shoot? it'd be good if you'll be more specific so we can help you out =] expired film.. well film has a shelf life.. like food for example. if it goes past that date then it will go "off". meaning expired film has unpredictable results, most of the time, the photos taken with expired film look awesome! B)

Well, I guess square format ... though I'm not sure? Sorry, I know nothing :( Lol .. um, for film, how many pictures can I take with one roll? I suppose $20...ish? I don't mind either in terms of sharper/softer photos, & I think I'd prefer a point and shoot.

I was actually looking into the white slim angel?? I think that was what it was called. It seems to take lovely photos! Is that one decent for a beginner?

Guest Uverstar

well i suppose 35mm film would be a good start considering you can find it pretty much anywhere and it does come in reasonable prices :) each roll should be 24 exposures so you'll have plenty of tries to get good photos haha

Guest xue-ying

ohhh! im really interested in getting into lomography~

does anyone own a white slim angel?

they look nice + don't cost alot but what about pictures etc?

Guest Uverstar

I don't own one personally but I know it's quite simple to use haha when the photos turn out, there will be some nice vignetting shown just like the holga's haha and since it uses 35mm film there's no worries about being expensive or hard to find haha plenty of places to develop your film~

there's a lot of examples on flickr if i believe correctly hahaha

Guest breathless.

AHHHHHHH

My sister bought me a black bird fly for my birthday !

Okay, so my sister is working in Hong Kong right now & I'm at university in Rochester, USA , & when I went to the post office I had NO idea what the package from urban outfitters was for and T_T it was the BBF ! I love my sister, wah..

I'm so freaking excited you guys have no idea <3333

(It's a good thing I didn't put in an order myself :x)

qq5185.jpg

I'm scared to open it. I'm in love.

edit: I'm so scared that I'm going to break this... I swear I broke the winding knob... but then I fixed it haha I'm scared. Two rolls of film WASTED.

Guest Uverstar

OH MY GOD BREATHLESS!! welcome to the bbf club!! hahah finally someone who has one besides me haha

yeah don't worry I know the black bird is fragile but it's really nice and fun, yeah when I first started out using it, I wasted 2 rolls of film as well but after that everything went well haha (Y)

ahhhhhhhhhhhh you guys are all getting new cameras!! i'm so jealous!! :angry:

haha did anyone take any shots during World Toy Camera Day?? B)

Archived