[Drama 2008] East Of Eden 에덴의 동쪽

Guest kdramafanusa

Guest fjkuan

I'd think the actor who came out as a winner from this drama is Kim Bum. Nobody could forget his incredible acting from the first three episodes even though he is fairly new compared to Song Seung Hun, Yoon Jung Hun, .etc.

Kim Bum was pretty good. His acting and the first half of the drama really drew me into the drama and looking forward to the next episodes. Now, I look for the answers of this drama when I watch the episodes rather than looking forward to watching the plot. I wonder if the missing parts will be answered in the last 2 episodes. Kim Bum's character really stand out in this drama. It's too bad the drama took a turn when the original writer quit at episodes 38-40. the rest of the drama is just so-so...waiting for the reunion of DC and YR, getting frustrated with DW's change of character, where's Rebecca...so many holes left to fill. At least we now know there's going to be a happy ending. I'm waiting for the BTS and after drama parties of EOE.

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the back to back showing of episode 55 and 56 might be because of Korea's next game in the World Baseball Classic

they just got beat by team Japan today (USA time), but it's not a disqualifier or an elimination game, so i think team Korea might have another shot of to go into the WBC playoff on Monday so that's why MBC might show that instead of EOE...

Guest soonjap

You have misinterpreted my point. I am only talking about TV ratings of the past and present. All I'm saying is those high rating numbers (50%, 60%) of Sandglass or First Love etc. is not achieveable in recent dramas. Even the highly rated or successful ones (10pm drama) are nowhere near that kind of numbers (maybe one or two exceptions).

I think this is an overstatement based on a hypothesis. One really can't say with any kind of certainty that high ratings as those in the past CANNOT be achieved. It CAN be achieved - it just has to have the same kind of urgency and compelling storyline that most viewers can identify with. I have yet to see that in recent years. Perhaps it's NOT the surrounding circumstances that have caused the decrease in viewership in recent years that make it much more difficult to achive such high ratings but rather the weak storylines and character developments that have viewers tuning in sproradially. The drama "Dae Jang Geum" when aired, scored an incredible high 40% rating viewership and achieved a little over 50% viewership by the time it ended. This in an age with environmental and technology advances. What does this mean? The story is what drove people who have access to so much technology and environment to rush home and watch the drama on their TV sets. And ultimately, it's the STORY that people will be talking about long after it's completed.

I think this is an overstatement based on a hypothesis. One really can't say with any kind of certainty that high ratings as those in the past CANNOT be achieved. It CAN be achieved - it just has to have the same kind of urgency and compelling storyline that most viewers can identify with. I have yet to see that in recent years. Perhaps it's NOT the surrounding circumstances that have caused the decrease in viewership in recent years that make it much more difficult to achive such high ratings but rather the weak storylines and character developments that have viewers tuning in sproradially. The drama "Dae Jang Geum" when aired, scored an incredible high 40% rating viewership and achieved a little over 50% viewership by the time it ended. This in an age with environmental and technology advances. What does this mean? The story is what drove people who have access to so much technology and environment to rush home and watch the drama on their TV sets. And ultimately, it's the STORY that people will be talking about long after it's completed.

Well said.This is exactly and painfully the truth here not only in EOE but in Kdrama generally in the last couple of years. As it is , this industry is now in the crucial stagnant stage and on the way down.If they are not careful and wake up to the real issues and improve asap and not be swayed from their theme story by the "cyber terriorists", which you rightly put, giving in to their senseless demands by threats and netizen's abuse which does not made sense to main storyline.It will certainly be the beginning of the end for them. Feedbacks should be considered and used only when it adds value to the story and plot.Writers and PD teams especially those in EOE should have a serious post mortem analysis of their weakness and there are plenty out there.Not to be happy instead of their work which may be ok but is not great as a matter of FACT.Viewers verdict ultimately will reflect the work of the writers and all production team including the actors.If they have confidence in their story in the first place, Ratings will definitely be an ally and not the foe to them.

Here it goes all over again ....Familiar senario...It is netizen abuse of the greatest degree when they choose to stir up emotion wrongly in an actor's thread in the hope to start a war when they have rightly been silenced by well thoughful soompi members here for their baseless comments earlier..Are they trying to start another one here again I wonder Maybe the moderator of soompi forum should pay more attention to such abuse for the peace of all viewers..

hmm but to argue/discuss that EOE is to Sandglass in comparison isn't fair...for a variety of reasons...if ONE article never mentioned the comparison of EOE and Sandglass...will the comparison be invalid then?? will EOE finally hold its own without being labeled and compared to a drama that did insanely good??

is it writer Na's fault for conceiving a storyline that was place in a very delicate time in Korean history similar to Sandglass??

i guess my main issue is that if EOE is the exact remake of Sandglass...then of course it has clout to be compared to it...but it is not...

if let's say 10 or 15 years later another version of EOE came out by a different production/TV station...then that version has every clout to be compared to MBC's version of EOE...

i intend not to change people's minds..im just giving out an opinion...that a drama should just stand on its own and not be subjected to comparison...

which i feel the same way with the HYD series...i wouldn't compare the Taiwanese, Japanese and Korean version to each other, because they all are unique...

Guest sujin 3

this is pics of LYH and SSH at the ending party!!

@EOE party

sorry couldnt post go onto Lee Yeon Hee's thread!!

I don't think it is the ending party. From what I read, it is the party for Japanese fans of SSH and also TBS (I think) is using this as a launch party of Japanese broadcast. I read at the end of the event, SSH gave out cookies to fans and shook their hands ;)

Hope there is a ending party :)

this is pics of LYH and SSH at the ending party!!

@EOE party

sorry couldnt post go onto Lee Yeon Hee's thread!!

Here it goes all over again ....Familiar senario...It is netizen abuse of the greatest degree when they choose to stir up emotion wrongly in an actor's thread in the hope to start a war when they have rightly been silenced by well thoughful soompi members here for their baseless comments earlier..Are they trying to start another one here again I wonder Maybe the moderator of soompi forum should pay more attention to such abuse for the peace of all viewers..

I have read through the 500 pages EoE soompi thread history. The scenario was more than just some people have been “rightly” silenced by thoughtful members; regrettably, some have been “wrongly” silenced by the unkind accusations, just because the differences in perceptions, sentiments and/or preference.

No need to bring back the old wound. And yes, peace and love is what we need here if all side knows what it takes. Luckily, the drama is going to end soon.

Guest luthien

Finally may I add that we, Soompi members are among the best informed and our opinions especially on the Korean entertainments and drama updates are well respected in alot of blogs and forumn in US,China, Japan etc and of course here in Korea.There is the element of credibility and truth in most of the statements which do not necessary need substantiate proofs from other forumns to stand tall.We earn a pat on all our shoulders for that and the number of active members, who registered since 05, who are still around speak volume of it. :D

Sorry to cut your post short.

We benefit a lot from Asian forums considering the translations we get are usually from Chinese forums. Like in PHJ thread, we get news via a Japanese blog/Chinese forums and Melyssa et al have been translating during live broadcast thanks to PHJTFC and PHJ-Baidu Chinese-speaking members. But regardless of the views from other forums, insights shared here since the very beginning have been interesting and thought-provoking. Views shared here can stand on its own.

Soompi members have invested just as much time, thoughts, and dedication into this drama as those from other forums. It's even more amazing how Soompi gathers members from all over the world, from different backgrounds, different age-groups who all share the common interest in Korean Entertainment as well as a common language, English. It's amazing how Soompi has created a convenient environment for these members to freely discuss. So yes, contributors to the discussion definitely deserve a pat on the shoulder.

Guest savingwork

Let’s play a game of "Who Is Next?" Shall we…

eoe.jpg

From DC

My unscientific prediction: DC would be the next to stand and glare in front of the door. But his won’t be that of a sad one, instead he’d look inside and find a peaceful harmonious family (of course with new baby Guk in grandma's arms with his smiling wife) who would greet him after he’s out of jail (if he stays long!) and everything is settled! :D:phew:

So what is your prediction?

Not happening again or Person XX.

Who knows it might even be STH looking for his wife/son who’s finally abandoned him! ;) Then we'd have STH overdo and overdue apology to the Lees scene ...or maybe not. :lol:

Guest Crichton

Seriously, the aunties should remove the ugly pink and green sqaures from the glass. That way, at least their loved ones would be able to stand tall while they are being all watery eyed and tragic. The way it is now, the family is forced to hunch over over, with their beautifully pained faces framed by 2 green ears and a pink goatee. Really, they need some pride after all they've been through.

Isn't it ironic, that they are all staring at LYH, one of the most shrewish women in all of dramadom?

I have read through the 500 pages EoE soompi thread history. The scenario was more than just some people have been “rightly” silenced by thoughtful members; regrettably, some have been “wrongly” silenced by the unkind accusations, just because the differences in perceptions, sentiments and/or preference.

No need to bring back the old wound. And yes, peace and love is what we need here if all side knows what it takes. Luckily, the drama is going to end soon.

Ya ,I do agree that there are also those who are wrongly silenced too regrettably .The crust of the matter is we as posters and netizen, whichever side we may be, there is a responsibility involved in the freedom it has given to express.Handling blindfold emotions by malacious retalination is certainly not the way..By a stroke , it can lead to more than we had desired or intended for. In the end peace and goodwill ,good showmanship is what it is needed most as a respect to others who are not involved.They have the right to peace to a thread and consideration too.Lets not forget them.

Guest savingwork

@ OneSky, your welcome ^^

@ Crichton, completely agree. it's kind of funny how their faces fit into the middle of the three squares.^^

Thanks cutiepie for links.^^

Almost done.

I find EOE just like any other drama, if not guilty of being too melodramatic sometimes especially with DC having superman’s body which made me lose interest at some point! But I got to admit eoe did a more fabulous job than many other dramas in that it gives us the essence of entertainment and enjoyment, which most of us use to release stress from the real world. However, if you look at the other side of eoe, it can cause the viewers a lot of stress as well, especially if taken seriously, which btw is not the viewers fault (Side Effect of Watching Great Acting!).

Yes, sometimes eoe becomes so good that we kind of ignore the fact that it's a drama, that the characters we love, hate or wanna kill are FAKE, and the viewers find themselves analyzing the personalities/feelings/situations (just like in real life/or at work, our minds cannot stop thinking) and hoping for the best for each character…We get angry at them whenever they’re tricked or take the wrong turn…be happy, well mostly RELIEVED, when things are going well. And at the end, some of us might swear to never watch another long still-airing Korean drama again. Ever… Then again, we might back out because ……

On the other hand, there are those who just watch for the drama and without constantly analyzing characters or the plot. Just watching for pure amusement. But in the end, even these viewers still have expectations/wait for certain events to occur….Ok these examples may not be the best and it really varies from one person to another, but personally the things I expected/wanted to happen: DC and YR finally ending up together, Guk accepting DC, JH, (who I always felt she loved/ accepted MH way back), and MH happily married, Rebecca ripping out STH’s head if he never//dies as she stated in ep 2.

Seriously, I was waiting for this scene to happen, you can imagine my disappointment :( when I found Rebecca handcuffed by STH in ep 43, although she had a powerful weapon namely The Gun in her hands. And for a revengeful person filled with years of hatred, she was not afraid to use the gun ONCE, or was it twice!?

Talking about Rebecca, I also wanted DW to prosecute her so bad for what she did. I mean it’s a crime that should not be taken lightly, isn’t it? That Switching Babies. She hasn’t even repented yet! No apology, just excuses. And how I wished for a scene like DC and Rebecca but with DW and Rebecca. I wonder what DW’s reaction would have been if he sees her once more face-to-face. Too bad he’s too busy with building his name as an infamous prosecutor? :huh::lol:

What a ride!

RollerCoaster-785701.jpg

My rxn watching eoe

A picture is worth a thousand words.

Sometimes eoe make me feel :D

Other times it make me feel :angry:

But why I’m hooked with eoe mostly because it gives me :w00t: moment.

Although the twist and turns can make me :blink: ... :wacko: hoping it would not get to :fury:

And at the end just like any drama after watching the final episode :phew::)

Overall

EOE

Loved it

Hated it

Enjoyed it.

_________

So, would I recommend eoe?

Yes, even if the final is not satisfactory in my book. Why? Because over the 56 episodes, there are bond to have some nice/interesting plots/episodes, such as earlier once with the kids, DW vs. STH 31?-32-33, MH revelation, DW revelation, all YCH scenes with her sons, and many others depending on the viewer. These scenes had so much emotion and plot was easy to follow/believable to some point. They are enjoyable and made you form high expectation for the show,maybe higher than what they could've accomplished, hint that some criticism were bound to happen. ^_^

--------------

I’ll leave you with this quote from one of EOE most beloved character; after all, without her there would be no EOE plot.

“From now on, I will live... to destroy Shin Tae Hwan's life and tear his heart into a thousand and million pieces!

-Even if I disappeared, don't you dare rest at ease.

-Don't you even forget! Just wait!

-Even if you're dead, I'll dig you up from the grave!

-You are to wait for it even if you are to die! Cut off your head and take my revenge!”

Credit WITH S2 sub.

Guest Sharon_LSF

This song does not belong to EOE.It is borrowed from KSW and LBY's new tragic movie OST which will be shown in cinema in a few months time..There is a link a few pages back for it.

It should not be used in EOE because of the confusion caused to viewers evidently.PD please take note of it.

Hi, I am also trying to search for the song to episode 50 part 2. Would you have the exact link where I can download the song?

Thanks!

Guest lidoaznang3l

does anyone know the last ep. of east of eden?? because everyone is talking about it and its a very very good korean drama i hope it doesn't end soon :]

Last episode is episode #56. It will be aired on March 10.

Quoting from Baidu EOE forum, the wrap up party will also be on March 10. Also it was said that there is a posting on MBC EOE forum that a crew member said that DC will die at the end :(. Not sure how much truth there is. This raised some speculation on a couple of boards because the last picture with baby Gukja is without DC so this is not entirely possible. One also questions whether this is considered happy ending. I hope this is not true. The whole drama will be so meaningless if STH is allowed to live (not even goes to jail) while DC has to die :tears: Also think of his daughter growing up without the chance to know DC :(

does anyone know the last ep. of east of eden?? because everyone is talking about it and its a very very good korean drama i hope it doesn't end soon :]

Archived